• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Just found a picture of the upgraded Jill.... besides the updated rpd logo patches

Original
il99Ftm3DoXV9.jpg

Remaster
ivfqCi6cj7qzx.jpg

Looks like some sort of cel-shading effect...definitely not a fan of this filter.

Hoping there will be more upgrades with the current gen versions.

Filtered or not... The new chatacters looks better and that's enough for me.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The color is fine, you can see they also added film grain.

I did notice the film grain, but it is very subtle and it adds some texture to the game.

I've been playing through REmake on my TV emulated in Dolphin using SweetFx to add bloom and active, moving film grain and honestly, the game looks pretty damn great like that.

That, along with the custom texture upscaling I've been doing make the game an absolute visual treat to play.

shandy706

Filtered or not... The new chatacters looks better and that's enough for me.

The only thing that looks "better" is the patches...why did they do nothing for the the other textures?

Makes no sense...why even do the patches when the shirt and everything else is a pixelated mess?

Why not just leave it all at the same level in that case?

I did notice the film grain, but it is very subtle and it adds some texture to the game.

I've been playing through REmake on my TV emulated in Dolphin using SweetFx to add bloom and active, moving film grain and honestly, the game looks pretty damn great like that.

That, along with the custom texture upscaling I've been doing make the game an absolute visual treat to play.

It does. Might be easier to tell side by side.
i6Z7uMA31dSZe.jpg

Just found a picture of the upgraded Jill.... besides the updated rpd logo patches

Original
il99Ftm3DoXV9.jpg

Remaster
ivfqCi6cj7qzx.jpg

Looks like some sort of cel-shading effect...definitely not a fan of this filter.

Jill looks even better if that was possible :p

fred

A bit daft they're not bringing this to the Wii U. The franchise has always sold well on Nintendo platforms, the Xbox One hardware has been selling badly in Europe and won't be selling any better in Japan when it's released over there. Monster Hunter has been a 'smash hit' for them too.

It makes absolutely no sense for them to leave out the Wii U, even if you forget about the hardware sales boost that SSBU is going to give the platform around Christmas.

Very odd decision imo.

Bergerac

Jill looks even better if that was possible :p

I think the patches are better yeah, but I much prefer the paler palette.

I for one wouldn't mind the series continuing to use over the shoulder view if they reverted back to a survival horror focus. However, the devs would have to be really careful on balancing the game to accommodate the ease of aiming and dealing precision damage like head shots.

Yeah this is what I'd ideally like. Just change it. Make a full handgun magazine a luxury - and a more logical one at that.

News Bot

Banned
No, the PS2 port of RE4 was announced 3 months BEFORE the GC version was even released. It caused quite the shitstorm back then, and was definitely the reason why the GC edition didn't sell as well as it should have.

Correlation =/= causation.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

Original
il99Ftm3DoXV9.jpg

Remaster
ivfqCi6cj7qzx.jpg

Really don't like all the color correction going on in this thing. Everything is just too warm and that doesn't look like a natural skin tone to me. Cranking up the saturation on a picture doesn't impress.

Like this example, the lighting may be technically more advanced but the entire tone of the scene is changed. The alterations are just too harsh, overblown and lack the subtlety from the pale, muted lighting that gave the original a very cold, gloomy and desolate atmosphere. This applies to the characters as well.

I understand the need to filter and upscale the backgrounds, that much I was prepared to accept. The harsh changes to the lighting and coloring, shifting the tone and crushing detail with overzealous contrast adjustment I was not, though. Really upsetting.

A bit daft they're not bringing this to the Wii U. The franchise has always sold well on Nintendo platforms, the Xbox One hardware has been selling badly in Europe and won't be selling any better in Japan when it's released over there. Monster Hunter has been a 'smash hit' for them too.

It makes absolutely no sense for them to leave out the Wii U, even if you forget about the hardware sales boost that SSBU is going to give the platform around Christmas.

Very odd decision imo.
Revelations must have sold like shit then.

Izcarielo

Banned
The only thing that looks "better" is the patches...why did they do nothing for the the other textures?

Makes no sense...why even do the patches when the shirt and everything else is a pixelated mess?

Yeah i thought the same when i saw the jersey she has.
Why bother updating the STARS logo and then letting the rest like a pixelated mess?

Bergerac

Really don't like all the color correction going on in this thing. Everything is just too warm and that doesn't look like a natural skin tone to me. Cranking up the saturation on a picture doesn't impress.

Like this example, the lighting may be technically more advanced but the entire tone of the scene is changed. The alterations are just too harsh, overblown and lack the subtlety from the pale, muted lighting that gave the original a very cold, gloomy and desolate atmosphere. This applies to the characters as well.

I understand the need to filter and upscale the backgrounds, that much I was prepared to accept. The harsh changes to the lighting and coloring, shifting the tone and crushing detail with overzealous contrast adjustment I was not, though. Really upsetting.

Can't fault you on this really. I'll deal with it, but at the same time, we've come to expect REmake be lit a certain way, and to be smoggier than the type of graphics HD generally goes for. The way I always thought of it, was that this game more than any other would be best accessorised with a smoking jacket and a brandy. It's like watching a Bela Lugosi Dracula flick. I would not want that picture cleared up in any way because it's mystical as it is.

Yeah i thought the same when i saw the jersey she has.
Why bother updating the STARS logo and then letting the rest like a pixelated mess?

Colour change is the worst offence for me.

Arsenic13

Good idea for a question I'll ask. How do they strike a balance between improvements while retaining the original tone and coloring!

Nothing beats playing this game on a crt at 480i. Low res iq suits the b movie vibe the game has and all the assets were developed that way. Im still excited to see how this remaster is gonna look in the end though.

dyergram

I missed this on the GameCube so I'm cautiously optimistic I hope the new controls aren't crap though.
Just realised it's not coming till 2015 rubbish :(

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Good idea for a question I'll ask. How do they strike a balance between improvements while retaining the original tone and coloring!

It wouldn't hurt to ask, but I think we have most of our answers from the pictures we've already been given.

Beyond the resolution of the 3D models, I see nothing that would qualify as an improvement beyond changes that would impress only those who feel that turning up the saturation and sharpness of their TVs to unnatural levels is an improvement. :p

Arsenic13

It wouldn't hurt to ask, but I think we have most of our answers from the pictures we have now.

Beyond the resolution of the 3D models, I see nothing that would qualify as an improvement beyond changes that would impress only those who feel that turning up the saturation and sharpness of their TVs to unnatural levels is an improvement. :p

True, but what we have now are early images of a work in progress game of a few select scenes. The game is still in development.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
True, but what we have now are early images of a work in progress game of a few select scenes. The game is still in development.

Yeah, I'd love to give them the benefit of the doubt, but the media released so far does say a lot about their intentions.

-MD-

Resident Evil fans knew where to go to get Resident Evil games at the time. Both Nintendo and Capcom made the series exclusivity very publicly known. It was PlayStation fans that refused to purchase a lower cost platform to play Resident Evil games that lost out.

I ended getting a GC which was an excellent console, probably my favorite Nintendo system and REmake and RE4 were amazing games, RE4 pushing graphics beyond PS2 capabilities, so no I don't agree.

I enjoyed RE back then. Had already played RE1, RE2, and RE3 between PC, N64, and Dreamcast (oh hey, look at that, no Sony systems).

I was a fan.

But I also had a Gamecube.

I won.

The Gamecube has always been underrated and deserved way better.

(In its first year the system had the likes of Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball, Smash Bros. Melee, Pikmin, REmake, Eternal Darkness, RE0, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, and more, and it underperformed. Utterly baffling that it didn't do better with that first year of exclusive content).

The exclusivity deal was always a mistake but man, I honestly feel that gamers failed Mikami just as much as he failed them.

I meant RE fans lost because they put the series on a dead console and it flopped then we ended up with 4, 5 and 6. I had a Gamecube too but I'm not gonna act like I won.

I meant RE fans lost because they put the series on a dead console and it flopped then we ended up with 4, 5 and 6. I had a Gamecube too but I'm not gonna act like I won.

It wasn't dead when all of that was planned though. It was terrible that REmake and Zero didn't get the same respect as RE4 to port over after the fact however, and I agree that it really isn't a 'win' for anyone to have to buy a console for a particular game that wasn't held on that brand exclusively before.

Seik

Banned

Original
il99Ftm3DoXV9.jpg

Remaster
ivfqCi6cj7qzx.jpg

Her pose inspired me.

fNNwWvm.png

fred

Is there any news on what they're doing with the controls..? It would be a waste of time them releasing this game if they aren't giving the option of playing the game with the option of a Resident Evil 4, 5 and 6 style of over-the-shoulder camera. There are shitloads of people that have wanted this happening for YEARS!!!

scitek

Is there any news on what they're doing with the controls..? It would be a waste of time them releasing this game if they aren't giving the option of playing the game with the option of a Resident Evil 4, 5 and 6 style of over-the-shoulder camera. There are shitloads of people that have wanted this happening for YEARS!!!

The controls will be the same with the option of the N64-style analog controls from RE2 is what I gleaned from the PR.

-MD-

Her pose inspired me.

fNNwWvm.png

Love it.

A waste of time lol? Really? You aren't going to get an over the shoulder camera in this game.

Ibrahim

Banned
What I'm scared of that new generations will not like this, I still need to find someone younger than me that likes tank controls.

Grief.exe

What I'm scared of that new generations will not like this, I still need to find someone younger than me that likes tank controls.

More like you need to find someone younger than you that has the attention span to get over the slight learning curve.

Also, I don't like that there does not seem to be any depth of field, at all. The GameCube shot you can see the zombie blurred out. But in the Remaster, the zombie looks just as sharp as Jill. It kind of loses it's impact when the zombie is in focus for the whole scene.

Also, I don't like that there does not seem to be any depth of field, at all. The GameCube shot you can see the zombie blurred out. But in the Remaster, the zombie looks just as sharp as Jill. It kind of loses it's impact when the zombie is in focus for the whole scene.

Yeah, I'm hoping they'll add some. Also, what happened to the zombie's shadow?

luka

Loves Robotech S1

Yeah, but that's the kind of thing that can be fixed later in development. I'm not as concerned about the little technical oversights that can be ironed out so much as the apparent disregard for the game's original art direction.

That render is beautiful.

If I was in one of the insane people in charge at Capcom, and we still had the actual environment assets, I'd port everything to either UE4 or Panta Rhei. Modern PC hardware could handle the polys and textures. New lighting would be a necessary concession of course, but modern techniques would definitely be up to snuff.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I don't think that is final. The game isn't out yet. I expect they will finish updating textures for the main characters before release.

The default DoF effect the game had was really, really bad. It just lowered the resolution for the most part.

I imagine they'll add in a more modern one, or more realistically I hope they will.

Capcom has done good by PC ports as of late.

What I want is the developer to have the humility to admit that it wasn't deemed necessary to hold onto the old files, and they are in fact working with low-res assets.

Obviously that's something that happened, but it's hard to get behind it without some humanity behind the marketing speech... something like "yeah, we're using special upscaling and filtering to make up for the loss of the original files"

It's not a lot to ask, but people are used to corporations speaking like evil robots, I feel like I'm going to get attacked for even asking for such a thing.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
What I want is the developer to have the humility to admit that it wasn't deemed necessary to hold onto the old files, and they are in fact working with low-res assets.

Obviously that's something that happened, but it's hard to get behind it without some humanity behind the marketing speech... something like "yeah, we're using special upscaling and filtering to make up for the loss of the original files"

It's not a lot to ask, but people are used to corporations speaking like evil robots, I feel like I'm going to get attacked for even asking for such a thing.

This bothers you that much that they have to have the humility to say this?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

No one knows that they lost the original files and people saying so is purely speculation.

zma1013

Original
il99Ftm3DoXV9.jpg

Remaster
ivfqCi6cj7qzx.jpg

Wait that's upgraded Jill? Can't be. The only things that are different are the logos and the color is a little different. The shirt and buckles and everything else has the exact same textures on it.

Grief.exe

That render is beautiful.

If I was in one of the insane people in charge at Capcom, and we still had the actual environment assets, I'd port everything to either UE4 or Panta Rhei. Modern PC hardware could handle the polys and textures. New lighting would be a necessary concession of course, but modern techniques would definitely be up to snuff.

Well, more likely to use their in house engine than one they have to eat the licensing costs. In this case MT Framework.

The default DoF effect the game had was really, really bad. It just lowered the resolution for the most part.

I imagine they'll add in a more modern one, or more realistically I hope they will.

Capcom has done good by PC ports as of late.

The DOF effect was particularly bad in RE4 as well.

Seik

Banned
Wait that's upgraded Jill? Can't be. The only things that are different are the logos and the color is a little different. The shirt and buckles and everything else has the exact same textures on it.

You wouldn't see a big difference during gameplay anyway, she's never THAT close.

The logos will be distinguishable enough though, that a good change.

Seik

Banned
There are a few camera angles where you definitely get a close look.

Yeah, I agree, but still, not that close. :p

EDIT: I'll just go ahead before someone posts a pic that may prove me wrong that it isn't of much importance if you have a 'too close' look during one camera angle in the game, it's not horrible either I mean..

zma1013

Yeah, I agree, but still, not that close. :p

EDIT: I'll just go ahead before someone posts a pic that may prove me wrong that it isn't of much importance if you have a 'too close' look during one camera angle in the game, it's not horrible either I mean..

Well I mean if it's supposed to be a remaster of an old game I'd think it would be important to up the texture work on your main character that you see for the majority of the game. I dunno, maybe I'm expecting too much.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
All I know is this better come out early 2015, I can barely contain my excitement for the bad versions in November :p

Part of me is hoping for a late spring 2015 release in hopes that they really do re-render out all those backgrounds. Seeing just how good the game CAN look with that one high res render has got me really, really antsy for a release that looks like that.

I'm thinking the developers could do it if they have access to the original files, but since it is going to be download only on consoles I'm sort of expecting they won't since the download size on 200+ background images of that quality will be incredibly large.

Seik

Banned
Part of me is hoping for a late spring 2015 release in hopes that they really do re-render out all those backgrounds. Seeing just how good the game CAN look with that one high res render has got me really, really antsy for a release that looks like that.

I'm thinking the developers could do it if they have access to the original files, but since it is going to be download only on consoles I'm sort of expecting they won't since the download size on 200+ background images of that quality will be incredibly large.

Yeah but it's not like they're obligated to slam these 6000x5633 renders in the game, a downscaled version of these that would looks well 1080p would be enough and it wouldn't be that heavy, imo.

Top Bottom