• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot's procedurally generated No Man's Sky daily previews/reveals! 7/7 to 7/10

Lefein

Banned
Spore was meant to simulate ecosystems and populate them with all sorts of cool things and be a game that was like CIv-Sims-action and then a sandbox space game at the end as your organism evolved into a space age. They released an initial impressive tech demo that promised a lot of things much like this game has done.

It had a procedural engine that would animate any creature you made and would take player creations and have them populate your game world. Instead. Will Wright trashed the project when they found it to be too hard to make workable and he told MTV in an interview they did it for broad appeal. One of the Execs at Maxis was caught mentioning she didn't like the serious tone of the game and wanted a cutesy hearts and bright colors game that would appeal to the audience of the sims. They watered down the game and turned it into a mix of random ipad level games stitched together into a monstrosity of a PC game.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/07/will-wright-reacts-to-crtical-spore-reviews/

I don't see creative differences and publisher feedback undermining the core mechanics of No Man's Sky. Their creative direction looks pretty solid with this. It's also self-published.

shem935

Banned
The last video was the most helpful in the series. It helped me see how this could actually be possible. I wish them luck, this could be one of the major milestones in gaming.

then again i don't want the animals on other planets to look like animals from earth. that is as ridiculous as those aliens in movies that look like humanoids. some animals on earth look more alien than the aliens in movies.

This is my worry, I hope we see giant space whales, tripod-legged creatures, land-based octopoids, giant (enemy) crabs, walking plants, orgone jellyfish in the atmosphere and obviously more alien stuff than that.

I'm a little concerned all we will see variations of cats, sauropods, rodents and monkey-things. With infinite space, we should get to see some crazy things; maybe even a Noby Noby Boy stretching between the stars, or stars made of stationary items.

Trouble

Banned
wouldn't that just mean that spot on the universe won't be with planets that you've discovered but just with other players'?

Well the messy situation is if you reconnect to the internet. It would be kinda lame to lose discoveries because you weren't online when you found them.

a little disappointed that we won't be able make any influence on the different planets. I wish there was a way to prove a planet has been visited/explored, a little more player agency, a way to leave your mark, or to change things. Build a monument or plant a flag, or something. Seems like if you visit a planet, nobody else will know you've been there except maybe a written blurb about said planet.

rainz

That, was some of the best most professional games coverage I have ever seen. A level of polish i have been wanting to see for years. Well done to GS crew indeed.

a little disappointed that we won't be able make any influence on the different planets. I wish there was a way to prove a planet has been visited/explored, a little more player agency, a way to leave your mark, or to change things. Build a monument or plant a flag, or something. Seems like if you visit a planet, nobody else will know you've been there except maybe a written blurb about said planet.

I want to etch my name on a small moon so it's visible from orbit.

Top Bottom