• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot's procedurally generated No Man's Sky daily previews/reveals! 7/7 to 7/10

chinto20

Banned
Quick question guys, do we know if this game is going to have a map? I suppose we're getting at least something to know where the center of the galaxy is, but I wanna know if we're getting some kind of map with the planets that have been already discovered...

Thanks

legacyzero

Banned
Quick question guys, do we know if this game is going to have a map? I suppose we're getting at least something to know where the center of the galaxy is, but I wanna know if we're getting some kind of map with the planets that have been already discovered...

Thanks

I dont' think it's been said yet. But I hope so.

The game sounds like it is being made to be played alone.

sogood.gif

I like single player.

but it also sounds like this is what mmos should strive for. the sense of scale is balls to the walls awesome. it's so vast that a planet alone is, in essence, as big as a planet.

rexor0717

I think this game is going to very heavily focused on the feeling of being a space adventurer more than supporting a deep collection of mechanics. I'm good with that as long as their systems allow for some awesome emergent experiences. I'm incredibly excited for this game, I can already see it swallowing me up whole.

chinto20

Banned
It has been said, yes there will be a map, and you will see all the planets from the start but there will be no info on them until you or someone else discovers them.

Thanks!

Man I just can't imagine the size of this game, crossing paths with other players is supposed to be hard as nails.

These are some really well done videos. I came to possibly see new gameplay but I stayed to listen to their story. So good!

This game looks incredible! I cannot wait for tomorrow's video.

Not only as a gamer, but as a software developer/ programming major student, this title just blows my mind. I'm surprised that this thread doesn't have as many pages as I thought it would. To say that this is one of my most anticipated titles is to say very little about it. These people are honestly brilliant if they manage to deliver what they have promised.

What I don't understand are the people who keep saying they're waiting for them to show gameplay.
All the videos they have released so far have been gameplay so I'm not sure what it is you're looking or waiting for. Is it that you need an assault rifle in your hand shooting at the dinosaurs to think that is the core gameplay loop?

What I don't understand are the people who keep saying they're waiting for them to show gameplay.
All the videos they have released so far have been gameplay so I'm not sure what it is you're looking or waiting for. Is it that you need an assault rifle in your hand shooting at the dinosaurs to think that is the core gameplay loop?

Uh, no. I'm pretty sure people people just want to see footage of some of the details they've been talking about in action. Like how crafting/mining/combat will work. Footage of using the navigation system (that I think they talked about) on the map to get to a planet. Y'know.

Uh, no. I'm pretty sure people people just want to see footage of some of the details they've been talking about in action. Like how crafting/mining/combat will work. Footage of using the navigation system (that I think they talked about) on the map to get to a planet. Y'know.

They've showed plenty of the space combat and in this trailer at the 42 second mark it shows the multitool/weapon shooting at a drone. They have also shown some of the resources you will mine around the 29 second mark as well and just because they haven't shown the player going up to the pile of resources and using his tool doesn't mean it's not gameplay.

Just because they haven't shown the menu or map which is not even gameplay where they show the planets also doesn't mean they didn't show the player going in his ship then taking off and getting into combat with other AI ships and flying down to a different planet while still chasing the AI ships seamlessly. It seems you're wanting to see menu's and stats of resources gathered instead of actual gameplay.

Black Hat

The awkward moment when you finally find another human player after months of playing and the first thing they do is kill you and steal your stuff.

The awkward moment when you finally find another human player after months of playing and the first thing they do is kill you and steal your stuff.

Oh, the humanity!

Focus on singleplayer, I like that very much. Playing that beauty with Morpheus, my goodness!

I bet he's made so many people happy by confirming there will be traditional multiplayer. My guess is it will be made available after release as at the start of the second video he says we won't be able to do everything on launch.

They've showed plenty of the space combat and in this trailer at the 42 second mark it shows the multitool/weapon shooting at a drone. They have also shown some of the resources you will mine around the 29 second mark as well and just because they haven't shown the player going up to the pile of resources and using his tool doesn't mean it's not gameplay.

Just because they haven't shown the menu or map which is not even gameplay where they show the planets also doesn't mean they didn't show the player going in his ship then taking off and getting into combat with other AI ships and flying down to a different planet while still chasing the AI ships seamlessly. It seems you're wanting to see menu's and stats of resources gathered instead of actual gameplay.

They've barely shown off anything. Aside from more details/features being shown, we also want to see actual genuine gameplay footage rather than just a "scripted" trailer.

I'm not expecting anything at all really, but i'm just telling you what'd I'd, and i'm sure a lot of others would like to see.

I don't want traditional multiplayer.

In fact, traditional multiplayer might hold back the core gameplay.

If you need to incorporate netcode on top of the core game, there's a chance some core game sacrifices would have to be made to get the MP stuff in.

If the universe in this game is a big and ever-expanding as they claim it will be, then adding multiplayer netcode on top of that might bog it all down.

If they do add MP, it should be as basic and simple as possible to ensure the stability and the core gameplay itself is not compromised in any way.

Unicorn

They've barely shown off anything. Aside from more details/features being shown, we also want to see actual genuine gameplay footage rather than just a "scripted" trailer.

I'm not expecting anything at all really, but i'm just telling you what'd I'd, and i'm sure a lot of others would like to see.
Sounds like you just want to see a let's play. What they've provided is a collage of details and features. Each clip is filled with information, especially the E3 video. It compressed all of the core elements of the exploration experience into a tight drive by.

Each shot showed environmental detail - from fauna to resources, space stuff - ship take off and combat to fleets and trade ships to wingman AI to flow of combat taking course from space to on a planet. It showed brief shots of the multitool in action, as well as snippets of details on screens, such as the multitool screen and ship screens.

Another reason we get these snippets is because the game isn't final, so pacing and balance aren't accounted for. To want to see this finished product and in the "to-scale" pace and presentation is unrealistic and disingenuous to what they want the player to experience day one.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I want to see continuous footage of the game, how the game will actually play when I have it in front of me. A sizzle reel trailer does not provide that.

Reading the devs comments it would seem he doesn't want to reveal anything and let the game wow us when it's released... but then why the constant NMS media bombardment? Just go silent, have a quiet release for the game and then players will generate the hype through impressions, screenshots and videos.

And just for the record I think this game looks potentially amazing.

Unicorn

I want to see continuous footage of the game, how the game will actually play when I have it in front of me. A sizzle reel trailer does not provide that.

Reading the devs comments it would seem he doesn't want to reveal anything and let the game wow us when it's released... but then why the constant NMS media bombardment? Just go silent, have a quiet release for the game and then players will generate the hype through impressions, screenshots and videos.

And just for the record I think this game looks potentially amazing.
Because marketing equals sales. Whether it satisfies you or not is irrelevant, because the amount of people they reach will outweigh those that will decide to wait for player impressions before buying anyway.

Edit

Article three just posted.

Because marketing equals sales. Whether it satisfies you or not is irrelevant, because the amount of people they reach will outweigh those that will decide to wait for player impressions before buying anyway.

Edit

Article three just posted.

So you don't see the danger on selling people on things that may or may not be feasible for them to do? I hear a lot of big talk, I'm not seeing a lot of actual content.

This whole process would be a hell of a lot more WOW if they had actual gameplay interspersed liberally to go along with the interviews and stories.

What they're doing here doesn't exactly engender all that much confidence from me.

So you don't see the danger on selling people on things that may or may not be feasible for them to do? I hear a lot of big talk, I'm not seeing a lot of actual content.

This whole process would be a hell of a lot more WOW if they had actual gameplay interspersed liberally to go along with the interviews and stories.

What they're doing here doesn't exactly engender all that much confidence from me.

Wasn't that footage they showed... well lots of it... actual gameplay? I honestly thought it was.... but i could be very wrong. Someone correct me if so.

At 3:40, Danny says, "The universe is constant; it's the same for everyone."

So as I was saying, content is generated randomly, but once generated, it's then set in stone, so everyone who visits that location later will see that same stuff. I imagine that if we manage to meet up, we'll see precisely the same thing, so we'll both see the same deer standing in the same place, etc.

Unicorn

So as I was saying, content is generated randomly, but once generated, it's then set in stone, so everyone who visits that location later will see that same stuff. I imagine that if we manage to meet up, we'll see precisely the same thing, so we'll both see the same deer standing in the same place, etc.
They've said before that it's a procedural universe, so someone who never connects online has the same base galaxy as everyone that connects online. All the planets, etc. are predetermined, in a sense. All spawned from the same beginning seed, basically.

Alebelly

OMG, that transformation of that guy from Day8 to Day9 is absolutely frightening. I'm scared he'll have turned to a dried out sack of bones by Day10.

Edit: lol, those are two different guys, nevermind

Tigress

Man.. I'm just watching the 7/8 video and what they are saying about gameplay... I *want* this. This is the reason I like games such as Fallout or Skryim really, the totally open possibility on what you can do (but of course this really being way more open than Fallout or Skyrim. But that's why I like those games is they allow me so many different little things. I mean I know it sounds stupid but even stuff like sitting in a chair. Stuff that lets me not just play a game, but roleplay a role).

The whole some are friendly, some are foe (and not just everyone is a foe). Sounds like there is crafting (huge sucker for crafting). And the whole idea that the game will be expanding and that they plan on keeping adding on to it.

This is the kind of thing that sucks me in.

Granted, it's all promises now but I hope they can hold true to it. Sounds like this game is pretty much the epitome of what i really look for in a game (going by promises anyways). Except the artwork isn't my favorite but it's not bad either and definitely not something that would sway me away (unlike Minecraft which I really should try cause from what I hear it also sounds like something I'd get into but I hate pixel art/graphics and want something that is less screaming "computer graphics" than pixel graphics. Sorry, pixel art in a game tends to ruin immersion for me cause it's a constant reminder you are playing a computer game).

Absinthe

Actually, inthe preview for this very feature on No Man's Sky, Danny talks about why too much information can really RUIN a game experience.

My thoughts exactly.

I agree completely.

For certain games, marketing, videos, and early footage can take away from the exploration and wonder at that games core. In No Man's Sky this is even more relevant and I'm excited Hello Games is taking this approach.

fuzzyset

What I want to know is: when you see a planet, it says "Discovered by: fuzzyset", which is neat. BUT, do the actions I take on the planet get "sync'd" between everyone? Like, can I leave signs saying "fuzzyset was here" for the whole world to see? I really hope that's the case. Can you imagine coming across a planet that's just been decimated by someone? It would be so creepy I think.

I can't wait for this game. I also can't wait for the knock-offs. More games like this please.

They've said before that it's a procedural universe, so someone who never connects online has the same base galaxy as everyone that connects online. All the planets, etc. are predetermined, in a sense. All spawned from the same beginning seed, basically.
Oh, so all of the content is generated randomly, but that's all done at the studio? Interesting. Do you happen to have a link for that?

What I want to know is: when you see a planet, it says "Discovered by: fuzzyset", which is neat. BUT, do the actions I take on the planet get "sync'd" between everyone? Like, can I leave signs saying "fuzzyset was here" for the whole world to see? I really hope that's the case. Can you imagine coming across a planet that's just been decimated by someone? It would be so creepy I think.

I can't wait for this game. I also can't wait for the knock-offs. More games like this please.
Well, they say the universe is the same for everyone, so I'd imagine all of the "changes" you make would propagate. You might not be able to put up signs per se, but if you come by and mine all of the unobtainium from a planet, I expect there won't be any left for me
unless it actively spawns or something
. They have said that if you eradicate an entire species, no one else will ever see it again, for example.

LeBart

The thing is, if the galaxy really is to scale, the chances of somebody randomly finding a planet you've discovered are extremely slim, and the chances of them landing on the exact spot where you left a sign are basically nonexistent.
What would be cool is if you could leave a beacon near interesting places, that other players could detect if they happen to be in range.

Tigress

The thing is, if the galaxy really is to scale, the chances of somebody randomly finding a planet you've discovered are extremely slim, and the chances of them landing on the exact spot where you left a sign are basically nonexistent.
What would be cool is if you could leave a beacon near interesting places, that other players could detect if they happen to be in range.

Which is why it would be extra cool if you did land on a planet some one was on and you could tell they were here (by a sign or even the devestation they left behind). It would be cool just cause it was a rare occurance and what are the chances?

I'm guessing the first person to discover a planet or species or something get's lifetime credit for it and it'll show exactly who discovered it for everyone who visits it.

So, hopefully, if everyone starts in their own, unexplored section of the universe, you'll at least get credit for the discoveries in your own starting solar system without having to worry about starting the game in an already explored universe with nothing new to uncover.

I hope they have decent name filters too - I'd hate to see "Planet - Omega Trion: Discovered by POOPBUTTZ$&%&#" on anything... it would be really annoying.

KOHIPEET

I am so going to listen to this while approaching a cold, dark moon that orbits around a huge ass gass giant.

Also, it has just occured to me. Let's say there are 1m players on a single server playing this game (a number highly unlikely to happen soon) they're spread across an entire galaxy that consists of hundreds of millions of stars.

What are the odds of running into each other? Like 1 to what 400.000?

tumblr_mrfgfvgTY91sezoa7o1_400.gif

Well, then. That settles that question.

It also makes it more clear about the procedural generation. They said everyone starts out in a new, undiscovered system of their own on the farthest edge of the universe and the basic goal is to get to the center of the galaxy where, apparently, an Antagonist of some sort is waiting to be "dealt with" in some way.

The procedural generation most likely occurs at the EDGES of this universe and just builds outward as new people create accounts to join the game. When a new player joins the game for the first time, it sounds like the server creates an attachment solar-system for them to start out in. They then can explore their own new system, or neighboring systems and then eventually work their way into the center of the known universe.

So, the interior of the universe is most likely pre-generated ahead of time and everything new get's tacked on to the current outer-edges of the universe.

At least, that's what it sounds like to me??

I said this yesterday. It seems like the designers of this game have "cracked" some kind of code and the knowledge is making them all go slowly insane.

I love it.

can't wait to explore.

Top Bottom