• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to Mexico next week for the first time, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonsito

Hi guys, next monday I will have to travel to Mexico for a couple of meetings with my boss, I'm from Spain, so language is a non-issue, but I need some tips or advices on what are the do's and don'ts there.

Thanks!

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Don't buy drugs, don't go in stupid areas, don't fight, don't piss in the street. Have fun, be polite and wear sun screen.

Are you going to Mexico DF(capital?)

-Eat carnitas or tamales(the "guajolotas" are overrated, look for tamales oaxaqueños o veracruzanos)
-If you use a taxi, NEVER use a EdoMex taxi(they will charge you double or triple the normal fare, if they hear your accent they will charge you like five or six times more) if you must take a taxi, ask them to turn the taximetro on. If they don't do that, bail, bail hard
-If you are going to any other state, tell us so we can share som tips on what to do, it seems that this board has lots of mexicans :D

Pickman

Back in 2006 I went to Mexico with some friends on a trip and our hotel room was broken into. They stole a few things but missed a few others, and I had my camera and some other things on me at the time. We called the police, and when they got there they made a show of looking around our hotel room, distracting us with questioning, and then stealing the rest of our shit while we weren't looking.

We noticed shortly after, but I wasn't about to get thrown into a Mexican holding cell, so I kept quiet. Later I asked one of the bartenders downstairs about that kind of thing and he said it's a pretty common occurrence and I was smart to keep quiet about it because they make life hell for tourists who try to bring it up.

TL;DR - Don't get in a situation where you need the police in Mexico.

Leonsito

I don't know yet were I'm going to stay, I have a couple of meetings in Minatitlan...

I'm prepared for the jokes about my accent haha

Also, fuck Robben.

Minatitlan is in Veracruz if I remember correctly, the people there also have accent so I don't think they will laugh thaaat much at you

also, lots and lots of people think that women with spain accent sound sexy as hell, so if you are a woman you won't get laughed at ever

(eat tamales if you are in veracruz)

Alebrije

At your arrival you must be wearing Spain´s soccer team t-shirt.

If you come to Mexico City go visit La Lagunilla and Neza areas , those are nice places.

Leonsito

Back in 2006 I went to Mexico with some friends on a trip and our hotel room was broken into. They stole a few things but missed a few others, and I had my camera and some other things on me at the time. We called the police, and when they got there they made a show of looking around our hotel room, distracting us with questioning, and then stealing the rest of our shit while we weren't looking.

We noticed shortly after, but I wasn't about to get thrown into a Mexican holding cell, so I kept quiet. Later I asked one of the bartenders downstairs about that kind of thing and he said it's a pretty common occurrence and I was smart to keep quiet about it because they make life hell for tourists who try to bring it up.

TL;DR - Don't get in a situation where you need the police in Mexico.

Wow...

It seems that I'm going to stay one night in Minatitlan, rest of the week in DF.

Leonsito

Lots of advice about bottle water, thanks guys. I guess drinking out of the tap in the hotel is a big NO then.

The Taxi thing has me worried, I've read a lot of things on the internet :(

yeah, the taxi thing can be awful. Are you in a business travel isn't? then you should only take taxis from your hotel(ask to the front desk to send you a cab and where) and from the company(the same, ask the secretary to order a cab) Usually the companies and hotels have partenrships with taxi companies so those are safe

But in the DF? always travel with the windows rolled up, always

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
It's like going anywhere you're unfamiliar with. Don't make yourself a target. Don't wander around alone. Drink bottled water. Keep situational awareness. For taxis and the like... sometimes it's good to have a GPS or yahoo directions so that you know generally how to get from point A to point B in case the cabbie decides to take you on the "scenic" tour.

Metroxed

Except Spaniards speak with a lisp...
All the other countries that speak spanish got rid of that part.

Probably cause it sounds pretty lame.

It is not a lisp, it is just how that particular sound is pronounced here. It is not a mistake, it is not involuntary. It is just the correct way to pronounce c/z in Peninsular Spanish.

Thorakai

If you have to open your bag for inspection upon arrival keep your eye on the dude rummaging through your stuff.

Alebrije

Lots of advice about bottle water, thanks guys. I guess drinking out of the tap in the hotel is a big NO then.

there are official taxis forn airport to hotels , those are safe and the best option , you can choose from 2-3 companies that sell tickets inside airport. Also most of decent Hotels have taxi services also safe. I have seem that most of Spain visitors go to Zona Rosa Hotels , specially one named "NH", Zona rosa is very safe no matter the hour.

MutFox

Banned
It is not a lisp, it is just how that particular sound is pronounced here. It is not a mistake, it is not involuntary. It is just the correct way to pronounce c/z in Peninsular Spanish.

Ahh, I guess it's not a lisp, just sounds like it... :/

don't drink the water

do eat the seafood

don't get scared when driving through check points where the police/military are armed with automatic weapons

do keep your wallet in your front pocket

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

Yeah the taxis there are dangerous....hopefully you don't have to travel too far to need One from your hotel to the business meeting area...

Also if you're gonna talk to my paisanos, talk about sports like the world cup. Sounds sympathetic to Mexico's loss vs Holland...like curse out robbens name as well as the ref I'd you want lol...

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Wear orange. A lot of orange. They love it since a week or so...

no really, stay away from wearing anything remotely orange. The wounds have not healed yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom