• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What exactly is manufactured hype?

Rembrandt

Banned
I think I just started seeing it first or a lot more often with Titanfall and I saw some people throw the word around for Evolve some, too. Would No Man's Sky be considered manufactured hype? Is there a noticeable distinction between manufactured hype and just regular hype?

Edit: Instead of just naming Titanfall, can we name some other games that might be an example of "manufactured hype"

I guess it is just the feeling of disconnect between the level of hype that is portrayed in the media, and the level of hype observed in other actual players.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
TitanFall, I wouldn't say was manufactured, the game was underwhelming which no one was aware of during the beta.

I think I just started seeing it first or a lot more often with Titanfall and I saw some people throw the word around for Evolve some, too. Would No Man's Sky be considered manufactured hype? Is there a noticeable distinction between manufactured hype and just regular hype?

You are right on the money with Titanfall.

I wouldn't consider Titanfall to have been manufactured hype. Hype was generated all on its own because of the pre-release betas for PC and Xbox One. Gamers were crawling all over each other to get an install key. Respawn hardly had to do anything but dangle them in front of everyone's faces.

mikey1123

I think Titanfall is the definition of manufacture hype. A week after the press reviews were out, I stopped hearing about the game.

AlexBasch

Yeah, Titanfall matches that description.

I really liked the game, but IMO, most of the hype around it came from magazines and gaming sites, not from people in forums and whatnot.

watch_5/10_Dogs
This too. Heck, I remember confusing this with Sleeping Dogs myself, and then there was the downgrade-gate thing.

TrueGrime

I haven't yet seen this term put to No Man's Sky or Evolve, just for Titanfall. Which was just plain out and completely wrong even in the days during the beta.

Yawnier

Banned
Titanfall and Watch Dogs for two recent examples

Don't know if I would consider No Man's Sky manufactured hype, the VGX thread here on GAF went wild over it when it was first shown.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't think I've ever seen someone call hype manufactured before this year. To me it just means "i don't like thing the media likes so money hats".

Rembrandt

Banned
I wouldn't consider Titanfall to have been manufactured hype. Hype was generated all on its own because of the pre-release betas for PC and Xbox One. Gamers were crawling all over each other to get an install key. Respawn hardly had to do anything but dangle them in front of everyone's faces.

I don't think it was either. That game was just the first time I heard the term, I think. It's almost synonymous with it now it seems.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That's not the chronology. Titanfall was accused of having manufactured hype (which I find an absolutely retarded accusation) at E3 2013. That is a long time before the beta.

Dylan

"Manufactured Hype" could mean a number of things, but to me I think two games that were prototypes of this kind of marketing last gen were:

- Halo 3

- Modern Warfare 2

Both games were positioned as massive "culture events" before anyone had access to actually play the game to see whether or not they were good. Granted, both games had a lot of "natural hype" going for them since they were sequels to extremely well regarded games; and publishers used this inertia to their advantage to make it seem like the entire world was waiting with baited breath for their releases.

hohoXD123

Manufactured hype is hype that isn't generated by gamers themselves, usually by publishers and press.

Yeah I'd go with this definition.

The hype for No Man's Sky doesn't look to be manufactured, a lot of gamers on here are going crazy over it. Evolve on the other hand pretty much came out of nowhere.

I don't know if I'd throw Watchdogs in with Titanfall. At least at its first reveal, people were genuinely hyped for the game.

Edit: ::raises fists in the air:: petghost!!!!!!

Rembrandt

Banned
"Manufactured Hype" could mean a number of things, but to me I think two games that were prototypes of this kind of marketing last gen were:

- Halo 3

- Modern Warfare 2

Both games were positioned as massive "culture events" before anyone had access to actually play the game to see whether or not they were good. Granted, both games had a lot of "natural hype" going for them since they were sequels to extremely well regarded games; and publishers used this inertia to their advantage to make it seem like the entire world was waiting with baited breath for their releases.

Halo 3 had the beta and it did just come off of a huge prior game. Same for MW2. Halo 2 and CoD4 were monsters titles, so it's only right the sequels were hyped. It's like GTA.

I don't know if I'd throw Watchdogs in with Titanfall. At least at its first reveal, people were genuinely hyped for the game.

People were genuinely hyped for titanfall, too?

DNAbro

It happens when people get excited about a game, and others don't know why those people are excited.

Basically " I don't care about X game so why does anyone else"

Hype created by a publisher, press, etc. Usually in order to make a game appear as bigger than it is to make it more appealing for potential buyers.

A great example will be the infamous Titanfall preview by IGN.

Dylan

Halo 3 had the beta and it did just come off of a huge prior game. Same for MW2. Halo 2 and CoD4 were monsters titles, so it's only right the sequels were hyped. It's like GTA.

Agreed. But both of those marketing campaigns were particularly massive, to the point where even people who don't play video games couldn't avoid the branding. Manufactured hype!

Manufactured hype is hype that isn't generated by gamers themselves, usually by publishers and press.

This. And both the press and gamers were really hyping Titanfall, I never understood why people were accusing that game of manufactured hype, although MS certainly were going a bit overboard with some quotes. It just happened to be short-lived once it finally released.

gngf123

I don't think No Man's Sky counts as manufactured hype. When it was announced during the VGX it took everyone by surprise and most people considered it just about the only good thing from that event. There was no major influence, no hype being built up by PR groups and game journalists, nothing. Just a trailer that everyone loved.

TrueGrime

I think Titanfall is the definition of manufacture hype. A week after the press reviews were out, I stopped hearing about the game.

Yeah, Titanfall matches that description.

I really liked the game, but IMO, most of the hype around it came from magazines and gaming sites, not from people in forums and whatnot.

Titanfall Beta impressions thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768827&highlight=titanfall+beta+begging&page=2

Titanfall Beta Begging thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767504&highlight=titanfall+beta+begging&page=21

If you want I could give you a dozen plethora of well-known gaming youtube personalities out there that enjoyed the beta immensely as well as (even though it was breaking NDA at the time) videos of people enjoying even the alpha version.

How can it be manufactured hype when there are, to this day, people enjoying the game and it isn't just the media trying to amp people up?

tokkun

On NeoGAF it means hype for a game series you don't like or for a tentpole game releasing on a console you don't like.

Titanfall

Manufactured hype oversold the game making it seem like a huge disappointment despite being decent.
At first the game seems awesome, by the last few months you just want them to shut up about it already.

Felt the same about Destiny until the Alpha.

Rembrandt

Banned
Agreed. But both of those marketing campaigns were particularly massive, to the point where even people who don't play video games couldn't avoid the branding. Manufactured hype!

Touche. I would say this is more manufactured hype than anything else.

Top Bottom