• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Blade Runner (Did not like it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laughter comes from understanding and appreciation of the joke. It's not that different. You just don't usually laugh when you watch a good movie, unless it's a comedy.

A joke relies on an impact and overexplanation can ruin that. Sure. But a movie relies on the impact of its visuals and acting and storytelling. If that movie doesn't make an impact with the initial viewing, then something has gone terribly wrong with the execution of the movie.

He shouldn't need to research what it's really about. The movie should be able to convey that by itself. I repeat, a movie needs to stand on its own. You don't go read a paper to gain an understanding of a movie's tone, the tone should be appreciated by how it's used in the movie's scenes.

Comedy's ultimate goal is about eliciting an involuntary response though. Of course understanding and appreciation of the joke brings out that response, but overexplanation kills it because the process becomes too mechanical. It's not the same as looking deeper into a dramatic or cerebral experience and revisiting it down the line if you feel like you've missed the point.

Also, people are not robots. We all go into experiences with preconceived notions and built up expectations of what it might be, and/or what you hope it will be, especially with "classics" like Blade Runner. Sometimes that leads to people being disappointed, but many, many of those people have gone back to Blade Runner and found a new appreciation for what it does after they know what kind of mind state they should go into it with, and/or the impact it's had in science fiction. I'm not making this up, just read the thread. It happens all the time. Blade Runner's slow, and low key, and feels aimless at times relying on the sensory experience, so when people come in thinking "Terminator" or "father of cyberpunk" and "this will be amazing", sometimes it doesn't work. Tons of now beloved movies didn't work the first time around. There's no shame in doing some research and coming back at later date. Hell, it might not even be about understanding, sometimes you're just not in the right mood. If the OP was expecting an action movie and put on Blade Runner, that's a recipe for disaster.

mantidor

Even more stunning than in Fellowship?

Sean-in-LOTR-The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-sean-bean-22893350-853-480.jpg

Sean Bean must've been in an earlier cut I didn't see. I'm sure he was killed off early.

You people don't let anything pass, do you? D:

That would be accurate if humans were born with a cinematographic database pre-installed in our brain and thus extracted 100% of a film in the first viewing, but alas, we don't, and as we grow up the way we view the world and what we know about it changes. Perhaps someone liked faster paced films and didn't like it, but as he grew tired of blockbuster-type movies he came back to it and found a new appreciation of the slower, more deliberate pacing of Blade Runner. Maybe someone realized the craftmanship behind the sets after watching movies with crummy CG, or the infamous "TV look". Maybe someone experienced more works that were inspired by the film and they come to respect it for its huge posthumous influence even if they don't particularly enjoy it moment to moment. Or perhaps something as simple as the way the music and visuals manage to combine and create a particular mood that reminds you of the first time you watched it, making you realize that it left a stronger mark on you than you thought. There are tons of ways in which revisiting a movie can make you see something you didn't before.

I mean isn't Blade Runner considered one of the most well known examples of "this movie sucks" (when it came out) -> "uhmmmmm, I take that back, this is one of the most important and influential movies of all time!" (many years later)?

If movies couldn't be reevaluated then people wouldn't suddenly begin to like it (as it happened).

Empty

He shouldn't need to research what it's really about. The movie should be able to convey that by itself. I repeat, a movie needs to stand on its own. You don't go read a paper to gain an understanding of a movie's tone, the tone should be appreciated by how it's used in the movie's scenes.

it's not really about having to go out of your way to appreciate something. it's more about layers of appreciation.

nabokov once talked about how if you see a lily you can appreciate the beauty of the lily as a thing. but if you are also a naturalist then you can appreciate more details, as you know more about lilies. if you are also a botanist then you can appreciate the biology of it, how it's formed and admire that aspect. soon you have a much deeper love of it than someone random walking in the park and looking at the lily in the pond, yet it's the same lily, it hasn't suddenly switched from bad to good. you've just changed.

maybe instead of looking at the lily properly you got mad that there weren't any ducks in the pond and didn't care for the lily, which is analogous to people hoping for an action film and missing a lot of what's on offer. there's lots of situations that change how you feel about things. maybe you were too annoyed with something in your life to properly enjoy the lily.

(i'm going to stop talking about lilies now)

it's like that. if you watch blade runner once maybe you like some things and dislike some stuff, you read some analysis and do some thinking and rewatch it, you like it more and re-evaluate other things, then you notice more things and piece it together, maybe read some more with your new feelings and share your feelings with others who give you new things to think about and take that to your next viewing and get more out of it etc. soon you've gone from indifference to loving it. or maybe you don't like it, that's cool, but you've probably developed deeper objections than just 'why is ford not han solo'.

Comedy's ultimate goal is about eliciting an involuntary response though. Of course understanding and appreciation of the joke brings out that response, but overexplanation kills it because the process becomes too mechanical. It's not the same as looking deeper into a dramatic or cerebral experience and revisiting it down the line if you feel like you've missed the point.

Also, people are not robots. We all go into experiences with preconceived notions and built up expectations of what it might be, and/or what you hope it will be, especially with "classics" like Blade Runner. Sometimes that leads to people being disappointed, but many, many of those people have gone back to Blade Runner and found a new appreciation for what it does after they know what kind of mind state they should go into it with, and/or the impact it's had in science fiction. I'm not making this up, just read the thread. It happens all the time. Blade Runner's slow, and low key, and feels aimless at times relying on the sensory experience, so when people come in thinking "Terminator" or "grandfather of cyberpunk" and "this will be amazing", sometimes it doesn't work. Tons of now beloved movies didn't work the first time around. There's no shame in doing some research and coming back at later date. Hell, it might not even be about understanding, sometimes you're just not in the right mood. If the OP was expecting an action movie and put on Blade Runner, that's a recipe for disaster.

This is pretty much what happened to me. I watched it based off of all the hype, and found it really boring. I'm also not much of a critical thinker when it comes to entertainment, so I'm not sure if I should try again or it just isn't for me.

Zeliard

Years are kinda necessary for Solaris unless he go watch that awful Soderbergh tripe. (Note: I have not seen the 2002 version. Maybe it's awesome. I truly don't know.)

Why in the world would you call it "awful Soderbergh tripe" right before admitting you haven't seen it and don't know whether or not it's good?

It's an excellent remake, trimmed and less meandering than Tarkovsky's version but still very soulful and meditative, and thematically evocative. It's the antithesis of the typical Hollywood remake; other than the inclusion of George Clooney and a reduced length, it made virtually no effort to cater to a mainstream audience.

I think with a movie held in such high esteem as Blade Runner, it helps to do some self-evaluation on why it did or didn't work for you. Its not "well obviously this film just sucked ass and is a huge failure!" because, well, clearly it wouldn't be held as a sci-fi masterpiece by millions of smart, literate people decades later if there was nothing of worth here. Not that you HAVE to like it, but I think the onus is kinda on you to provide some kind of argument why it didn't work for you. There are plenty of well thought out critiques of The Godfather and Citizen Kane out there, it just takes a bit more effort than "it was overrated/aged terribly/fell asleep halfway through something is wrong with this movie obviously I am not at fault"

This is pretty much what happened to me. I watched it based off of all the hype, and found it really boring. I'm also not much of a critical thinker when it comes to entertainment, so I'm not sure if I should try again or it just isn't for me.

It could be that you simply don't like the movie, but if there's even a hint of "Maybe I watched it wrong" bouncing around in your head, I'd suggest rewatching it. So many people go into the movie because:

- Wow this anime's great. Oh Blade Runner did this first?
- Wow that art direction is great. Oh, they just copied Blade Runner?
- Wow this video game is great. Oh it's just Blade Runner?
- Wow the mood of this is amazing. Oh, Blade Runner again, huh?
- Ugh, such terrible effects these days. Oh Blade Runner still holds up huh?

HMM, MAYBE I SHOULD WATCH THIS AMAZING BLADE RUNNER MOVIE.

Then there's the disappointment that this hailed film that everyone still pulls from isn't as action packed, or immediately gratifying as what it's influenced, and it can leave a bad taste in your mouth. Many mediums have taken Blade Runner and made it faster, lighter, and more accessible, and because of that you think you know what you're getting into, but most don't.

But again, you just might not like it. That's fine.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I saw it for the first time a few years ago, don't know how it escaped me. I like pretty much all Sci-Fi (except Dr. Who, just don't get it) so I was expecting really great things from it.

I was very disappointed. I can't say there was anything bad about it, just found it to be really boring. The only things I found interesting were the setting and the atmosphere, it's a very good looking film.

It could be that you simply don't like the movie, but if there's even a hint of "Maybe I watched it wrong" bouncing around in your head, I'd suggest rewatching it. So many people go into the movie because:

Then there's the disappointment that this hailed film that everyone still pulls from isn't as action packed, or immediately gratifying as what it's influenced, and it can leave a bad taste in your mouth. Many mediums have taken Blade Runner and made it faster, lighter, and more accessible, and because of that you think you know what you're getting into, but most don't.

I think this is what happened to me, I haven't given up on the idea of liking it yet. I know theres about 20 different versions, can someone recommend the most appropriate one for me?

dejay

Banned
I literally fell asleep the first time I watched it, loved it on subsequent viewings. Sometimes you just have to be in the right mood.

I have the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven in my closet I haven't watched yet (seen the theatrical release) - I'm waiting until I'm in the right mood to watch that.

Why in the world would you call it "awful Soderbergh tripe" right before admitting you haven't seen it and don't know whether or not it's good?
Well, kinda jokingly. The general consensus is pretty darn negative but I will end up seeing it one day or another. I'll probably be watching the 1968 version first, though.

Edit: Personally, I can see how going in with the wrong mood could ruin a short film, but a feature film? If the movie hasn't put you in the right mood after ten minutes, it's doing something wrong.

Yeah, that's exactly right. I'll give it another shot if it's still on Netflix. If I still don't like it after that, it just wasn't meant to be.

Nokterian

it's just you OP it is just you...

Most influential sci-fi movie for everything related to sci-fi to this day in comics,movies,toys and games to this day. One of my personal all time favorite movies.

I think this is what happened to me, I haven't given up on the idea of liking it yet. I know theres about 20 different versions, can someone recommend the most appropriate one for me?

The Final Cut. Looks amazing, sounds amazing. The other cuts are more for super fans at this point, aside from the people that legitimately like a specific cut for whatever reason.

Edit: Personally, I can see how going in with the wrong mood could ruin a short film, but a feature film? If the movie hasn't put you in the right mood after ten minutes, it's doing something wrong.

Well sometimes the allure of what you thought the movie would be can keep you hoping for much longer. We just had some posters in the monthly movie OT admit to not liking HEAT when they saw it the first time. Some of that could be due to hearing about this incredible shootout and expecting the entire movie to be filled with action. So you're waiting and waiting for these action scenes, but you realize it's already been 100 minutes and this clearly isn't what you'd thought it would be. Disappointment starts creeping in. The first 10 minutes of HEAT is not what that movie is, nor is the iconic bank heist/shootout. Sometimes you need to be free of your baggage and force yourself to acknowledge what the movie is to enjoy it. That normally happens on a 2nd viewing. It's not all on the movie.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The Final Cut. Looks amazing, sounds amazing. The other cuts are more for super fans at this point, aside from the people that legitimately like a specific cut for whatever reason.

Right, I'm gonna watch that tomorrow night so.

Mmm, it's not that I didn't like it but I only saw it for the first time a few years ago, and coming after seeing things like GiTS (especially the series SAC/2nd Gig), it's a bit underwhelming in comparison

Kerned

Banned
I am 38 years old and somehow only got around to watching Blade Runner about a year ago, despite growing up in the 80s watching sci-fi. I didn't really care for it on a whole. I thought the art direction, sets, effects and overall tone were amazing, and I found it fascinating to finally watch this film and see how much influence it has had, but I just didn't enjoy the movie as a movie.

Heat was another one I didn't like much and now I love, because of my own expectations about what it was gonna be. Especially that coffee shotp scene where DeNiro and Pacino finally meet up, and Mann crushes your fanboy hopes by doing shot-reverse shot like a Nolan movie so you dont see them sharing the screen. But unlike Christopher Nolan, Mann does this for a specific purpose, visibility established how these two devout loners come from two different worlds. Even here, in this close moment of bonding between two people who respect the other, they are still wary, hesitant and ultimately incapable of letting anyone else in, even someone they so intimately understand. By avoiding the two-shot, Mann allows the characters to maintain a safe distance from one another, as if the table between them is an endless abyss. It's tremendous filmmaking—sharp, efficient and suggestive. Best of all, it doesn't beg for attention.

I didn't really notice that the first time around, but now I do, I appreciate it, and its one of the many reasons I love the film.

One of the things I learned over the years is that unless its some super crazy Director's cut(which for all the various cuts to Blade Runner, it still fundamentally the same film), the movies don't change; only our reactions to them. The same scenes containing the same shots, ideas, actors, atmosphere, sound, dialog, music, etc will play out in the same order for the same runtime, every single time. The only real variable is the audience and what they bring to the film, and not the other way around.

Fireblend

Banned

This is a great post. Would read again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom