• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst odds/difficulty in getting items in video games

I remember that there was a rare drop in FFIV DS that you needed to complete a game-long sidequest. I think it was like 0.4% or something like that. I was so happy when I finally got it.

Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

His evidence gathering is dependent on the team composition of your opponent, so if you happen to get matched against a team that's really bad for your evidence, you will die every single round before you have a chance to get 3 good pieces of evidence. It's freaking difficult to get items when there's stuff flying all over the place too!
GhtEFl8.jpg

Huh? The evidence you gather is random (well, in the practical sense, at least). It's completely independent of what the other team is.

Ahahaha yes. I recall one thing so painful that I remember the exact details of it to this day--

2-5% drop rate on something that was a random selection after 72 hours on something that only spawns once every 21-24 hours that numerous groups would fight for every day. A list of people with the item that you could count on one hand on any given server even years into the game. Sad (saddest?) part being that it was almost legitimately worth the effort since it would turn your Linkshell's main tank into Jesus. Screw you King Behemoth.

The objective statistical output was ~1.2-1.8 drops per year per server.

Had nothing on Defending Ring, but still so awful! ~1-3% drop on a single 24-hour spawn.

Good point lol. I think I only ever saw 2 or 3 D. Rings and that was over the span of several years. Only ever saw one drop in person as well and our #1 tank wasn't even online for it, so damn painful. That definitely has to be one of the most obscure items in a game ever. Some servers could go ridiculous amounts of time without ever seeing one drop.

Odin's Gungnir in Final Fantasy 3 DS.

If I remember correctly, he can be fought around mid-game. Around the time when you're level ~35. Odin has a 2% chance of dropping Gungnir, one of the most powerful weapons in the game. Problem is, there are no save points in dungeons. If he fails to drop it, you have to reset and go through the dungeon again to get another shot at fighting him. It can be easy to get worn down before making it back to him, and Odin is a decent threat

Alternately, if you somehow manage to have a thief with a class level of at least 71 at that point, you can attempt to steal it from him with varying success.

Xenoblade Chronicles is guilty, I love the game, but it has some dumb designs:

You have a very low chance of getting some. At least there was NPCs who would trade them to you.

If you beat a unique monster before getting the quest to beat it, it would sometimes be a very tedious process (exit area, reenter) to have it regenerate.

Top Bottom