• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot's procedurally generated No Man's Sky daily previews/reveals! 7/7 to 7/10

Kouichi

Damn, Destiny coverage on IGN and No Man's Sky coverage on Gamespot.

I can't handle all this awesome space goodness.

majik13

Gamespot's procedurally generated No Man's Sky daily previews/reveals! 7/7 to 7/10

so the GS preview/article is prodecurally generated??! I am impressed.

I'll show myself out

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Oh my God @ those article titles. They're hyping this game to the cosmo's.

Has there really been anything this creative in a while? Believe and want this to be amazing. I see some asking where's the fun? Where's this?

If you watched the last video posted on the Playstation channel you get more and more ideas on what they want to do and why it's not pivotal for them to show you everything and certainly they have time to show more.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Havent seen people latch on to a game story like this in years. I guess you combine a really impressive original premise, with the super indie vibe, and an infectiously likeable lead programmer then you get this.

Havent seen people latch on to a game story like this in years. I guess you combine a really impressive original premise, with the super indie vibe, and an infectiously likeable lead programmer then you get this.

Not to mention the fact they were flooded and that Sean has admitted in this interview that the flood did in fact set them back. It's a great story.

LiquidMetal14

Not to mention the fact they were flooded and that Sean has admitted in this interview that the flood did in fact set them back. It's a great story.

It is. I just watched that 13m video. I'm already hooked but I'm rooting for these guys hard core hearing their story and ambition.

Axass

Has there really been anything this creative in a while? Believe and want this to be amazing. I see some asking where's the fun? Where's this?

If you watched the last video posted on the Playstation channel you get more and more ideas on what they want to do and why it's not pivotal for them to show you everything and certainly they have time to show more.

Isn't procedurally generated stuff actually almost the opposite of creativity? The algorithms do most of the "creative" work by rearraging assets and stuff, no?

There's been plenty of procedurally generated games in the recent past: Minecraft, Proteus, Spore, the whole rougelike genre, etc.

Even outside of that field there's been plenty of equally creative stuff in the recent past, like the whole indie scene, with Braid, Fez, World of Goo, Papers Please, The Stanley Parable, Super Time Force, etc. Also some not really indie gems such as Pushmo/Crashmo, Portal, Lost in Shadow, Journey, The Unfinished Swan, Sound Shapes, etc.

Point is: I don't want to shit on No Man's Sky, I was stunned by the first reveal, it still looks very exciting (even though like many others I'm worried by the lack of gameplay diversity in what they've shown so far) it's just that now it's been hyped too much, it has become some sort of paragon of anti-AAA gaming. From the amount of hype it's getting it's basically the indie answer to Titanfall.

viveks86

The scaling sounds great and unique but it is kinda hard to call one procedurally generated world larger than another when in theory they are both infinitely generated.

But but but my infinity is bigger than your infinity

Isn't procedurally generated stuff actually almost the opposite of creativity? The algorithms do most of the "creative" work by rearraging assets and stuff, no?

So it is not the opposite of creativity, then?

Agree with the rest of your post. But you can't downplay the creativity that this game exudes by simply quoting other brilliant games. There is heck of a lot of creative work that needs to go into making a procedurally generated world that can strike a sense of awe the way NMS did in its reveals. The community gets hyped over things that commonly resonate with everyone's tastes. We won't know if the game will live up to it or not until we see more. Until then, there is no need to compare with other unrelated games.

Danny's been hyping up this feature on Giant Bomb over the past month. Nice to finally see it come to fruition, looks like it's well worth the wait.

Well...
z206-23_1542vs_verge_v7kju.jpg
Man, No Man's Sky with Project Morpheus could honestly be revolutionary.

Great video. I cannot wait to see the next ones. This has to be the most ambitious title being developed right now and it's always hard to believe just how small the team actually is. Blows my mind that this indie game won E3 hands down.

Trouble

Banned

I would argue it's a different kind of creativity than hand-crafted worlds, but no less valid.

BigDug13

I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into another Spore.

People keep saying this but the games don't seem similar at all except the fact that they're procedurally generated. One is a life creation simulator where you play God, the other is you as a starfighter pilot able to fly around, shoot shit, and explore life that already exists which you are not crafting yourself.

I don't really see the comparison at all.

LiquidMetal14

There's been plenty of procedurally generated games in the recent past: Minecraft, Proteus, Spore, the whole rougelike genre, etc.

Even outside of that field there's been plenty of equally creative stuff in the recent past, like the whole indie scene, with Braid, Fez, World of Goo, Papers Please, The Stanley Parable, Super Time Force, etc. Also some not really indie gems such as Pushmo/Crashmo, Portal, Lost in Shadow, Journey, The Unfinished Swan, Sound Shapes, etc.

Point is: I don't want to shit on No Man's Sky, I was stunned by the first reveal, it still looks very exciting (even though like many others I'm worried by the lack of gameplay diversity in what they've shown so far) it's just that now it's been hyped too much, it has become some sort of paragon of anti-AAA gaming. From the amount of hype it's getting it's basically the indie answer to Titanfall.

TitanFall did little to entice me like this and TF is pretty shallow compared to what's been discussed in this game. It's embarrassing to even compare this to TF.

legacyzero

Banned
Final got to watch the video. Every time I watch something new for this game, it brings tears to my eyes. I've not been this excited for a game in over 5 years.

Can't wait for tomorrow...

Also, I'm not much of a Gamespot fan after Gerstmann-gate, but I'm REALLY beginning to like Danny O'Dwyer.

Whether a team creates a procedural system that can make a whole universe of vibrant and exciting planets to explore, or meticulously crafts one planet by placing every tree and rock by hand, both require artistry for the game to look, feel and work right for the mechanics that are built around it. Also I saw some pretty crazy and impressive environments in Minecraft, as simple as the graphics in that game are.

Anyway don't worry about the hype. It's ok to be excited about games, it's why we're all here.

Does designing a system that can craft worlds on its own not qualify as creative?

Also the sheer fact they went with highly colorful art style instead of the typical realism space games usually shoot for shows creativity to me. Couple that with the fact that it's designed primarily around exploration which isn't a major focus in a lot of games and No Man's Sky starts to look very unique to me.

LiquidMetal14

Does designing a system that can craft worlds on its own not qualify as creative?

Also the sheer fact they went with highly colorful art style instead of the typical realism space games usually shoot for shows creativity to me. Couple that with the fact that it's designed primarily around exploration which isn't a major focus in a lot of games and No Man's Sky starts to look very unique to me.

Part of what I think as well.

What's so hard to understand about it? There are barely any games like this that let you explore the vast reaches of the universe. It's not like we're saturated with games like this. On top of it, who knows what the price will be but for what there is now, it's absolutely astounding considering it's coming from a team of 10.

Jimrpg

Hmm, I don't know why they are showing so much of the game when the game is still a year out.

I don't think they should have shown the game last year, it was just so early.

Also I'm beginning to think with so much hype, this 'indie' game will be full price. $59.99. What do you all think?

Axass

Anyway don't worry about the hype. It's ok to be excited about games, it's why we're all here.

I'm not talking of the hype on the boards, that's quite understandable. I meant the artificially built hype from the press. Considering it's an indie, the game's been hugely and thoroughly covered from media outlets. That kind of hype can actually be damaging to the game itself, they may end up overselling it, which would be a shame, because it would meet with severe backlash at launch or be kind of a letdown anyway, given the expectations. Which brings me to:

TitanFall did little to entice me like this and TF is pretty shallow compared to what's been discussed in this game. It's embarrassing to even compare this to TF.

No it's not embarassing at all, quite spot on if you ask me. I used Titanfall as an example of mass produced hype from the media: this game is becoming this year's Titanfall: this is the most talked about game coming out of E3, with articles stating it has "won" E3, features and interviews with the creators, etc. All based around a bunch of minutes of pre-recorded gameplay, just like last year's Titanfall IIRC.

So in those regards No Man's Sky is the indie's Titanfall. I fear it may not meet the crazy expectations.

Agree with the rest of your post. But you can't downplay the creativity that this game exudes by simply quoting other brilliant games. There is heck of a lot of creative work that needs to go into making a procedurally generated world that can strike a sense of awe the way NMS did in its reveals. The community gets hyped over things that commonly resonate with everyone's tastes. We won't know if the game will live up to it or not until we see more. Until then, there is no need to compare with other unrelated games.
The guy said "Has there really been anything this creative in a while?", I used those games to show there have been plenty of creative games in the recent past, I'm not comparing NMS to anything, just stating that seeing it as the game that is singlehandely saving gaming is going a lil' too far. The idea is good, the art style is great, the vibes are excellent, but it's not some unique gem you can't find anywhere else on the planet, there have been other space simulators, other procedurally generated games, other equally creative games. I was pointing out that the hype surrounding this is kind of disproportioned.

I would argue it's a different kind of creativity than hand-crafted worlds, but no less valid.

That's something worth debating, and my original statement was more of an extreme to show what I meant.

I agree it involves some sort of creativity, especially in the art department, because the assets the system uses aren't gonna paint and animate themselves. However I can't help but think that the creativity involved is less than in other games, because all developers have to create assets anyway, but they also have to create interesting worlds with those afterwards, arranging the pieces in a meaningful way; in this case it's the system that takes care of that.

About creating the system itself, well, I'm not sure if I'd put it under creativity, surely not "artistic" creativity, I see it more like an impressive tech achievement than anything else. If the system works well it shows the programmers are very good at what they do, they know how to bend those lines of code to do their will, so I see it more like a job well done, than something creative in itself.

People keep saying this but the games don't seem similar at all except the fact that they're procedurally generated. One is a life creation simulator where you play God, the other is you as a starfighter pilot able to fly around, shoot shit, and explore life that already exists which you are not crafting yourself.

I don't really see the comparison at all.

People aren't comparing the gameplay, but the huge amount of promises and ambition evident in the Spore previews that was completely undone in the launch version. Hopefully won't be the case with No Man's Sky, happy to remain optimistic for now.

Hmm, I don't know why they are showing so much of the game when the game is still a year out.

I don't think they should have shown the game last year, it was just so early.

Also I'm beginning to think with so much hype, this 'indie' game will be full price. $59.99. What do you all think?

The game sounds exciting, I hope that it turns out well, and if it's well received and seems to live up to my expectations, then I would gladly pay $60 for it.

the thought of playing this with morpheus... i can't imagine how cool that would be.

this first day vid was good. i like danny, sean seems like a good dude and this game looks unreal.

Oh man, this is exactly what I needed.

Not only does it look like we'll be getting more gameplay and details, looks like we will see some of the procedural generation tools they are using, which is something I've really been wanting to see ever since I read the couple of articles that talked about them showing that stuff off. Love seeing the way things actually work.

Any chance these reveal videos (if they do end up being reveal videos) will end up on Youtube? I'm finding the GS media player to be a stuttering piece of crap even at lowest picture quality.

Nibel

Well done video feature.

Man, the pressure on these guys must be huge as hell. Being praised like this is probably a great motvation booster, but also might lead to a lot of headaches and stuff. Still glad that they get so much support and hope that NMS will be the game they wanted to make.

Seanspeed

Banned

That's fair. But TitanFall actually turned out good too, don't forget.

Tobor

I'm not talking of the hype on the boards, that's quite understandable. I meant the artificially built hype from the press. Considering it's an indie, the game's been hugely and thoroughly covered from media outlets. That kind of hype can actually be damaging to the game itself, they may end up overselling it, which would be a shame, because it would meet with severe backlash at launch or be kind of a letdown anyway, given the expectations. Which brings me to:

No it's not embarassing at all, quite spot on if you ask me. I used Titanfall as an example of mass produced hype from the media: this game is becoming this year's Titanfall: this is the most talked about game coming out of E3, with articles stating it has "won" E3, features and interviews with the creators, etc. All based around a bunch of minutes of pre-recorded gameplay, just like last year's Titanfall IIRC.

So in those regards No Man's Sky is the indie's Titanfall. I fear it may not meet the crazy expectations.

The guy said "Has there really been anything this creative in a while?", I used those games to show there have been plenty of creative games in the recent past, I'm not comparing NMS to anything, just stating that seeing it as the game that is singlehandely saving gaming is going a lil' too far. The idea is good, the art style is great, the vibes are excellent, but it's not some unique gem you can't find anywhere else on the planet, there have been other space simulators, other procedurally generated games, other equally creative games. I was pointing out that the hype surrounding this is kind of disproportioned.

That's something worth debating, and my original statement was more of an extreme to show what I meant.

I agree it involves some sort of creativity, especially in the art department, because the assets the system uses aren't gonna paint and animate themselves. However I can't help but think that the creativity involved is less than in other games, because all developers have to create assets anyway, but they also have to create interesting worlds with those afterwards, arranging the pieces in a meaningful way; in this case it's the system that takes care of that.

About creating the system itself, well, I'm not sure if I'd put it under creativity, surely not "artistic" creativity, I see it more like an impressive tech achievement than anything else. If the system works well it shows the programmers are very good at what they do, they know how to bend those lines of code to do their will, so I see it more like a job well done, than something creative in itself.

I disagree completely. The hype for No Mans Sky is genuine and a direct result of the videos shown at VGX and E3. The media isn't generating hype for this game, it's responding to our desire for more information on this game. We want more coverage, and they are delivering.

It's a complete opposite scenario from Titanfall.

manual4

Banned
I disagree completely. The hype for No Mans Sky is genuine and a direct result of the videos shown at VGX and E3. The media isn't generating hype for this game, it's responding to our desire for more information on this game. We want more coverage, and they are delivering.

It's a complete opposite scenario from Titanfall.

and it wasn't for titanfall?

BigDug13

People aren't comparing the gameplay, but the huge amount of promises and ambition evident in the Spore previews that was completely undone in the launch version. Hopefully won't be the case with No Man's Sky, happy to remain optimistic for now.

Well full priced AAA game done by the Sim-master developer at the time vs 4 dudes making a $15 indie game.

If the expectations are the same and the possibility for disappointment are the same, I think people are lavishing undue expectations on this title. The disappointment over Spore makes a bit more sense due to the pedigree of the man and the studio making the promises as well as the price of the game. These guys are scared shitless (about the hype that they've received) and aren't trumpeting Molyneux-level hyperbole at us trying to drum up sales as PR.

The game is going to be an interesting experience for your $15. Anyone expecting $60 AAA "Sim City 2000" level of polish, I'm really not expecting to get that as our end result.

Tobor

and it wasn't for titanfall?

Not in my opinion, no.

Titanfall was a Microsoft exclusive shooter made by Respawn. It was assumed to be the next big thing and pushed as such. The media had to cover that game on pedigree alone.

NMS would not be covered this way had the audiences not responded to the videos.

Bigbillybeef

Neo Member
Game looks incredible.

Possibly more surprising is how I've suddenly decided I might actually start reading/viewing Gamespot again.

Have barely visited that site since Gerstmanngate. Excellent editorial even it's if just a little bit up it's own arse. I enjoyed that.

And was it just me or did they mix in some 60fps gameplay clips in there?

Programming is absolutly creative work. There is no "Making No Man's Sky for Dummies" textbook that these devs are following. Creating content procedurally is just A LOT HARDER than doing it by hand which is why the results usually aren't anywhere near as good.

Kinthalis

Banned
Programming is absolutly creative work. There is no "Making No Man's Sky for Dummies" textbook that these devs are following. Creating content procedurally is just A LOT HARDER than doing it by hand which is why the results usually aren't anywhere near as good.

Yeah I don't think you can deny the creativeness sof the entire endevour, IMHO.

Daverid

Thanks for the thread. Kinda acted like a PSA to me as I almost never visit sites like IGN or Gamespot.

I'm very skeptical about No Man's Sky. It's got a great visual style and the concept is pretty awesome, however "procedural generated" tends to more likely work out badly then good. I'm not a fan of Minecraft at all, it never clicked with me.

However Space Battles, Stampedes and Giant Snakes has me a little more interested in this. I hope it focuses less on the Minecraft-style "Craft Anything" and more on those cool, interesting, unique events (Like the Stampede and Snakes) and just uses the procedural generation to place/trigger them on different planets.

Good to be able to hear more info about it, and also so soon after E3! For an Indie company they're doing a decent job at keeping the hype train rolling.

kyser73

Axass said:

In one of the interviews, either Sean Murray or the art guy say that at the heart of NMS is a 'black box of math'.

Mathematics of this kind is easily as creative and expressive as an art form - like good engineering and craftsmanship and the difference between a painting that looks OK and one that takes your breath away, for those that can understand it (and I'm not one of them) it can describe whole universes in a single line. Indeed, in this one it does:

MnSymbol_Dirac.png

To dismiss the programming behind NMS as just 'impressive tech' is to do the coders a great disservice.

Slay

In one of the interviews, either Sean Murray or the art guy say that at the heart of NMS is a 'black box of math'.

to quote one of my favorite movies.

Restate my assumptions:

One, Mathematics is the language of nature.
Two, Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers.
Three: If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge.
Therefore, there are patterns everywhere in nature.
Evidence: The cycling of disease epidemics;the wax and wane of caribou populations; sun spot cycles; the rise and fall of the Nile.

Top Bottom