• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot's procedurally generated No Man's Sky daily previews/reveals! 7/7 to 7/10

They all seem genuinely frightened by what they are trying to create and even more frightened by the media hype and pressure that popped up after their first reveal.

I'm glad they are an indie studio and self-publisher too - The game will be done when it's done, not when someone else tells them it's done.

So we can actually SEE others? Yessss! (well hopefully that's what "meeting others means)

I've been seeing a lot of contradicting info on this.

Destiny and No Man's Sky have broken my hype scale so much already. Man this is a good time to be alive!

I'd be so mad if I died before I got to play these games -_-

Grief.exe

It's strange how they are keeping the platforms so quiet.

We know PS4 will have console-exclusive release, which generally means there is a PC version as well. Hello Games is keeping completely quiet though.

Great to see a chunk of gameplay this week.

It's strange how they are keeping the platforms so quiet.

We know PS4 will have console-exclusive release, which generally means there is a PC version as well. Hello Games is keeping completely quiet though.

Great to see a chunk of gameplay this week.

They said it wont on on PC at launch.

Amir0x

Banned
That's news to me. Source?

PC Release of No Man's Sky not definite
Link x2

Currently only confirmed for a PS4 release, the possibility of a PC version has seemingly become somewhat unsure in the past few days. In an interview during E3 with Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Murray said, "Basically we're doing a console debut on PS4. That's all we're saying right now. But that leaves open a PC version, which we really want to do." With that said, the question of when such a release might happen was never definitively answered, and Murray stressed that an announcement hadn't actually been made.

Shortly after the interview, RPS contacted Hello Games in an attempt to clear the air. The response he received was a little ambiguous.

No Man's Sky isn't contractually obligated to be a PS4 exclusive. However, the team is worried the IP might become bloated and that creative potential might be stifled if divided between two different versions. Because the game is still far from being complete, Hello Games isn't sure how much that would limit how well it could work on a PS4 and a PC release at the same time. Until they can anticipate being capable of doing such, they don't want to announce anything.

Of course you could bet your money it is coming to PC, but he says they're a small team and can focus on one platform at a time right now.

Porcupeth

Banned
afaik it's a ps4 timed exclusive
hello games are leaving their options open for other platforms
meaning it could not come out anywhere else, or it'll go to PC, or even PC + XB1. but the PS4 version will be released first.

my guess? PS4 first, PC later, XB1 never.

FHIZ

Man, talk about something to look forward to tomorrow. I'll admit, I've still got that bit of skepticism thinking there's got to be an asterisk somewhere, but I have a feeling by this time tomorrow I'm going to be putting the shower cap on my head and just downing that No Man's Sky koolaid.

Release date in 2015?

Come on Morpheus launch . . .

THAT shit would be a true killer-app. No Man's Sky exclusive launch on PS4, with full Morpheus integration? FUCK ME. It needs to happen.

I am perfectly fine with a 2015 release if it ensures Morpheus support.

And holy shit gameplay tomorrow GAAAHHH!!! I am VERY EXCITED!

I hope they still hold some details back. Some people might want to know everything about a game before it comes out, but not me. Especially in the case of this game I want to have to figure out stuff on my own and experience it in game first hand, in fact I'm considering going on media blackout.

Release date in 2015?

Come on Morpheus launch . . .

Well...

z206-23_1542vs_verge_v7kju.jpg

z206-23_1532vs_verge_3tkdx.jpg

Those are some shots from their office.

Jobbs

Banned
Maybe after all the hype and being named game of the show we'll finally actually find out what the game is and how it plays. XD

Well...

NSFW PICS

Those are some shots from their office.

Dude Jesus my wife is sitting next to me!

The fact that the Morpheus is sitting on the table in some of those shots, and they've discussed receiving them and playing with the idea of showing off VR demos then backing out of it gives me real hope that it's coming to Morpheus, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Just the fact that it's launching on PS4 makes me incredibly happy. I'm so glad it's not a PC exclusive game because I've never been a PC gamer.

I had always planned on getting a Morpheus whenever they planned on releasing it, but if this game is supported, having it available day one will be monumental.

I hope they still hold some details back. Some people might want to know everything about a game before it comes out, but not me. Especially in the case of this game I want to have to figure out stuff on my own and experience it in game first hand, in fact I'm considering going on media blackout.

I'll pretty much guarantee you they're not going to spill all the beans. There are billions of beans. haha I'm guessing you're speaking specifically about gameplay/goals/endgames and such, but still. Billions of beans!

Is it me or does that DS4 look different than what we have now? beta controller?

Holy shit I think you're right, I don't see a touch pad, it looks like a screen?

I am very excited for this game but it does not matter how awesome it is, no PC version = No Buy.

I do not have a PS4, I have no interest in a PS4, I don't plan to buy one at any point in the near (or even distant) future.

If they want any money from me they are going to have to put out a PC version.

If it never comes to PC, well, I'll be disappointed but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Winter John

Gold Member
Enjoyed the video they posted earlier, and looking forward to seeing some gameplay. I'm not really a fan of sci-fi but this seems like it might be pretty special

MavFan619

Banned
Maybe after all the hype and being named game of the show we'll finally actually find out what the game is and how it plays. XD
Tomorrow's video will report that so yeah I'm pretty sure we will have a better idea. Now I just need time to speed up.

I am very excited for this game but it does not matter how awesome it is, no PC version = No Buy.

I do not have a PS4, I have no interest in a PS4, I don't plan to buy one at any point in the near (or even distant) future.

If it never comes to PC, well, I'll be disappointed but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Good thing the game's on PS4 though - since: I do not have a gaming PC, I have no interest in a gaming PC, I don't plan to buy one at any point in the near (or even distant) future.

pretty sure it's coming to PC and other platforms, why wouldn't they say it's PS4 exclusive if it is? for now they're getting paid to not talk about the other versions.

biteren

Yes, it's the leaked controller that we saw before the actual reveal

ps4-controlleraasx2.jpg

Oh man that D-pad looks rough.

But No Mans Sky with Project Morphius would be incredible, amazing visuals with the huge world. theres gonna be so much to see!

If ofcorse, it has Project Morphius support

The scaling sounds great and unique but it is kinda hard to call one procedurally generated world larger than another when in theory they are both infinitely generated.

Kinthalis

Banned
Good thing the game's on PS4 though - since: I do not have a gaming PC, I have no interest in a gaming PC, I don't plan to buy one at any point in the near (or even distant) future.

No everyone can afford the best gaming platform :p

But no worries, it WILL come to PC, and likely Xbone at some point.

What's up with spore and why are so many comparisons of this nature being made?

Real question. I'm curious and know very little about spore =p

Spore was meant to simulate ecosystems and populate them with all sorts of cool things and be a game that was like CIv-Sims-action and then a sandbox space game at the end as your organism evolved into a space age. They released an initial impressive tech demo that promised a lot of things much like this game has done.

It had a procedural engine that would animate any creature you made and would take player creations and have them populate your game world. Instead. Will Wright trashed the project when they found it to be too hard to make workable and he told MTV in an interview they did it for broad appeal. One of the Execs at Maxis was caught mentioning she didn't like the serious tone of the game and wanted a cutesy hearts and bright colors game that would appeal to the audience of the sims. They watered down the game and turned it into a mix of random ipad level games stitched together into a monstrosity of a PC game.

"I'd say that's quite accurate," Wright told me. "We were very focused, if anything, on making a game for more casual players. "Spore" has more depth than, let's say, "The Sims" did. But we looked at the Metacritic scores for "Sims 2", which was around 90, and something like "Half-Life", which was 97, and we decided -- quite a while back -- that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of "Sims 2" than the Metacritic and sales of "Half-Life."

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/07/will-wright-reacts-to-crtical-spore-reviews/

Lingitiz

If they're really not doing a PC version at launch, I can't imagine this coming out until at least 2016. Early access would probably be the typical route for them, but I guess not.

Kinthalis

Banned
Spore was meant to simulate ecosystems and populate them with all sorts of cool things and be a game that was like CIv-Sims-action and then a sandbox space game at the end as your organism evolved into a space age. They released an initial impressive tech demo that promised a lot of things much like this game has done.

It had a procedural engine that would animate any creature you made and would take player creations and have them populate your game world. Instead. Will Wright trashed the project when they found it to be too hard to make workable and he told MTV in an interview they did it for broad appeal. One of the Execs at Maxis was caught mentioning she didn't like the serious tone of the game and wanted a cutesy hearts and bright colors game that would appeal to the audience of the sims. They watered down the game and turned it into a mix of random ipad level games stitched together into a monstrosity of a PC game.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/07/will-wright-reacts-to-crtical-spore-reviews/

Wow, what a disgusting quote.

The actual description of the game sounds spot on though. I think I remember reading that the debate at maxis devolved into two team and we all know which one won. I'm fairly sure Will Wright was described as being pretty handsoff by this point.

But at least it's something that shows that people shouldn't be comparing Spore with NMS. What they're trying to do is completely different. One group was trying to make as much money as they possibly could by catering to casuals while the other are basically trying to make their dream game.

Top Bottom