• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to Mexico next week for the first time, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zruben

Banned
I was there a couple months ago. Highlights for me

- Chichen Itza
- Snorkeling with sea turtles
- Coco Bongo

hahaha, motherfucking Cancun for the win.

why is this mejico-mexico thing? I´m also from Spain and never knew it was offensive to spell it with J

Well... México is derived of the glorious Náhuatl language from our Aztec ancestors.
Méjico is the adaptation that the spanish conquistadores gave it.

it's not exactly "offensive", it's just weird to see it spelled like that, because to us, it's wrong.

why is this mejico-mexico thing? I´m also from Spain and never knew it was offensive to spell it with J
It's offensive in the sense that 'you don't care enough to get my country's name right'; coming from a Spaniard, it could and will be misunderstood as "the imperialist doesn't fully recognize the independence" or something akin to it.

Personally, as a hispanic literature major I don't mind it, because I can relate to the intricacies of language (mixed with history, and what history). Mexicans are hyper nationalistic (for good reasons, historically), so anything that 'butchers' the national myths (or the name in this case) is frowned upon.

Hollycat

Can you also get sick by eating food made with tap water if it is not cooked properly?

Probably. Bacteria works the same no matter where the water comes from.
Good News it, water boils at a relatively low temperature, and that's basically the only time tap water would be used to cook.

zruben

Banned
I just saw the post that you're only gonna be in Veracruz for one day, and the rest of the week in DF. Most of the tips in the previous pages also work for DF, and here are a couple more.

-If you HAVE to use the Metro (subway), try to do a little research about the route. You can travel the whole city in Metro and it's cheap as fuck, just do a proper research about the stations
-Again with the metro thing... take EXTRA CARE of your possessions there, they can take a cellphone out of your pocket without you even notice.
-Don't trust anyone... ANYONE!
-Visit the museums if you have time. Soumaya is pretty awesome and Palacio de Bellas Artes it's just incredible.
-If you want to visit some quiet and kinda "hipster" zone, go to Coyoacan and enjoy the great food and plazas there.
-If you have time, go to the PIrámides in Teotihuacán, the earlier in the morning, the better... and have brunch/lunch in a restaurant called "La Cueva", it's directly behind Teotihuacán, and it's a great way to eat authentic mexican food in a unique and cool setting (you'll be literally inside a cave).
-Do some shopping, DF is cheaper that every other city in Mexico, and you'll also have euros. LOL.
-As some other posters said: Don't use the word "coger", in México, "coger" means "to fuck", you can use "agarrar" instead of "coger".
-Sorry for the insistence, but you need to hear Chistes de Gallegos, ask people about them.

QUE? Nunca crei que conoceria a alguien con ese grado.
No es una carrera que estudias por necesidad sino por gusto. De lo contrario la estás cagando hahah.

:(

Kids, go for the stems.

Also, great advice itt. Keep the tips coming.

Oh, tipping does exist in Mexico, some places include it in the tab, others leave it to the customer. 10% is generally expected

Dai101

Banned
-Don't trust anyone... ANYONE!
-Visit the museums if you have time. Soumaya is pretty awesome and Palacio de Bellas Artes it's just incredible.
-As some other posters said: Don't use the word "coger", in México, "coger" means "to fuck", you can use "agarrar" instead of "coger".
-Sorry for the insistence, but you need to hear Chistes de Gallegos, ask people about them.

Really OP. Take those advices at heart and your stay here will be a wonderful one.

No es una carrera que estudias por necesidad sino por gusto. De lo contrario la estás cagando hahah.

Jejeje........ yeah. I know people like that, but in the end you did what you did for something you love :D right? I'll be miserable if i spend all those years of my life for something that in the end i hate and will only bring me money and nothing else.

Keep in mind that ice there (most resorts/restaurants) is made from tap water, so either be okay with drinking the tap water, or don't order drinks with ice (ie. Margaritas, Pina Coladas, dacquaries, or any cocktails on the rocks). Much of the fresh vegetables are also washed in that same water, so steer clear of green salads, etc...but eat plenty of fruit as it's always great there and lime with everything. Basically stick with beer and tequila shots if you want to avoid crippling stomach pains.

RM8

I don't think I know anyone who would be offended by seeing the word "Méjico", honestly. It's not a word in Spanish, so it's basically like spelling Corea or Brasil. It's harmless, I doubt anyone would actually find it offensive (simply incorrect).

Dai101

Banned
Just to finish the ice bullshit

Ice used for drinks and the like are cleared (lol) to be for human consumption, or otherwise it should be labeled as not for that. The same for the water. The ice and the like should be made with purified water, the same regulations that the companies that sell bottled water apply for the ice makers (which sometimes are the same). Hell, be my guest and read all the NOM:

http://www.agua.org.mx/index.php/component/docman/doc_download/114-nom-201-ssa1-2002?Itemid=

OP will not die or get diarrea for a margarita.

RM8

I don't know about many countries, but Japan is uber picky with clean water and food, and my Japanese relatives never get sick while eating / drinking here :/ You'll be fine, I promise :p

...-Visit the museums if you have time. Soumaya is pretty awesome and Palacio de Bellas Artes it's just incredible.
-If you want to visit some quiet and kinda "hipster" zone, go to Coyoacan and enjoy the great food and plazas there.

I lived like a year in Mexico(I'm from Mty), the museums there are awesome, especially the Mueso Nacional de Antropologia(Motherfuckin Tlaloc!!!), that is one of the must see museums(and if he is very catholic, maybe the basilica?)

If restaurants and bars made their ice, they would need tons of freeza to meet demand. I don't doubt some do (smaller 'fondas'), but most get their ice from providers.

Check out coming concerts (or smaller gigs) in mexico city, you get to see some really great stuff there.

Antropologia is my favorite museum.

Dai101

Banned
I lived like a year in Mexico(I'm from Mty), the museums there are awesome, especially the Mueso Nacional de Antropologia(Motherfuckin Tlaloc!!!), that is one of the must see museums(and if he is very catholic, maybe the basilica?)

Antropologia is my favorite museum.

Last time i went to el DF i missed it (stupid time, y u no slow down) but at least i went to the Templo Mayor museum which i can't stop to recomend to go, is free on sundays too.

http://www.templomayor.inah.gob.mx/

Just to finish the ice bullshit

Ice used for drinks and the like are cleared (lol) to be for human consumption, or otherwise it should be labeled as not for that. The same for the water. The ice and the like should be made with purified water, the same regulations that the companies that sell bottled water apply for the ice makers (which sometimes are the same). Hell, be my guest and read all the NOM:

http://www.agua.org.mx/index.php/component/docman/doc_download/114-nom-201-ssa1-2002?Itemid=

OP will not die or get diarrea for a margarita.
Maybe it's like that for restaurants, but I've seen how local places make their ice cubes. They get blocks of ice delivered to them in dirty trucks, they then place these blocks on the ground without any protection, then they put the blocks of ice in a dirty machine that crushes them into ice cubes. So yes restaurants might be fine but never get ice from a local vendor.

dude, I'm from Monterrey too, and we're spoiled with fresh and clean tap water, in the rest of Mexico is not so safe. LOL

I had no idea, I just asked some friends and they also told me that we have super clean water that's even better than many first world countries, isn't that nice haha.

Alebrije

OP. do not forget to avoid any espejitos / mirror reference, no matter if it is a joke or serious conversation, some people could be very sensible about that.

I guess sometimes when you're clubbing you gotta take a leap of faith. This applies to life. Otherwise there's too many worries in your head to achieve the original goal (what if the alcohol is adulterated, what if this girl just wants to mug me, what if she's got cooties, what if those guys are looking for a fight and oh shit, they're chapo's sons, etc.). I say look only for the best places, take advice from people you trust, and generally avoid putting yourself in a position prone to getting surprises (yeah, don't get shitfaced alone -or don't get: moderation-, don't go to that shady looking place with no customers, don't drink the ice your eyes saw in terror as it was unloaded from rusty old trucks, beware of strangers, etc., golden rules of the conscious tourist).

Now, I understand the health concerns, but I'd also like to share that Corona beer is made with tap water, technically.

What I'm trying to get at, is that if your mindset is that of constant worry (a legitimate one, getting intoxicated sucks), honestly, you might as well do yourself a favor and not visit the place. Or, bring medicine or something.

I get the appeal of visiting Mexico, but many tourists have a false expectation of the quality to price ratio. Many want it all: a nice resort with view to the beach, banging clubs with honeys and alcohol, quality food and entertainment, but they want it cheap and with American standards. We're still developing, and I really hope that in a not so distant future, flocks of Americans fly down south just to drink our tap water. When they run out of water, perhaps.

Alebrije

Care to elaborate about the mirror things? Thanx.

In resume : Spanish conquerors took our gold and they gave us little mirrors on exchange. Its a popular belief.

So every time someone want to take an adventage on an negotiarion we usually say : -You are selling me little mirrors !!!!!

Also of OP comes to México to do bussines surely Mexicans are thinking : - this guy could be selling us espejitos/mirrors. Just because he is from Spain and he will go to Minatitlan, a place when this kind of thinking persist.

You know what else is made with tap water EVERYTHING, including **gasp** BOTTLED WATER!!!!
That's why I drink tap. Our local water company charges quite a bit, but is safe for mexican human consumption. My mom doesn't like the taste and buys ton of water from Coca-Cola, I'm like mom por favor.

They do taste different.

Also of OP comes to México to do bussines surely Mexicans are thinking : - this guy could be selling us espejitos/mirrors. Just because he is from Spain and he will go to Minatitlan, a place when this kind of thinking persist.
You seem very familiar with the place and its idiosyncrasies. Surely you have been there many times. How's Don Nacho?

Double post my bad.

Kids, go for the stems.

Also, great advice itt. Keep the tips coming.

Oh, tipping does exist in Mexico, some places include it in the tab, others leave it to the customer. 10% is generally expected

Una amiga tambien es licenciada en literatura.

Ya le di la carrilla suficiente de eso.

Truant

For some reason I'm surprised nobody mentioned how you're gonna get kidnapped and tortured.

I guess I have a pretty shitty view of Mexico in my head. Been reading too many horror stories.

hunnies28

As a Mexican, what's up with the "only drink bottled water" stuff? I've had tap water my entire life... but then again, I'm from Monterrey and I have never traveled south so maybe it's fine here.

If I had to give tips, eat tons of food cause Mexico has the best in the world.

Creo que Nuevo León es el único estado con agua potable directo de la llave.

No sabia que había tantos mexicanos en GAF. Tantos estados que he visitado donde pude haber conocido un gaffer.

zruben

Banned
For some reason I'm surprised nobody mentioned how you're gonna get kidnapped and tortured.

I guess I have a pretty shitty view of Mexico in my head. Been reading too many horror stories.

well, there's some posts that include some references that he's gonna die LOL

the kidnapping and torture is still a thing in some cities and towns, sadly... but it's not very common with foreign visitors, I guess because of the "hassle" for the kidnappers to contact the family to get ransom money.

the usual targets for those are wealthy or semi-whealty locals. And well there's also fake kidnappings where they got all your info somehow (it's usually your fault, answering some random poll that a person makes you on the street, or answering a telephonic poll) and use it to bluff about some kidnapping and ask for money.

the drug cartels problems are heavy, but they don't usually involves random citizens, unless you're buying or dealing with that stuff, it's very unlikely that you get involved in a cross-fire or something like that.

and well, there's minor assaults on the streets, but it's like any other city in the world, if you're wandering alone in suspicious dark street, you're basically asking for trouble.

so well, yeah, my point is that mexico is unsafe... but it's not THAT unsafe.

dcdobson

If you go to Mexico City, check out the restaurant Pujol. Very very good stuff. Some say it's among the best restaurants in the world. I'm not sure if I'd go that far, but it's absolutely worth checking out.

Raptor

No era penal.

pl4Jm.gif

Leonsito

Thanks for all the advice guys, i have more info on my trip, I'll we stayin one night in Minatitlan and 6 in DF, near la columna de la independencia, seems like a good place to stay. I don't think I will have too much time to make tourism, but I will try to eat a lot of the recommended food.

Also, it's worth buying something gaming related there? I'm on retrogaming more than anything.

Thanks for all the advice guys, i have more info on my trip, I'll we stayin one night in Minatitlan and 6 in DF, near la columna de la independencia, seems like a good place to stay. I don't think I will have too much time to make tourism, but I will try to eat a lot of the recommended food.

Also, it's worth buying something gaming related there? I'm on retrogaming more than anything.

I don't know about Minatitlan but I stayed near there when I visited DF. I had no safety issues if your worried about that. I was wondering around at dark too. I'm also really gringo looking

Lol no dude gaming is overpriced to the infinity and beyond in mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom