• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom share holders do not approve stock take over defense

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd be surprised if they weren't bought out by the end of the year. Way too many valuable assets that they are just sitting on.

Are they actually that valuable anymore?

They basically have Monster Hunter, which is built on top of a shaky and declining market (both in terms of handhelds and dedicated games in general in Japan), Resident Evil, which is damaged, Street Fighter, which isn't overly huge and is something of a question mark, and then a sea of series that don't sell enough to be worth the time of day to the companies who could afford them.

Someone who can do both merchandizing and mass IP exploitation (as in across all plausible platforms based on what region the series still have any sway in) would probably get the most value.

gngf123

I don't particularly care about Nintendo specifically buying Capcom, but someone must take Mega Man away from them.

How Nintendo treats third party characters vs how their own companies treat them. Give it to Nintendo:

Bp0kopxCQAAvMc_.jpg

Found this is the internet.

That is depressing.

Xav

I'd be okay with Nintendo buying Capcom. Developers always seem to do their best work when working with/for Nintendo.

Vibranium

Banned
I hope Resident Evil would end up in good hands. Someone who would pull the trigger on a reboot after the 7th game, and go for survival horror using devs who are fans of RE1-3, REmake, and Zero.

Ace Attorney also must be handled with care, no Western developers on that series please.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Uh-Oh for Capcom...is the end near for them?

Not really. They're still profitable. Their investors just don't see enough growth potential for them to say "Yes, we agree that we can take another company buying you off the table, because leaving you as an independent company will make us more money in the long run."

To be frank, those investors are probably right.

kejigoto

Banned
It would be amazing to see Nintendo swoop in and buy up majority of Capcom but in reality I just don't see it happening given Nintendo's struggles with the Wii-U and posting losses recently.

This could be the big thing that Nintendo needs to turn their fortune around though as this would net them several major franchises which have proven to move units as well as strengthen their development line up.

Just think about Super Smash Bros. having the Street Fighter team on it or what Nintendo could do with the Megaman IP or seeing a truly focused Resident Evil release exclusively on the Wii-U. Heck ZombiU showcased how the Gamepad could be used amazingly well in survival horror and I think putting Resident Evil into that mix would be something to behold.

In reality it would probably be a major company that doesn't have much of a foothold in the market to buy up a good chunk of Capcom in my opinion.

Definitely surprising to see the shareholders willing to sell though and it'll be interesting to see where this leads. I'll keep dreaming about Nintendo getting involved no matter how unlikely it is.

Honestly

If Nintendo did buy Capcom

I could totally see it being just for mobile phone development. When you look at Iwata's most recent comments about Mergers & Acquisitions:

“Nintendo has undergone continuous changes over years, moving from Hanafuda playing cards to video games, and offering newer systems like the Wii. But we’ve been preoccupied with a fixed idea of what a game should be like. The game industry is at a turning point amid new developments like the rise of smartphones.”

Not to say they will, but buying Capcom, keeping their name and IPs, and having them solely focus on smart devices (and thus keeping Nintendo separate from it) would be a smart gameplan.

They're not going to buy them and then go "Alright, time to make an HD Mega Man with a Zelda budget, make it rain, motherfuckers."

What if.. King.com Bought them, What would happen?

Honest Question, If Capcom was bought by Nintendo what does that mean for the games that release on Sony and Microsoft Consoles?

tbh, whether you love or hate what Capcom has done and become, I'd hate to see the apex of 1 on 1 fighting games locked down in anyone else's hands. It would be like if Milton Bradley bought chess somehow, and viewed it purely as a vessel for profit that's totally open to uncontestable change, with the original concept remaining in moratorium, unusable by anybody else. If Capcom can't remain lucrative enough to curate it, then it needs to transcend into public domain and go Santa Claus, with one of the existing "rulesets" becoming an accepted standard, that's only malleable and mandated by a general consensus of high level play over time.

I really don't even know why people start trying to convince themselves that a first party is going to buy major third party studios. It's not common at all. We saw the same thing when Atlus was up for purchase and people started trying to convince themselves why this manufacturer would buy them or why that one would. In the end it was Sega that actually bought.

El Sloth

Banned
Honestly

I could totally see it being just for mobile phone development. When you look at Iwata's most recent comments about Mergers & Acquisitions:

Not to say they will, but buying Capcom, keeping their name and IPs, and having them solely focus on smart devices (and thus keeping Nintendo separate from it) would be a smart gameplan.

They're not going to buy them and then go "Alright, time to make an HD Mega Man with a Zelda budget, make it rain, motherfuckers."

I think it's time for Opiate to cede his tag to you.

They basically have Monster Hunter, which is built on top of a shaky and declining market (both in terms of handhelds and dedicated games in general in Japan), Resident Evil, which is damaged, Street Fighter, which isn't overly huge and is something of a question mark, and then a sea of series that don't sell enough to be worth the time of day to the companies who could afford them.

Someone who can do both merchandizing and mass IP exploitation (as in across all plausible platforms based on what region the series still have any sway in) would probably get the most value.

My thoughts exactly and precisely why I don't want Nintendo to get them. A company with of unused IP buying a company with of unused IP is just hilarious.

I agree that Capcom has a lot of IP that don't sell enough but I think some of those older IP have room as a mid tier release. Sadly as we all know, theres no such thing anymore. Putting so much money into Lost Planet is one of those things I will never understand.

Two notes:

1.) This is notable because it means investors no longer have faith in Capcom to keep growing the company, and thus are open to having the company bought (which usually happens at a share premium).

2.) Guessing a console vendor, or even a traditional game company, is a really bad idea when Capcom has already had a huge pivot to social, mobile, and online. You're more likely to see someone who is also interested in those fields consider picking up Capcom.

GungHo seems a good candidate.

Interesting, thanks.

Don't know too much about the financial side of things but that is less than I expected, could see someone purchasing them.

In comparison, Nintendo's market cap is 1.41 trillion JPY ($13.84 billion).

Capcom has lost a lot of value over the years...thanks to its deteriorating IPs.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Like more than half of capcom's IPs are put on Nintendo's consoles, it would be a perfect fit

Anura

The ironic thing is that the games were damaged by Capcoms "wider audience" seeking arrogance and the complete disregard for the already established audience. They did this to themselves and what's even more ironic is that the two series were they nurtured and respected the fanbase are the only ones where another company would consider them "risky" (yes they do respect the MH fanbase even without consoles as the largest market has made it known time and time again that they prefer handheld)

gorfyako

Banned
2.) Guessing a console vendor, or even a traditional game company, is a really bad idea when Capcom has already had a huge pivot to social, mobile, and online. You're more likely to see someone who is also interested in those fields consider picking up Capcom.

How has Capcom been doing on these fronts?

paolo11

Two notes:

1.) This is notable because it means investors no longer have faith in Capcom to keep growing the company, and thus are open to having the company bought (which usually happens at a share premium).

Hmm, these are good points.

Let me ask. How are the chances of Capcom being bought by a different company?

Jrs3000

I can't agree with Nintendo buying them with their design philosophy being to come up with a concept or idea that's and fun then select a character to put in it. This method is why we are only now getting word of a Star Fox & Metroid games in development but what about F-zero, Mother series, and other's that have been drowned out because they can't figure out a good way to do a game. As their roster grows the choices and chances of seeing certain characters decreases.

I can see Microsoft putting the IPs to more use to as a leg up on Ps4 stronger hardware.

Toxi

Banned

Strange to think how Capcom collapsed over the course of the last generation. They were going strong with Monster Hunter coming to portable, Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5, new IPs like Lost Planet, the Megaman IP still being used, etc. Then in the latter half they just kinda imploded.
Yeah, Nintendo sure has been doing justice to Samus lately, huh.
;_;

Mesoian

Wasn't Nexon interested in EA at one point? But yeah, if any company is after Capcom, it'd be any of these three.

Super Puzzle Street Fighter II for iOS and Android.

Yup. They're already partnered with GungHo to release games in south east asia, aren't they?

Salex_

I wonder why so many people want Nintendo to buy Capcom? Most of their relevant IPs aren't on Nintendo hardware. The games that are on there are exclusive to Nintendo (MH/AA).

Are people saying this because of Megaman? Because Nintendo is sitting on plenty of inactive IPs that sold more than a single Megaman game could ever sell. And besides, we're getting a Megaman spiritually successor next year.

Honestly

I was thinking the same thing, except for the sole focus part, Some Capcom IPs would be worth retaining for their next platform.

nexen

If Nintendo buys Capcom does that mean we only ever get Street Fighter on Nintendo consoles? uuuuuuuughhhh, no thanks.

Biker19

Banned
Street Fighter on Nintendo only consoles would be awful.

Mega Man I'm totally down for though.

I definitely agree with this. Let Street Fighter go to Sony or someone else like Arc System Works, & let something like Rockman/Mega Man go to Nintendo.

What if.. King.com Bought them, What would happen?

Honest Question, If Capcom was bought by Nintendo what does that mean for the games that release on Sony and Microsoft Consoles?

If any current projects featured contracts with outside parties, they'd be stuck finishing them.

Otherwise they'd be stuck only putting out games on nintendo systems.

Paracelsus

They want to make more money and expand in ventures that would help them milking more customers, so they go first party.

Makes perfect sense, not.

Jrs3000

I wonder why so many people want Nintendo to buy Capcom? Most of their relevant IPs aren't on Nintendo hardware. The games that are on there are exclusive to Nintendo (MH/AA).

Are people saying this because of Megaman? Because Nintendo is sitting on plenty of inactive IPs that sold more than a single Megaman game could ever sell. And besides, we're getting a Megaman spiritually successor next year.

That's what I said lol..

Puru

Came in to say just this. If they did, they'd have guaranteed Monster Hunter exclusivity forever, Mega Man could live and Street Fighter & Resident Evil would be exclusive, among others.

I don't see how any of this would be good. Well megaman aside but i guess anybody would be smart enough to revive it anyway.

Top Bottom