• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else concerned about Far Cry 4's villain? (LGBT issue + mild spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mild, tagged spoilers for one of last years "big" games
(The Last of Us)
follows.

From the impressions, it seems like Far Cry 4's villain might be gay. Horribly stereotypical judgement, but he dresses, looks and sounds like a gay stereotype. And that worries me.

As a member of the LGBT community myself, I long for better diversity and representation in today's games. Outside of games that let you choose your sexuality, there are very few - if any - examples of well written, likeable LGBT characters.
Barring The Last of Us - and I applaud Druckmann for that
. Yet, at the moment, LGBT characters are met with a lot of hostility. When it was revealed during the
Left Behind DLC
that
Ellie
was not straight, there was a lot of internet backlash, with many saying that they felt that they had been tricked, or that it somehow worsened
Ellie
as a character. Obviously there was also a lot of positivity, which was great, but it was soured by the fact that there was so much negativity too.

When a character in Dragon Age II, who was male, would come onto your male character, many players complained that homosexuality was being "shoved down their throats" and that the unwanted attention made them "uncomfortable". All they had to do to stop his advances was say that they weren't interested, and that was it. Female characters would also come onto your character - to no issue. Yet the unwanted male attention led into enough of an issue on the internet that Bioware and EA had to address it, and thankfully they stuck to their ideals on representation and diversity. Every single article any gaming news site runs on LGBT representation in video games will be met with either homophobic remarks or "aggressive apathy" (i.e. I don't care about a character's sexuality, stop trying to talk to me about it - unless they're straight, because that fits the story).

Obviously, as a member of the LGBT community myself, it makes me incredibly sad and uncomfortable to read the horrible reactions people have to such things. Which is why I'm worried about Far Cry 4. If the antagonist of Far Cry 4 is gay, I'm concerned that the "average gamer" - the target audience for FC4 - will just view the antagonist's sexuality as another reason to hate him. I don't think this is a great position to place a gay character, when even LGBT characters portrayed as "likeable" (i.e. protagonists or companions) are already met with a shit-ton of hostility. Hell, even in Watch Dogs, where the NPCs are just mindless polygons that wander about, there were videos and reports of people seeking out and killing minorities just for the hell of it. So I think that putting a gay character in a role where they are supposed to be hated anyway is a bad idea.

Now this seems to run counter to my desire for better representation and diversity in AAA games. However, I just don't think that the wide gaming community will accept an LGBT villain if they won't accept LGBT protagonists or companions. I don't think it'll be like Skyfall, where an LGBT villain was accepted and regarded generally as a "good" villain, because the film industry has been around a lot longer than the gaming industry and as such has a much wider, much more diverse audience. Films are already well established as an artistic medium. The gaming industry meanwhile features a large percentage of younger boys/men and is not viewed by the general public as an artistic medium. Therefore it's harder for stuff like an LGBT villain to fly.

To give an example, if you were watching a film from the 50s, and all of the "good guys" were white men and women, but the villain was a stereotypical black man, would you consider that racism? If you would, then by the same logic, if you're playing a game in 2014 and all of the "good guys" are straight men and women but the villain is a stereotypical gay man, then it should be considered homophobia. And judging by Far Cry 3, which had some of the most stereotypical characters and elements in recent years, I doubt Far Cry 4's characters would be written with the subtlety and care seen in the likes of the Last of Us.

I would love to be proven wrong, but from here it looks like the villain is going to be a stereotype of a gay man. Into fashion and pink, dyes his hair blonde, is flamboyant etc. And that worries me, because instead of fleshing him out as a realistic character, I feel like it will become another reason for the "average gamer" to hate him. If he is gay, I can already bet that there will be a sequence where he uses his sexuality to make the player uncomfortable - which would never happen if the villain was straight. I feel like we need better diversity and representation in games but I think we need to start by having LGBT characters in likeable, or playable roles. That way the audience will get accustomed to them and start viewing that as less of a label and more of just a small facet of their personality, so that when a villain is gay they can be treated with the care and reception that a straight one would get.

DryvBy

No.

But even if he fits a stereotype, are you saying that people sometimes don't fit their stereotype?

Yes. But too many people on GAF will claim that any attention paid to gross bias issues is POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD and that real equality means it's okay to shoot a gay dude in the head at the end of the game.

Tagg9

You can't have it both ways. If you want better LGBT representation in games, then that means having gay heroes and villians.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
When I play videogames, the last things I worry about is their gender and sexuality. While important issues today, I don't think videogames are a good vehicle to help with acceptability and tolerance.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
he honestly didn't come off as a gay to me, so if he is, that's actually fairly progressive.

edit: wasn't the far cry 3 writer gay? is it the same guy?

Deadbeat

Banned
Yes. But too many people on GAF will claim that any attention paid to gross bias issues is POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD and that real equality means it's okay to shoot a gay dude in the head at the end of the game.
Please tell us what wouldnt offend you. I would like to know what Ubi can do that wont piss some group off.

amar212

Why do you imply he is LGBT person?

Because he wears pink, have undercut and he's "flamboyant"?

Hm. Be sure not to walk around Europe during summertime. And honestly, I am not sure who is "stereotyping" around here.

Drake

So you want gay characters in games, but you only want them to be the heroes? Sorry that's not how it works. Anyone of any persuasion can be a villain. We're all human.

Dinjooh

OP should watch Skyfall!

BronsonLee should read the op.

To address your concern; I can see where you're going with this, but I would honestly find it sad if we in 2014 cannot have any character be of any sexuality without questioning it. I think the character looks great, and I have a hard time seeing how people will turn this into something bad. (More than people do with anything else)

PranooY

What's with people thinking that he is gay, just becoz he is wearing a purple pants?
Have you ever thought that you are the one promoting this stereotype by making a thread about it.
He looks a posh rich warlord? Wearing purple pants don't make anyone gay and being gay isn't bad.

Moofers

OP, I see where you're coming from and I get it, but I think this is another example of how we all gotta learn to be okay with being offended. We live in the age of "everything is offensive and it all needs to be stopped!" and I wish people would just learn to live with being offended like I have in my 33 years on this planet. Shit offends me all the time and while you try to call out important things in the interest of change for the better, sometimes there are just things you need to let go.

Also, how can you not mention Bill when you talk about TLOU? Bill was awesome :)

BronsonLee should read the op.

To address your concern; I can see where you're going with this, but I would honestly find it sad if we in 2014 cannot have any character be of any sexuality without questioning it. I think the character looks great, and I have a hard time seeing how people will turn this into something bad. (More than people do with anything else)

I should read it again when I already did? Why would I do that? :p Or are we just trying to do gotcha moments here?

The best comparison to OP's current concern (stereotypical villain problems in regards to ambiguous sexuality and using it to make the protagonist uncomfortable) is Skyfall, point of fact.
But by all means continue

JMUNoosty

Neo Member
We have shot tons of straight "dudes" in the head in video games already so what's the difference? The only equality is when we don't even think about the differences in a person/game character bc it doesn't even matter.

Sp33Demon

Love this OP. Think it is paranoid but love the passion and deep thought of it. It does not matter what your sex, race, orientation or whatever is, anyone can be a sadistic dick. Being flamboyant and over the top just makes them more interesting.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
When it was revealed during the
Left Behind DLC
that
Ellie
was not straight, there was a lot of internet backlash, with many saying that they felt that they had been tricked, or that it somehow worsened
Ellie
as a character.

Who said this? Some morons on Twitter? I saw zero negativity regarding that plot point.

There will always be dumb people trolling, always. I think you just let a small group of loud immature people rile you up way too much.

And you're over-thinking the FC4 villain. Eccentric mannerisms and clothes =/= gay.

Dinjooh

I should read it again when I already did? Why would I do that? :p Or are we just trying to do gotcha moments here?

The best comparison to OP's current concern (stereotypical villain problems in regards to ambiguous sexuality and using it to make the protagonist uncomfortable) is Skyfall, point of fact.
But by all means continue

But he very clearly did watch it and adressed that concern in the op.

Impossible to have an informed conversation on this subject when everything is just conjecture and stereotyping. "He looks gay so that means he is gay and that upsets me because gays should only be depicted in a positive light"...which is an absurd argument when you get down to it. Let's just play the damn game and have our conversation then, shall we?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think we should wait to find out what the character's sexuality is, if it's even mentioned at all, before having a discussion condemning the game to being problematic.

Thing is we already had this exact discussion before. It didn't end well.

We could at least discuss this properly if we actually knew if the villain is gay or not. But we don't, it has just been jumping to conclusions so far, just like people thinking he was white and a representation of white privilege.

Seriously...

But he very clearly did watch it and adressed that concern in the op.

Holy shit that's what I was getting at. It'll be handled like it was in Skyfall, which by OPs own admission, was handled well. It won't be handled AS well considering it's a video game, but alas.

I want to go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom