• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR: My Morpheus and Oculus Impressions. Fairly Detailed

Got to try Morpheus once, and Oculus 3 times, here are some fairly detailed impressions.

I’m sure you guys have already read about these demos, so I wanted to talk about the things that really stood out to me.

Ok, so Morpheus…

I tried out the Castle demo. Of all the VR stuff I tried out, this was by far the best. Although that’s really due to the nature of the demo, it wasn’t necessarily better than anything else on a technical level, but it gave me by far the most immersive experience.

Just a quick note, you have a move controller in each hand, and the triggers make your hands in the demo clench up and make a fist.

Initially, when the put the headset on, you notice there’s some tunnel vision going on, but after about 20 seconds, your eyes kinda just lock in, and it just CLICKS so hard. Suddenly, it feels natural. Factor in some quality headphones, and there really is a strong sense of… How do I put this… I guess presence. You really do feel as if you’re inhabiting this courtyard environment you’re in, even if the graphics are pretty meh.

Honestly, the moment it all clicks, it really feels whimsical and incredible. It’s just quite a memorable first time experience to say the least. I say this as a 30 year old.

Ok, so, I start looking around, and low and behold, this shit totally checks out. I look to my right, I look above me, I look in front of me again, and kinda just take it all in. It’s so nuts. Then I very quickly do a 180 to see if there’s anything behind me, and boom, there is. Mind blown. The level of immersion if just bonkers.

I then turn back around, and look to my left, and there’s a sword rack just chilling there. I reach over, and just to see if it works, I slowly twist my wrist so that my thumb is essentially pointing down, and I grab the sword, and slowly twist my wrist back to point the sword right side up.

At this point I’m thinking this is pretty insane. I’m slowly moving the sword around, not really swinging it, but kinda just swinging it around elegantly like a wand, or a maestro.

I then decide to see if it’s possible to hand the sword over to my left hand. I try it, and it works. Suddenly, I feel something that I genuinely haven’t felt since I was 12 and played Mario 64 for the first time. Everything about this moment felt absolutely revolutionary.

I then start to beat on this dummy in front of me, and all the motions I’m trying for the most part are working pretty well. Jabbing motions, hooks, you name it, it works. Within a few seconds, I lost interest in beating on this thing, and wanna just get back to the experience of controlling myself within this environment.

So I take a step forward, and viola, I’m taking a step forward. Side step, step back, walk in tiny circles while moving my head around, it all works, and feels pretty damn natural. At this point I could care less about fighting, and am too entranced but the ability to just exist in this virtual environment. I look around, I duck, I turn around and just start walking away, at which point I crashed into a real life wall, but it didn’t matter, all of it was just so damn immersive. I crashed into the wall a couple more times just because the sensation of walking felt SO INCREDIBLE. I can’t imagine how insane it’s gonna feel to actually run. Holy shit. Such an exciting thought.

Any ways, suddenly, I’m holding a mace, and I’m just swinging it around, everything again, just feeling pretty natural when all is said and done. Then I’m magically holding a crossbow and just shooting around without any trouble. Having perfect aim like in RE4 Wii.

Then the massive dragon drops, which would’ve been awesome if it looked cool and the graphics didn’t suck, but the scale was still great, and just gave a good idea of what it would feel like to stand next to some giant creature.

Demo then ends. A really special experience to say the least.

I then rush over to Oculus cause at that point, nothing stops this train.

The Oculus demos, while still very much awesome, are nowhere near as immersive due to fact that you’re sitting, and using an xbox controller.

Valkyrie
So I get to check out the Valkyrie demo, and it’s pretty holy shit. You’re just flying around in a space ship, and I guess you’re supposed to hunt someone down and shoot at them, but I was just having more fun flying around in space.

So I basically just put myself on a trajectory that would have me going in circles around earth, while upside down. So because the cockpit was all glass, while I was flying in circles, I could look straight up, and see the earth in all its glory directly above me, and when I’d look straight, I would just see a bunch of asteroids and just ultimate outer space. The 3D and sense of scale was really fantastic. I then realized that like skydiving, I was really only looking up the whole time, so then I realize I should look down, holy shit, my body is in all out spacesuit and there’s full force instruments all around me, it was sooo cool. I then look to my left, my right, and again, the magical what’s behind me, and again, it all checks out. VERY VERY immersive. I screamed out “Shit!” so many times the Oculus people had to tell me to stop.

Super Hot
Afterwords, I got to check out Super Hot. This one was neat for all kinds of reasons that showed so much potential. This demo is essentially all about bullet time. You’re walking down a hallway while 3 men shoot at you. When you stop walking, the bullet time essentially starts. While in bullet time, it’s so rad, cause you’re able to see in every direction, and see the trajectory of the bullets that are coming at your, or have already passed by you. Basically, it does a fantastic job at giving you that sense of being in the Matrix, or the Quicksilver scene in DOFP. Lots of fun to experience.

Also, while I was in this demo, there was a statue on display, that made the idea of Virtual Museums such a blatant no brainer.

Alien
Man, ok, basically, this one was a little too rad. Imagine you’re basically inside a very well lit Ridley Scott movie, but with crappier art design. Still really moody and just has awesome atmosphere. I can’t imagine how exhilarating a game like Doom could be in VR. Wandering around trying to avoid the Alien, all while being in this super creepy ass space ship. was just soooo much fun.

In conclusion, I really feel that VR is the most impressive tech we’ve gotten since the internet. Feels like it’s gonna have even more impact on the world than smartphones. Just my hunch. But the sheer amount of potential is just mind shattering staggering.

On another note, and I hope I don’t come off as a fanboy when saying this, but it kinda saddens me that it isn’t Mario ushering in all this amazing VR goodness. We desperately need some Rez, OutRun 2, and some MGS VR Missions.

In any case, I’m very excited for the future. Thanks for reading.

mcz117chief

Wait, so by moving in the real world you move in the game ? How will that actually work ? Some treadmills or what ?

Thanks for your impressions! Hopefully they do some kind of a Morpheus Tour when it's closer to release, because I'd love to try it out!

Thrakier

Thanks for the impressions. Can't wait trying it by myself. At this point, everyone denying that this is the future is naive. It'll be amazing. The new consoles just feel like a filler till the tech is there in three or four years.

Hale-XF11

Great impressions!

I'm more convinced than ever before that Oculus needs motion controllers similar to Move. I don't want to just be stuck in a chair with a regular controller the whole time.

Wait, so by moving in the real world you move in the game ? How will that actually work ? Some treadmills or what ?

That just positional tracking with the PS4 camera. You wouldn't be able to move very far though. You'll still need analog sticks to "really" move around a game world.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7n5kRRHDpw

kn8bRWj.gif

mcz117chief

That just positional tracking with the PS4 camera. You wouldn't be able to move very far though. You'll still need analog sticks to "really" move around a game world.

Right, but this mate that responded to me mentioned omindirectional treadmill, which sounds too damn good.

I feel like when VR comes to commercial use, there should be only one SKU across the board. Just as a starting point into this new medium.

I feel like when VR comes to commercial use, there should be only one SKU across the board. Just as a starting point into this new medium.
Not happening. Everyone is gonna jump in. This is balatantly the future.

Word on the street is Samsung will have one out next year that'll run off of your phone.

Steve Jobs is doing all kinds of breakdancing in his grave right now.

YuShtink

It.is a tech demo. I assume no game will work like that.

It can to an extent. Both the Morpheus and Oculus allow you to be tracked anywhere in space within their cameras' cones of vision. But once the camera can't see you anymore it can't track you, so it won't be feasible to really move through an environment like that. A small, enclosed virtual game space - totally possible.

Depends on the setup. Like someone else said they have omni-directional treadmills or you can still use controllers to move.

Morpheus reactions have me so hyped for VR.

Going to be amazing.

matmanx1

The sooner these things start dropping for public consumption the better. I feel like this might be the next great leap in immersion and I can't wait to try it.

Great impressions. I truly can't wait until I get to try these. It's just going to change everything - sure the games may not look like graphical showcases, but the power of what we'll be able to create, worlds we'll be able to inhabit.... We're going to see some amazing things :)

Thanks for the impressions OP.

I'd rather have competition and let consumers benefit from two companies trying to outdo one another with better and better technology.

how was the image quality on morpheus?

you mentioned that the graphics weren't great, but was it pixelated due to low res or ? my understanding is that was the issue with the first run of the OR (the kickstarted one)

i'm working on a rez-inspired VR game!
Honestly, I can not wait. So excited at the thought.

How was the resolution of both ? Is 1080p good enough or is there a visible screendoor effect ?
Ok so, when I first put on the Morpheus, it was noticeably pixelated. I don't know if that was because that's how Morpheus is, or if it's because it was my first time trying VR, but it was definitely something I noticed, and even had to ask if it was sub 720p. At which point the Sony rep told me that they were 1080p. Within 30 seconds though, once it all clicks, you don't even notice it at all.

Can't wait for them to get 4K displays in there. God the future is so exciting to think about.

I should also add that I've been to E3 fourteen times, and this was by far the most impressive one I've ever been to. It also gave me all kinds of perspective in terms of how far we've come, and how much this truly is a game changer, and I'm not just talking about video games here. The implications here are gonna be out of this world.

Initially it worried me a bit, cause I figured, as a society, we're all fucked one this goes mainstream. We'll lose people to this like we do to drugs.

But then I also started thinking about the flip side, and it was actually so exciting that it gave me hope again.

But I can't imagine what this is gonna do for paralyzed people. I don't doubt that in future, when you're old, retiring is just gonna consist of chilling in VR.

LaneDS

Really enjoyed reading your impressions, so thanks for posting them!

First taste of VR comes next month for me, when the DK2 arrives. Very excited and share your belief that it's the "next big thing".

RiZ III

Having briefly tried Oculus about a year ago, VR excites the hell out of me. I can't wait for this stuff to be available at retail.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
awesome!

i really think oculus should launch with a motion control solution as well. preferably a double wiimote with analogs kind of deal.

Popnbake

Not happening. Everyone is gonna jump in. This is balatantly the future.

Word on the street is Samsung will have one out next year that'll run off of your phone.

Steve Jobs is doing all kinds of breakdancing in his grave right now.

After reading about the hologram chips they are making for smartphones, 2015 is looking to be an exiting year for vr.

Elitro

Great writeup, i really can't get bored of reading these!

I'm surprised the castle demo was your favorite one, but the reasons you describe make total sense.

You say you hit the wall a bunch of times, was your movement being tracked in the ps4? Or it's just that immersive that you couldn't stop wandering?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._Project_Morpheus_with_a_Sony_RD_engineer.php

Are you in the R&D group working directly with developers who are creating content for the headsets?

AM: Yeah. Because it's still an R&D project to some extent, we are basically talking to the developers face-to-face very often -- talking about the new prototypes, their learnings, their feedback about the prototypes and things like that.

Is the feedback from those developers going into the iterations of the headset as you're working on them?

AM: Yeah. The headset you're seeing now is version four or five, depending on how you count. Before that, we had prototypes. For every version we built... This is the version we announced at GDC, for the broad developer announce, but we had internal versions for first party that we iterated on and things like that. All of the feedback, we coalesce and then we try to roll it in as soon as possible into the next version.

Oculus obviously has been very vocal about what they think needs to happen with VR. Valve has been working on VR technology and talked a lot about it. Do you have anything to say to the VR developer community that you haven't heard said by these other companies?

AM: One thing that has surprised me about the Oculus side of things is that they're very locked into the seated experience. That's a surprisingly safe way to go. We're still very much experimenting with very different types of content. And people have done stuff like that -- like the flying bird demo that people have done with the Oculus, I forget which group did it -- but here we have the Luge, which is a lay-down experience, we have Castle, which is a stand-up, hands-tracking experience.

So I think it's worth mentioning that it's worth experimenting with every kind of experience, no matter how impractical it seems, because even if you don't end up shipping that, you still end up learning nuggets from it. So it's good to experiment. So that's maybe one difference I've seen, fundamentally, from us. We're still very much trying new things and although, yeah, seated is very much a safe bet, and I think everybody agrees that can be done, and that it's feasible to do as a product. That doesn't mean you can't experiment with other, different

syko de4d

You didnt try out Luckys Tale? Want to know how good 3rd Person Games work in VR :D

And this is just the beginning of VR. Oculus and Morpheus are like the first good Mobile Phones from the 90s. We will see crazy advancements over the next 5-30years. It will be a long path till we reach the Matrix :p

awesome!

i really think oculus should launch with a motion control solution as well. preferably a double wiimote with analogs kind of deal.

Someone will have something ready. There was a company showing off gloves behind closed doors, and as adequate as the Move controllers can be, I have zero doubt that Sony has something better in R&D. They have to, cause Move isn't gonna cut it when all is said and done.

So jealous. How did the quality of each headset feel?
I felt that Morpheus felt more snug on my face, and also had more coverage. At times with Oculus, I could look down and see my actual real life body, even if only a sliver, it kinda interrupts the illusion.

You say you hit the wall a bunch of times, was your movement being tracked in the ps4? Or it's just that immersive that you couldn't stop wandering?
PS4 was tracking my movement. But yes, it was so immersive, that all I wanted to do was walk around rather than fight the dummy. In fact I found myself walking around in tiny circles for most of the demo.

The Morpheus uses the PS4 camera to track the headset, so it can track your actual body like that, no treadmills required. Obviously it's limited.

I think Oculus added support for tracking from a camera as well

Top Bottom