• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition | E3 2014 Coverage

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
NM8hi7u.jpg

Event Times:

EA Conference begins @ 3pm EST June 9th
Gametrailers Demo @ 4pm EST June 9th
Sony Press conference @ 9pm EST June 9th (Probably won't have anything)
Twitch Demo @ 1:30pm EST June 10th
IGN Demo @ 6pm EST June 10th
Gamespot Demo @ 1:40pm June 11th

Trailers:

MS Conference: Lead Them or Fall

EA Presentation:
Presentation B-Roll Intro
Dragon Fight Gameplay
Companion Highlight w/ Female Inquisitor: Stand Together

Twitch.tv Demo: Skip ahead to 1:44, features combat, exploration and dialog with a Female Qunari Mage Player Character
Alternate YouTube Link

IGN Video, Same as the Twitch demo, but the IQ is a lot better along with some new info.

Polygon Interview, confirms free-cam at all times, can explore and fight from top down.

Screenshots:

Twitch Demo Official Screens

Gamersyde said:

Press:

The Escapist: Dragon Age: Inquisition - Biggest RPG Ever Created by BioWare

• "In Dragon Age: Inquisition, there are nine followers for you to find and recruit, the most of any Dragon Age game to date."
  • "Ten massive, open living regions that span two nations."
  • "Your Inquisitor will be uniquely yours with four playable races, two genders, and a choice of voices, as well as our unique, brand new facial customization system that offers over a billion possible faces."
  • "Twenty-one different combat skill tees with over 250 combat abilities, talents, and upgrades allow you to fight the way you want."
  • "16 million armor combinations that can be equipped on both you and your followers."

IGN: "PREMIERE CONTENT" COMING FIRST TO XBOX

VentureBeat: In Dragon Age: Inquisition, you can build (or ruin) friendships, appoint leaders, and create an all-pink army

GamesRadar: Here's how building and commanding the Inquisition works in Dragon Age

GamesRadar said:
You must also send operatives from your party of playable characters to embark on missions on your behalf--and these won't always go down as planned. In my demo, a party member is sent to go undercover and infiltrate a Mage stronghold. Unfortunately, by the time the player's party arrives to mop up, said party member has been captured and is being tortured. We recover her, but she (understandably) has developed a hatred for Mages--so, during a crucial interaction with the stronghold's Mage leader, she has little patience for words, and goes on a murderous rampage of revenge. Would this have played out differently had another party member been sent in her stead? Oh, yes--or so I'm told. Seeing as Dragon Age: Inquisition is packed with moments like these, I can't wait to see what else is in store.

Other Shit:

Maclimes: Dragon Age: Inquisition: What We Know - Great breakdown of confirmed and highly suggested info on DAI. Great way to get a good overview of what to expect from DAI.

DragonAge.com Updates:

Characters:

Blackwall:

blackwall-profile-260px.jpg

Character Prole: Blackwall

The Grey Wardens hold a lonely vigil, enduring lives of hardship and sacrifice to protect the world from an evil that can never truly be conquered. Few would volunteer for this: the suffering, isolation, and promise of a violent death. But the path of a Warden is also one of valor, and those who give themselves to the cause are rewarded with the knowledge that they have become something more than they were. Blackwall is one of the rare few Wardens who chose, of his own accord, to pick up the shield. He believes so wholeheartedly in the noble ideal of the Grey Wardens that he would rather have this life than any other.

Sera:

sera-profile-260px.jpg

Character Profile: Sera

Sera is impulsive and revels in the moment. For her, it's not about what's right, it's about what's right now. In the Friends of Red Jenny, she humbled authority and had fun doing it. But now the nobility are being not just selfish but blind. War, demons, a torn sky: these are more than troubling—they're terrifying. Fortunately, Sera and her "friends" can be frightening, too, and if she needs to put an arrow through some baddies so regular people can sleep at night, so be it. Sera fights for those caught in the middle, but she also needs order restored. The world has to be normal so she can play.

The Iron Bull:

ironbull-profile-260px.jpg

Character Profile: The Iron Bull

Qunari are known across Thedas as the brutal horned giants who descended from the north to nearly conquer the continent. These ruthless followers of a harsh philosophy enforce their will through the Ben-Hassrath: their spies and secret police. One brilliant agent did it all, hunting spies, rebels, and deserters until the day he finally broke. To preserve a valuable asset, his superiors sent him to Orlais to observe and report… and the Iron Bull was born.

Today, Bull’s Chargers are famous mercenaries, fiercely loyal to the huge Qunari warrior who leads them into battles and taverns with equal enthusiasm. The Iron Bull still sends the Ben-Hassrath reports, but years of living outside Qunari rules have him wondering which identity is really him. Whoever he is, he’s more than happy to join the Inquisition and get paid to kill demons.

Welcome back Freddie Prinze Jr to voice Iron Bull. Interview below.

Under the Horns

Cole:

cole-profile-260x260.jpg

Character Profile: Cole

He is a ghost in the shadows, walking unnoticed through crowds. He can slit an enemy's throat before they even realize he's there, and slip away, never to be seen again. Those few who do notice him soon forget he ever existed… and Cole isn't certain that he does exist. He is a spirit, impossibly caught between the immaterial realm of the Fade and the confusing realities of our physical world, but does that make him real? Does it make him human or a demonic pretender, as some believe?

All Cole knows for certain is that the world is full of pain and he must find his place within it. Those who wish to restore order and help the helpless will find him a strange but unwavering ally. Those who use their power for selfish reasons may never see Cole again—if they remember that he was there to begin with.

Dorian:

dorian-profile-260x260.jpg

Being from a proud bloodline of the Tevinter Imperium has its advantages: Dorian was born with a flair for magic that made him the envy of his peers. He is charming and confident, his wit as sharp as any blade, and if some suggest his manner cocky, it could be attributed to being a powerful mage in a land where mages rule. Indeed, Dorian would be the pride of his family—if he didn't oppose everything his homeland has come to stand for. He wears the labels of "pariah" and "outcast" proudly, knowing that views of the Imperium are unlikely to change until and unless someone of his ability stands up to make a difference.

Solas:

solas-profile-260x260.jpg

Character Profile: Solas

Solas has spent his life as an apostate, living in the wilderness well away from the civilized world and those who would shackle him for what he is. He mastered his magic without the help of tutors, spending years exploring the spirit realm of the Fade and coming to an understanding of its denizens that few others could claim. He would be happiest left alone to sleep in ancient ruins, searching for memories and knowledge that has been lost for ages, but the Breach in the sky threatens all worlds.

At a time when other mages flee into hiding, Solas has put his freedom at risk by emerging from the shadows to assist those who would combat the chaos. He will not stand idly by when his knowledge of the arcane could mean the difference between salvation and utter destruction.

Cassandra Pentaghast:

cassandra-profile-260px.jpg

Character Profile: Cassandra

Varric Tethras:

varric-profile-260px.jpg

Character Profile: Varric

Valygar

I don't know if it is the resolution, but there are parts that seem impressive and other ones look a bit... simple? with not many detail, empty background.
It's hard to know if there is gameplay or not, it seems to go even more action-rpg so I hope it commits fully, it will be better than a middle compromise..

Renekton

I don't know if it is the resolution, but there are parts that seem impressive and other ones look a bit... simple? with not many detail, empty background.
It's hard to know if there is gameplay or not, it seems to go even more action-rpg so I hope it commits fully, it will be better than a middle compromise..
Seems like they were all prerendered cutscenes?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Seems like they were all prerendered cutscenes?

I don't think so, the shots that look worse to me were the ones that looked most like they pre-rendered, where as the ones that seems the most likely to be gameplay looked the best, like the dragon fight and stuff.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't think so, the shots that look worse to me were the ones that looked most like they pre-rendered, where as the ones that seems the most likely to be gameplay looked the best, like the dragon fight and stuff.

Certainly a better issue than the opposite.

There are parts where it looked great and others where it didn't. Since everything is compressed these days, I try to just focus on story, gameplay and other non-IQ things for games.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
There are parts where it looked great and others where it didn't. Since everything is compressed these days, I try to just focus on story, gameplay and other non-IQ things for games.

Agreed, that's why I'm much more excited for the actual gameplay demos this afternoon. We know the game looks really great for the most part, the true test will be whether or not the story is solid and the gameplay is good.

Looked OK but sort of generic as a trailer. Really disappointed they went right back to the Chosen One with superpowers shtick. That was the one nice idea they attempted with DA2.

The combat looked really twitchy and action based too. I don't know if that was just for a trailer but I don't want an action rpg , I want a tactical party based RPG.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Game looks good, but man...those animations..they REALLY need better animations.

The only animations that look bad to me are the over the top action ones. Fighting the giant salamander looked silly and then at the end with Leliana twirling over guys looked bad, but everything has looked more than acceptable. Though the facial animations weren't all that hot either, character models look good but they generally had dead eyes, they need to get some eye movement animations up in there.

Ploid 3.0

So excited for this game, I can't wait eeeeee. What's the deal with the lack of party RPGs lately, well since the JRPG variety has been lacking to me.

megalowho

The environments look lush and gorgeous but the faces not so much. Like talking action figures. Hope it works better as a stylized part of the game than in trailer/screenshot form.

Asbear

Banned
Trailer felt super generic. I hope we get something much better with the EA conference.

I second this.

I can't help but feel like they're trying too hard to make it blockbuster. The trailer went for the same tearjerker style that Mass Effect 3 tried to go for, and that leaves me pretty anxious of what the full game might turn out to be.

Prax

Has an ugly cartoon look. i.e. .. melted softshaded plasticine feel.
It's.. not stylized in a good way. :l

But I'm looking forward to continue my journey of possibly being a jerk to Morrigan. lol

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
EA conference just started. Don't know when they'll show DAI.

Edit: Seems like they're showing it right now.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ehh that was kind of disappointing, what was there looked good, but it was like all of 1 minute long. It was nice they used a Female Inquisitor, but not so much that they only mentioned tactical with just an image and didn't actually show a combat demo of it in contract to the more actiony one against the dragon.

Simzyy

I mean it doesn't look as good as the Witcher, but man. I cannot wait for Dragon Age Inquisition. Looks like such a massive improvement over 2.

Trigger

Gameplay looked fun. I've stopped trying to hope it'll be anything close to Origins and accepted the series for what it is now. I also found the character highlights a little cheesy.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I would have liked to see more in-game footage of the tactical combat.

Hopefully the Gametrailers event at 4pm EST has some. If not we still have the Twitch and IGN demos tomorrow and the Gamespot demo on Wednesday. Between the four we should get some good demonstrations of tactical combat. If we don't I will be quite mad and a good deal hesitant about the direction of the combat compared to what they've said and shown up until now.

Durante

Hopefully the Gametrailers event at 4pm EST has some. If not we still have the Twitch and IGN demos tomorrow and the Gamespot demo on Wednesday. Between the four we should get some good demonstrations of tactical combat. If we don't I will be quite mad and a good deal hesitant about the direction of the combat compared to what they've said and shown up until now.
I'd prepare for disappointment if I were you.

I don't think there's a worthwhile tactical RPG out there which doesn't have friendly fire on its default difficulty.

Grisby

I think it looks great. Huge, gigantic leap over DA2.

Looks like Morrigan's in one of those screenies. At least, her outfit.

Violet_0

Banned
looking forward to it - which is surprising to me really, since I've played DA2. I think the game shows promise

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'd prepare for disappointment if I were you.

I don't think there's a worthwhile tactical RPG out there which doesn't have friendly fire on its default difficulty.

I'm not looking for or expecting the pinnacle in tactical party combat, but that doesn't mean it can't be a solid and fun combat system without some of the more hardcore elements on default. Plus we don't even know yet if FF is off by default yet.

Durante

I'm not looking for or expecting the pinnacle in tactical party combat, but that doesn't mean it can't be a solid and fun combat system without some of the more hardcore elements on default.
The presence or absence of friendly fire informs both encounter design and skill design, which are pretty much the core of the tactical gameplay in a party-based CRPG. It's decidedly not something you can make optional and expect unchanged encounters and skills to work with.

Plus we don't even know yet if FF is off by default yet.
The only thing they need to do to immediately get me back on board with this game is announce that FF is on at the default difficulty level.

But that won't happen, since you can't have FF on and have people fighting action-packed battles as a single character -- at least not while maintaining any semblance of overall difficulty.

I was feeling the orchestra, but I see there's still no collision detection. I'm still excited for it, but won't buy it day one on principal after Dragon Age 2

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The presence or absence of friendly fire informs both encounter design and skill design, which are pretty much the core of the tactical gameplay in a party-based CRPG. It's decidedly not something you can make optional and expect unchanged encounters and skills to work with.

The only thing they need to do to immediately get me back on board with this game is announce that FF is on at the default difficulty level.

But that won't happen, since you can't have FF on and have people fighting action-packed battles as a single character -- at least not while maintaining any semblance of overall difficulty.

We'll see, hopefully they'll have a decent amount of info in 8 minutes on the GT demo.

Lol. "Hey guys we have this action combat!" Shows clusterfuck of chaotic hack and slash footage. "Or you can use the totally revamped combat tactical camera!" Shows 2 seconds of a PowerPoint slide screenshot.

Top Bottom