• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot's procedurally generated No Man's Sky daily previews/reveals! 7/7 to 7/10

Principate

Saint Titanfall
In one of the interviews, either Sean Murray or the art guy say that at the heart of NMS is a 'black box of math'.

Mathematics of this kind is easily as creative and expressive as an art form - like good engineering and craftsmanship and the difference between a painting that looks OK and one that takes your breath away, for those that can understand it (and I'm not one of them) it can describe whole universes in a single line. Indeed, in this one it does:

MnSymbol_Dirac.png

To dismiss the programming behind NMS as just 'impressive tech' is to do the coders a great disservice.

Wait what's the upper bound for that that differential summing. Is it assumed infinity? Guess it's an informal notation used to seeing the full index definitions.

Really interested in the game, but everything we're given continues to be fairly vague. I don't want the game spelled out for me. Far from it. I would however like to have a better understanding of the basic mechanics that they keep talking about such as resource collection, trade, and combat.

KOHIPEET

In the unveiling vid, around the 7:20 mark, did he say players can meet up?

If so, this game just became my most hyped one, dethroning Destiny.

EDIT: Continued to watch and they're definitely planning to add MP. Fuck yeah!!!

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
In the unveiling vid, around the 7:20 mark, did he say players can meet up?

If so, this game just became my most hyped one, dethroning Destiny.

EDIT: Continued to watch and they're definitely planning to add MP. Fuck yeah!!!

Yeah, he said it's possible but the universe is so vast it's not likely to happen easily.

I guess a lot will depends on how easy it is to plot your relative locations and meet, you could be far away and need to build a ship capable of Lightspeed before you had a chance. At least I hippie this is the case and you can't just spawn on friends.

border

Danny O'Dwyer awkwardly climbing up that hill at the beginning got a good chuckle from me.

I stopped watching once I realized they were just going to milk the old E3 footage for 10 minutes.

KOHIPEET

Yeah, he said it's possible but the universe is so vast it's not likely to happen easily.

I guess a lot will depends on how easy it is to plot your relative locations and meet, you could be far away and need to build a ship capable of Lightspeed before you had a chance. At least I hippie this is the case and you can't just spawn on friends.

What you've just wrote down (Let's hope there won't be fast travel -only-) is probably the most exciting concept a game ever had.

"-Where are you dude?
-Don't know, somewhere in the 32nd quadrant. (whatever)
-Good, that's only 122 lightyears away."

A casual conversation in No Man's sky.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If you watch the 2nd video, it describes the game more and how open it can be. Sounds astonishing and they seem to have something in MP that could hopefully mean a way for you to connect with friends. 2nd video got me even more excited for this.

I'm seriously keeping an eye on this! I hope this game is as great as the hype that has formed up to this point. I want more developers to take risks and try new and interesting things. And the vision of this game is just jaw dropping.

I wish you folks well.

SirCrush

Helluva feature. Are many of Gamespot's videos like this? I have not adopted GS as a normal stop in my video game content consumption but I just might if they have more shit like this.

Cuburt

Day 3: 7/9 - NO MAN'S SKY: THE BIGGEST GAME WORLD EVER CREATED: Billions of worlds, creatures, plants, ships, and possibility. How scale makes No Man's Sky unique.
Billions of worlds, though? Biggest game world ever created? I feel like the hyperbole surrounding this game has gone too far.

AWMvgHS.png

Every atom procedural?

I think I just need to stay far away from these No Man Sky threads until the game comes out because there is more hype around the game than showing the actual game. Even today's video which sounded to me like we were finally going to get a look at someone just playing in different ways, instead we get Sean Murray talking in vague, broad terms again with little new in the ways of info or footage but tons of flowery talk about imagination.

Enough with the talk. Don't tell me about a procedural game, show me.

Just so you guys know, they made it a point multiple times that they think games showing off so much of themselves before release eliminates the wonder of them or something like that.

Cuburt

Just so you guys know, they made it a point multiple times that they think games showing off so much of themselves before release eliminates the wonder of them or something like that.

It's procedural where every planet and environment and experience is supposed to be different. Where they are saying it might not even be possible for a person to run into another player because it's such a vast universe. Where you might discover animals never seen before because every animal is different. Where people might not even be able to explore a whole planet or the depths of the ocean because there is so much area to explore.

How is showing the game eliminating wonder of a almost limitless world?

If that's the excuse, I call bullshit.

I'm guessing its more about the features and not knowing exactly what to do. I remember Sean talking about how games in the past had a more mysterious, adventurous feeling. because there was less info about the games since they didn't give as much coverage.

Ok I'm probably super paraphrasing but Ill try to find the source when I get home.

Absinthe

Billions of worlds, though? Biggest game world ever created? I feel like the hyperbole surrounding this game has gone too far.

AWMvgHS.png

Every atom procedural?

I think I just need to stay far away from these No Man Sky threads until the game comes out because there is more hype around the game than showing the actual game. Even today's video which sounded to me like we were finally going to get a look at someone just playing in different ways, instead we get Sean Murray talking in vague, broad terms again with little new in the ways of info or footage but tons of flowery talk about imagination.

Enough with the talk. Don't tell me about a procedural game, show me.

I think they're just not ready to show it yet. They have all these ideas but getting those systems working together and functioning properly will be a huge undertaking.

Hopefully we get some more shown in the next few months because the hype surrounding this game could backfire if they don't deliver.

legacyzero

Banned
It's procedural where every planet and environment and experience is supposed to be different. Where they are saying it might not even be possible for a person to run into another player because it's such a vast universe. Where you might discover animals never seen before because every animal is different. Where people might not even be able to explore a whole planet or the depths of the ocean because there is so much area to explore.

How is showing the game eliminating wonder of a almost limitless world?

If that's the excuse, I call bullshit.

Dude, the game is a year off. They can't possibly blow their entire load with information yet. Let it have some mystery right now.

S'all part of the plan.

Cuburt

Shouldn't they just hold off on all these videos and segments until something is ready to be shown then? I don't think it's too much to ask that they actually show something when it's apparently been a year and a half in development and we are getting this abundance of coverage, yet, it's mostly reviewing the same footage with the same info, sneaking in a new split second clip of footage or detail about the game here and there.

I'm distrustful of developers trying to sell me on promises, ambitions, and dreams and all I ask for is to be shown something more tangible. I think it's a perfectly reasonable and legitimate request.

I gotta say, I completely understand people's frustrations with this game, or at least how the media keeps hyping it up without showing anything really. Sean Murray mentioned himself in an interview, jokingly and something in the line of them not really feeling sure they should've shown the game at the VGX and that it might've been a mistake.

On one hand, the media is creating huge hype for this game because they have a very easy thing to lock on to, the image of a small indie team creating a procedural universe, which honestly can be interpreted from "so what" to "holy shit", depending on the technical complexity of said game universe. I wish everyone would leave them alone and let them work in quiet, without any pressure. Honestly, if this game turns out to offer a more streamlined, easy to access Elite experience, anything more will be a bonus.

On the other hand, I've never been for this kind of hyping, mostly because there's rarely been a game I would hype about so much, but still I feel that if there are games worth hyping about, purely for the idea and will to try to make this procedural-GTA-survival-in-space, then this game is it. I've said this before and it might sound kind of dumb, but if No Man's Sky manages to become the Doom of the hopefully upcoming space sims renaissance, I'm all for it. They might want to tone down the hype, but ultimately I think it'll boost sales and probably more people will play this than Elite: Dangerous or Star Citizen.

Also, I encourage everyone to download Space Engine and maybe try Oolite or Pioneer if you don't have a lot of experience with space exploration sims or at least to marvel at a more barebones procedural universe generator with Space Engine.

If that's true, then how does the "Discovered by:" work?

The first player to find a planet gets credit? And it's echoed to everyone else who plays the game?
Credit goes to whomever finds it first, but I don't think the discovery is broadcast in any way. Rather, when I "spot" something new, it'll then tell me whether I discovered it, or if you already had.

Wouldn't that encourage people to just do "drive-bys" of as many planets as possible when the game launches to simply "discover" them and get credit for them? Or does everyone get their own "fog of war", regardless if other's have already discovered a planet you are visiting for the first time?
I would hope it would take more to "discover" something than simply speeding past it in your ship. You may need to "plant your flag" on a planet to claim it, and collect/tag flora and fauna before they're considered discovered.

Where does the "procedural" part come in? Does the universe just slowly generate as people travel further out into it, and then becomes a permanent part of the universe for everyone else to visit?
This, I suspect. In addition to the obvious advantage of "infinite" variety, procedural worlds don't require much in the way of storage. While there's an infinite variety of animal life in the game, all of that life is expressed by a single formula, with variables to create the variety. Maybe each animal is described by a formula with 10 variables, each with 256 possible values. Once the game creates that particular creature, all it needs to store is the 10 bytes of unique information. So you can have the descriptions for over 100 creatures stored in a single KB. 1 MB can hold over 100,000 creatures.

There's no need to store polygon meshes, textures, and animation paths for every creature in the game. If you approach a planet where that creature lives, the game simply generates an appropriate number using the stored description. Once generated, those creatures would occupy the normal amount of RAM a similar creature would occupy in another game, but once you move on to another area, the models can be discarded, retaining only the brief descriptions.

Does the client dictate expansion? Or the server (aka the server starts "building" after a set of parameters are met by the players? Or does it build according to each individual player's progress?)

And if it's client-based, how do you determine which clients get "first dibs" on the expanded universe?
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here, but I'm guessing that as you approach a new area, content is generated using the formulas described above, and the results are then stored on the server so that if/when another player happens along, the game knows what sort of stuff to show them. I don't know whether the formulas will be filled in server-side or client-side, but I don't think it makes much difference from a player perspective.

When players are near each other, some type of synchronization will occur to ensure everyone sees the same thing, I'm sure.

And if it's client-based, how do you determine which clients get "first dibs" on the expanded universe?
I'm not sure what you're asking here.

I think I'm getting over my head here lol
Hope this helps. lol

Absinthe

Shouldn't they just hold off on all these videos and segments until something is ready to be shown then? I don't think it's too much to ask that they actually show something when it's apparently been a year and a half in development and we are getting this abundance of coverage, yet, it's mostly reviewing the same footage with the same info, sneaking in a new split second clip of footage or detail about the game here and there.

I'm distrustful of developers trying to sell me on promises, ambitions, and dreams and all I ask for is to be shown something more tangible. I think it's a perfectly reasonable and legitimate request.

Probably.

It really feels like they stumbled into this hype unexpectedly and are now trying to deal with it in the best way they can. Being as vague as possible helps them refrain from promises they cannot keep.

More than Hello Games, it's Sony and gaming websites that are pushing this as the next big thing. It has amazing potential and I hope it works out.

DedValve

Banned
Probably.

It really feels like they stumbled into this hype unexpectedly and are now trying to deal with it in the best way they can. Being as vague as possible helps them refrain from promises they cannot keep.

More than Hello Games, it's Sony and gaming websites that are pushing this as the next big thing. It has amazing potential and I hope it works out.

Ironically, being vague just builds up hype that they can't surpass. Might as well give us a good 30 minutes of gameplay, show us what the moment to moment gameplay is going to be about.

Absinthe

Ironically, being vague just builds up hype that they can't surpass. Might as well give us a good 30 minutes of gameplay, show us what the moment to moment gameplay is going to be about.

My guess is they don't have it ready to show yet. I think there was gameplay shown behind closed doors at E3 but it was just exploration. I'd bet it will be a while before actual gameplay is shown with the systems they have discussed.

SirCrush

"Well shit, my mom thinks I'm high anyways...might as well get high." :p

Skittles

In one of the interviews, either Sean Murray or the art guy say that at the heart of NMS is a 'black box of math'.

Mathematics of this kind is easily as creative and expressive as an art form - like good engineering and craftsmanship and the difference between a painting that looks OK and one that takes your breath away, for those that can understand it (and I'm not one of them) it can describe whole universes in a single line. Indeed, in this one it does:

MnSymbol_Dirac.png

To dismiss the programming behind NMS as just 'impressive tech' is to do the coders a great disservice.
I wish I could read this :(. I won't be able to until my senior year of college though.

And then when something ends up being even slightly different than what they showed, DOWNGRADE WTF LIARS TRICKED US WANT MONEY BACK NEVER SUPPORTING HELLO GAMES AGAIN.

BouncyFrag

Great vids. I can't wait to upgrade my 'battle tool'. The devs seem hesitant to spill the beans on the game which in this case I don't mind. My interest is already piqued and I'm not one for spoilers.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I really like these videos. This is what game journalism should be more about. Documenting development of interesting games and people

Zok310

Banned
Yes, it's the leaked controller that we saw before the actual reveal

ps4-controlleraasx2.jpg

Ohh so they leaked PS4 controller, wow, that good to know. hope that lil tidbit makes it into some kind of video game trivia thread down the line.

Aside from that, GS is doing some heavy shit with this reveal, currently a lot better than the IGN First crap.

hawk2025

You guys want a Ubisoft-like vomit of content video that shows everything.

A year before it comes out.

That's not reasonable, it's insanity.

legacyzero

Banned
I am with the people who think this game is being overhyped and will lead many people to being disappointed,

Therein lies the problem. Gaming, this past generation, has made us so cynical. Our favorite games/franchises/developers have done things that have let us down so much in the last 6-8 years, that it's hard to be properly hyped anymore for games after we've been let down so much. And I know the feeling. I remember being so hyped for Final Fantasy XIII, that I couldn't contain it. It was overwhelming. And then I played it. And then I played some more. And then a little more. And my disgust grew and grew for it, to the point of physical hatred. How could Square-Enix do this to my beloved franchise? So I'm a bit cynical about it, too.

However, we can't keep unfairly jumping to negative conclusions about some games based on what OTHER games have done. It's not fair to us as "gamers", and it's not fair to potentially honest devs that really want to do something great. Have we been so scarred by games, that we're unable to love them anymore? We've seen literally MINUTES of this game, and we're already telling ourselves that we're disappointed by it. We're already proclaiming the devs a failure, a year or more before we even get to play it ourselves. How do you enjoy games, now?

I'm a bit biased, or course, because this is my most anticipated game (probably of the last 5 or so years). So of course I'm going to defend Hello Games. But does that make me less worried for the same reasons as everybody else? Absolutely. The last time I was hyped for a game like this, Notch had announced his concept for ox10c. Some time later, he failed miserably, and cancelled the project. He couldn't "Make it fun." But that didn't stop me from loving the idea, and being extremely hyped for it. For the love of games. Was I fucking MAD AS HELL? Yep. Do I like Notch less? Yep.

We should stop being so critical of games/developers, before they even have the chance to prove themselves. Does it potentially set us up for disappointment. Possibly. But is it better for games? Gamers? IMHO, yes.

I really like these videos. This is what game journalism should be more about. Documenting development of interesting games and people

Fucking nailed it.

You guys want a Ubisoft-like vomit of content video that shows everything.

A year before it comes out.

That's not reasonable, it's insanity.

Agreed. They have mentioned numerous times that they want this to be a place of wonder. Secrets. And it's hard to do that if they lift the skirt on EVERYTHING. Especially this early.

v1lla21

So I'm guessing that there will be possibilities to meet up friends and just fuck around but there is no system implemented where you can just join the same squad and fuck around. I guess you'd have to look at a map, set up a place to meet, and just go there.

LinnyCkles

Neo Member

MnSymbol_Dirac.png

Lol, I promise you, that one line definitely doesn't describe the whole universe (in the sense of a game universe OR the real universe).

Things like the trees, landscapes, clouds and animals are going to require completely different approaches from the larger scale stuff. I'm not even sure it's right to describe the types of animals they're making as procedural, they're certainly not procedural in the same sense that a landscape is. Not if they've got things like Brachiosaurus' as seen in the demo.

But hey, at this point, they could bullshit me and claim that the whole universe was generated instantly in a minute. I'll go along with whatever at this point cos I'm genuinely excited about this game.

I'm just saying, the way they've been talking about this... You might as well really not expect too much to be shown off for this game at ALL pre-release.

Trouble

Banned
I'm OK with limited info. I'm definitely going media dark a couple weeks out from launch until well after launch.

kyser73

Lol, I promise you, that one line definitely doesn't describe the whole universe (in the sense of a game universe OR the real universe).

Things like the trees, landscapes, clouds and animals are going to require completely different approaches from the larger scale stuff. I'm not even sure it's right to describe the types of animals they're making as procedural, they're certainly not procedural in the same sense that a landscape is. Not if they've got things like Brachiosaurus' as seen in the demo.

But hey, at this point, they could bullshit me and claim that the whole universe was generated instantly in a minute. I'll go along with whatever at this point cos I'm genuinely excited about this game.

True enough, I was pretty incensed by the comment about it just being ínteresting tech and not really creative' and wanted an example of truth & beauty in maths :)

From a US Gamer article

No Man's Sky's engine works the same way. Hello Games has created a few tree/animal models and then the game extrapolates endless variants on those original models by stretching them, skewing them, changing textures, and adding bits like fruit, horns, and more. Murray opened up a development window on the E3 build of No Man's Sky, showing a around 20 variants on a single model of a basic four-legged creature. Then he clicked "more" to show another 20 variants. He clicked again and again, more variants. Murray explained that he could do this all day without seeing the same thing.

Top Bottom