• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What exactly is manufactured hype?

OsirisBlack

Banned

Your last two links are kind of hurting your argument ...... the newest additions to titan fall have a combined total of 5 pages for two topics. One about new dc only has two pages and the other about the newest update has 3........ not much interest at all.

I believe it's a term some Gaffers came up with for a game they hate.

Does a gamer truly ever hate a good game? Why would they? This makes no sense at all ..... I thought the hype for Mario Kart 8 was manufactured until I went out and bought the game myself. I now play that and SMITE on pc more than anything on my XB1 or PS4. That does not mean I hated Mario Kart 8 it just means that I thought the game was being overhyped. It wasn't.

TrueGrime

Jim Sterling is a gamer, Escapist, Jimqusition, and ect is not a gamer. When the media(IGN/ect) and the people use work their, hype a game under the flag of that media group it is manufactured. When a person shows hype for a game it isnt manufactured, when the media does it, it's manufactured. If you cant tell the difference, I would suggest watching ESPN or your 24 hour news channel of choice.

So by your post you're saying:

If Jim Sterling hypes it up it's not manufactured?
If The Escapist (you didn't give a specific individual) hypes it up it's manufactured?

How is this hard to understand? You can be hyped for a game or a sports event or player, and the media can manufacture more hype for the game, sports event, or news. This doesnt mean you are not actually hyped for something, it just means that the media can manufacture hype around an event.

So, wouldn't that mean "hype" is in the eye of the beholder?

If it's something that you are looking forward to, then the hype is not manufactured, it's real.

If it's something that you aren't looking forward to, then the hype is not real, it's manufactured.

So actual hype cancels out manufactured hype? I liked Titanfall a lot... I was excited(hyped) for the game. IGN manufactured a lot of hype for the game.

When those articles are pretty comparable to what actual players were saying? Yeah kinda.

If a circlejerky IGN preview meant a game had "artificial hype" then every game would fall under having "artificial hype".

Rembrandt

Banned
Does a gamer truly ever hate a good game? Why would they? This makes no sense at all ..... I thought the hype for Mario Kart 8 was manufactured until I went out and bought the game myself. I now play that and SMITE on pc more than anything on my XB1 or PS4. That does not mean I hated Mario Kart 8 it just means that I thought the game was being overhyped. It wasn't.

Have you seen this site? lmao.

I'd boil it down to being the dissonance between hype in the press and hype among gamers.

It fits, but that seems really broad, though.

legacyzero

Banned
I don't personally think that anybody is manufacturing my hype for No Man's Sky but me. But yeah, for Titanfall, and Watch_Dogs, that sounds about right.

inm8num2

Manufactured hype comes from things like contracts, deals, quid pro quos, etc. Artificial labels or titles that don't directly showcase the quality or merits of the product.

Genuine hype is when people see or experience something, get excited, and spread their knowledge or opinions.

unbias

So by your post you're saying:

If Jim Sterling hypes it up it's not manufactured?
If The Escapist (you didn't give a specific individual) hypes it up it's manufactured?

If Jim is hyped about the next dynasty warriors that is actual hype, when the escapist(be it Jim or anyone else) pushes the game it is manufactured hype. How do you think penny stocks work? Why do you think it is illegal to drum up fears in the media to promote short selling? Manufactured hype is real.

AlucardGV

Banned
Jim Sterling is a gamer, Escapist, Jimqusition, and ect is not a gamer. When the media(IGN/ect) and the people use work their, hype a game under the flag of that media group it is manufactured. When a person shows hype for a game it isnt manufactured, when the media does it, it's manufactured. If you cant tell the difference, I would suggest watching ESPN or your 24 hour news channel of choice.

i see your point but i want to believe that Bosman is a gamer AND the final bosman is a gamer show.

Rocketz

To be fair, yes Watch_Dogs and Titanfall got a lot of hype from the gaming media and gamers before release, much more right before launch. When they did launch obviously some didn't like the games, thought they were manufactured hype.
No Mans Sky looks amazing but we are still a long ways away from it launching, still plenty of time for the hype train to get going. Not saying it will be bad at all, but as we get closer you launch day, the media just as with any other huge game, will be talking about this nonstop. It's going to be everywhere.

bebop242

If someone thinks Evolve is manufactured hype but No Man's Sky isn't, please explain, lol.

They both had reveals and were subsequent buried in praise. How are they different? I remember tons of people getting excited when they saw it at the end of E3, so I'm very confused by this statement.

I guess I just haven't seen the same level of interest here. At Evolve's reveal there was some excitement, but now there seems to be a lot of indifference towards it. No Man's Sky seems to have more interest, just more of a concern that they can pull the game off.

I'd almost argue Watchdogs suffers from manufactured hate.

KnaveX

Neo Member
How is that any different from normal marketing? It was a random quip from major nelson.

Like...what is artificial marketing.

I see artificial hype as the press' inflation of what is actually there. Sensationalist quotes and over the top marketing from within the objective media that ceases to resonate with the general perspective gamers have. The saturation of coverage that was fired our way endlessly before launch made it impossible to not know about the game, and thats fine, thats marketing. Yet the fact you barely here about it today has to make you question how much of that came from genuine interest of the gaming public and not the marketing machine.

Yep, Titanfall. When before release you have several new topics per weeks on some popular forums about how a title is the best new game ever you haven't played yet, is the new CoD and is going to revolutionnize gaming, and when several months after release nobody play the MP anymore, you may be allowed to ponder about manufactured hype. (*)

(*) This post is based on paranoia. Any similarity with fictitious events seen on this forum or elsewhere is purely coincidental.

Manufactured hype is hype that isn't generated by gamers themselves, usually by publishers and press.

This.

I am hearing Titanfall and Watchdogs get mentioned repeatedly. Titanfall is a perfect example.I don't know about watch_dogs though. I think a lot of gamers were genuinely hyped about the game based on its intial reveal and were disappointed because of how the game eventually turned out. The deception about what the game really is angered people and now they want to say bad things about it, like that its hype was manufactured, but the early sales numbers show that the hype was real.

unbias

So, wouldn't that mean "hype" is in the eye of the beholder?

If it's something that you are looking forward to, then the hype is not manufactured, it's real.

If it's something that you aren't looking forward to, then the hype is not real, it's manufactured.

No, it means that when the media hypes something it's manufactured vs when the individual does it. Whether you agree with the hype or not is not relevant. Why do you think game companies show CG trailers at E3? Or do advertising blitz's through IGN/Gamespot/GameInformer? To generate hype. Create hype about your game, manufactured. Almost all consumer products/events have manufactured hype, doesn't mean you are not allowed to enjoy that hype or agree with it. Manufactured hype isnt necessarily taboo, it just means be careful. "Getting caught up in the hype" is a pretty normally saying, and I think most understand it's meaning.

Rembrandt

Banned
Yep, Titanfall. When before release you have several new topics per weeks on popular forums about how a title is the best new game ever you haven't played yet, is the new CoD and is going to revolutionnize gaming, and when several months after release nobody play the MP anymore, you may be allowed to ponder about manufactured hype.

Literally just bought Titanfall earlier this month. managed to beat both campaigns and only had trouble with the last mission in the militia campaign, but that was instantly resolved after one match. Have you played Titanfall recently or are you just going off what other people have been saying about it?

Darknight

Titanfall, the praise from the "journalists" almost sounded like the game was the second coming of jesus. Gaming had Mario, CoD, Minecraft and the next big thing was to be Titanfall.

2508072-9468515322-eyeba.png

2508073-6280755998-belie.png

3 months after its release, no one talks about it anymore.

Pretty much. Titanfall was being hyped by the media/press aka being paid to sell it off as the game to "define" next gen. Bullshit. Reviews were so so, technically it didnt run that well on XB1 (the biggest 'next gen' titles runs at 792P? The fuck?), the CLOUD thing was PR bullshit as usual and the funniest thing is that it didnt move XB1 hardware. I mean the type of hype it was being generated by the media made it sound like the real "COD Killer" or Next Gen COD. It was not, it wasnt anything made out to be.

I think some hype got moving due to the whole its time exclusive to becoming console exclusive (1st game only) to MS's consoles in a matter of weeks or days, I dont recall. Everything else was just manufactured hype. This has nothing with console wars. I honestly blame EA and Respawn for throwing money on such a mediocre IP. Like if they really wanted TITANFALL to be as big as COD, it has to be multiplatform, period.

OsirisBlack

Banned
but following the reveal, with all of these articles and E3 awards, how is the hype not manufactured? It's not like the gameplay previews actually tell anything because literally nobody has an idea on how the game actually plays yet. we've had, what, two videos that just show flying/landing and whatnot? The game looks amazing and sounds amazing, but I would say a lot of the hype coming from it is because every time the game is mentioned on a site, it's unanimously positive, like Titanfall.

You should watch some of the gameplay from their booth on the twitch channel it actually looks quite interesting. Not sure it will have any longevity with only 3 monsters 12 hunters and 12 maps..... another monster is day 1 DLC and they are supposedly adding maps,hunters and monsters over time but ...... the 4 v 1 format is going to get repetitive once hunters figure out how to best deal with each monster.

http://www.twitch.tv/evolvegame

i see your point but i want to believe that Bosman is a gamer AND the final bosman is a gamer show.
The Final Bosman is actually a good example. Leading up to the launch of the PS4/XB1, Kyle wasn't allowed to mention the Wii U, unless that was just a running joke, but it seemed to go on too long for that. Not that the PS4/XB1 had manufactured hype, but you can see how hype is controlled there.

Rembrandt

Banned
You should watch some of the gameplay from their booth on the twitch channel it actually looks quite interesting. Not sure it will have any longevity with only 3 monsters 12 hunters and 12 maps..... another monster is day 1 DLC and they are supposedly adding maps,hunters and monsters over time but ...... the 4 v 1 format is going to get repetitive once hunters figure out how to best deal with each monster.

http://www.twitch.tv/evolvegame

I was talking about No Man's Sky. I've seen videos on Evolve. And nah, it's not. If L4D didn't get boring, I doubt this will.

The way I understood it, manufactured hype can be guessed at before lauch, but only determined post-mortem, for this specific reason:

Manufactured hype is when the hype is coming from select media outlets and publishers and viral marketers, giving the impression that the game will receive the same reception once it hits the general public, but when the game drops, the hype vaporizes into nothing.

Titanfall is a good example. I think SW The Old Republic MMO is an even better example.

Literally just bought Titanfall earlier this month. managed to beat both campaigns and only had trouble with the last mission in the militia campaign, but that was instantly resolved after one match. Have you played Titanfall recently or are you just going off what other people have been saying about it?

Just a little exageration, sorry. I was trying to show my point.

Goon Boon

Banned
When gaming industry/personalities/journalists are the ones parading one game as the greatest shit.

Most of the time it ends up failing miserably and the game's a 7/10 game that everyone forgets soon after.

AlucardGV

Banned
The Final Bosman is actually a good example. Leading up to the launch of the PS4/XB1, Kyle wasn't allowed to mention the Wii U, unless that was just a running joke, but it seemed to go on too long for that. Not that the PS4/XB1 had manufactured hype, but you can see how hype is controlled there.

well duh. thanks for crushing my beliefs!

OsirisBlack

Banned
I was talking about No Man's Sky. I've seen videos on Evolve. And nah, it's not. If L4D didn't get boring, I doubt this will.

Oh misunderstood sorry.... Yea I hope Evolve does not get repetitive as I am really interested in the game. As far as no mans sky I have not seen the same levels of Hype that surrounded Titan Fall. It is getting positive praise but I have not seen the whole ......."You must own this game" type of deal that TF had surrounding it.

I don't think hype is something that can be determined by one party alone, there is no hype is there is no consumer excitement about a game. If the marketing create excitement on the consumers, then the hype is real.

Hype is a constant positive feedback from different sources.
A publisher and a developer will always try to present their game the best they can, if they present it properly to the consumer and generate a positive feedback, then they are doing well their job. The same goes for the press. If the press transmits their excitement for the game to their readers and the readers believe, then they are doing well their job.

Constant positive feedback is just things working right. When the investment is bigger since better promotion reduces the risk. The more promotion you will get and more press and consumers will be involved.

harSon

Banned
Lol. Defining Titanfall's hype as manufactured is always amusing. It was the next game from the developers of Call of Duty, and people were hyped for it since it was unveiled at e3 last year. It's been playable since day 1 of its unveil, and people who played it had nothing but positive things to say about it. Did it have a major media blitz behind it? Yes, but so do all of Microsoft's tentpole games.

Manufactured hype would be Advent Rising.

I don't think hype is something that can be determined by one party alone, there is no hype is there is no consumer excitement about a game. If the marketing create excitement on the consumers, then the hype is real.

A publisher and a developer will always try to present their game the best they can, if they present it properly to the consumer and generate a positive feedback, then they are doing well their job. The same goes for the press. If the press transmits their excitement for the game to their readers and the readers believe, then they are doing well their job.

Constant positive feedback is just things working right. When the investment is bigger since better promotion reduces the risk. The more promotion you will get and more press and consumers will be involved.

I like this definition the best so far.

titanfall.

no one is even talking about it right now, but a year ago every games media was gushing all over it saying it'll be revolutionary or one of the best games ever made or some other bullshit.

you know it's manufactured hype when retailers misread the market and bought sooooo many titanfall xbone bundles that they had to take a loss and sell those at discounted prices. hint: because no one is gonna buy that bundle a few months after.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oh misunderstood sorry.... Yea I hope Evolve does not get repetitive as I am really interested in the game. As far as no mans sky I have not seen the same levels of Hype that surrounded Titan Fall. It is getting positive praise but I have not seen the whole ......."You must own this game" type of deal that TF had surrounding it.

I think Turtle Rock is pretty capable of pulling that off. I remember people were worried about L4D2, too, but that game was pretty great. Plus the beta is soon, iirc. true, I haven't seen any true hyperbolic comments about it besides for calling it the most ambitious game ever made, etc.

Lol. Defining Titanfall's hype as manufactured is always amusing. It was the next game from the developers of Call of Duty, and people were hyped for it since it was unveiled at e3 last year. It's been playable since day 1 of its unveil, and people who played it had nothing but positive things to say about it. Did it have a major media blitz behind it? Yes, but so do all of Microsoft's tentpole games.

Manufactured hype would be Advent Rising.

Idk why people keep forgetting that it wasn't just reporters hyping the game up. Tons of people got to actually play the game and were actually excited for it. I think the whole MS stigma attached to the game is what made this manufactured hype thing stretch.

Now that I think about it, Titanfall could be considered a mixture of both manufactured and real hype.

It may have been manufactured before the beta came out, but once it did everybody and their grandmother wanted to play it, so it became real.

unbias

Ya, but I think you are selling the media short if you dont think they have the power to generate hype that people buy into. I think ESPN and 24 hour news channels prove this almost every day.

Two games can have the same amount of genuine "hype" about them, but if one is over-shadowed by a torrential downpour of press attention, marketing campaigns, and what not it will be overshadowed by it's "manufactured hype."

Ultimately, or rather typically, a game's "manufactured hype" will disappear once the game has released. The level of interest on media sites will meet the level of interest with players, whether that is a decrease from the huge multi-million dollar ad campaign, or an increase from a rather ignored sleeper hit.

Top Bottom