• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(07-04-2014, 08:43 AM)
Not much for details, but in case anyone thought he was joining another studio, he's starting his own.

Via: https://twitter.com/supererogatory

Edit:

As a reminder from the last time we heard about this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733075

Originally Posted by Loch Doun

Title: Cliffy B says his next game will be a PC-only first person arena shooter

Heard it on Kevin Pereira's podcast on iTunes today, interesting listen.
www.deathsquad.tv/category/kevin-pereira-pointless/

Other tidbits...

-He can't talk in detail about the Epic split, but is still on good terms with some of them.
-Says he's ready to get back in the game and start his own studio.
-Hopes to use Unreal engine.
-Wants to get back to his roots with this project.
-He also speaks highly of the Oculus so the game will probably have support for that.
-Just speculation on my part for this, but I think Kickstarter might be the route he will go.

Curbstomp if old.

manual4
Banned
(07-04-2014, 08:45 AM)
got a feeling this is going to be mobile/pc game
Mozendo
(07-04-2014, 08:46 AM)
Logo is really nice.
Chittagong
(07-04-2014, 08:46 AM)
Cool name, absolutely terrible logo. Hideous typography and photoshop effects that belong to the 90s. Happy to see Cliffy B back in business however!
Wolfgang Jr
(07-04-2014, 08:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Mozendo

Logo is really nice.

This. Great design.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(07-04-2014, 08:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Chittagong

Cool name, absolutely terrible logo. Hideous typography and photoshop effects that belong to the 90s. Happy to see Cliffy B back in business however!

It would be pretty fitting in this case!

Originally Posted by Loch Doun

Title: Cliffy B says his next game will be a PC-only first person arena shooter

Heard it on Kevin Pereira's podcast on iTunes today, interesting listen.
www.deathsquad.tv/category/kevin-pereira-pointless/

Other tidbits...

-He can't talk in detail about the Epic split, but is still on good terms with some of them.
-Says he's ready to get back in the game and start his own studio.
-Hopes to use Unreal engine.
-Wants to get back to his roots with this project.
-He also speaks highly of the Oculus so the game will probably have support for that.
-Just speculation on my part for this, but I think Kickstarter might be the route he will go.

Curbstomp if old.

ProvenDeadly
(07-04-2014, 08:48 AM)
99.99999% sure it will be a PC game. Interested to see what they make.
Ozzy Onya A2Z
(07-04-2014, 08:49 AM)
And here I was hoping the Konami code would be active on that website for a hidden sneak peek. Nope.
mocoworm
ignore my opinion
on everything ever
(07-04-2014, 08:49 AM)
Shockingly bad logo... unless it's ironic.
Wishmaster92
(07-04-2014, 08:50 AM)
Looks like a vg logo from the90's indeed.

I like
MisterAnderson
Little Big NeoContra
(07-04-2014, 08:52 AM)
Great logo
C.Dark.DN
Banned
(07-04-2014, 08:53 AM)
Concept logo?:
http://creativepool.com/katyg/projec...ns-logo-design

Tempy
don't ask me for codes
(07-04-2014, 08:53 AM)
Is this a key for the Boss room, or a key to switch away from a game when your boss approaches your office/cubicle?

The keyhole in the logo suggests it's the former. (Man, I wonder how many youngins ate familiar with the latter)
Dr Bass
(07-04-2014, 08:55 AM)
The logo is good, and it's a fitting (and kinda cool) name for a game company. I hope he does well with it.

I suppose the people that think the logo is bad thinks it should be a "flat" monochrome logo that is all the rage these days. Heaven forbid it features a little texture. It's funny how cyclical design trends are, and people will attribute "bad" or "good" depending on where we are in the cycle.
Noogy
(07-04-2014, 08:55 AM)
Boss Key is a brilliant name.
Regime
Banned
(07-04-2014, 08:56 AM)
nice
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(07-04-2014, 08:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Tempy

Is this a key for the Boss room, or a key to switch away from a game when your boss approaches your office/cubicle?

The keyhole in the logo suggests it's the former. (Man, I wonder how many youngins ate familiar with the latter)

Boss Keys in the latter sense were like only existent when I was really young, so I suspect there are a lot of people who have no clue what they are.
TheGreatMightyPoo
Banned
(07-04-2014, 08:57 AM)
Dude is a total attention whore but decent name, cool logo.
atr0cious
(07-04-2014, 08:58 AM)

I think Defcon was the last game with the latter. Now, the boss is playing Candy Crush on his phone, so I doubt he'd care. Probably more worried about your Windows 97' laptop being a giant security leak.
BanGy.nz
(07-04-2014, 08:59 AM)
He has a job again does that mean we're allowed to post about him again?
Nachos
(07-04-2014, 09:00 AM)
They really need to ditch those drop shadows. I'm not a fan of the first logo, but doing so would be a big improvement.

The only reason why I know about it is because of the original PC version of N. Were they really prevalent back then?
GeoGonzo
(07-04-2014, 09:02 AM)
I like the name and logo.

You can tell a Dude Huge is behind that lock.
so1337
(07-04-2014, 09:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Noogy

Boss Key is a brilliant name.

Totally. Can't believe nobody thought of that before.
KingGreasy
(07-04-2014, 09:03 AM)
There's a pretty nice resurgence in arena shooters coming up. Unreal Tournament, Project Nex, Cliffy game, and a bunch of obscure indie ones in development as well.
Uncle Rupee
Banned
(07-04-2014, 09:08 AM)

Originally Posted by C.Dark.DN

Concept logo?:
http://creativepool.com/katyg/projec...ns-logo-design

Hm.. did he get his niece to design this one?
Getting a real cheap vibe from this. Definitely going to be a mobile/indie dev.
Dr.Acula
Banned
(07-04-2014, 09:10 AM)
Finally. Ever since Carmack got into rocket science and space goggles and Cliffy B's retirement, there's been nothing on the arena shooter front.

Based B.

I just wonder if it'll have a gimmick, like GoW cover, or UT vehicles, or if this game is kept pretty hardcore.

Does it need next-gen like gfx to achieve the critical mass necessary to build a massive base, or will Cliffy assemble a "dream-team" to drive hype?

F2P or fifty bucks?

I'm damned excited though.
Leafhopper
Banned
(07-04-2014, 09:12 AM)
At least its not the flat minimalist thing that everyone else seems to be going with. I think its a neat logo.
rokkerkory
(07-04-2014, 09:13 AM)
Cool lets see a good game
NeoTankallex
Banned
(07-04-2014, 09:15 AM)
Not gonna lie, I'm digging the name of the company.
Messofanego
Banned
(07-04-2014, 09:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Chittagong

Originally Posted by Dr Bass

The logo is good, and it's a fitting (and kinda cool) name for a game company. I hope he does well with it.

I suppose the people that think the logo is bad thinks it should be a "flat" monochrome logo that is all the rage these days. Heaven forbid it features a little texture. It's funny how cyclical design trends are, and people will attribute "bad" or "good" depending on where we are in the cycle.

Yeah, I think the logo is fine and very appropriate name. It's not out to win graphics design awards lol.
Uncle Rupee
Banned
(07-04-2014, 09:17 AM)

Originally Posted by NeoTankallex

Not gonna lie, I'm digging the name of the company.

You'll probably also like Turtle Rock
Messofanego
Banned
(07-04-2014, 09:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Uncle Rupee

Hm.. did he get his niece to design this one?
Getting a real cheap vibe from this. Definitely going to be a mobile/indie dev.

First, the insult. Then the jumping of conclusions on the development because of a logo.

lol
I Want Your Cat
(07-04-2014, 09:24 AM)
I like the logo. If its an arena shooter, it will probably have good concepts. I bet he heard a bunch of good ideas floating around working at Epic, and the guy is talented. It should be good.
Uncle Rupee
Banned
(07-04-2014, 09:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Messofanego

First, the insult. Then the jumping of conclusions on the development because of a logo.

lol

It looks like that creativepool website is a crowdsourcing site to hire cheap / freelance work at random. If he doesn't have inhouse artists to do a proper logo that doesn't bode well.
C.Dark.DN
Banned
(07-04-2014, 09:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Uncle Rupee

It looks like that creativepool website is a crowdsourcing site to hire cheap / freelance work at random. If he doesn't have inhouse artists to do a proper logo that doesn't bode well.

Here are the games being developed:
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon2/lmagic/bosskey.html

Desktop Dungeon

And more!
Aaron
(07-04-2014, 09:30 AM)
Would gib for a decent arena shooter.
Pegasus Actual
(07-04-2014, 09:30 AM)
Great name, great man, will buy product day one

ok, steam sale, definitely steam sale
DOWN
(07-04-2014, 10:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Wolfgang Jr

This. Great design.

Is it? Guess I'm not into faux 3D logos with CGI texturing. And then again, my favorite logo of all time is designer Tom Ford's.
GavinGT
Banned
(07-04-2014, 10:32 AM)
I approve of this trend of developers naming themselves after game concepts.
Marvel
could never
(07-04-2014, 10:33 AM)
Name is great logo isn't.
V_Ben
Banned
(07-04-2014, 10:33 AM)
See, when I saw the logo at first all I could think of was that the company was called 'Wing Key', because it made me crack up.

But Boss Key is probably better.
Acidote
(07-04-2014, 10:36 AM)
Before someone quotes one of his tweets or anything and the thread goes near full derailing I have to say I wish him the best with his new company. I've had a lot of fun with his previous games and I ask of him nothing more than that. Everything else is pretty much noise around what's important to me.
Herbspiceguy
(07-04-2014, 10:39 AM)
Game trends are truly fascinating.
Oldschool CRPG's are being revived by industry vets with higly succesful crowdfunding, followed by classic space simulators.
Next year we'll be seeing a new Unreal Tournament and Cliffy B is returning to the genre as well.
I sometimes have to pinch my arm.
Marvel
could never
(07-04-2014, 10:42 AM)

Originally Posted by C.Dark.DN

Concept logo?:

That's much better. Love the key.
Man
(07-04-2014, 10:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Herbspiceguy

Game trends are truly fascinating.
Oldschool CRPG's are being revived by industry vets with higly succesful crowdfunding, followed by classic space simulators.
Next year we'll be seeing a new Unreal Tournament and Cliffy B is returning to the genre as well.
I sometimes have to pinch my arm.

John Carmack and Michael Abrash working together. Mass hysteria.
StifflersMum
(07-04-2014, 10:45 AM)
Haha, that first logo...

Anyway, good luck to CliffyB...
Cosmonaut X
(07-04-2014, 10:46 AM)
Cool name, dreadful logo - looks like an Autobot took a shit. There's potential in both logos, but they need a lot of work.

Will be interesting to see what comes of this new company, though.
JasonUresti
(07-04-2014, 10:47 AM)
Songs in the key of Boss?
valeo
(07-04-2014, 10:47 AM)
Love all these guys that are probably in their 1st year at graphic design school crapping on the logo.

Like someone else said, trends are cyclical. I think the logo is fine, and suits a Cliffy B company (the Michael Bay of video games) just fine
Ninja Kn1ght
(07-04-2014, 10:50 AM)
Sounds like the game might be called Bluestreak? That twitter account is linked on the Boss Key page and the header on the Boss Key twitter has "(project_bluestreak)" on it.