• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Feige finally addresses Ant-Man situation - Starts shooting in August(!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/marve...xy-thanos-ant-man-tv-shows-and-doctor-strange

"Ant-Man is still going to come out on 17 July [2015], we start filming this August. Edgar Wright, who I've known for many years, who wrote the draft with Joe Cornish - much of the movie will still be based very much on that draft and the DNA of what Edgar has created up to this point, but Peyton Reed has stepped in [to direct].

"Adam McKay, a very good writer is reworking parts of the script - not the entirety of the script, but some of it - and it's going to, we believe, come to life in the best version of Ant-Man that we could possibly make. Again Ant-Man is a very important character for us. We like that people don't necessarily know what it is, we like that it sounds sort of strange when you first hear the notion of Ant-Man, or a hero that can shrink, but he's a very key Marvel character: he's a key Avenger. He's an important character we want to bring into our universe and Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas and an amazing cast all set to start in August, we believe that we're on the road to the best version of Ant-Man that we could have."

There's other stuff about the Netflix shows and Guardians, and Doctor Strange, and so on on there, but whatever, not much we haven't heard before.

But man, that feels like such a non-answer. They're not shooting till August and still hitting in July, wow.

As much as I love Edgar Wright with all my heartsoul, I'm not automatically discounting this movie. I also don't think that everything he touches is gold, or that his involvement would have made the movie instantly great.

His flair will be missed, but we're all gonna have to move on.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
We still like you, Kevin. We would just still like our more-er if you would make things Wright.

I'm not worried. I'm not a big fan of ant man so my expectations are kind of low anyways.
I don't care who it is, could be fart man for all I care, it's the fact that this could have been a great movie and now it's going to be some mediocre shit. It's disappointing.

Wright works magic. This is going to be a trainwreck.

I don't care who it is, could be fart man for all I care, it's the fact that this could have been a great movie and now it's going to be some mediocre shit. It's disappointing.

Wright works magic. This is going to be a trainwreck.

God I would hate to have your outlook on life

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
On Dr. Strange

"Doctor Strange is a character that I've been interested in for many, many years and that I've talked about in interviews for probably 14 years, because I believe it's very, very important for us to explore every nook and cranny of the comic-book universe and we've done the street-level heroes, and we've done the billionaire superheroes [on Earth]. We've now done the cosmic side with Thor and Avengers and most obviously with Guardians, but there's a whole other side of the Marvel comics, which is that supernatural side - the interdimensional side of the Marvel universe, and Doctor Strange is, I believe, our entry point into that other realm, which has dozens of characters and storylines all of its own."

Feige continued, "Strange is very, very important, not just because it's an amazing character study, and a journey of a man who's gone from this very arrogant surgeon to somebody who is quite zen and literally keeps all of reality together on a daily basis, but it also is going to open up a whole other side of storytelling for our movies. So we're about to hire a writer to redo a draft, and we think we'll be casting probably in the next month or two, and announcing an actor, and then we get into production in the spring of next year."

anaron

"Ant-Man is still going to come out on 17 July [2015], we start filming this August. Edgar Wright, who I've known for many years, who wrote the draft with Joe Cornish - much of the movie will still be based very much on that draft and the DNA of what Edgar has created up to this point, but Peyton Reed has stepped in [to direct]."

Haha, these lies

The internet. All those who went in masses to watch scott pilgrim mainly.

Eh I say it'll be passable. Which, in a way, is worse than it being complete trash, considering what it might have been. I predict a "Thor 1" quality, like yeah it's fine, but it's not going on anybody's "must watch" list.

J10

Banned
Get Strange and Black Bolt going because I want an Illuminati movie. Replace Reed with Old Pym if you want.

Tom_Cody

Trying to fool us into believing it's a Edgar Wright film without Wright.
I think his statement is probably accurate. One of the major issues of this mess is that Wright left so close to shooting. Pre-production was already well under way and a lot of money had been spent.

It is still unclear what the specific issues (we know in a general sense) were that resulted in Wright leaving, but one would have to image that the Ant-Man that will eventually go into production will be at least be mostly similar to the project he was prepping for 8 years.

That said, there is no reason to expect that the finish product will have the feel of Wright's work.

Slayven

The way he is talking about Antman being an important part of the Avengers lead me to believe they are going to pull an okey doke with Pym. Cause Lang ain't been shit but a stand in.

I still can't even begin to drudge up the slightest clue as to why anyone wants an Antman film to start with ... even less so now.

I still can't even begin to drudge up the slightest clue as to why anyone wants an Antman film to start with ... even less so now.

You're like a broken record on this. For someone with so much apathy (and probably a complete lack of experience) towards the character, you sure seem to care enough to post multiple times in every ant-man thread about "shrinking man." Go read a comic or gtfo.

I'm more or less at peace with Wright being gone. I can accept that this movie probably won't be as good as it could have been but I'm ok with the new guys they brought in and it could still end up good. But nothing worries me more at this point than the amount of time they have to shoot and release this movie. I really hope they don't fuck the movie down another level just because they rushed it.

Eh, Wright has a unique visual style which while interesting to watch is somewhat of an acquired taste. Given that these Marvel movies are tied together I am fine with some homogenization in that regard.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

I would say its because people like the character, but theres only a handful of us, so i dont know

nomis

Considering that the updated synopsis suddenly included paint by numbers "save the entire world" impossibly high stakes bullshit in what was supposed to be a heist movie, color me cynical.

You're like a broken record on this. For someone with so much apathy (and probably a complete lack of experience) towards the character, you sure seem to care enough to post multiple times in every ant-man thread about "shrinking man." Go read a comic or gtfo.

Is this an Ant-Man Comic thread? Or is this a thread about a Marvel movie? Cause if it's a Marvel movie thread then it should be no shocker that someone who likes Marvel flicks keeps tabs on em.

And then there's this.

I would say its because people like the character, but theres only a handful of us, so i dont know

Seems like once Wright was canned most of the people in these threads outed themselves as only caring because of the guy who was directing it. Which, in hide-sight, makes sense of why most everyone who tried to explain why they looked forward to this film cited the director's past films over anything else.

So yeah, may sound like a broken record but fuck ... I'm a pretty chill guy when it comes to these types of movies from a concept PoV so it's really strange to ME that I can't see the appeal to something Marvel decided to toss years and 100+Mill at.

And I'm saying maybe you would understand why they even allowed Wright to work on it in the first place if you looked at any of the source material. I'm actually more excited for a movie that will have some impact on the mcu franchise as a whole even if it's not as stylish as it could have been. I see these movies because I like the characters and I like the stories, not because of innovative cinematography. They're blockbusters not indie flicks.

pants

The way he is talking about Antman being an important part of the Avengers lead me to believe they are going to pull an okey doke with Pym. Cause Lang ain't been shit but a stand in.
Only way I can possibly be interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom