• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Big Planet 3 Shown PS4 (November 2014)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I've never minded them either. A lot of the time the physics stuff allows for some crazy ass things to happen.

LBP has some very loose platforming based on momentum, but there is so much to it that it makes it difficult to hit the sweet spot like you can in say mario. Not that this is an awful thing, I Just think too many people expected that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
LBP has some very loose platforming based on momentum, but there is so much to it that it makes it difficult to hit the sweet spot like you can in say mario. Not that this is an awful thing, I Just think too many people expected that.

Yep. The biggest difference being that most great LBP levels are designed not around hitting sweet spots but getting a flow with the momentum. Those levels focusing on sweet spots a la Mario definitely were not as fun as they did not take advantage of the engine and physics as best they could. In the end, two different types of platformers to please different crowds.

I just released that the painting in the trailer that sackboy was painting a moustache for was The Order 1886

lol good play

I'd like to also add that likely dlc will be crossed over to this game seeing as sackboy was dressed as Delsin Rowe and that those multiple sackboy reviews where all dressed in dlc costumes

wouwie

Having watched a few videos (including the presentation on the playstation youtube channel), i'm onboard again. I can't say no to a new LBP and the addition of new characters sounds interesting. Apparently, the PS4 version will add extra resolution (and better framerate, i presume), share features and support for the touch pad. I can't help but feel that it is a missed opportunity but it's better than nothing at all.

Also, i'm actually looking forward to replaying my favourite community levels from 1 and 2. I wonder if there will be a way to replay the story levels from LBP 1&2. Now that would be awesome but i assume this will not happen.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Also, i'm actually looking forward to replaying my favourite community levels from 1 and 2. I wonder if there will be a way to replay the story levels from LBP 1&2. Now that would be awesome but i assume this will not happen.

That would be fantastic. If they allow all previous player made levels, then they must already provide support for all previous stickers, materials, sounds and and costumes. Which means most of the content would be included already. Making the levels very possible.

Since they gave away 1, 2 and Karting on Plus over the years, if they allow import of all those levels somehow it would be an amazing package on PS4 with the improved visual fidelity.

I am still kind of sad we never got proper fluid dynamics. Maybe on a full blown PS4 game at some point.

I wonder how indicative Youtube views are when trying to measure the hype of a game. I've been looking up several videos of E3 trailers uploaded by their official channels, and there are some interesting numbers. LittleBigPlanet 3 already has over 2.5 million views for its announce trailer, which strikes me as an awful lot, especially when Uncharted 4, an instalment in a much bigger franchise, is approaching 3 million.

I don't think anybody was really thinking about the series going in to E3, what with MediaMolecule moving on to new things and the Vita version not selling all that well, but the response to the logo suddenly appearing during Sony's conference was pretty big. I like to think that the thirst is definitely there for more Sackboy adventures.

One thing is for sure, Super LBP Fighter II Turbo - Tournament Edition is going to be glorious to play on the PS4.

Man this makes me think that whoever didnt like LBP either: never tried the community levels or have no soul or friends.

I had so much laughs at these levels from the crazy shitty ones to the crazy awesome ones. This game is simply awesome. The floaty controls was never a problem for me and even if it was, it would be such a small complaint to the amount of fun you can have with this series. Mediamolecule is really fucking awesome lol

Guys guys.

I just played the Create Mode in LBP2 for 5 hours straight. :O

The hype is real. I have three levels I never published plus a ongoing little metroidvania spanning four levels that I need to finish. I need to get on that.

Love the LBP series and can't wait to try out all the new features. :D

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Guys guys.

I just played the Create Mode in LBP2 for 5 hours straight. :O

The hype is real. I have three levels I never published plus a ongoing little metroidvania spanning four levels that I need to finish. I need to get on that.

Love the LBP series and can't wait to try out all the new features. :D

I've got 10 levels I've never publish, though only three of them did I actually put some serious effort into. The others were just for goofing around or brief concepts.

I wonder how indicative Youtube views are when trying to measure the hype of a game. I've been looking up several videos of E3 trailers uploaded by their official channels, and there are some interesting numbers. LittleBigPlanet 3 already has over 2.5 million views for its announce trailer, which strikes me as an awful lot, especially when Uncharted 4, an instalment in a much bigger franchise, is approaching 3 million.

I don't think anybody was really thinking about the series going in to E3, what with MediaMolecule moving on to new things and the Vita version not selling all that well, but the response to the logo suddenly appearing during Sony's conference was pretty big. I like to think that the thirst is definitely there for more Sackboy adventures.
LBP3 is being played as an ad on youtube.

From what I've heard, this counts as a view if the person doesn't skip the ad.

It inflates the view count, so comparisons are less usefull.

This is the only reason I haven't sold my copy of LittleBigPlanet 1. Always liked the charm of LBP1's story over LBP2's. Voice acting removed some of the charm for me.

Creaking

This is the only reason I haven't sold my copy of LittleBigPlanet 1. Always liked the charm of LBP1's story over LBP2's. Voice acting removed some of the charm for me.

Yeah, voice acting and the use of Sackboy-like characters instead of the hand-crafted out of the in-game materials characters both sort of lowered the charm a bit for me as well. That and I think LBP1 had better music and I enjoyed the worldy themed areas of 1 (Mexico, Japan, India, etc.) over the era/style themed areas of 2 (Steampunk, Renaissance, Industrial, etc.), though I'm not sure I could say why exactly. Maybe it's due again to the deal with the characters.

Doncortez

Did they stealthy delay this game after announcing that it will come out in November? The Playstation store pre order page have this game coming out on 3/31/2015 when the other pre order games shows their exact date.

Did they stealthy delay this game after announcing that it will come out in November? The Playstation store pre order page have this game coming out on 3/31/2015 when the other pre order games shows their exact date.
March 31st is the end of their fiscal year, so it's propably a placeholder date if you ask me.

Zen

Banned
I am optimistic about this game it does seem to have some pseudo 3D elements now, shame that they did not introduce true 3D.

really happy to see the LBP series continued. it's a fun series and really a nice alternative to all the generic shooter games out there.

wouwie

There is an interview somewhere in which the lead designer mentions that they tweaked the controls of Sackboy due to the feedback they got. It will not be Mario style responsive though (quoting the interview) but it might interest those who had problems with the floaty controls.

edit: it's at 1.42 in this interview.

EGOMON

We need merchandise for the new 3 figures asap my little sister is in love with Swoop i want to buy her one and the game in the holidays.

tomfusion

Neo Member
Really looking forward to this, but as much as I would love to see the story levels from the first version included in this game, I would be very surprised if they are...unless I have missed some confirmation.

One of the aspects that made the original story levels what they were was the music, and from a licensing stand-point, not sure if they would go to the expense of doing that. I would love to be wrong though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Really looking forward to this, but as much as I would love to see the story levels from the first version included in this game, I would be very surprised if they are...unless I have missed some confirmation.

One of the aspects that made the original story levels what they were was the music, and from a licensing stand-point, not sure if they would go to the expense of doing that. I would love to be wrong though.

They may be able to work something out by verifying the purchase of LBP 1&2 either with the disc being inserted or verifying its purchased digitally on the account. I think playing the old levels with the new PS4 engine (higher res and framerate) would be appreciated by many. It also helps that LBP 1&2 were part of IGC on PS+ over time, so people who have had PS+ for a while should have those already.

tomfusion

Neo Member
They may be able to work something out by verifying the purchase of LBP 1&2 either with the disc being inserted or verifying its purchased digitally on the account. I think playing the old levels with the new PS4 engine (higher res and framerate) would be appreciated by many. It also helps that LBP 1&2 were part of IGC on PS+ over time, so people who have had PS+ for a while should have those already.

Certainly seems like a plausible solution, if it even is a problem for them. Completely agree with being able to play them again at a higher res/frame rate.

There is an interview somewhere in which the lead designer mentions that they tweaked the controls of Sackboy due to the feedback they got. It will not be Mario style responsive though (quoting the interview) but it might interest those who had problems with the floaty controls.

Yup. Visually it's harder to tell, but once you get your hands on it, you'll know. :) JC covers a fair share of info in that interview as well in regards to some new bits to the series.

But yeah, full disclosure, I am one of the designers at Sumo Digital working on LBP3 and have worked on LBP Vita and LBP2 Cross Controller, too. Jaeyden's already popped his head in here as well and he's on the project as well (I'm sure hodgy100 as well). We'll definitely be showing off loads more in the near future which will answer a lot of your questions, so stay tuned. ^^

Creaking

Yup. Visually it harder to tell, but once you get your hands on it, you'll know. :) JC covers a fair share of info in that interview as well in regards to some new bits to the series.

But yeah, full disclosure, I am one of the designers at Sumo Digital working on LBP3 and have worked on LBP Vita and LBP2 Cross Controller, too. Jaeyden's already popped his head in here as well and he's on the project as well (I'm sure hodgy100 as well). We'll definitely be showing off loads more in the near future which will answer a lot of your questions, so stay tuned. ^^

Awesome. I wasn't sure how to feel at first, but now I'm really excited to get some LBP action on the PS4. Glad it's coming this year.

Awesome. I wasn't sure how to feel at first, but now I'm really excited to get some LBP action on the PS4. Glad it's coming this year.

Yay! :)

And again, a bunch of us did start from the community too, so we hear and understand the gripes and wants of players out there as well. Needless to say, it was very heartwarming hearing the applause it got during the E3 stage demo. ^^

Yup. Visually it's harder to tell, but once you get your hands on it, you'll know. :) JC covers a fair share of info in that interview as well in regards to some new bits to the series.

Hell yes!!!, can't wait... it's the game i'm looking forward the most this fall.

Vashetti

Banned

And again, a bunch of us did start from the community too, so we hear and understand the gripes and wants of players out there as well. Needless to say, it was very heartwarming hearing the applause it got during the E3 stage demo. ^^

Yeah it was a crazy surprise. I had no idea LBP3 was in development.

Any chance you can give a little detail on the differences we can expect between the PS3 and PS4 versions?

It got quite the reaction at the theater as well, it got pretty loud...

Is it to late to ask for you guys to somehow allow the community level creators to add prize bubbles that contain costumes (created by them)?, that would make the community levels more enjoyable IMHO, nothing beats the thrill of hearing a costume bubble pop!

Donkey, any word on Move support for the LBP3 ps4?
Also have you or anyone at Sumo gotten their hands on Morpheus kits yet?

Thanks for answering any questions you can.

Seeing that logo pop up on the big screen out of nowhere was one of my personal highlights of this E3. It was such an unceremonious reveal, but in the best way possible. I'm not surprised the crowd reacted similarly.

shink

I remember you from the LBP Vita threads! Whack-a-sackboy is awesome.
Seems like LBP3 is in good hands.

So just to clarify, this is not being made by media modecule? they aren't liars?!

NVM overcame laziness and clarified on my own

Thanks for the info :) It must be difficult to make changes based on feedback, without alienating existing fans. I don't envy you guys!

That's nice to hear, but I always felt OK with the controls, even if I didn't love them.

My problem with LBP3 is the new characters. I don't find a single one of them as charming as Sackboy, and I'm just not that into the idea of switching characters to do things. It's always been an annoying gameplay mechanic IMO, and slows things down.

The new characters just come off to me as one of those things where I think "did anyone ask for this"? I think they could have accomplished the same goals by just augmenting Sackboy's abilities with devices or powerups.

Sotha_Sil

I always thought the first campaign was way better than the second. The voice acting and extra cutscenes killed it for me.

Any chance you can give a little detail on the differences we can expect between the PS3 and PS4 versions?

Is it to late to ask for you guys to somehow allow the community level creators to add prize bubbles that contain costumes (created by them)?, that would make the community levels more enjoyable IMHO, nothing beats the thrill of hearing a costume bubble pop!

Donkey, any word on Move support for the LBP3 ps4?
Also have you or anyone at Sumo gotten their hands on Morpheus kits yet?

Thanks for answering any questions you can.

More info about that stuff and then some in the near future. Pls understand. o.o

Seeing that logo pop up on the big screen out of nowhere was one of my personal highlights of this E3. It was such an unceremonious reveal, but in the best way possible. I'm not surprised the crowd reacted similarly.

I liked the second or so of silence before it clicked with the audience. :)
Then suddenly... Whoah!

SaitoH

Dang, I didn't know you ended up at Sumo working on LBP; that's pretty awesome. Always loved playing your levels back on LBP1.

That's nice to hear, but I always felt OK with the controls, even if I didn't love them.

My problem with LBP3 is the new characters. I don't find a single one of them as charming as Sackboy, and I'm just not that into the idea of switching characters to do things. It's always been an annoying gameplay mechanic IMO, and slows things down.

The new characters just come off to me as one of those things where I think "did anyone ask for this"? I think they could have accomplished the same goals by just augmenting Sackboy's abilities with devices or powerups.

While I really appreciate the adjustments to Sackboy's controls, the additional characters are far and away my favorite new aspect of LBP3.

I watched E3 with about a dozen friends, and Oddsock, Swoop, and Toggle practically stole the show for everyone there. Each new reveal got a progressively bigger reaction from everyone, and I don't think any of us were previously big LBP fans.

So, while I can't say that any of us specifically asked for those new characters, the three of them definitely sold us on the game. I can't wait to play it.

really happy to see the LBP series continued. it's a fun series and really a nice alternative to all the generic shooter games out there.

First time I've seen the footage of this. Looks amazing! I was a little suspicious at it being cross-gen, but this looks so lovely and reminds me that few games make me smile in the way LBP does. I love the new characters too, and I think that'll give it a whole new dynamic in how co-op works.

Top Bottom