• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Speaking of absurdly high resolution promotional renders. Here's one Capcom released for REmaster (6000x5633): https://www.mediafire.com/?qsrlt48st24myjd

I'm assuming this was originally made back with 2002 release. It gives a peak at how things could have looked if they re-rendered the backgrounds.

God DAMN I really hope they can and do rerender those assets.

This is how it would look in game.

re_backgroundd_by_aloo81-d7u4ddf.jpg

That's incredible.

Are there any other renders they have released that like that?

Jinroh

I don't think anything is lost, the whole environments were fully rendered in 3d. It would just take them too much time to rerender everything again, one background at a time. So they opted for a cheap conversion, by only rerendering a few of them (the one with Forest for example).

It's all about money. They could have easily made a native 16/9 if they seriously worked on it.

Davey Cakes

I'd say RE fans lost the most.
I enjoyed RE back then. Had already played RE1, RE2, and RE3 between PC, N64, and Dreamcast (oh hey, look at that, no Sony systems).

I was a fan.

But I also had a Gamecube.

I won.

The Gamecube has always been underrated and deserved way better.

(In its first year the system had the likes of Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball, Smash Bros. Melee, Pikmin, REmake, Eternal Darkness, RE0, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, and more, and it underperformed. Utterly baffling that it didn't do better with that first year of exclusive content).

The exclusivity deal was always a mistake but man, I honestly feel that gamers failed Mikami just as much as he failed them.

Resident Evil on PSX was my drug. I could draw the Spencer Mansion in my sleep. We used to do no ribbon runs, knife only runs etc.

I can't wait.

itchy.
tasty.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't think anything is lost, the whole environments were fully rendered in 3d. It would just take them too much time to rerender everything again, one background at a time. So they opted for a cheap conversion, by only rerendering a few of them (the one with Forest for example).

It's all about money. They could have easily made a native 16/9 if they seriously worked on it.

I don't think they could have easily made it native 16:9. They COULD do it, but I don't think it would be an easy task at all.

Arsenic13

I'm putting together some questions for the team ATM. Not sure when they'll get answered, but I'm digging into upscaling and re rendering. Among other things.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm putting together some questions for the team ATM. Not sure when they'll get answered, but I'm digging into upscaling and re rendering. Among other things.

I would definitely ask if they are rendering ALL of the backgrounds again from the original source files, or scaling the previous backgrounds images up.

I would also ask if they plan to redo the animated backgrounds with less compression. They're currently very low quality by default.

That's the only one I know of.

That bums me the hell out. I really, really hope they re-render the game because that example shows just how high quality the original assets are.

lyrick

RE4 or RE4 Hookman was going to be a PS2 game,
And all previous installments was heavily linked to Playstation,add to the fact PS2 was the success it was what would your reaction be to Capcom announcing RE4 a Remake of the Original a Prequel to it and all other Resident Evil games would be Nintendo exclusive?
Forget that those people owned a Sony console a minute, it was a biggest fuck you to the fanbase they could have done, a lot of people bought a PS2 for Residents Evil too and got screwed.

Sounds like entitlement, Fans of the series already had Dreamcasts before the PS2 came out as well.

I would definitely ask if they are rendering ALL of the backgrounds again from the original source files, or scaling the previous backgrounds images up.

I would also ask if they plan to redo the animated backgrounds with less compression. They're currently very low quality by default.

That bums me the hell out. I really, really hope they re-render the game because that example shows just how high quality the original assets are.

This please! Also what could we expect with the current gen version (graphics wise) compared to ps3/360 versions.

As someone who never played REmake, I'm really excited for this.

The conclusion so far is that it won't be a great looking game on PS4, right? They're not giving it their all?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
As someone who never played REmake, I'm really excited for this.

The conclusion so far is that it won't be a great looking game on PS4, right? They're not giving it their all?

Some people are coming to that conclusion but we don't really have grounds for it yet. Hold out hope, but it may not look AS GREAT on PS4 as it potentially could. That does not mean it will look bad.

Melchiah

God knows, he displayed a lot of hate towards Sony after as if it was their fault REmake failed, he expected gamers to follow him to the gamecube but he was wrong.

Yeah, I remember his fanboyish comment about the PS2 sales being good only because people had to buy several of them due to the failing hardware. The trolls on forums have been using the RROD/YLOD to belittle the 360/PS3 sales in a similar manner.

Not true, RE had already featured on Saturn, PC and Dreamcast. Going to Gamecube wasn't such a big deal.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Resident_Evil
RE1 sold 3.88 million on the PS1 (1.13 million for Director's Cut)
RE2 sold 6.16 million on the PS1 (1.2 million for DualShock edition)
RE3 sold 3.72 million on the PS1
RE:CV sold 1.14 million on the DC
RE:CV sold 2.3 million on the PS2
REmake sold 1.35 million on the GC
RE0 sold 1.29 million on the GC
RE4 sold 1.7 million on the GC

RE4 sold 3.6 million on the PS2
RE4 sold 2.1 million on the Wii
RE5 sold 4.89 million on the PS3
RE5 sold 3.33 million on the 360

You can clearly see, that the sales returned to the norm +3.5 million when RE4 was released on the PS2.

Speaking of absurdly high resolution promotional renders. Here's one Capcom released for REmaster (6000x5633): https://www.mediafire.com/?qsrlt48st24myjd

I'm assuming this was originally made back with 2002 release. It gives a peak at how things could have looked if they re-rendered the backgrounds.

Why did you post that pic? This is torture. I really hope those pics they released are not 100% representative of how the game looks when they had assets like the one you posted.

And to think that was some 2002 rendering. Imagine what they could do now if they used the same technique. Super highly detailed pre-rendered backgrounds, with amazing animations, and then real-time atmospheric effects on top like dust particles floating around and volumetric fog. O_O

That's incredible.

Back then it must've taken a whole day to render this scene. Still unmatched. Imagine if they remade re2.

Neper

Neo Member
So have they said if the environments will now be real-time instead of pre-rendered stuff? I hope so, missed the REmake on GC and I'm really looking forward to this on PC.

RE4 was a massive bomb on GCN.

Mikami was stupid and extremely short sighted to move the franchise to GC and Capcom even more so for letting it happen. Why abandon your fans which the vast majority are on Playstation?

Same reason any 3rd party would go exclusive in any gen: Promotional deals. Secondly, RE4 was in no way a "bomb" considering it's install base. The fact that there is more sales on the PS2 attest to that, people simply wasn't justifying a gamecube purchase with a handful of games.

Also, the game was fully realized on the system - you know, the main arguments for the exclusivity issues from last gen except that the GC was clearly superior in HW in comparison to the PS2.

Is there anyway Capcom can modify the warmth and harshness of the lighting of whatever engine they're using for this? Or are there limitations to how flexible the engine is in that area?

MADGAME

I'm salivating. This should be the benchmark!

I do find the floor reflections a bit distracting, not sure why. They all seem to go straight down and have a transparency setting...maybe that's it I don't know. Can't even really consider it a complaint, a REmake that looked like this would get full retail from me.

Neff

You can clearly see, that the sales returned to the norm +3.5 million when RE4 was released on the PS2.

Most of those non-Sony figures actually represent a larger percent of user base than on Sony. Naturally the profit was better, but again, I call bullshit on the idea that RE works better on Sony 'because it's on Sony' than the obvious install base boost.

edit: Or there's the post below.

lyrick

Yeah, I remember his fanboyish comment about the PS2 sales being good only because people had to buy several of them due to the failing hardware. The trolls on forums have been using the RROD/YLOD to belittle the 360/PS3 sales in a similar manner.

RE:CVX on PS2 sold 1.4M
RE4 on PS2 sold 2.3M
RE5 has sold 6.7M across PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and DL

These are actually from Capcom, not some wiki
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Everyone who says that Capcom could easily make native 16/9 are delusional. They would need to redo almost every single fixed camera angle in the entire game to support native 16/9 due to the thight camera angles of the current pre-rendered backgrounds. I for one would prefer to avoid cross sectional views of the mansions interior walls!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

That's incredible.

For those curious...This is how that same place appears in game.

KvKthUb.png

Aaaaand this is how it appears at 1080 in game.

dolphin_2014_08_07_14_00_39_33_by_aloo81-d7u4lx5.jpg

I cropped out black bars.

They should have gone multiplatform as soon as Nintendo released their disc-based console. Fuck exclusives.

And fuck Mikami for making it so.

Quoting for goodness' sake.

So beautiful.

Davey Cakes

That promotional render....My lord I feel like people would actually be willing to pay full current gen MSRP for a game with all the backgrounds looking like that.

shandy706

For those curious...This is how that same place appears in game.

KvKthUb.png

Aaaaand this is how it appears at 1080 in game.

dolphin_2014_08_07_14_00_39_33_by_aloo81-d7u4lx5.jpg

I cropped out black bars.

..and here it is after they got ahold of it.

eqwadd.jpg

Edit**

...lol...here is yours with massive crush and artifacts for fun too...

fxtsru.jpg

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Technically the sales of REmake and 0 were to blame, but not really. They sold well considering. The problem at the time was that they weren't really major sellers (0 sold less too). So when BIO4 was originally being developed and began to run into technical difficulties (GameCube couldn't handle it) and began to cost more than they anticipated, CAPCOM dealt him an ultimatum to make the next game sell better or they would shelve the series. In the end, BIO4 only sold marginally better on the GameCube, prompting CAPCOM to have it ported and proving that Mikami's exclusivity deal was a failure.
No, the PS2 port of RE4 was announced 3 months BEFORE the GC version was even released. It caused quite the shitstorm back then, and was definitely the reason why the GC edition didn't sell as well as it should have.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Made it a little bigger so you could make out the sand particles on the carpet. Insane detail.

http://i7.minus.com/iIBqnVYSoRs8S.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://cdn.destructoid.com//ul/279123-here-s-how-the-resident-evil-remake-looks-in-hd/RE-011_bmp_jpgcopy-noscale.jpg[/MG]

This just looks plain horrible.[/QUOTE]
I resized it to 1920 like you did but I used bicubic scaling so that there isn't as much aliasing.

[IMG]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/219/a/b/re_background_1920_by_aloo81-d7u4qke.jpg

I really can't believe they got rid of all those source files. How much work must have gone into doing all those rooms if they are that detailed? And then you forget to keep a backup or never did one in the first place? Stupid.

The upscaled stuff is a real nightmare. The real survival horror is playing this version knowing how much better it could have been.

A definitive answer on the state of the background data would be nice, won't they rerender everything due to costs or can't they do it because the data is gone.

If gone, some figures of the costs (recreating 3d files from scratch) would be interesting to hear about but I honestly doubt they woud give an answer to that as talking about money is rarely something people are compfortable with.

Top Bottom