• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom share holders do not approve stock take over defense

Via Gamasutra/Capcom's Investor Relations site

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...s_open_company_up_to_takeover_possibility.php

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e140616a.html

The 35th Ordinary General Meeting of Shareholders of Capcom Co., Ltd. was held today, June 16, 2014. At this meeting, the shareholders did not approve our third proposal: Renewal of Countermeasures in response to a Large-Scale Purchase of Shares of the Company (Takeover Defense). Capcom made an announcement concerning this proposal in a press release dated May 16, 2014.

1. Result of voting
The takeover defense proposal was not approved because this proposal did not receive majority of voting rights as required.
2. Upcoming actions
Despite of non-approval of Renewal of Takeover Defense at the 35th Ordinary General Meeting of Shareholders, Capcom will continue to focus on further preserving and enhancing corporate value and common interests of its shareholders. If there is any large-scale purchaser of Capcom stock, we will react to make necessary measures within the admissible limits of applicable laws and regulations. In addition, we will react to take steps to ensure disclosure of the position of the board of directors and other information and that there is sufficient time for shareholders to examine the proposed large-scale purchase and reach a decision.

Here's a flow chart of the plan that wasn't approved by shareholders:

lWb9EXM.png
So nothing yet, but the possibility is out there for someone out there to buy up a majority of the stock.

Kinsei

Banned
I kinda want Nintendo to buy them because I think they'll start making Mega Man games. I think Sony might be a good fit too.

Another game company is not going to buy Capcom.

IF anyone did, it would be a bigger media conglomerate that wants to get in to mobile games and sees Capcom as their entry in to that market. Or a company that's already big in the mobile scene.

i'd rather a split ip sale than this, I dont want MS having the Pheonix Wright IP but I dont mind Nintendo having that one. Conversilly I want MS to have the Dead Rising IP as it's tied to them.

How Nintendo treats third party characters vs how their own companies treat them. Give it to Nintendo:

Bp0kopxCQAAvMc_.jpg

Found this is the internet.

The End

IF anyone did, it would be a bigger media conglomerate that wants to get in to mobile games and sees Capcom as their entry in to that market. Or a company that's already big in the mobile scene.

This.

It would be someone like Disney who'd be able to exploit their IP across movies, tv, comics, games, etc.

I don't care who buys it as long as they:

1. Have enough vision to develop Capcom ip on a consistent basis. Not leaving valuable ip on the table, that can still be a good ROI. (Mega man series, MvC, Devil May Cry, just go down the list of valuable Capcom ip)
2. Have enough capital to back up the investment of re-ushering in this ip to today's audience.

This company should be killing it IMHO. That it is a fledgling company is just mind boggeling and frustrating as a fan.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Two notes:

1.) This is notable because it means investors no longer have faith in Capcom to keep growing the company, and thus are open to having the company bought (which usually happens at a share premium).

2.) Guessing a console vendor, or even a traditional game company, is a really bad idea when Capcom has already had a huge pivot to social, mobile, and online. You're more likely to see someone who is also interested in those fields consider picking up Capcom.

Tripon

Two notes:

1.) This is notable because it means investors no longer have faith in Capcom to keep growing the company, and thus are open to having the company bought (which usually happens at a share premium).

2.) Guessing a console vendor, or even a traditional game company, is a really bad idea when Capcom has already had a huge pivot to social, mobile, and online. You're more likely to see someone who is also interested in those fields consider picking up Capcom.

Gungho or Tencent then.

harSon

Banned
I don't see Microsoft buying them unless Sony or Nintendo threaten too. Capcom is one of the few Japanese developers who give Microsoft the time of day, so I could see them buying them out of necessity.

Two notes:

Seems like people are finally fed up with Mr. Tsujimoto's multiple-decade tenure as CEO, even if they don't want to explicitly bar him from re-election.

Azure J

This thread is already shaping up to be a a fun one like when Index was being auctioned off. That said, there's no way a single platform holder buys Capcom.

Duxxy3

I'd be surprised if they weren't bought out by the end of the year. Way too many valuable assets that they are just sitting on.

Nanashrew

Banned
Two notes:

I find that really disappointing and sad :C.

I don't see Microsoft buying them unless Sony or Nintendo threaten too. Capcom is one of the few Japanese developers who give Microsoft the time of day, so I could see them buying them out of necessity.

Can Microsoft even buy them? I feel like I've heard that it would need to be another Japanese company, but I could be wrong

It doesn't really benefit Nintendo to buy them. If they wanted to buy a developer to leverage old IPs, they could just...hire more people. They don't need Capcom's bloated corpse to do that and it would be a lot less expensive to simply expand, nevermind the costs and time associated with changing their management to better fit a new corporate culture. The reason they haven't expanded that rapidly is because it's too expensive to do that and more expensive to just buy another company that's pretty large in size. So, if forced with that choice, they'd probably take the more conservative route there, which is the smart way.

Capcom's IPs don't have this untapped, limitless potential for everyone. Like, yeah, Resident Evil does pretty well, but Borderlands 2 did better, so you should probably roll your dice on making one of those rather than a series that is mostly critically mocked these days. No one is going to revive Mega Man. No one cares about Captain Commando.

On the plus side, outside of the situations I outlined before, it probably means no one's going to buy them that readily because it does have very few benefits. If it does happen (I'd bet on Tencent, if anyone), enthusiasts won't like the result.

so Softbank/GungHo instead? Or mixi, considering they are now flush with cash thanks to Monster Strike blowing up in Japan?

Top Bottom