• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B's new company seems to be Boss Key Productions, website up

Status
Not open for further replies.

malfcn

ucxYU2W.png

Took me a second to get the name, but I think it sounds great. I also think the lough looks nice, especially with these treatments.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
lol

I don't really like names like this it just seems lazy. Logo is also ugly but I won't care about either of those if this shooter turns out to be cool. Good luck Cliffy!

CHC

I like the logo, it's nostalgic in a way because it's just so ugly but somehow exciting. The studio name also gives me a big gamer-asshole vibe which is kind of perfect for who is running it. Definitely excited to see what they are cooking up!

Zechs

While I enjoy his games and the logo is fine, please don't give this guy any of your money if he goes the kickstarter route. If he has enough money to gift his spouse a hand me down Lamborghini, and buy himself a new one constantly, he should be able to fund it himself. And you know he's going to be using UE4 and since he is on good terms with Epic, I doubt he will responsible for any fees or engine costs. Just my 2 cents. Still excited to at least see the project.

With a name like that, his first project had better be an action-adventure or Zelda-like and not another shooter. The world could always do with more Zelda clones and less headshot simulators.

Valkrai

Pretty excited to see what Cliff is doing next post-GoW and UT, looking forward to it.

Slightly offtopic: What's with GAF hating him, can someone fill me in?

BriGuy

Pretty excited to see what Cliff is doing next post-GoW and UT, looking forward to it.

He's kind of a pretentious tool. He was also championing the type of incredibly restrictive DRM for used games that Microsoft backed away from with the Xbone.

When will someone make a new videogame studio that isn't a reference or pun based on a videogame

edit: the logo reminds me of the old 3DRealms logo

soultron

Banned
I'm interested in hearing what he's up to, but that logo (mainly the blue and gray treatment with the text) looks like it's ripped from YouTube intro motion graphic. Not a fan. Cool name though.

ArjanN

Boss Keys in the latter sense were like only existent when I was really young, so I suspect there are a lot of people who have no clue what they are.

I think Defcon was the last game with the latter. Now, the boss is playing Candy Crush on his phone, so I doubt he'd care. Probably more worried about your Windows 97' laptop being a giant security leak.

Pretty much all the Japanese indie PC games still immediately kick you back to desktop when you press Escape. Japanese office workers still need to get through the long days.

I remember a couple of Japanese games that came to Steam patching that recently based on feedback, like Crimzon Clover World Ignition. It's pretty annoying when as a western PC gamer you're used to that being the default pause key and bam, you just lost your progress. :p

Angelcurio

Besides insulting the Gaf community metioning that the members are mostly "cunts" , he has backed every single anti consumer trend the industry has come up with, acting as the free PR of those practices, including the infamous Xbox One online DRM.

The logo is cheesy in a late 90s / early 2000s way.
I kind of like it.
Seems like it was loosely inspired by the old UT logo...

8Y4zSY0.jpg

also...

nglWNB5.jpg

With a name like that, his first project had better be an action-adventure or Zelda-like and not another shooter. The world could always do with more Zelda clones and less headshot simulators.

I'm surprised someone with a Wasteland avatar who's presumably into PC stuff doesn't know boss key isn't only related to Zelda :p Why would Cliffy be suited for a Zelda-like?

Cool name, absolutely terrible logo. Hideous typography and photoshop effects that belong to the 90s. Happy to see Cliffy B back in business however!

Thank you for saying this - I was about to do the same, and then was like "am I the only one?"

Hope his game is good, and he learns to loose the 'tude

EDIT: I work for a major Ad Agency in the US, and the logo design/typeface made me cringe

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
so it wount be a arena shooter then, judging by the name?

Thank you for saying this - I was about to do the same, and then was like "am I the only one?"

Hope his game is good, and he learns to loose the 'tude

EDIT: I work for a major Ad Agency in the US, and the logo design/typeface made me cringe

the logo is brilliant.

seriously. its one of the best logos of a game company ever.

GeoGonzo

Edit: It is also designed specifically for dark backgrounds. If you look at the logo on a light background it doesn't work because the drop shadow they use muddles the shape of the typography and surrounding graphic elements.

Yup, this. I was actually using dark theme on my phone when I saw it the first time and couldn't understand why some people didn't like it. Then I reached my desktop and went "wait, this looks worse now".

Same logo with a black background for reference:

I'm surprised someone with a Wasteland avatar who's presumably into PC stuff doesn't know boss key isn't only related to Zelda :p Why would Cliffy be suited for a Zelda-like?

Never had to use it, but I always knew it as the boss button. Now, that makes me think his will be more bite-sized games, or shorter loop-type games.

That name is as tacky as Respawn Entertainment.

What next? Quicksave Games? Power-Up Productions? Game Over Entertainment? Reload Games?

shuri

Banned
Arena Shooters were considered dudebros games for mainstream 'dumb' users while the original Rainbow 6 was considered to be a game for hardcore, smart players back in the days.

Well, I guess BossKey is a better name than CuntKey. I guess the second name would have made for some interesting logo designs.

I think the name is nice, I get the meaning, and considering Cliffy is the head of the studio, I think having the word "Boss" in the name is quite fitting.

Kind of figured he would be starting his own studio. I mean, he just got paid from that Oculus/Facebook deal. Must have been pretty substantial to be able to fund a studio.

Pfhunkie

Arena Shooters were considered dudebros games for mainstream 'dumb' users while the original Rainbow 6 was considered to be a game for hardcore, smart players back in the days.
As far as I remember, there was a divide between FPS players who were into strategy FPS (Counter-Strike, Rainbow Six, etc) and arena FPS (Quake, Unreal Tournament, etc). It was a fairly even divide with tournaments for both abound. Both had their own arguments for why each had more skill and, depending on which side of the tracks you were on, one of them was considered to be the "no skill" variant.

I remember because I liked both and was judged by both sets of friends for playing the other. There was no majority that believed one was hardcore while the other was for 'dumb' users.

GeoGonzo

As far as I remember, there was a divide between FPS players who were into strategy FPS (Counter-Strike, Rainbow Six, etc) and arena FPS (Quake, Unreal Tournament, etc). It was a fairly even divide with tournaments for both abound. Both had their own arguments for why each had more skill and, depending on which side of the tracks you were on, one of them was considered to be the "no skill" variant.

I remember because I liked both and was judged by both sets of friends for playing the other. There was no majority that believed one was hardcore while the other was for 'dumb' users.

That's how I remember it too. Also, at least here, they were both rather geeky and none of them was dudebro or mainstream.

Highly skilled, competitive arena shooter players were the epitome of gaming geekdom, quite the opposite of 'dumb' dudebros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom