• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to Mexico next week for the first time, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Wear orange. A lot of orange. They love it since a week or so...

no really, stay away from wearing anything remotely orange. The wounds have not healed yet.
You'd make a great piñata, neorej.
:p

Also leonsito if you're gonna go to D.F. it'll be great if you wore heavy metal shirts like motorhead or Judas priest. Mexicans love heavy metal there in the capital

f0lken

My GF and I are good travel guides on Mexico City (non proffesionally, but we have helped a couple of friends to visit nice places here) , and my father is a taxi driver on here too, so if you need any help once you are here, be my guest and send me a PM

Dai101

Banned
OP, don't forget this:

"Ir a Veracruz y no pasar al Café de la Parroquia es como no haber ido a Veracruz"

Mosquitoes in the southern hemisphere carry malaria. Protect yourself from mosquito bites.

Learn you geography.

As a Mexican, what's up with the "only drink bottled water" stuff? I've had tap water my entire life... but then again, I'm from Monterrey and I have never traveled south so maybe it's fine here.

If I had to give tips, eat tons of food cause Mexico has the best in the world.

I don't know yet were I'm going to stay, I have a couple of meetings in Minatitlan...

I'm prepared for the jokes about my accent haha

Also, fuck Robben.
Well veracruz and xalapa are both nice places with plenty of history. There's smaller towns like Coatzacoalcos that can also be of interest. People in Veracruz are known for their laidback style and sense of humor, jolly music and food (cafe!!!). There's plenty of adventure tourism if that's your thing, but if you ask me, I would not miss visiting mexico city.

Do not trust strangers who approach you, do not use public taxi cabs (or microbuses from hell), do not get drunk without trusted company (much less in shady places run by mafia), try not to give an obvious tourist vibe, avoid shady hotels, the works.

I'm sure your hosts will take care of you. I know nothing about Veracruz, but my favorite writer, spanish author Enrique Vila-Matas, has a novel titled 'Tan lejos de Veracruz' on Anagrama I believe. If you like reading and can get ahold of it I think it could familiarize you with the setting from a spanish pov.

http://www.revistabuenviaje.com/conocemexico/destinos/veracruz/puertoveracruz/puertoveracruz.php

That site has some info about the port of Veracruz.

"Ir a Veracruz y no pasar al Café de la Parroquia es como no haber ido a Veracruz"

Keep your wallet in the front pocket.
Be careful if you take a taxi, it may try to take an unnecesary long way to get you anywhere if they see you don't know the city.
Enjoy the food. Seriously.

Take care, so long you don't do anything stupid or go to stupid areas, you should be just fine.

Also never write it Mejico, or call us Mejicanos :mad:

Is Mexico with an X

This too. And be polite. You can be the president, but you ask for things with "please" at the end.

As a Mexican, what's up with the "only drink bottled water" stuff? I've always had tap water my entire life... but then again, I'm from Monterrey and I have never traveled south so maybe it's fine here.

You've gotten used to it I assume. The water isn't as treated as it is here in the US (at least in most of Mexico) so the bacteria wrecks our guts and keeps us in bed and on the toilet for 2-3 days. After you get it you can usually drink the water. But its not worth the 2-3 days of extreme pain and diarrhea IMO. Not gonna lie though. My digestive system felt so much better than it did before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveler's_diarrhea

RM8

Your hotel might have its own taxi service, those are fine. Also, don't panic, Mexico City is actually pretty safe for a major city (I recall reading it's the 12th safest major city in the world). You're a tourist, you're not going to make it to the heart of Tepito or other shady zones, so you'll be fine. Eat everything you see, food is mostly awesome in Mexico City :3 There are also lots of museums: http://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categoría:Museos_del_Distrito_Federal_(México).

Espero que disfrutes tu estadía, mucha suerte y bienvenido :D

Thorakai

As a Mexican, what's up with the "only drink bottled water" stuff? I've always had tap water my entire life... but then again, I'm from Monterrey and I have never traveled south so maybe it's fine here.

I know my family in Puebla don't drink from tap and rely on gallon water. I'm actually not sure whats up with the water, but my grandma would comment that its not safe to buy the flavored waters on the streets because you don't know if it was made from tap water. So yea. Could be a regional thing.

You've gotten used to it I assume. The water isn't as treated as it is here in the US (at least in most of Mexico) so the bacteria wrecks our guts and keeps us in bed and on the toilet for 2-3 days. After you get it you can usually drink the water. But its not worth the 2-3 days of extreme pain and diarrhea IMO.

Makes sense, also I love how it's called "Montezuma's revenge" hahahahaha.

I know my family in Puebla don't drink from tap and rely on gallon water. I'm actually not sure whats up with the water, but my grandma would comment that its not safe to buy the flavored waters on the streets because you don't know if it was made from tap water. So yea. Could be a regional thing.

Just asked my dad and he says Monterrey has clean water compared to other parts of the country and he told me not to drink tap water if I ever go over there. I could not imagine a life of only drinking gallon water tbh.

I lived in Guadalajara in a nice part of town and they didn't drink the tap.

Ishida

Banned

Yup. I'm from Guadalajara, we don't drink tap water here.

I lived in Torreón, Coahuila for a while, and the tap water is completely drinkable. So it is a regional thing.

RM8

Okay the ice thing is downright paranoia, lol. And so is being afraid of the cartels in Mexico City.

Dai101

Banned

Nobody drinks from the tap. Specially since most of our water comes from Chapala. Sure, it gets a basic treatment before it reaches the homes but is not as safe. On the other hand you can just add a filter and/or boil it and voile, nice drinking water.

BTW. We used to drink from the tap when we were younger and never got sick or anything like that. Then again our main source for water are these in every home:

oMZcXZh.jpg

And recently in most places you can refill that same jug for the cheap (not even $1 dollar per 20lt) so OP if you need water just refill your empty store bought bottle with these wich i'm sure you can find in the hotel or whatever place you're staying.

Did i mention to not forgive to visit La Parroquia?

You've gotten used to it I assume. The water isn't as treated as it is here in the US (at least in most of Mexico) so the bacteria wrecks our guts and keeps us in bed and on the toilet for 2-3 days. After you get it you can usually drink the water. But its not worth the 2-3 days of extreme pain and diarrhea IMO. Not gonna lie though. My digestive system felt so much better than it did before.

?

Never heard of it.

Then again my city has always been know for having the best tap water.

I guess I will get many weird looks when I tell people that when the children used to play in the strees they just drinked water from the hose, or directly from the valve in the garage. You were wasting money if you were buying bottled water.

Eat motherfucking COCHINITA PIBIL.

So good.
The best.

Re: tap water
I also drink it, because I pay plenty for it and thus far so good (chihuahua here). But I am aware of the dangers lol. Some hotels will tell you if tap water is drinkable, the last hotel I stayed in had a sign, but that was a first for me.

Better safe than sorry.

Clydefrog

Before getting in the taxi, if you know where you're going, just haggle for a decent price. That way the driver can't go in circles.

Veracruz is a hot and humid place, so if you are going to be there for a day and night you should pack some adequate clothing. I've heard from people that have visited there that it is not one of the safest places in Mexico but since you'll only be there for a short time, don't stress, you will be fine. Enjoy the scenery and try some of the tasty food, music and culture that jarochos (people from Veracruz) tend to enjoy themselves. As long as you're not calling much attention to yourself, you will be safe.

Mexico DF is a wonderful place. It has become such a great city this last decade and since you'll be there for a week or so, be sure to partake in culture and history by going to Bosque de Chapultepec, Castillo de Chapultepec, Bellas Artes, taking a stroll through Paseo de la Reforma, Zocalo, Xochimilco, plus museums and other parks and tons and tons of food! Also, Mexico DF has become very bike friendly so rent a bike and take a stroll through the city and take in all the sights and sounds! Trust me, you'll enjoy it.

Oh, and since DF is a big tourist place in Mexico, you can be a bit more touristy and walk freely with a camera if you are inclined to take photos. But I do recommend what others say about the water and also be careful of eating from any street food vender. Not that their dangerous or anything but since you live in Europe, you are not exposed to certain bacterias and such that the locals are, and are used to. So unless you want to be bed ridden and toilet-ridden, just use common sense when eating food. Should I eat tacos from this lonely, middle of nowhere alley with no one around or should I eat from the stand in the mercado with a lot of people? Stuff like that.

sestrugen

Lots of advice about bottle water, thanks guys. I guess drinking out of the tap in the hotel is a big NO then.

The Taxi thing has me worried, I've read a lot of things on the internet :(

Ask the front desk for taxi services where you schedule your travel before hand, don't take one off the street if possible.

Drink bottled water, drinking from the tap is probably not a good idea.

Carry essentials only if you venture outside to a non-touristic area, tourists areas should be fine.

No hagas lo que no harias en España (callejones oscuros, atajos, pedir consejos a cualquier persona).

Siempre usa taxis de sitio o los que te recomiende el hotel.

Las mamadarias no existen en mexico.

No uses la palabra coger. Tampoco tio. Ni tampoco liao.

No tomes agua de la llave.

Creo que con eso. Que te diviertas.

Ah si, no cuentes el dinero en publico y no digas cuanto traes.

Hollycat

Don't buy bottled water from street vendors.
They take empty ones, cut off the caps, fill em with tap water, and put a new cap on.

I've been to Mexico multiple times here's what I've picked up.

1. Do NOT drink the tap water
2. Dress very casually when you go outdoors
3. Never take your smartphone out in public
4. Constantly check your pockets for your wallet
5. ALWAYS use the bathroom before going outdoors
6. Never order your drink with ice

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

This is why I only drink beer (with a head on it) in West Africa, and why I carry iodine tablets when backpacking.

?

Never heard of it.

Then again my city has always been know for having the best tap water.

I guess I will get many weird looks when I tell people that when the children used to play in the strees they just drinked water from the hose, or directly from the valve in the garage. You were wasting money if you were buying bottled water.

You're not going to get it unless you travel. You've been drinking that stuff since you were a kid, so the bacteria won't be foreign to you. If you get in a plane and go to Cambodia or Angola, you'll get sick, because those are different bugs.

zruben

Banned
As a Mexican, what's up with the "only drink bottled water" stuff? I've had tap water my entire life... but then again, I'm from Monterrey and I have never traveled south so maybe it's fine here.

dude, I'm from Monterrey too, and we're spoiled with fresh and clean tap water, in the rest of Mexico is not so safe. LOL

For our spaniard friend, here are my tips for traveling to Veracruz.

-Have a Cafe La Parroquia, and buy several bags to drink back in spain.
-If you need to take a Taxi, ask for one in the hotel lobby. And ask the hotel employee that they tell you the rate beforehand, they will try to charge you twice or thrice if you're a tourist.
-Futbol is a very popular topic in all mexico. It's a great way to make small talk with the locals. Veracruz team is Tiburones Rojos, and legendary player Cuauhtemoc Blanco used to play with them. The two most popular teams in Mexico is America and Chivas de Guadalajara, you can talk about those too if you need.
-Enjoy our food, just respect the spices. They can be a bitch if your stomach is not used to it.
-Drink Tequila and eat Tamales Veracruzanos.
-I know that the most popular mexican beer is Corona, but trust me, almost any other brand is better. My personal recommendation would be a Bohemia Oscura.
-Veracruz heat is something else, always be hydrated, and wear a lot of sunscreen.
-Oxxo stores are everywhere, and they are your best friends, you can get everything you need in those.
-Seafood in Veracruz is awesome, just try to eat in a healthy-looking place, like a restaurant, instead of eating on a street "puestito"
-I hate to say this, but... don't trust anyone on the streets. Don't wander alone at night. Be careful of your possessions on the street, use your wallet in your front pocket. Don't show-off your fancy cellphone, tablet or camera (if you have one)
-Try to not give too personal details when doing some small talk on the street.
-Ask the locals what are "Chistes de Gallegos". Ask for examples.
LOL
-Fuck Robben. No era penal

3rdman

I never had a problem in the coastal cities like Cancun but in Mexico City, the combination of altitude and absolutely horrific air pollution gave me a headache so damn bad that I almost had to be hospitalized...I ended up taking 5 advils and sitting in a running car with recirculating air for a couple of hours before I felt better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom