• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom share holders do not approve stock take over defense

Gungho is an option, but I imagine they're waiting to see how it works out with Grasshopper. Thus far, all they've had to show for their purchase has been two announcements of what appears to be the same game and a promise of F2P shenanigans within it.

Came in to say just this. If they did, they'd have guaranteed Monster Hunter exclusivity forever, Mega Man could live and Street Fighter & Resident Evil would be exclusive, among others.

Hardcore gamers would rage. BUT, from a strategic standpoint, it would make Nintendo a lot more competitive and fill all the voids in their lineup. If nintendo bought Capcom, the Wii U would start looking incredibly competitive.

Sandfox

Are they actually that valuable anymore?

They basically have Monster Hunter, which is built on top of a shaky and declining market (both in terms of handhelds and dedicated games in general in Japan), Resident Evil, which is damaged, Street Fighter, which isn't overly huge and is something of a question mark, and then a sea of series that don't sell enough to be worth the time of day to the companies who could afford them.

Someone who can do both merchandizing and mass IP exploitation (as in across all plausible platforms based on what region the series still have any sway in) would probably get the most value.

I'm sure SF makes decent money in the arcades and there's probably value in the studios/staff they have.

Santiako

Tencent, Nexon or GungHo would be the most likely buyers right?

If any one of them buys Capcom, it would be the saddest gaming day since the Dreamcast died.

Village

But financially, Spyro's current days are his best ever.

Financially speaking everyone in that pic except mega-man is doing more than ok, great even.

But it doesn't look like the old days so they are doing super bad because reasons misplaced nostalgia and a refusing to accept the notion of younger people playing and enjoying that new version of that thing you used to like. ( though you could make a case for sonic but that's an entirely different discussion altogether)

People talking about nintendo buying capcom, what if it isn't nintendo. What if its sony or even Microsoft, what then?

Crayolan

I wonder why so many people want Nintendo to buy Capcom? Most of their relevant IPs aren't on Nintendo hardware. The games that are on there are exclusive to Nintendo (MH/AA).

Are people saying this because of Megaman? Because Nintendo is sitting on plenty of inactive IPs that sold more than a single Megaman game could ever sell. And besides, we're getting a Megaman spiritually successor next year.

People want to see what Nintendo could do with Capcom's IPs. Odds of that happening are pretty low though.

I don't see how any of this would be good. Well megaman aside but i guess anybody would be smart enough to revive it anyway.

It wouldn't necessarily be good for consumers, but it'd be good for Nintendo.

SkyOdin

They basically have Monster Hunter, which is built on top of a shaky and declining market (both in terms of handhelds and dedicated games in general in Japan), Resident Evil, which is damaged, Street Fighter, which isn't overly huge and is something of a question mark, and then a sea of series that don't sell enough to be worth the time of day to the companies who could afford them.

Someone who can do both merchandizing and mass IP exploitation (as in across all plausible platforms based on what region the series still have any sway in) would probably get the most value.

I would say that a bunch of Capcom's IPs are pretty valuable, but not in a mass market sense. I might be making stuff up, but it seems to me that Capcom has been good at cultivating niche successes and cult classics. Many of their IPs are not good at appealing to large audiences, but are successful at building small groups of very passionate and loyal fans. Stuff like Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Darkstalkers, and so on seem to have very loyal fan-bases, albeit not large enough of fan-bases to support modern large-budget games.

I think the ultimate issue seems to be that Capcom isn't very good at making money off of small, high-dedication fan-bases. I think it is possible for these IP to be successful, but it might take a very different approach to budgeting and marketing then what Capcom has done in the past.

TSM

How Nintendo treats third party characters vs how their own companies treat them. Give it to Nintendo:

Bp0kopxCQAAvMc_.jpg

Found this is the internet.

Except that Namco released Pacman Championship Edition and Pacman Championship Edition DX and they were 2 of the best games during the PS3/360 generation. The Pacman vs game was also fun at the arcade. You do have a point with Sonic and Megaman though.

I'm sure SF makes decent money in the arcades and there's probably value in the studios/staff they have.
So one of the things Iwata said a few years back is that buying a company for their talent is a terrible idea, because those people will either be unhappy or leave. Even if you lock them in by a contract, people who don't want to leave there won't be doing the work you bought their skills for.

This is more me saying, companies that are buying Capcom for its talents will be buying damaged goods.

What does this even mean ?
They're up for sale and the buyer has total control of which games are made ?

It's a "takeover defense" proposal that was not approved.

So if someone tried to forcibly takeover Capcom by purchasing a whole bunch of shares...they could do so.

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
Monster hunter would be a pretty big get if it was permanently nintendo. I think tons of people would be disappointed to not see RE7 on Ps4, though.

Not really, take Capcom all you want, RE5 was bad, RE6 was even worse. Shinji Mikami is working on the Evil Within, which seems to be the best Resident Evil since his last one, RE4.

If Nintendo bought Capcom they might make a new Megaman Game and get back to Megaman Legends 3 für the 3DS, fingers crossed!

VariantX

Hardcore gamers would rage. BUT, from a strategic standpoint, it would make Nintendo a lot more competitive and fill all the voids in their lineup. If nintendo bought Capcom, the Wii U would start looking incredibly competitive.

I don't think it would help Wii U at this point since its probably going to be on its way out in 2016-17, but their next system would be far more attractive to people who care about those Capcom IP's.

Sesha

Does this mean Capcom will be put up for sale in the near future, or is it just shareholders making contingency plans in case Capcom tanks?

Assuming Capcom gets put up for sale, what potential companies are the least likely to gut Capcom for their IPs and fire most or all the staff?

Yes, I think their staff is the biggest asset upon purchase, followed by IP potential.

A lot of Capcom staff are super talented, especially guys like Itsuno and his team. Hopefully potential buyers realize that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would say that a bunch of Capcom's IPs are pretty valuable, but not in a mass market sense. I might be making stuff up, but it seems to me that Capcom has been good at cultivating niche successes and cult classics. Many of their IPs are not good at appealing to large audiences, but are successful at building small groups of very passionate and loyal fans. Stuff like Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Darkstalkers, and so on seem to have very loyal fan-bases, albeit not large enough of fan-bases to support modern large-budget games.

I think the ultimate issue seems to be that Capcom isn't very good at making money off of small, high-dedication fan-bases. I think it is possible for these IP to be successful, but it might take a very different approach to budgeting and marketing then what Capcom has done in the past.
Right I mean if this was a bankruptcy sale people would buy all their properties easily.

However, we're talking about a $1-$2 billion purchase here.

paolo11

This may be a stupid question so forgive me about this but is it possible for multiple companies to buy each IP from Capcom?

Like for example:

Nintendo will buy Megaman
Platinum will buy Resident Evil or Devil May Cry

Edit; NVM. If Capcom goes bankrupt, it is possible for multiple companies to buy their IPs.

Sandfox

There is no way Nintendo gets them and it would probably be better if a 3rd party company picked them up.

If Nintendo buys Capcom does that mean we only ever get Street Fighter on Nintendo consoles? uuuuuuuughhhh, no thanks.
I'm sure it would still be in arcades and such lol.
I definitely agree with this. Let Street Fighter go to Sony or someone else like Arc System Works, & let something like Rockman/Mega Man go to Nintendo.
Eww. Also, I don't see how ASW getting the IP would be better than Nintendo getting it unless your only concern is the game being on a Sony platform and you don't care about the gameplay.
I wonder why so many people want Nintendo to buy Capcom? Most of their relevant IPs aren't on Nintendo hardware. The games that are on there are exclusive to Nintendo (MH/AA).

Are people saying this because of Megaman? Because Nintendo is sitting on plenty of inactive IPs that sold more than a single Megaman game could ever sell. And besides, we're getting a Megaman spiritually successor next year.

I think people just think Nintendo would find a lot of use out of Capcom's resources and would like to see their takes on a few IPs.

What does this even mean ?
They're up for sale and the buyer has total control of which games are made ?

Capcom shareholders had an option to defend against takeovers from some company buying up the majority of stock. They had put this option in place because they believed, rightly or wrongly, Capcom's growth would pay greater dividends than if another company bought the majority of the stock. This is them signaling that they no longer believe this to be true.

This may be a stupid question so forgive me about this but is it possible for multiple companies to buy each IP from Capcom?

Like for example:

Nintendo will buy Megaman
Platinum will buy Resident Evil or Devil May Cry

That would only happen if Capcom decided to sell their IPs or they went bankrupt.

Neither of those things are happening today.

The only thing that's happening is that shareholders have not approved Capcom's strategy in an event of a hostile takeover.

So today, a company could gain control of Capcom if it desired by purchasing shares.

Dahbomb

Surprised it took this long for share holders to start stirring up a shit storm.

Anyone who saw Capcom's E3 this year should've known shit was going down. Fucking abysmal.

Xpliskin

It's a "takeover defense" proposal that was not approved.

So if someone tried to forcibly takeover Capcom by purchasing a whole bunch of shares...they could do so.
ShockingAlbert said:
Capcom shareholders had an option to defend against takeovers from some company buying up the majority of stock. They had put this option in place because they believed, rightly or wrongly, Capcom's growth would pay greater dividends than if another company bought the majority of the stock. This is them signaling that they no longer believe this to be true.
EDIT: thanks to both for answering

How long until they try to get it approved again ?

So it means that if Facebook decided to buy them, they could force them to make "Face Fighter 5: Oculus edition" ?

petghost

Banned
i kinda wish capcom would just go bankrupt and get all those lovely old fighting game IP's into caring hands.

i mean theres not guarantee they wouldn't fuck those up but i'll take what i can (hypothetically not a actually going to ever happen) get.

RalchAC

Tencent, Nexon, or GungHo.
Wait for it...

Yup, I thought about GungHo

Well, it depends on who you're talking about. GungHo, seems to have some interest on the traditional market (Ragnarok Odyssey, Puzzle and Dragons Z, Grasshopper) and they probably have enough money to get it.

Nintendo buying Capcom (I don't think they'll do it) would be big though. They'll get a bunch of IPs that are really different from the traditional Nintendo stuff (Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, Dead Rising...) that will help broaden their audience.

And Japan will be theirs as long as the traditional market survives xD

sega should buy them.

You must really hate Monster Hunter if you want SEGA to buy them.

JoeM86

Exactly my point. Plus, it'd have potential to revive Mega Man

Plus, the rage would be awesome.

True Story: I met Ono at E3 during his signing and asked him to port Ultra SSFIV to the Wii U and he laughed and said it's probably not going to happen. Then I said, "ok, then how about deep down?" Then he laughed even harder and said he's not sure the Wii U can even display Deep Down.

Buy Capcom, Nintendo. And cancel those projects.

Top Bottom