• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Big Planet 3 Shown PS4 (November 2014)

Tourmeta

Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked is still on sale until the end of June for $60 for a two year membership. It makes every new game shown at E3 $47.99 with usually $10 back in RZ points. How's that for savings? I got $20 for Wolfenstien and $10 for Watchdogs so this release is only going to cost me $18.

Now I repost my question: can someone please tell me when they are demoing this on IGN? I believe someone said 3:20PST earlier today/yesterday. Thanks.

I don't know my american timezones but LBP3 is showing as UP NEXT here. I think that means it's in 10 minutes?
http://www.ign.com/events/e3

DedValve

Banned
For a game with so much customization the ability to affect physics for heavier jumps and weightier characters would go a loooooooong way.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
When the LitleBigPlanet 3 name appeared on screen at the conference I screamed YES. It was the biggest hype moment of all the conferences for me. Then they showed gameplay. Bleh. I'm really shocked this wasn't a fully 3D LBP game. It's the next logical step for the series and what I was expecting, but all they seem to be doing is the same thing as previous games with a few new features like the different character abilities. The series could have benefited from a true next gen leap with a bit of a reinvention of the series in proper 3D form. This is just...meh. I don't even see the point of this. I'm sure it will be a good game but it's nothing to be excited about at all.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
lbp fans your gonna love this. Ive been a huge fan since day 1 and i personally think each game is so much fun. this one was no exception.

KAL2006

Banned
Very smart of Sony to pad out the 2014 line up. Sony only had Drive Club left as a PS4 exclusive. I bet Sony decided to rework LittleBigPlanet Hub for PS3 as LBP3 for PS3/PS4.

They just said all previous levels would be playable on PS4 :eek:
edit: oh its a cross gen title. that diminishes the impact of this news a bit

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Very smart of Sony to pad out the 2014 line up. Sony only had Drive Club left as a PS4 exclusive. I bet Sony decided to rework LittleBigPlanet Hub for PS3 as LBP3 for PS3/PS4.

i think they were actually working on both and decided to mash em up and move it to ps4.

Deadstar

lbp fans your gonna love this. Ive been a huge fan since day 1 and i personally think each game is so much fun. this one was no exception.

Really good to hear! One thing I wish is that you could play the campaign from 1 and 2 somehow from LBP3.

Played this earlier with a buddy and it was just more classic LBP.

Hmm. It's hard to muster any excitement for this, personally. The first game was alright. Cute graphics, great music, but just not that fun to play. I got LBP2 free from the PSN hacking fiasco (or was it PS+, I can't remember), downloaded it, and I still haven't even played it. Count me among those who would have preferred a 3D interpretation.

Looks like I was right about the power-up creator. :)

They also mentioned a "Sack Pocket" that stores all the power-ups so you can switch between them and always have them with you after collecting them in the level.

Shin-Ra

Toggle can walk on the surface of water when small. :) Sinks when big.

On the IGN stream the producer said they have plenty more to show in the coming months. Not sure why anyone would assume they've shown everything new the game has to offer anyway.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
For a game with so much customization the ability to affect physics for heavier jumps and weightier characters would go a loooooooong way.

You can, but only in create mode, so only for levels you make yourself. You can simply change gravity settings, or use a sackbot to fine tune jumping, falling, running, etc. to your pleasure.

Tourmeta

What I got from IGN was that you can create custom toggles between characters e.g. between sackboy and swoop.

Also there's a "sackpouch" that can hold multiple powerups at a time.

Also the user created levels should be able to be bigger than the PS3 levels.

What's a bit worrying to me is if there will be LBP3-specific PS3 and PS4 levels. Because if you're a PS4 creator but more people buy/play the PS3 version, you might think about making them work on PS3 instead of just PS4 so that more people play them...

Oni Jazar

Cross gen and the ability to play all the older custom levels deflate my hype. It tells me this will be a very safe iterative sequel.

slash3584

What's a bit worrying to me is if there will be LBP3-specific PS3 and PS4 levels. Because if you're a PS4 creator but more people buy/play the PS3 version, you might think about making them work on PS3 instead of just PS4 so that more people play them...

They're trying to let us experience the drama of cross gen development ourselves.

But seriously, this was a PS3 game and because of the barren holiday releases for PS4 this was made cross-gen, so I don't expect any difference between versions, just a small graphic bump.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No way!
I can't believe that Sony Bend is doing this.

it's not it's sumo digital.

BTW feels like they've tightened up the platforming. My friend and i played co-op as toggle, and damn you can really get going with him. Switching between big and small makes for awesome platforming. The water bits are really great. When you switch to big, you'll sink down, and switching back causes you to launch up out of the water. When you're small you can also run on water. So when we got going fast on the level we'd glide across the top of the water and when a jump came up, seamlessly switch to big then back quickly and make the jump flawlessly without losing momentum.

spwolf

BTW feels like they've tightened up the platforming. My friend and i played co-op as toggle, and damn you can really get going with him. Switching between big and small makes for awesome platforming. The water bits are really great. When you switch to big, you'll sink down, and switching back causes you to launch up out of the water. When you're small you can also run on water. So when we got going fast on the level we'd glide across the top of the water and when a jump came up, seamlessly switch to big then back quickly and make the jump flawlessly without losing momentum.

this is exactly what i expected and why I cant wait for the game to come out.... new characters will make this a lot more fun!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
this is exactly what i expected and why I cant wait for the game to come out.... new characters will make this a lot more fun!

Toggle reminds me of donkey and diddy dynamic. Big is there to do the heavy lifting, and the little guy is there to really get going and finesse his way around. Some damn good platforming can be built around this one character alone.

Varth

How in hell it's still not known who's doing this? Didn't someone ask as much as "who the hell am I talking to?" during interviews?

Elixist

this sounds cool, your excitement is making me excited.

wouwie

As a big fan of the LBP games, this reveal didn't do much for me unfortunately. After 3 games, i was ready for a big reboot of the franchise on new consoles, but this seems like a another very safe sequel instead. It feels and looks like a game they made for PS3 and decided to port to PS4 later on (hence why it will be released for PS3 too).

It seems like a missed opportunity but if it has a decent single player campaign, i might still get it.

nataku

I really hope the PS3 version doesn't hold back the PS4 version in terms of what we can do when creating levels.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
uh, playing old levels at updated graphics should be the blast.

I recall the new graphics engine tweaks of LBP2 messing up all of the lighting in my old levels, as well as unsticking some objects. It was depressing in a fun way.

Anyone know of any high quality downloads of the E3 trailer? I want to play around with some screen captures as their were some absolutely beautiful shots throughout the clip.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I really hope the PS3 version doesn't hold back the PS4 version in terms of what we can do when creating levels.

If they break forward compatibility then we should see great improvements. If they don't, then we probably will see some strong limitations due to the memory difference.

Top Bottom