• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B's new company seems to be Boss Key Productions, website up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfhunkie

Sounds like it will have boss battles and not be arena shooter just based on company name. I hope this is true.
The name gives me the feeling that their main focus will be on games for an audience that's looking for a challenge. As if the experience they want to give you is the same experience you get when you enter a boss fight. That's just my interpretation, though.

That might just be hopeful thinking towards the possibility of a hardcore competitive FPS with Cliff Bleszinski's map design again, though ;)

Arsenic13

The logo reminds me a bit of Transformers.

transformers_logo+(1).jpg

Why has nobody picked up the latest news bits yet?

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/4/5871047/cliff-bleszinski-boss-key-productions

Apparently, Cliffbro joins forces with Arjan Brussee, who is known for co-developing Jazz Jackrabbit (with Cliff), co-founding Guerrilla Games and creating the Killzone series. Lately he has been with EA Visceral.

Hmm...

A document filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office on May 30 lists Boss Key's goods and services, suggesting the studio will produce online titles. The description references "downloadable multi-player interactive computer game programs; computer and video game software; downloadable computer and video game software; downloadable electronic games via the Internet and wireless devices; downloadable computer application software in the field of games; interactive computer and video game programs."

Hoping this means companion apps.

Nokterian

Brussee is on board? A fine dutch men who made a long with Cliff one of the best pc platformers. Getting pretty excited now!

quickwhips

You're stretching there. Very few companies Base their games on the name of the studio.

At Pax cliff did a keynote about the glory days of being a kid and playing games and the difficulty of beating said games and his life in general. I just can't imagine him coming back to make an arena shooter without something bigger to it. Whatever it is I will get it day one and won't be disappointed.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That name is as tacky as Respawn Entertainment.

What next? Quicksave Games? Power-Up Productions? Game Over Entertainment? Reload Games?

Those are all awesome names

Or it just didn't bother us. I'm not that easily offended.

This.
The best way is to just be the bigger "person" (or forum in this case?) and let it slide. Don't understand the whole deal about keeping grudges.

With a name like that, his first project had better be an action-adventure or Zelda-like and not another shooter. The world could always do with more Zelda clones and less headshot simulators.

It's just the company name, if it was the name of a game maybe, but I don't see what the name of his company has to do with the game itself.
I can't think of many dev's whose company names accurately depict the type of game they make.

I still hold a grudge against Cliffy.

Regarding Gears of War on PC, he said "“The person who is savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card, is a person who is savvy enough to know [BitTorrent] to know all the elements so they can pirate software,” says Bleszinski. “Therefore, high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC.”"

He has a habit of sh*ting where he eats - he's been ripping on AAA as well as E3 recently. He's certainly entitled to his opinions, but I can't say that I wish him any luck.

At Pax cliff did a keynote about the glory days of being a kid and playing games and the difficulty of beating said games and his life in general. I just can't imagine him coming back to make an arena shooter without something bigger to it. Whatever it is I will get it day one and won't be disappointed.
Yeah no doubt, I just doubt the name holds much weight in what genre their games will be.

belushy

Banned
Those are all awesome names

This.
The best way is to just be the bigger "person" (or forum in this case?) and let it slide. Don't understand the whole deal about keeping grudges.

Power-Up Games in particular would be a pretty sweet name.

kodecraft

The logo is good, and it's a fitting (and kinda cool) name for a game company. I hope he does well with it.

I suppose the people that think the logo is bad thinks it should be a "flat" monochrome logo that is all the rage these days. Heaven forbid it features a little texture. It's funny how cyclical design trends are, and people will attribute "bad" or "good" depending on where we are in the cycle.

This, as a Web developer I like the logo.

spared

That's awesome news. I knew he'd be back soon, knew it was only a matter of time. :) The guy is too talented and too good at what he does to stop developing games that early. Thank you Cliff, I will sure be buying all of your new games on day one, like I did with the previous ones! I was never disappointed and pretty sure never will be!!

Terrell

What's with developers naming their studios after shit from Zelda games? The fetishizing of Nintendo's legacy seems out of place in an industry that constantly accuses them of being stuck in the past.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
The logo is good, and it's a fitting (and kinda cool) name for a game company. I hope he does well with it.

I suppose the people that think the logo is bad thinks it should be a "flat" monochrome logo that is all the rage these days. Heaven forbid it features a little texture. It's funny how cyclical design trends are, and people will attribute "bad" or "good" depending on where we are in the cycle.

Heaven forbid someone just thinks it looks like shit.

It's just the company name, if it was the name of a game maybe, but I don't see what the name of his company has to do with the game itself.
I can't think of many dev's whose company names accurately depict the type of game they make.

Well, I've been playing a lot of State of Decay's Lifeline expansion DLC, which is made by Undead Labs, a developer named for their game's subject matter. Besides, I was more or less voicing my hope that he doesn't return to shooters and goes and does something else.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Third person F2P shooter starring Jazz Jackrabbit and the gang. Rabbits vs Turtles.

But this ain't your grandfather's Jazz! Jazz Jackrabbit's back and he's meaner than ever!

Well, I've been playing a lot of State of Decay's Lifeline expansion DLC, which is made by Undead Labs, a developer named for their game's subject matter. Besides, I was more or less voicing my hope that he doesn't return to shooters and goes and does something else.
I didn't say none existed, I just said I can't think of many. I quoted you but a few people had similair posts and I just don't think it's worth getting your hopes up over a company name. I wish you were right, but I don't see him making anything other than a shooter.

Great sounding name for a games company. Makes me think old school stuff. Strangely enough the first keys that sprung to mind were those in ghouls n ghosts/ghosts n goblinsm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom