• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Blade Runner (Did not like it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantona222

I've just watched Blade Runner for the first time. Maybe I was hyped and that is why I did not like the movie. The movie is boring. I liked Terminator & Star Wars and other old Sci Fi movies so I thought I would like Blade Runner, but I was wrong.

So does everybody agree that the movie does not hold up or is it just me?

Blade_Runner_poster.jpg

It holds up. It's much more likely that it just didn't meet your expectations.

What do you think it lacked? Blade Runner is not at all meant to be like the movies you mentioned.

MormaPope

Banned
I've just watched Blade Runner for the first time. Maybe I was hyped and that is why I did not like the movie. The movie is boring. I liked Terminator & Star Wars and other old Sci Fi movies so I thought I would like Blade Runner, but I was wrong.

Blade_Runner_poster.jpg

Has nothing to do with holding up, you simply didn't like the movie.

I love the soundtrack and look of Blade Runner, but its pretty damn boring. Conceptually the movie is awesome, the motives of the characters are awesome, but the pacing is plodding. Like, its an awesome movie to look at, but I'm not that immersed that every interaction inside the world wows me.

EDIT: I hope some people can accept that there are real human beings that don't like Blade Runner that much. I've seen people in my own life get really defensive really quickly.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
It's an overhyped very boring movie. The only redeeming quality to me is that it's the only movie that will get me to sleep with a 100% chance; oh, and the music is incredible.

ciD_Vain

I was bored out of my mind the first time I watched it... Then I re-watched it years later and loved it. Not sure what I saw differently but I guess you could say it clicked with me the second time around.

TheYanger

Blade_Runner_poster.jpg

No, it isn't an action movie like the other things you mentioned if that's what you mean. "old" has nothing to do with anything, Terminator and Star Wars are simply action movies with sci fi theming, where Blade Runner is closer to what actual 'hard' science fiction is about. Bonus points if someone can find a Party Down gif that fits this.

ajpw

didnt like it the first time when i was like 15

watched it more recently and boy was my younger self a goddamn moron

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I've seen opinion thread such as these. All these threads will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

HORRORSHØW

it's more cerebral than terminator and star wars. maybe you were expecting non-stop action. it's a slow-burn tech noir film that asks interesting questions, namely, what it means to be human and the ethical responsibilities of genetic engineering. religious symbolism is also prevalent throughout the film, even if it's understated. its usage in tandem with the replicants offers a schism that mirrors the lucifer/god relationship. there is also the nietzschean notion of the ubermensch, the final evolution of man, if you will, which ironically is only capable in machine.

MedIC86

damn how can people say its boring...i really love the slow burning style of the movie.

edit; haha that thread title

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The thing about Blade Runner is that if you were expecting a Star Wars or similar action thriller, you're not going to get it. Blade Runner's narrative is weak and characterization limited, but its worldview, visual design, and engagement with theme are all top notch. You can best appreciate Blade Runner if you ask yourself questions about humanity, existence, and class while you watch it.

So it would be more accurate to say that you didn't "get it" than that you didn't "like it". That's fine. If it's not your kind of movie, it's not your kind of movie, but it is widely viewed as a very strong success in terms of what it sets out to accomplish and dissenting with "well there weren't splosions" isn't going to do much to contest that perception ;)

You thought it was boring? It was not for you, has nothing to do with the merits of the film itself. It has only gotten better with age for me.

I didn't like it either when I saw it some years ago, but I always chalked that up to my general dislike a of sci fi movies even though Gattaca is an all time fav of mine.

EBE

it definitely is slow. but its a beautiful movie and it always will be a classic. im so very sorry for you.

Empty

i think it's great. it's just a very different film. the combination of the kind of roles ford is associated with and the iconic visual design makes people naturally compare it to space opera like star wars or horror thriller like terminator or alien. it's also ostensibly a film noir but really doesn't care about plot, which throws you off again. it's nothing like that. instead it's a film that is deeply philosophical, about what it means to be human and what a futuristic society looks like. i was so disappointed when i first saw it as i was expecting something with more adventure and it's so unsatisfying if you look at it from that straightforward perspective, why is the investigation so aimless, harrison ford is sleepwalking, the replicants are absurd, what the fuck is going on with the romance stuff, but many rewatches it's one of my favourite films and i see all those elements in a new light. not saying you'll feel that way, just a thought.

cantona222

The thing about Blade Runner is that if you were expecting a Star Wars or similar action thriller, you're not going to get it. Blade Runner's narrative is weak and characterization limited, but its worldview, visual design, and engagement with theme are all top notch. You can best appreciate Blade Runner if you ask yourself questions about humanity, existence, and class while you watch it.

So it would be more accurate to say that you didn't "get it" than that you didn't "like it". That's fine. If it's not your kind of movie, it's not your kind of movie, but it is widely viewed as a very strong success in terms of what it sets out to accomplish and dissenting with "well there weren't splosions" isn't going to do much to contest that perception ;)

I'm convinced. I surrender :)

Porcile

Blade Runner didn't even hold up when it first released. Ridley Scott tried to fix the film for nigh on 25 years but the film is fundamentally flawed. You can't polish a turd, even if it's a handsome looking one. Most overated filmmaker of all time.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It's a noir that happens to take place in a sci-fi dystopia. That means it's slow, deliberate, and very much unlike most of the other pillars of '80s sci-fi filmmaking. If you go in with the wrong expectations, it can be a very jarring film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom