• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends |OT2| We Promise Nothing and Deliver Less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wii U. I'm a huge Platinum fan but I don't have a Wii U. I assume the same goes for a lot of people.

And that's why its so disappointing. If only the Wii U sold better.

okay that part with the drill is
LITERALLY a scene in Gurren Lagann, the fight with Lordgenome

I've told everyone I know that Wonderful 101 is the Gurren Lagann of video games. There's no simpler way to describe it.

Altairre

So no full playthrough of W101 huh? That's kind of disappointing. I did my part and bought the game but I still would have liked to see them go through it. Oh well.

So I've finally started to pick P3 back up and it feels dang good.
Before, I said that Fuuka was lifeless in jp, but now when she's analyzing battles she goes nuts with hype, really surprised by how energetic she is.
And Junpei just went Oraoraoraoraora during an all out attack. Mmm

I've told everyone I know that Wonderful 101 is the Gurren Lagann of video games. There's no simpler way to describe it.
I suppose. Gurren Lagann only really comes to mind with this game when it comes to serial escalation (and by that logic, GaoGaiGar, which was 10 years prior). As far as themes and imagery used however, drills aren't exclusive to GL, and the Geathjerk are
a combination of the villains from Zambot 3 and the villains' motivations in Getter Robo.
Hell, even the name of Prince Vorkenn's crew is taken straight from the villains in Zambot 3, only spelled slightly different).

Best way I describe it is a Super Sentai homage that turns into a hybrid of Super Sentai and Super Robots. And given Platinum's slight homages and references to old school anime, I don't find it too hard to believe. And I fucking love it.

I suppose. Gurren Lagann only really comes to mind with this game when it comes to serial escalation (and by that logic, GaoGaiGar, which was 10 years prior). As far as themes and imagery used however, drills aren't exclusive to GL, and the Geathjerk are
a combination of the villains from Zambot 3 and the villains' motivations in Getter Robo.

Best way I describe it is a Super Sentai homage that turns into a hybrid of Super Sentai and Getter Robo. And given Platinum's slight homages and references to old school anime, I don't find it too hard to believe. And I fucking love it.

I said simpler, not better lol. I'm way sure your way to describe it is a lot better, but for people that don't know what Super Sentai/Getter Robo are, Gurren Lagann is a decent enough way since a lot of people know what that is.

So I've finally started to pick P3 back up and it feels dang good.
Before, I said that Fuuka was lifeless in jp, but now when she's analyzing battles she goes nuts with hype, really surprised by how energetic she is.
And Junpei just went Oraoraoraoraora during an all out attack. Mmm

Nice. You playing FES or Portable? If you're playing FES then don't use Mitsuru.

You stand up.

Turn around.

Go to a store.

Buy The Wonderful 101 (and a Wii U if you don't have one).

Play the game.

THEN come back.

I will soon enough.

I just came back from watching Guardians of the Galaxy. Great film. Funnier than I expected it to be. Lots of feels too. And believe it or not, Bautista didn't fucking suck either.

inb4 WHO!!!!!!??????

Mr.Towel

I just came back from watching Guardians of the Galaxy. Great film. Funnier than I expected it to be. Lots of feels too. And believe it or not, Bautista didn't fucking suck either.

inb4 WHO!!!!!!??????

I was legit surprised I laughed at a lot of Bautista's lines. You can tell he doesn't have a lot of acting range but they gave him a lot to work with in that limited scope. It was mostly him being angry or laughing at extreme violence. His stoic delivers made the some of the lines a lot funnier.

Village

inb4 WHO!!!!!!??????
Not hard to belive , batistia is alright. He tries his best.

I really need to get back into P3. I stopped playing (FES) it because I played so much I burnt out, but never went back to it. In the mean time P4A and P4AU have happened and I've over time heard quite a handful of major spoilers. It is pretty hard after all to avoid people talking about playable character speculations for a fighting game. Anyway I picked up P3P because it was £10 in a PSN sale and I wanted to actually finish the game, plus party control. I don't want to experience the horrors of Marin Fucking Karin again. Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey.

I also picked up Persona 2 IS. Though I'm not going to play it until I get Persona 1. I played Persona 4 before 3
and I missed the reference to them going to the school in P3 and all the P3 references.
I don't want to do that with P1 aha.

Edit:
Oh shit GotG is out now isn't it? I'm going go tomorrow with my girlfriend.

I also picked up Persona 2 IS. Though I'm not going to play it until I get Persona 1. I played Persona 4 before 3
and I missed the reference to them going to the school in P3 and all the P3 references.
I don't want to do that with P1 aha.

Good. Its kind of essential to play P1 before P2 because there are a lot of callbacks in the game.

Good. Its kind of essential to play P1 before P2 because there are a lot of callbacks in the game.
That is what I've been told so I'm holding off. Seeing as Atlus published Persona 1 here, I have no idea if it'll go on sale. I say that because for a large period of time it was £4 and now it isn't £4 I'm kicking myself because I had so much time. I'll be damned if I have to pay £8. Sales on games really changes your rationality to how much you'd spend on something.

You stand up.

Turn around.

Go to a store.

Buy The Wonderful 101 (and a Wii U if you don't have one).

Play the game.

THEN come back.

What if I don't have any money....

Kinda hard to do that, but that video made the wait so fucking hard. Damn Wonderful 101 is the hypest thing ever.

That is what I've been told so I'm holding off. Seeing as Atlus published Persona 1 here, I have no idea if it'll go on sale. I say that because for a large period of time it was £4 and now it isn't £4 I'm kicking myself because I had so much time. I'll be damned if I have to pay £8. Sales on games really changes your rationality to how much you'd spend on something.

Its gone on sale a lot of times. I'm sure it'll be on sale again.

P1 is garbage, you're better of skipping it and just reading a synopsis of the events.

Nah. Its outdated, but its not garbage. Honestly, certain things hold up better in P1 then they do in P2.

Hah FES, and she's been great for normal battles, though I can imagine the fun times during boss fights

Consider yourself lucky. Too many people have died at the hands of this girl.
MARIN FUCKING KARIN

inb4 WHO!!!!!!??????

Is it good enough that it's worth breaking a 'no theater' rule? Money has been kinda tight, so sparing my wallet from regular theater excursions has been necessary, but I try to make exceptions for really good films.

Not very good timing on the W101 video for me, personally. I'm in the middle of yet another fresh playthrough so just watching it being played doesn't do it for me at the moment. Though a montage of reactions to the game's highlights was a pretty good video idea and I think does the game justice. Although... [VIDEO SPOILERS]
cutting out the middle of the final QTE sequence was just bad. It wasn't long enough to necessitate cutting out a couple of good visual gags that help make the sequence memorable. I know it's just pointless bitching about a dumb internet video, but eh. Bad call, imo. Singing the Hero March, though? Brilliant.

Nice. You playing FES or Portable? If you're playing FES then don't use Mitsuru.

She's not that bad, she also does by far the highest amount of damage in boss fights.

The worst habit the AI has is that even when like 4/5 enemies all have the same weakness and they're all you're facing, they will still use single target spells and waste shitloads of mana and time taking them down one by one. I've been reduced to tears while Mitsuru takes down 5 enemies one by one with Bufudyne and wastes 100 mana for one simple fight I could've won by using Mabufu once.

I would quote you Pompadour but I don't want to get spoiled on W101.

Anyway, if you got the time, yeah the film is completely worth the admission fee. Opening night meant that every theater near me only sold those expensive 3D showings but even then the film made up for it. Probably the best Marvel film I seen after Winter Soldier.

if the camera was how it was during the
boss fight with Blue
maybe I would have given the game more of a chance, pre ordered it and all that jazz, have tried 4 times now, but I guess its just not my thing

Anyway, if you got the time, yeah the film is completely worth the admission fee. Opening night meant that every theater near me only sold those expensive 3D showings but even then the film made up for it. Probably the best Marvel film I seen after Winter Soldier.

Sorry for the spoilers, but thanks for the recommendation. Mentioning it in the same sentence as Winter Soldier is good enough for me.

Mr.Towel

I still think Winter Soldier is the better movie, but Guardians was such a big fun scifi romp. Also: that after the credit sequence. It wasn't mind-blowing but it fit the rest of the movie perfectly.

Basically: Winter Soldier > Guardians of the Galaxy > Avengers

Old King Allant is defeated, and the my NG as a Barbarian has reached its conclusion in Demon's Souls. Unfortunately I didn't defeat Doran and couldn't get his ring (still fought long enough to get Demonbrandt), but whatever. Like Maneater, Allant only took me two tries to defeat. I suffered enough defeat and a couple soul suckings from him to know how to get past his shit.

Also this went WAY fucking faster than my first playthroughs of this or Dark. Like, less than 20 hours. It's amazing to look back at the experience you've gained as a player with these games.

So, its been 5 years or so since I last watched TTGL. I am now re-watching it and I realize something. I completely forgot how fucking awesome this show is.
I would say how could you forget something that good, but then I remember I had forgotten how good other anime was until watching it again years later (Excel Saga springs to mind).

JoJo94

Guys...guys...the most adorable snake ever http://goodsmile-global.ecq.sc/top/gscnenwd00447.html

Old King Allant is defeated, and the my NG as a Barbarian has reached its conclusion in Demon's Souls. Unfortunately I didn't defeat Doran and couldn't get his ring (still fought long enough to get Demonbrandt), but whatever. Like Maneater, Allant only took me two tries to defeat. I suffered enough defeat and a couple soul suckings from him to know how to get past his shit..

Even though I have only played Dark 2 going from a 50 hour save and getting halfway through to a 10-20 hour save and reaching the same point felt amazing and actually made me feel like wow I got gud at this.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Got back from Guardians of the Galaxy
*sees Pat and Woolie playing The Wonderful 101*

This night got even better.

I wish you guys did a full playthrough though... a fresh new game showing the cutscenes that New Game Plus/Level Replays skip over.

I finally kill Kalamet with the Great Club, and what's my reward.

Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith time.

Fuck. Time to start another Dex route.

Wonderful 101 playthrough?!

1359660779_tumblr_lbup0tSggN1qaeyn1o1_500.gif

I've been waiting for this one for a while.

IronLich

HOLY. SHIT.

I expected something like Mortal Kombat vs DC, or Superman 64, something way more infamous (but NOT Infamous) for a finale...

...but never did I expect to see what was essentially a full playthrough of W101 by the Zaibatsu. I have no Wii U in hand, but I don't care. These guys do this game more wonderfully than I ever could, so it's all good.

Bravo to all, but I wish ALL the Best Friends were present for the finale. It's really sweet that it's Matt's first time seeing the ending. That really feels magical.

You know, before I continue with NG+ in Demon's Souls, I'm gonna load up Dark Souls for the first time in a long ass time to try out the Deprived Class briefly, as well as confirm something for myself, and that is the damage system and other barely visible details about controlling the character. Going full melee in Demon's made me take especially good notice of the fact that hitting enemies when mid attack animation or in stun lock does significantly more damage, and I don't recall the damage in Dark Souls ever working as much to the same effect.

Well, time to find out tonight.

BY2K

Membero Americo
No matter how many times I see it, I always lose my shit when
Vorkken's ship pulls the zandatsu.

As happy as I was to see the Wonderful 101 playthrough we all wanted, I think Woolie and Pat really hyped us up too much at the start. The second half of the video felt flaccid compared to the two of them!

Plus you don't bring all four together at the end? Come on!

Still a fantastic video though.

Mesoian

I still think Winter Soldier is the better movie, but Guardians was such a big fun scifi romp. Also: that after the credit sequence. It wasn't mind-blowing but it fit the rest of the movie perfectly.

Basically: Winter Soldier > Guardians of the Galaxy > Avengers

That post credit sequence was a love letter to comic fans. It was perfect.

I was expecting Cosmo to talk

As happy as I was to see the Wonderful 101 playthrough we all wanted, I think Woolie and Pat really hyped us up too much at the start. The second half of the video felt flaccid compared to the two of them!

Plus you don't bring all four together at the end? Come on!

Still a fantastic video though.

Hot damn that singing though

the great thing about having a selective memory is i can choose to forget all the spoilers when i play the game later this year(getting a WiiU around November or December)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom