• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom share holders do not approve stock take over defense

antibolo

Banned
Seriously now guys, if anyone buys Capcom it will be either:

1) A company not related to video games at all, which will not change Capcom much

2) A mobile games company that will turn Capcom IP to a f2p garbage factory

Best scenario would be a THQ-style bankruptcy buffet, but that's highly unlikely, Capcom is not doing badly enough for that.

Or Capcom. The investors want them to make more money. Being locked onto the platforms of one manufacturer wouldn't do that.

Well, that is not true at all. Monster Hunter makes loads of money and that's a 3ds exclusive. Imagine if all Capcom games had the level of focus and budget that Nintendo can provide.

All of those classic Capcom IPs would do incredibly well and Nintendo would be looking hardcore gamers in the eyes: I don't know anyone that would be able to resist a console that has Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, MegaMan, Monster Hunter, Breath of Fire, Dead Rising, Dino Crisis, Phoenix Wright, and Viewtiful Joe exclusively.

Nintendo would never do it because Iwata is promising investors profit for the next three years. Spending all that money on Capcom is certainly out of the question I'd think.

Sandfox

So one of the things Iwata said a few years back is that buying a company for their talent is a terrible idea, because those people will either be unhappy or leave. Even if you lock them in by a contract, people who don't want to leave there won't be doing the work you bought their skills for.

This is more me saying, companies that are buying Capcom for its talents will be buying damaged goods.

Even then you would still get getting a large amount of studios so you would probably be getting damaged goods but it would probably depend on what your looking for with the deal because buying a company like Capcom would still give you a lot of global capital.

How long until they try to get it approved again ?

So it means that if Facebook decided to buy them, they could force them to make "Face Fighter 5: Oculus edition" ?

Here is the takeover defense plan:

ujb1s3Q.png

Renewal of this plan requires approval by the shareholders through a proposal, and since the shareholders clearly didn't go for the proposal, Capcom has to wait until next June (the next meeting of shareholders) for shareholders to put something new into place.

Ludist210

True Story: I met Ono at E3 during his signing and asked him to port Ultra SSFIV to the Wii U and he laughed and said it's probably not going to happen. Then I said, "ok, then how about deep down?" Then he laughed even harder and said he's not sure the Wii U can even display Deep Down.

Buy Capcom, Nintendo. And cancel those projects.
But Ono isn't at Capcom anymore...

EulaCapra

Even though it's probably not in their best interest to be bought by Nintendo, Nintendo should still go all greedy for a change and buy them. But a "who's that?" conglomerate will end buying Capcom anyway.

I'm hoping another Japanese video game company would swoop in so Namco-Bandai-Tecmo-Koei-Sega-Sammy-Konami-Capcom would be a real thing.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Nintendo would never do it because Iwata is promising investors profit for the next three years. Spending all that money on Capcom is certainly out of the question I'd think.

But if Nintendo buy Capcom then they get to 100% own the Monster Hunter IP, surely that's an investment worth owning.

I don't think any of the big 3 will purchase Capcom but another gaming company interested in all their stock (See: Atlus).. We will have to see where that goes.

1) A company not related to video games at all, which will not change Capcom much

Pretty much. "Normal" gaming companies have nothing to win from Capcom the company aside from the IPs. Capcom isn't exactly doing great.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yup, I thought about GungHo

Well, it depends on who you're talking about. GungHo, seems to have some interest on the traditional market (Ragnarok Odyssey, Puzzle and Dragons Z, Grasshopper) and they probably have enough money to get it.

Nintendo buying Capcom (I don't think they'll do it) would be big though. They'll get a bunch of IPs that are really different from the traditional Nintendo stuff (Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, Dead Rising...) that will help broaden their audience.

And Japan will be theirs as long as the traditional market survives xD

You must really hate Monster Hunter if you want SEGA to buy them.

One thing I should mention about GungHo is that they're majority owned by SoftBank, who is primarily interested in high margin titles.

I do think it's the right general conceptual field though. If someone wants 1200 developers and a bunch of at least workable IPs, like a cash rich, but staff/IP low company, then $1-$2 billion for Capcom isn't a bad deal.

fader

hmm... no real interesting conversations yet so i'll try to start one.

What makes you guys think Nintendo should buy Capcom majority shares (ignoring your fanboy/fangirl dreams)? Don't you think that Nintendo are not doing as great financially (regardless of their total assets)with their Wii U system they are trying to breathe life into? Shouldn't they focus on their own financial gain rather than spending money on a company not doing so well and with the unknown of whether they would make profits for them? Don't forget, Nintendo also have investors they need to please and i dont know what their profit is for this quarter but i don't know how happy investors would be if Nintendo break the bank with buying Capcom shares.

I can't agree with Nintendo buying them with their design philosophy being to come up with a concept or idea that's and fun then select a character to put in it. This method is why we are only now getting word of a Star Fox & Metroid games in development but what about F-zero, Mother series, and other's that have been drowned out because they can't figure out a good way to do a game. As their roster grows the choices and chances of seeing certain characters decreases.

I can see Microsoft putting the IPs to more use to as a leg up on Ps4 stronger hardware.
If Microsoft were to buy Capcom/The IP's, it would be so they could bolster Windows Phone and Windows 8 with Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright and Megaman. Other than that though, I dont see them wanting to do it, no matter how awesome it could be for those customers.

Xpliskin

These scenarios are kinda great:

1) Legendary developer dies, announcing the true start of next-gen (UT announcer: first- blood). Either by being bought by company X or bankruptcy.

2) Capcom rises to the challenge and delivers this gen's greatest games.

3) Capcom IPs are up for sale. Platinum buys DMC, Kamiya releases DMC 5, the world implodes.

gngf123

Why do people want Nintendo/Sony/MS to buy out Capcom? Having Capcom games limited to one platform would be awful.

Same thing happened with the Atlus thread. Quite a lot of GAF wanted Sony to buy them out and some members started tweeting messages to Kaz begging for it, while a few members wanted Nintendo to buy them.

I can kind of understand the Capcom one if only for MegaMan, since it is clear how Nintendo treat it vs Capcom. The rest I don't really know.

Biker19

Banned
Eww. Also, I don't see how ASW getting the IP would be better than Nintendo getting it unless your only concern is the game being on a Sony platform and you don't care about the gameplay.

Just saying, something like Street Fighter is a lot more fitting on a Playstation platform than on either a Nintendo platform or on a Xbox platform, because most fighters do well on PlayStation consoles & that there are a lot of fighting game fans on PS consoles.

Games like Monster Hunter, Viewtiful Joe, Phoenix Wright, & Rockman/Mega Man are more fitting on Nintendo's consoles.

Best scenario would be a THQ-style bankruptcy buffet, but that's highly unlikely, Capcom is not doing badly enough for that.

But option A still leads into option B which is Capcom's current plan (they are releasing a lot of their properties as F2P garbage).

fader

If Microsoft were to buy Capcom/The IP's, it would be so they could bolster Windows Phone and Windows 8 with Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright and Megaman. Other than that though, I dont see them wanting to do it, no matter how awesome it could be for those customers.

sort of a pessimistic foresight don't you think? Capcom doesn't really have a great history with mobile games

Top Bottom