• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot's procedurally generated No Man's Sky daily previews/reveals! 7/7 to 7/10

I'm totally non-productive today.

I hope they tell us more about the gameplay.

The bounty-hunter tease has got me even more non-productive.

LeBart

First time I hear about earth-sized planets. After seeing the E3 video I feared that all planets would be tiny, this is really reassuring.

Every time they tease something about this game it just leaves me wanting to know even more, like I want to know more about this antagonist. I was not expecting there to be one in the game.

Glad he confirmed that it is possible to come across other players (even if it's rare). Seemed to be a lot of confusion about that.

v0yce

Cannot wait for this.

As someone who loved wandering around the secondary barren planets in the original Mass Effect, this is going to be great.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yea, its still sounding HYPE to me. That's a good thing. Don't care if you think people are getting overexcited about it or that it wont live up to it. This is a game worth getting excited over.

This sounds like it could be like a sci-fi Minecraft.

Glad he confirmed that it is possible to come across other players (even if it's rare). Seemed to be a lot of confusion about that.

In another interview a couple weeks ago, he hinted that the multiplayer interactions might only be through gestures; I forget what game he referenced, but basically, you could SEE other players and make gestures to one another, but you could not actually talk to them with chat or voice.

He also hinted that the players may be on the same planet together, but they may have their own generated worlds that only the individual players themselves can see. In other words, if you and your friend are on the same planet, you would see different wildlife and vegetation then your friend would. Which, makes sense since the game is procedurally generated for everyone differently. If everyone saw the exact same thing, then it wouldn't really be procedurally generated outside of the first time anyone discovered a planet.

However, I would imagine the certain places, like maybe stations or trading outposts, would be persistent for everyone.

But again, I have zero confirmation for any of this. This is just trying to piece together clues from various articles about the game. I don't even know if the developers have settled on anything concrete yet.

In another interview a couple weeks ago, he hinted that the multiplayer interactions might only be through gestures; I forget what game he referenced, but basically, you could SEE other players and make gestures to one another, but you could not actually talk to them with chat or voice.

He also hinted that the players may be on the same planet together, but they may have their own generated worlds that only the individual players themselves can see. In other words, if you and your friend are on the same planet, you would see different wildlife and vegetation then your friend would. Which, makes sense since the game is procedurally generated for everyone differently. If everyone saw the exact same thing, then it wouldn't really be procedurally generated outside of the first time anyone discovered a planet.

However, I would imagine the certain places, like maybe stations or trading outposts, would be persistent for everyone.

But again, I have zero confirmation for any of this. This is just trying to piece together clues from various articles about the game. I don't even know if the developers have settled on anything concrete yet.

Journey and Demon's Souls? Dunno if that's what you heard but he's definitely used those as examples post E3 '14.

Journey and Demon's Souls? Dunno if that's what you heard but he's definitely used those as examples post E3 '14.

Journey =- that was it...

There is a multiplayer component, but it's not a MMO-style universe. It's been described as "Journey-esque". (from wiki: In Journey, the player controls a robed figure in a vast desert, traveling towards a mountain in the distance. Other players on the same journey can be discovered, and two players can meet and assist each other, but they cannot communicate via speech or text and cannot see each other's names. The only form of communication between the two is a musical chime.)

So, I would assume there's some sort of gesture-based interactions, at the very basic level. Waving? Pointing? ...dancing? lol who knows.

Just speculation.

Unicorn

Showed the creature generation tool briefly. About par for what I expected. Core starting creature, like a dog, which then got modified with attributes such as things added or features altered.

He also hinted that the players may be on the same planet together, but they may have their own generated worlds that only the individual players themselves can see. In other words, if you and your friend are on the same planet, you would see different wildlife and vegetation then your friend would. Which, makes sense since the game is procedurally generated for everyone differently. If everyone saw the exact same thing, then it wouldn't really be procedurally generated outside of the first time anyone discovered a planet

No, everyone shares the same universe. I would provide links but I'm on mobile.

Edit: Well unless he said otherwise in the video. I can't watch it yet because gamespot vids suck on mobile.

No, everyone shares the same universe. I would provide links but I'm on mobile.

Edit: Well unless he said otherwise in the video. I can't watch it yet because gamespot vids suck on mobile.

If that's true, then how does the "Discovered by:" work?

The first player to find a planet gets credit? And it's echoed to everyone else who plays the game?

Wouldn't that encourage people to just do "drive-bys" of as many planets as possible when the game launches to simply "discover" them and get credit for them? Or does everyone get their own "fog of war", regardless if other's have already discovered a planet you are visiting for the first time?

(Just hypothetical questions of course...)

Where does the "procedural" part come in? Does the universe just slowly generate as people travel further out into it, and then becomes a permanent part of the universe for everyone else to visit?

Does the client dictate expansion? Or the server (aka the server starts "building" after a set of parameters are met by the players? Or does it build according to each individual player's progress?)

And if it's client-based, how do you determine which clients get "first dibs" on the expanded universe?

I think I'm getting over my head here lol

DJ88

Gonna watch this when I get home, but is there any new footage in this video? Or is it the same stuff we've seen from E3 and VGX?

Unicorn

Gonna watch this when I get home, but is there any new footage in this video? Or is the same stuff we've seen from E3 and VGX?
Mostly same footage. There's a couple new clips, one which shows creature generation at the 5:30 mark.

OneUh8

The first player to find a planet gets credit? And it's echoed to everyone else who plays the game?

Wouldn't that encourage people to just do "drive-bys" of as many planets as possible when the game launches to simply "discover" them and get credit for them? Or does everyone get their own "fog of war", regardless if other's have already discovered a planet you are visiting for the first time?

(Just hypothetical questions of course...)

Where does the "procedural" part come in? Does the universe just slowly generate as people travel further out into it, and then becomes a permanent part of the universe for everyone else to visit?

Does the client dictate expansion? Or the server (aka the server starts "building" after a set of parameters are met by the players? Or does it build according to each individual player's progress?)

And if it's client-based, how do you determine which clients get "first dibs" on the expanded universe?

I think I'm getting over my head here lol

These are great questions actually. It was mentioned in the video how some planets might not totally be discovered because they are so big. At this point we still don't know enough about the game. Plenty of time though. There is no reason for them to spill out everything when the game seems to still be a ways off.

Danlord

One thing that caught my attention was

Sean Murray - Gamespot video @ 0:55 said:
"...and when we ship the game not everything will be possible but this is going to be a game we're going to make for quite a while, even after it comes out."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and don't get me wrong I am hyped for this but I'm concerned that there's going to be less of what we see in these trailers when we first get the game and it'll be patched into it afterwards. I'm getting the game Day 1 of course, but I just don't want a noticeable chunk of the game missing at launch.
Of course, I could be reading too much into it. :/

androvsky

Even if everyone does drive-bys, if it's a properly sized galaxy it'll take many years for all the planets to get discovered, even if it's a Minecraft-sized hit. At fifty million copies sold, each player will have to find around 10,000 stars (with multiple planets and moons per most stars) to discover everything. And that's not counting resources, animal, and plant life on many of those planets. God help you if someone finds a Dyson sphere.

I don't know the answer to all of your questions but isn't that one of the features. they've talked about multiple times?

Even in the trailers it shows that the location was found by Hello Games. They want people to upload coordinates to planets that are interesting or that have a lot of resources so other players can visit there.

Saganator

Can't wait to hear more about the scale of the game. People have a hard time comprehending the scale of the universe, maybe this game will help them. I kinda wish finding another human player is a big deal and kind of a side goal. It would be neat if players could leave breadcrumbs to help people find each other. Craftable items like radio signal transmitters or a satellite carrying a message. This game sounds too cool, I can't wait to see more!

legacyzero

Banned
One thing that caught my attention was

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and don't get me wrong I am hyped for this but I'm concerned that there's going to be less of what we see in these trailers when we first get the game and it'll be patched into it afterwards. I'm getting the game Day 1 of course, but I just don't want a noticeable chunk of the game missing at launch.
Of course, I could be reading too much into it. :/
Im hoping its a bit more like Minecraft where the game was good feature-wise at launch, but they are constantly adding cool new features later.

In one of the interviews, either Sean Murray or the art guy say that at the heart of NMS is a 'black box of math'.

MnSymbol_Dirac.png

So they created their own spacial-relativity algorythm. Einstein would be proud.

And yea, my mind is now totally blown.

slash3584

Can't wait to hear more about the scale of the game. People have a hard time comprehending the scale of the universe, maybe this game will help them. I kinda wish finding another human player is a big deal and kind of a side goal. It would be neat if players could leave breadcrumbs to help people find each other. Craftable items like radio signal transmitters or a satellite carrying a message. This game sounds too cool, I can't wait to see more!

This would be incredibly cool.

jett

D-Member
UNVEILING THE GAMEPLAY FOR THE FIRST TIME WORLD XCLUSIVEZ!!11

*shows no new footage*

Not even surprised.

Aces&Eights

... it can describe whole universes in a single line. Indeed, in this one it does:

MnSymbol_Dirac.png

To dismiss the programming behind NMS as just 'impressive tech' is to do the coders a great disservice.

I get lost when letters are used in math and these guys are using SHAPES that I have never seen. Is that one a trident? I am going to just assume that these coders know their shit.

Can't wait for this game.

BigDug13

Game looks great. But it is IMO too focused on solitary gameplay.

I don't understand why solitary games are bad. Skyrim, Fallout, etc are some of the highest rated games from last gen. I love a quality environment that doesn't need others to be fun.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
UNVEILING THE GAMEPLAY FOR THE FIRST TIME WORLD XCLUSIVEZ!!11

*shows no new footage*

Not even surprised.
They're still not showing it eh? Guess I won't watch. This game sorely needs to be demonstrated. Just have the guy play it for 15-60 minutes and explain it.

I really don't think I learned anything new from that vid. Lol
Still vague as ever

Yup, same here. Nothing new and still just a vague.

And I STILL think Hello Games is making a mistake letting Sony moneyhat them into whatever NMS' timed exclusivity is going to be.

I get, from a business perspective, what Sony is trying to do. They're trying to secure the "next big thing"/the Minecraft killer, but Minecraft is SUCCESSFUL because it started out on PC was built from their and then taken everywhere else.

Not saying NMS won't be successful, but I think the game should be coming to PC first and then branching out, rather than the reverse.

I get lost when letters are used in math and these guys are using SHAPES that I have never seen. Is that one a trident? I am going to just assume that these coders know their shit.

Can't wait for this game.

The trident is Psi.

It's used in physics formulas.

And seeing "mc²" in that formula tells me it's probably a spacial formula of some sort for generating objects "like planets?" interpsersed between other planets/systems so they're not on top of each other.

Psoelberg

There hasn't really been anything new yet. We know the same things, and it's still pretty vague. But still nice to see him talk about the game and showing a little of the production.

Top Bottom