• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends |OT2| We Promise Nothing and Deliver Less

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimmiq

Hate to say it, but I don't get the hype with Wonderful 101 after watching about half of the finale. Pat hyping up a turret sequence despite repeatedly shitting on them every time they get mentioned in any other game.

Hate to say it, but I don't get the hype with Wonderful 101 after watching about half of the finale. Pat hyping up a turret sequence despite repeatedly shitting on them every time they get mentioned in any other game.

It's the context of using the sequence. It's not a level, it's not a stage, it's the opening to a bombastic boss fight. And it uses established controls to lead into controlling the Victory.

It comes back to the sense of scale Vita talks about in the later half, the first sequence is an intrepid group of heroes piloting an airship against a massive three-headed dragon in the skies of a city. The final turret sequence is in a giant fucking robot in space firing a wave-motion cannon at an enemy armada. Same with using robots to Punch-Out each other.

grimmiq

It's the context of using the sequence. It's not a level, it's not a stage, it's the opening to a bombastic boss fight. And it uses established controls to lead into controlling the Victory.

It comes back to the sense of scale Vita talks about in the later half, the first sequence is an intrepid group of heroes piloting an airship against a massive three-headed dragon in the skies of a city. The final turret sequence is in a giant fucking robot in space firing a wave-motion cannon at an enemy armada. Same with using robots to Punch-Out each other.

So I guess it's less what the mechanics are and more how Kamiya weaves those mechanics into the experience of W101 as a whole?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Just got done watching the W101 video, feels, that last part of the game, still as amazing as ever holy shit

So I guess it's less what the mechanics are and more how Kamiya weaves those mechanics into the experience of W101 as a whole?

Yeah. To bring it back to the Gurren Lagann comparison, both use previously established scenes/themes to reinforce the story/gameplay at that current point to build the excitement and energy at a near constant rate. The energy spirals into itself to generate more over the course of hours.

Cutting the video down to less than two hours really curtails that experience, which is kind of disappointing for people who have never played the game to witness first. It's going to motivate people to reconsider the title and maybe even the Wii U, but it's also going to do the opposite to some as well because of it's limited scope.

I have the opposite problem in that I will remember every spoiler I see forever.

Same here. Yet I always manage to forget the most basic stuff on my exams ._.

Just got done watching the W101 video, feels, that last part of the game, still as amazing as ever holy shit

Its been a long time since a game made me really emotional at the end until I played W101. I was the same way at the end of Gurren Lagann and Code Geass.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
HOLY. SHIT.

I expected something like Mortal Kombat vs DC, or Superman 64, something way more infamous (but NOT Infamous) for a finale...

...but never did I expect to see what was essentially a full playthrough of W101 by the Zaibatsu. I have no Wii U in hand, but I don't care. These guys do this game more wonderfully than I ever could, so it's all good.

Bravo to all, but I wish ALL the Best Friends were present for the finale. It's really sweet that it's Matt's first time seeing the ending. That really feels magical.
Y u dun got WiiU, go get 1 and W101

ChipotIe

Banned
Currently watching the ASF finale of W101 and I have to ask.... is platinum star and star platinum a cooncidence? Kamiya is not above wearing his inspirations on his sleeve so I gotta know.

grimmiq

Yeah. To bring it back to the Gurren Lagann comparison, both use previously established scenes/themes to reinforce the story/gameplay at that current point to build the excitement and energy at a near constant rate. The energy spirals into itself to generate more over the course of hours.

Cutting the video down to less than two hours really curtails that experience, which is kind of disappointing for people who have never played the game to witness first. It's going to motivate people to reconsider the title and maybe even the Wii U, but it's also going to do the opposite to some as well because of it's limited scope.

Fair enough, if I had a Wii U I would probably buy it to be able to form my own impression, it seems batshit crazy so even watching a full LP of it probably wouldn't be enough to do that and would do more harm than good. I'll keep an eye out for Wii U's on sale or buy my brother's if he gets bored of it.

I have the opposite problem in that I will remember every spoiler I see forever.

Same, it's annoying because It sometimes fades away after a couple months, but when I start thinking about the game/ series again "I'm finally gunna get started on X! hey wait, I'm trying to remember something... oh..."

And it's lame because it's very easy to extrapolate tons of stuff from tiny spoilers, even things like "It has a sad ending" or a "happy ending". So everything is a spoiler in essence. Nothing is safe.

But on the flipside I forget what I had for dinner 2 nights ago

Fair enough, if I had a Wii U I would probably buy it to be able to form my own impression, it seems batshit crazy so even watching a full LP of it probably wouldn't be enough to do that and would do more harm than good. I'll keep an eye out for Wii U's on sale or buy my brother's if he gets bored of it.

There's a learning curve and design choices that can make it very difficult to enjoy for quite a bit of people, so be aware of the possibility that it could be a game that doesn't play well for you.

Same, it's annoying because It sometimes fades away after a couple months, but when I start thinking about the game/ series again "I'm finally gunna get started on X! hey wait, I'm trying to remember something... oh..."

And it's lame because it's very easy to extrapolate tons of stuff from tiny spoilers, even things like "It has a sad ending" or a "happy ending". So everything is a spoiler in essence. Nothing is safe.

But on the flipside I forget what I had for dinner 2 nights ago

bing gaming helps
then that information gets replaced by newer information

I went to buy Sakura Spirit on Steam, and I found out that CrackPebbles and GuardianE both have it.

Shame on you both, I expected more from you. Don't sink to my level.

bing gaming helps
then that information gets replaced by newer information

I wish, it's worse in that respect because I can't really play too much at a time, so I'll get like an hour or 2 a day.
And if I know a spoiler for endgame(but I don't know it's endgame), that means everyday I'll be playing thinking, "when is X gunna happen, how's it gunna happen, why's it gunna happen, why did I read that spoiler"

I can try playing a new game, but I'll just end up remembering the spoiler when I boot the old game back up.

This was really bad for Game of Thrones, where I read a comment on something where someone said 'X dies!"
And thus for like 2 years/ seasons I watched, expecting the character to die every episode.
End of season 4, they're not dead yet, and I just went 'flub it, I can't take it anymore' and I look it up. They never died, the comment was a fake spoiler. Up yours internet.

The one situation where spoilers have not hurt something for my is Metal Gear Solid 4, where I got a huge spoiler, then another huge spoiler that contradicted that other one, then another that was so weird and crazy that I questioned the validity of both spoilers. And now I have no actual clue what happens in that game.

I played all the Metal Gear Solid games for the first time a couple years back, then immediately bought a PS3 for 4, then never finished it. Still, to this day, have no finished it.

Why are there so many of us in this thread?
Better to have us all here rather than ruining a million other places.

Anyway, played up to beating Taurus Demon in Dark Souls as a Deprived. From what I could figure out, it seems like extra damage from hitting enemies in stun is about the same as Demon's, but it's the extra damage during attack animations that seem to be completely absent. Unfortunate. Though not as unfortunate as how fucking slow sprinting feels compared to Demon's. For some reason when I started Demon's earlier this year I did not realize how much faster sprinting was, but now it's super noticeable.

Demon's Souls, still the best Souls game. I'd like to continue my Depraved run in Dark, but I've yet to complete an NG+ run in Demon's so that's what I'll do next.

MarkusRJR

Is there an archive of the Pokemon Nuzlocke stream? I was working when they streamed but I have tomorrow off to finally watch it.

Is there an archive of the Pokemon Nuzlocke stream? I was working when they streamed but I have tomorrow off to finally watch it.

Not yet but they said on the podcast they are working on it. Probably just editing out all the boring parts and leaving all the hype moments.

Sometimes spoilers have helped, like when I'm really on the fence about watching a series I'll read some spoilery comments to see if something cool happens.

The problem with that was when I read such comments about what I thought was Persona 4 regarding Ken, then I found out Ken was in Persona 3, and then 'oh...'

And yeah, I've been spoiled on a couple big things on MGS4, though nothing that wasn't heavily implied in the trailers atleast. Still haven't played it either.

Better to have us all here rather than ruining a million other places.

Anyway, played up to beating Taurus Demon in Dark Souls as a Deprived. From what I could figure out, it seems like extra damage from hitting enemies in stun is about the same as Demon's, but it's the extra damage during attack animations that seem to be completely absent. Unfortunate. Though not as unfortunate as how fucking slow sprinting feels compared to Demon's. For some reason when I started Demon's earlier this year I did not realize how much faster sprinting was, but now it's super noticeable.

Demon's Souls, still the best Souls game. I'd like to continue my Depraved run in Dark, but I've yet to complete an NG+ run in Demon's so that's what I'll do next.

Deprived runs are so odd. I feel so completely overpowered in the beginning, because Strike weapons destroy the word, and the Club is very not terrible. And the counter attack damage is there, just very inconsistent. I don't worry about it, because it's not very important.

And while I won't say anything about your preferences on Demon's Souls, I do like it the least. The game is brilliant, but I felt the successors built on a not fully realized product, and took it to the top.

I should buy sakura spirit

Goddamn do I want that game.

Why are there so many of us in this thread?

I don't even like VNs, and I want Sakura Spirit. What is it about that game?

Squishy3

so Quintin Flyn voiced the villain in Wonderful 101

did not know this
Next you'll tell me you didn't know Wonder Yellow who you'd best know as the voice of the following characters: Boris from Metal Gear Rising, Ryotara Dojima and Taro Namatame from P4, El Fuerte from SF4, Zinyak from Saints Row IV, and Dr. Vargas from
Knack.

Alfebit

Banned
I don't even like VNs, and I want Sakura Spirit. What is it about that game?

I wonder...
1715387686_SakuraSpirit_s.png

Hey, they added that weird blushing thing to their boobs. Whoever it was who pointed out the blushing thing, now I cannot unsee it. Other than the ecchi, how is Sakurai Spirit? Are the story/characters any good?

Hey, they added that weird blushing thing to their boobs. Whoever it was who pointed out the blushing thing, now I cannot unsee it. Other than the ecchi, how is Sakurai Spirit? Are the story/characters any good?

What do you think

Just look at it.

And feel the shame for asking that question.

Shame on you.

apparently it's really horribly written and riddled with typos and the like, though really you should expect as much from something with a cover like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom