• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst odds/difficulty in getting items in video games

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I still haven't gotten the Sword of Kings in Earthbound. After 3 hours I just put the game away and I've been to angry to pick it back up. :(
Sword of kings in earthbound

1/255 chance of dropping from 1/6 different enemy encounters in the Stonehenge dungeon. Luckily enemies are on screen so you can just search out the star man type ( which limits the different enemy encounters to two I believe). It being poo's only weapon means that I farm one EVERY single time I play through the game... Totally worth it each time, but such a pain...
Came to say this! I really did try long an hard one time to get the darn thing but it never was meant to be!

Zertez

Finding a Zod rune in Diablo 2 before they increased the drop rate was insane. You had better odds winning the lottery in real life than finding a Zod rune. It was duped a lot along with SoJ, so they werent too difficult to trade for, but having one drop for you was ridiculous.

bobawesome

Off topic but is Harmony of Despair worth playing if I want to mostly play alone? Even if I wanted to play online, is the current playerbase big?

I never played with a group of people but from what I hear, that's really what you want to do. It's definitely possible to solo the base game but you have to pray to the RNG gods that you'll get good equipment so you're adequately prepared for the bosses.

Falk

that puzzling face
Baron Rivendare's mount original droprate

edit: for those unfamiliar, it was something with a 0.02% droprate off the final boss of a 5-man dungeon in vanilla WoW.

Hm, I thought there was an item (cake?) that you could use which would take 1 hp of damage away from him if he stands on it. Since he moves so slow it takes a chunk of his health away. Maybe I am misremembering since it has been a few years since I played it.

I may be thinking of one of the other games, but it was either a curry or a cake power from the chef monster.

I remember using the same strategy for farming the soul out of that guy. Throw the curry/cake out and let him slowly walk over it as he continually took 1HP of damage.

In my experience, the pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls. I've never grinded so much.

I got 3 pure Bladestones. Sure, I did plenty of grinding, but it didn't seem as bad as many claim- or maybe I was just really lucky. The Souls series is my favorite series ever, though, so maybe it just didn't feel like tedious work for me- running through the SoS.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
XOQi5kw.jpg

Well over 300 runs before I got those damn Sonic Boots... Now the Fuma Gear on the other hand...

I'm pretty sure I lucked into the Sonic Boots fairly easily.

Now, the fucking Valmanway...fuuuuuuck. And don't even get me started on Valmanway +1. I've abandoned all hope of ever getting that.

360pages

Oh god I just gave up after 4 of them. Also sucks that you cannot make Trumpeter until you have all three fiends

Mother harlot is even worse considering she's the only fiend that you don't need to do the 1/256 thing to get...but she requires all the fiends to make anyway. Meaning if you did her quest without knowing about the other fiends you pretty much wasted your time.

I hated every moment of the hunt, it was honestly the worst part of the game for me.

Steel

Banned
Probably not the worst probability, but trying to get a falchion or a murakumo from the giant skeletons and small skeletons in Dark Souls at the beginning of the game is like pulling teeth. You can kill hundreds of the things and not get either.

I'm not sure it really compares to some of the others, but the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title were diamond relics in Knack. I played through the game twice opening all 68 chests each time and only had 1 out of 10. All totaled, I probably spent 200~ hours farming those fucking things.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Also, the worst is in games where you can infinitely reroll stats, and you get into a rhythm of rerolling trying to get a good roll, but then you end up getting TOO into the rhythm, get a good roll, then immediately reroll because you can't stop yourself in time. :lol

Pretty sure PSO:BB had a weapon that was a 1 in 7000 drop from a rare enemy that had a 1 in 200 chance of appearing that I got lucky and got first time I killed one.

It was easy to find a good weapon in Diablo 3. You just had to pay for it.

If Diablo 3 was a Valve game or Gaben was at Blizzard, I'd avatar quote you so hard right now.

Also, the worst is in games where you can infinitely reroll stats, and you get into a rhythm of rerolling trying to get a good roll, but then you end up getting TOO into the rhythm, get a good roll, then immediately reroll because you can't stop yourself in time. :lol

I spent dozens of hours in Persona 3 FES trying to create Persona with perfect skill sets and fucking up by re-rolling when I had what I wanted since I'd been doing that for so long.

360pages

Oh, and Final Fantasy 4 Pink Tails, getting one wasn't too bad, but getting enough for everyone especially in the GBA version where all characters are playable post game was annoying as hell.

Final Fantasy XI drop rates. I know its an MMO but wow.

A monster that is an open to anyone spawn.
Spawns once a day.
Has a three hour window of when it will spawn.
Once a week the ultra rare version will spawn.
A one in like 70 chance of claiming it if it does.
And if you do, a 1/1500 chance of dropping that certain item you want because the game only drops a certain amount, while having a loot pool to choose from 2x that size.

The drop rates finally made me give this game up. Great game, but man if you actually tried to hard to get some endgame items you literally had no life.

Oh and Dynamis... a zone with like 500 monsters, a drop table of about what... 16-20 items people want... and three. THREE items drop in a timed event that you have to pay a shit ton of money to even get into, AND its restricted to two times a week, AND only one group can go in at a time because its not an instance....

Oh and lets not even get started on relic weapons.... those people were nuts for even doing that mess. A solid 2 years of dedicated play time to get one fucking weapon that was not even that amazing or good looking in most cases.

Supposedly this kind of stuff was patched down eventually when the populations took more of a dive but...

Loved the game.

But F all of that.

Unusual hats in Team Fortress 2. They have only a 0.66% of being received when you open a crate; that is about a 1-in-150 chance, and crates cost $2.50 to open!
I had to open like six crates before I got one.

Xerotwo

XOQi5kw.jpg

Well over 300 runs before I got those damn Sonic Boots... Now the Fuma Gear on the other hand...

Now I wonder if there's still a dedicated group on either/both consoles.

Those damn sonic boots was a pain to get, especially if the whole team gets wiped by Count Wakamoto.

GSR

Fool cards in Persona 2.

You need to find a demon with the "fool" trait (not awfully rare, but rules out a decent amount of demons), it needs to start talking to you (low chance at the start of the battle), then you need to respond to its questions in an alternating pattern of making it eager or angry (some questions have no answers with guaranteed results), and then finally there's a very small chance it'll ask you a special question which, if answered right, gives you 1 Fool card.

The best part is that - at least from what I've seen - nobody's even sure if this is totally correct. People say some of the conditions above don't necessarily need to be met, but nobody's certain. All anyone can agree on is that it's ridiculously rare, and barely hinted at in the game proper.

Rhete

Banned
PSO definitely.

In the Gamecube version, Sealed J-Sword was a 1 in 12,604 drop from a mini-boss (Gi-Gue) so you'd only get 1 shot in a normal stage run.

Meffer

I remember getting materials to make the Ultima Blade in Kingdom Hearts years back. But the hardest and longest part for me was encountering White Truffles. They only appear at certain areas and even then are rare. Then once you do, you have to play some weird game of Simon Says but with magic with them. Then once you succeeded, you MAY get the material you want from them. Then you have to do it again.....

Sushi Nao

Getting the Iron Golem soul in Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow.

016.jpg

This lil'bugger takes only 1 hp of damage per hit, even if you're at an insanely high level, and his Soul is super rare.

Oh god, this guy! I ended up using the Une (little plant soul) because it hit so many times in succession.

The worst is when you get the muscle memory of quickly leaving the room too ingrained, and leave as you notice an item is dropping.

Jabba

Banned
Psychowand, pso blue burst. 21-22 mil lillies a day or more for a straight month and a half and no fucking wand. I quit scthack server after that.

XOQi5kw.jpg

This right here. You could say that for any rare item in the game though. My friend quit because he just couldn't get the Valmanway+1, and he was trying for almost a month. I got it instead and I already had one equipped...

klee123

White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2.

Not only the top Armor and Weapons required insanely rare materials to make (0.5% drop rate), they also required insanely rare items to upgrade as well.

Stone of jordan in diablo 2. Granted they are easy to obtain now through other means, but in 14 years of playing, I've never seen one drop.

Silvawuff

Harmony of Despair sounds like a fitting title.

My personal vote is for early Dynamis drops in Final Fantasy XI. Some armor drops were so rare we'd see them once a year, maybe, running several times a week.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
If there is one thing I know about Japanese game developers it's that they Looooove having their games have stupidly rare drop rates for anything half decent. FF12, Monster hunter, Demon Souls, etc..

Can I put Pokemon on that list too? technically Pokemon aren't items, but getting a shiny legit in the wild is horse shit. I've ran into TWO since I first played Gold and all the way up to Y. Fucking lunacy man!

joecanada

Any F2p basically. Love warframe but you can farm one part for 10 hours... No thanks I just get what I get and trade for gear

PyroYuy

Neo Member
Perfect iv, shiny and with the nature you want. So... Let's see getting a pokemon with perfect iv spread is 1/31^6 chance of encountering a wild shiny is 1/4096 and there are 25 nature's... On top of that suck salsa some pokemon have a 1% encounter rate, some females have 18.25% availability, and then they might have two abilities (not counting hidden because those require special things).

I'm too drunk to do the math right now, but I think that's up there.

The Baron's mount in WoW. I got solo'ing Strat down to an artform (this was during TBC), and DID finally get it, though I quit playing shortly after so I'm not sure if it had been patched or anything.

I'd say it probably took about 300 runs, with each one taking a decent chunk of time...

Stoze

I played 140 hours of Diablo 3 pre-big patches, and I never had a single set piece or unique drop. I think I ended up buying a shitty one from the AH before I quit playing just so I could have one.

Toxi

Banned
Lucky Egg, Pokemon Firered and Leafgreen.

The Lucky Egg is found only on wild Chansey.

In area 3 of the Safari Zone, Chansey has a 4% encounter rate.

A Chansey has 5% chance of holding a Lucky Egg, meaning 1 out of every 500 wild encounters.

And you have to catch that Chansey with Safari Balls before it runs away.

Thank Christ that later games just gave you the Lucky Egg.

In Baldur's Gate you get a useless item called the Golden Pantaloons. Now if you kept them and carried them through the entire first game in your inventory (which is bloody hard coz of space), finished the game and then imported your character into Baldur's Gate 2 AND then play a large chunk of the second game, you MAY come across a side mission which you can complete to get another set of pantaloons, which you then take them both to someone else to fashion a crazy suit of armour for you.

FF11 had some absurd drop rates.
Ahahaha yes. I recall one thing so painful that I remember the exact details of it to this day--

2-5% drop rate on something that was a random selection after 72 hours on something that only spawns once every 21-24 hours that numerous groups would fight for every day. A list of people with the item that you could count on one hand on any given server even years into the game. Sad (saddest?) part being that it was almost legitimately worth the effort since it would turn your Linkshell's main tank into Jesus. Screw you King Behemoth.

The objective statistical output was ~1.2-1.8 drops per year per server.
Had nothing on Defending Ring, but still so awful! ~1-3% drop on a single 24-hour spawn.

Saro

Monster Hunter in a nutshell. Damn Abyssial lagi.

Megaman X Command Mission has a 3% drop rate for the x-buster mrkIII. I have never gotten the damn part :(

JediLink

This isn't numerically that low, but my own personal impossible drop is the Balder Side Sword in Dark Souls. I played that game for over 100 hours. I grinded for it. I still have yet to actually get one.
Duuuuuuude, you're missing out. The BSS is the shit.

I actually have three of them on one character (Normal, Fire and Lighting), and on another of my characters I got one just playing normally with no farming before even beating the gargoyles.

Top Bottom