• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B's new company seems to be Boss Key Productions, website up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the game might be called Bluestreak? That twitter account is linked on the Boss Key page and the header on the Boss Key twitter has "(project_bluestreak)" on it.

Finally the licensed game we've been waiting for!

bluestreak_1.jpg

I felt bad for making fun of his logo(s) so I mocked up a couple new versions quick and dirty. Cliffy if you see this thread, feel free to use them however you want (free of charge, of course).

I'm sure there are more talented Gaffers than I that would have gladly helped out had he asked instead of using that crowdpool site.

Renpatsu

I felt bad for making fun of his logo(s) so I mocked up a couple new versions quick and dirty. Cliffy if you see this thread, feel free to use them however you want (free of charge, of course).
Hmn, as a designer myself it's all well and good to just take a name and run with it, but unless you know the tone they're attempting to convey with the design all you're doing is projecting your own design biases onto the client.

Hmn, as a designer myself it's all well and good to just take a name and run with it, but unless you know the tone they're attempting to convey with the design all you're doing is projecting your own design biases onto the client.

True enough, but the only tone I'm getting from the official logo is... nondescript? I'm no professional either, but I think logos should also have fewer colors so that they look good on both white and black backgrounds (such as business cards, letterhead, etc).

True enough, but the only tone I'm getting from the official logo is... nondescript? I'm no professional either, but I think logos should also have fewer colors so that they look good on both white and black backgrounds (such as business cards, letterhead, etc).

The tone seems to fit the 90s arena shooter vibe they're going for i.e. lots of metal, steel.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
As someone who has a Zelda boss key as their key chain, I think that name is god damn brilliant.

I'm really interested to see what he works on next. Sounds like he wasn't feeling the shooter thing anymore.

Renpatsu

Not saying this is absolutely the case, but my money is on this logo primarily being used for web and digital media because there aren't really any limitations when it comes to the range of colours or transparencies that you can utilise.

You'll notice that if you remove the drop shadow you're left with a logo with sharp angular shapes that will work well with varying scales (maybe not the tiny 'productions part') and the outline itself is unique enough to tell apart from other logos if the legibility isn't good.

Removing the texture and gradient and you've got your flat colour version for print.

Edit: It is also designed specifically for dark backgrounds. If you look at the logo on a light background it doesn't work because the drop shadow they use muddles the shape of the typography and surrounding graphic elements.
Edit 2:
ucxYU2W.png

You'll notice once you remove the drop shadow and the tiny productions type you're left with a fairly striking logo in black or white that works even at a smaller resolutions.

You could easily produce a version of the logo in the OP in black-on-white or vice versa, and the metallic treatment (much as it's not to my personal taste) isn't really a problem, but things like that "Productions" (and the spaces between letters and elements of the "key") becoming vanishingly small when you shrink this down for, say, a letterhead or packaging, or the clunkingly obvious keyhole-O are.

There's a pretty nice resurgence in arena shooters coming up. Unreal Tournament, Project Nex, Cliffy game, and a bunch of obscure indie ones in development as well.

Plus a little thing called Halo Master Chief Collection, arena with dedis! I hope CliffyB's project has dedis if it's FPS arena stuff.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You could easily produce a version of the logo in the OP in black-on-white or vice versa, and the metallic treatment (much as it's not to my personal taste) isn't really a problem, but things like that "Productions" (and the spaces between letters and elements of the "key") becoming vanishingly small when you shrink this down for, say, a letterhead or packaging, or the clunkingly obvious keyhole-O are.

Letterhead logo could just as easily simply be this:

PN8aeifc.jpeg

Edit: It is also designed specifically for dark backgrounds. If you look at the logo on a light background it doesn't work because the drop shadow they use muddles the shape of the typography and surrounding graphic elements.
Edit 2:
ucxYU2W.png

You'll notice once you remove the drop shadow and the tiny productions type you're left with a fairly striking logo in black or white that works even at a smaller resolutions.

Looks way better simplified like that. I still think the "o" on top makes it look weird, and would work better if the "o" from "boss" was used to connect to the "k" instead.

The logo and name give me a real Doom-vibe. It hearkens back to the days of finding the green key to open the green door. I think that's the vibe he's going for.

Is this a key for the Boss room, or a key to switch away from a game when your boss approaches your office/cubicle?

The keyhole in the logo suggests it's the former. (Man, I wonder how many youngins ate familiar with the latter)

Precisely the first thought that crossed my mind.

Letterhead logo could just as easily simply be this:

PN8aeifc.jpeg

Point. Prefer that tweak, as it does away with the type in the original design which I'm... not a fan of.

This is also a viable option. Once the shape comes to define the logo the typography becomes ancillary for the purposes of identification. Similar to how the Starbucks logo has evolved.

Hm. I think you'd need something a bit stronger for it to work without any type for now. I don't think the key design here is anywhere near as striking an icon as it would need to be for it to work alone without the benefit of years of history and exposure.

I'm sure there are more talented Gaffers than I that would have gladly helped out had he asked instead of using that crowdpool site.

I like both of those better than the one in the OP.

Varth

So I guess we're finally going to see that perfect horror game he generously taught others how to create from the comfort of his retirement.

Skele7on

Banned
are we forgetting that he called us all cunts?

It's a nasty logo, but liked the name, it's just a shame such an asshole is behind it.

I am actually interested to see if he can actually make anything decent anymore.

Excuse me whilst I roll around in salt.

Good Luck though Cliff I think you're going to need it.

The BossKey website holds Cliffy's Twitter handle and it also gives the hint that his upcoming game is codenamed "Bluestreak".

-PXG-

Not saying this is absolutely the case, but my money is on this logo primarily being used for web and digital media because there aren't really any limitations when it comes to the range of colours or transparencies that you can utilise.

You'll notice that if you remove the drop shadow you're left with a logo with sharp angular shapes that will work well with varying scales (maybe not the tiny 'productions part') and the outline itself is unique enough to tell apart from other logos if the legibility isn't good.

Removing the texture and gradient and you've got your flat colour version for print.

Edit 2:
ucxYU2W.png

Hey look, someone knows what they're talking about.

Yes, the logo is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom