• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

chadboban

God DAMN I really hope they can and do rerender those assets.

This is how it would look in game.

re_backgroundd_by_aloo81-d7u4ddf.jpg

That's incredible.

Are there any other renders they have released that like that?

HOLY CRAP! This is EXACTLY how I hoped the REmaster would be! Damn if it looked this good I'd buy it without a second thought. Jesus Christ!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I really can't believe they got rid of all those source files. How much work must have gone into doing all those rooms if they are that detailed? And then you forget to keep a backup or never did one in the first place? Stupid.

The upscaled stuff is a real nightmare. The real survival horror is playing this version knowing how much better it could have been.

As previously noted, anyone saying that they lost the source files is entirely speculating and there is absolutely 0 evidence to support that.

Capcom has never said it, and we currently don't know whether they have the original files or not.

Melchiah

Most of those non-Sony figures actually represent a larger percent of user base than on Sony. Naturally the profit was better, but again, I call bullshit on the idea that RE works better on Sony 'because it's on Sony' than the obvious install base boost.

The list I posted also clearly showed the series sold well on the 360, so I don't get where you got "because it's on Sony". Xbox had also stronger legacy and larger audience for horror games with Silent Hill 2+4, Project Zero 1+2, Condemned and Bioshock before RE5 was released, than Nintendo had before GC. The poor sales of Zombie U are also a testament to that.

RE:CVX on PS2 sold 1.4M
RE4 on PS2 sold 2.3M
RE5 has sold 6.7M across PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and DL

These are actually from Capcom, not some wiki
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

I stand corrected.

lyrick

I remember them announcing the 2M, hell it sold over 1M in NA
A lot of people wanted that demo ya know, I don't think it broke 5k on GCN.

Game SKUs that didn't sell over 1 Million are not on the list for example RE:CVX for Dreamcast is nowhere to be found, nor are the GCN ports of 2, 3 or CVX. Any other accounting discrepancy should probably be taken up with Capcom.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I remember them announcing the 2M, hell it sold over 1M in NA
A lot of people wanted that demo ya know, I don't think it broke 5k on GCN.
I can't find anywhere data on CVX PS2 selling over 1M in NA or it selling over 2M worldwide, are you sure about that?

Christopher

Why won't they renake 2 I just don't understand it...it could use the assets and make half of 3 as well.

They make other games in the world or 2/3 yet won't service the series with the game that put it on the map.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Uh yes, I know about those, I meant his mention on Cacpcom announcing on selling over 2M (which they clearly didn't by going by the Plat numbers) or the NA SKU topping 1M (which is unlikely too as the JPN one did over 330k according to Famitsu)

I know, that's why I'm giving the data so we know that they're probably remembering wrong and that we have evidence of that.

Sylver

Banned
God DAMN I really hope they can and do rerender those assets.

This is how it would look in game.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/219/4/f/re_backgroundd_by_aloo81-d7u4ddf.jpg[/IG]

That's incredible.

Are there any other renders they have released that like that?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing this now I have a new wallpaper.-
[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/fidA2eP.png

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can't find anywhere data on CVX PS2 selling over 1M in NA or it selling over 2M worldwide, are you sure about that?
I definitely remember reading it in OPM2, they said something like gamers being eager to try the DMC so much that 2M bought RE:CVX.
it was a long time ago but my memory is fantastic, unless they was wrong which isn't the first time I've seen sales figures jump around.

That must be it then.

heyf00L

I saw the high res image and got excited, then realized it's an example of what we're NOT getting but could if Capcom cared.

synce

Why did devs stop using pre-rendered background anyway? I would kill for RE7 (or any true PS4 game) to be in the style of REmake. They could do character models and lighting that are only seen in movies.

a916

Why did devs stop using pre-rendered background anyway? I would kill for RE7 (or any true PS4 game) to be in the style of REmake. They could do character models and lighting that are only seen in movies.

It has limitations. One of them being those fixed camera angles. With that, RE has some horrible aiming mechanics.

Many reasons, most important IMO: the player cannot move the camera.

It works absolutely fine for adventure games though (eg Syberia 1 & 2) and pretty well for games that are light on action (eg RE0/1...).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

A lot of people despise tank controls and more hate the idea of being attacked by an enemy you had no way of seeing.

I think both of those are reasonable complaints.

It seems like it's so obvious and maybe even cost effective, yet no one does it anymore.

TGO

A lot of people despise tank controls and more hate the idea of being attacked by an enemy you had no way of seeing.

I think both of those are reasonable complaints.
Yet everyone likes FPS's, amirite?!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Those were the Resident Evil key traits.

Those limitations are part of what made RE so scary, tho.

Yet everyone likes FPS's, amirite?!

I understand you guys like it, I'm just explaining that some people don't. Not everyone likes the same things, and for people who don't like that these are valid complaints and valid reasons for why pre-rendered backgrounds wouldn't be a good option for them.

It has limitations. One of them being those fixed camera angles. With that, RE has some horrible aiming mechanics.

Yeah but you don't have to make a game where you need camera control for aiming. What about a hack and slash? Onimusha had beautiful pre-rendered bg.

GOW3 had static camera angles as well.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah but you don't have to make a game where you need camera control for aiming. What about a hack and slash? Onimusha had beautiful pre-rendered bg.

GOW3 had static camera angles as well.

GoW does a lot of panning and camera movements with those fixed angles.

I wouldn't even call it fixed angles, just no camera control given to the player. The camera does a fair bit of moving.

Not so much horrible aiming in of itself. After all, you basically have auto-aim at the nearest threat.

Its that you're extremely limited design-wise to offer to the player. Sure, head shots and leg shots are possible, but are really rough to execute well and results are inconsistent at best. For the most part, enemies are just varying degrees of sponge to the player's attacks.

I for one wouldn't mind the series continuing to use over the shoulder view if they reverted back to a survival horror focus. However, the devs would have to be really careful on balancing the game to accommodate the ease of aiming and dealing precision damage like head shots.

Santar

apparently it's not uncommon for game companies to loose original source files.
I remember Squeenix lost the files for the original Kingdom Hearts when working on the HD Remix version.
Seems a lot of companies didn't really think about keeping stuff in the older days, so I don't think it's unreasonable to think Capcom have actually lost the original background files.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I asked before but I don't know if I got a response. How would RE fair if it was in first person? Not playing like House of The Dead, either. I really mean just first person view. This could possibly allow for much faster zombies in the Universe.

I asked before but I don't know if I got a response. How would RE fair if it was in first person? Not playing like House of The Dead, either. I really mean just first person view. This could possibly allow for much faster zombies in the Universe.

RE: Dead aim was a fps iirc. I really enjoyed that game.

TGO

I understand you guys like it, I'm just explaining that some people don't. Not everyone likes the same things, and for people who don't like that these are valid complaints and valid reasons for why pre-rendered backgrounds wouldn't be a good option for them.
I was actually just pointing out that FPS do actually have tank controls and you can't see off screen, RE4 still has tank controls the only difference is you now have a turret.

Sylver

Banned

The most similar game you have is RE: Survivor, aim is quite similar to HoTD but except for this the rest of the game have nothing to with light gun arcade games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i3aAbPPvWc

GoW does a lot of panning and camera movements with those fixed angles.

I wouldn't even call it fixed angles, just no camera control given to the player. The camera does a fair bit of moving.

Yeah I undestand that part. I was just mentioning an example of a modern game that restricted camera control for better, more focused visuals.

Well, ammunition would have to be really limited for one thing, if we're speaking of it being in the same vein as REmake.

With no auto-aim and now limited to at most a 180 deg view, there's more opportunities to get the jump on the player. Games like Outlast and ZombiU (even with its radar) demonstrate this incredibly well.

In fact, ZombiU is probably a really good example to your question, though the bosses, animals, and other mutations would have to be accounted for the gameplay.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I was actually just pointing out that FPS do actually have tank controls and you can't see off screen, RE4 still has tank controls the only difference is you now have a turret.

I don't think the comparison to FPS is valid at all.

Left and right strafe, they don't turn you, and you have full vision of anything around you with the right stick.

In FPS's you can see anything your characters eyes can see.

For example, in REMake, I recently got through a section where I pushed a book case aside and there was a closet behind it. I walk in and as soon as the camera angle changes to the view inside the closet there was a zombie there that lunges at me.

In game, Jills eyes would be staring at this zombie the moment she pushed the bookcase out of the way.

In an FPS, it would have been immediately apparent and would make sense.

With fixed camera angles, there's a disconnect of "This enemy would be plainly visible if I just had some semblance of camera controls, and the character would know of this enemies placement, and existance far earlier than this."

BBboy20

Not so much horrible aiming in of itself. After all, you basically have auto-aim at the nearest threat.

Its that you're extremely limited design-wise to offer to the player. Sure, head shots and leg shots are possible, but are really rough to execute well and results are inconsistent at best. For the most part, enemies are just varying degrees of sponge to the player's attacks.

I for one wouldn't mind the series continuing to use over the shoulder view if they reverted back to a survival horror focus. However, the devs would have to be really careful on balancing the game to accommodate the ease of aiming and dealing precision damage like head shots.
By removing precise accuracy in RE6, it became the closest thing to old-school RE without the still cameras. Anybody who played careful during the early levels of Leon should have noticed this.

By removing precise accuracy in RE6, it became the closest thing to old-school RE without the still cameras. Anybody who played careful during the early levels of Leon should have noticed this.

I didn't really get this at all in RE6. Sure, if you hung back and relied on ammunition to deal primarily with enemies, ammo was eaten up quick.

But that's because the game wasn't designed for that. Without being forthright with it, the gameplay was designed for you to generally rush enemies and counter attacks they through at you. Sadly, the levels weren't designed with it in mind and the game doesn't inform you of it.

The aiming was also not inaccurate enough to make too much of a difference.

Edit: I also hated the 'perk' and endurance elements in the game, so it just wasn't my sort of game through and through both within the franchise and as a game itself; though Mercs would be a nice standalone since it didn't run into as many design issues.

Jinroh

Everyone who says that Capcom could easily make native 16/9 are delusional. They would need to redo almost every single fixed camera angle in the entire game to support native 16/9 due to the thight camera angles of the current pre-rendered backgrounds. I for one would prefer to avoid cross sectional views of the mansions interior walls!
That's exactly what my post implied, if they rerendered each background, it could have been easily done. But since they aren't going to do that, it's impossible.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That's exactly what my post implied, if they rerendered each background, it could have been easily done. But since they aren't going to do that, it's impossible.

If they rerendered each background it still wouldn't be easily done.

They would have to render it again, appropriately change the camera angles so there is no clipping, ensure that the design actually fits within this 16:9 view, and also redesign the collision of every single area of the game so that the character isn't simply walking through pre-rendered objects.

That doesn't sound simple at all, that sounds incredibly arduous.

Honestly, their 16:9 pan and scan methods sounds like it could work really well if they were to re-render out the backgrounds to a size that could appropriately fit 1920x1440.

Just found a picture of the upgraded Jill.... besides the updated rpd logo patches

Original
il99Ftm3DoXV9.jpg

Remaster
ivfqCi6cj7qzx.jpg

Looks like some sort of cel-shading effect...definitely not a fan of this filter.

Hoping there will be more upgrades with the current gen versions.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

There's really no reason to use pre-rendered backgounds these days. They were primarily used to create much more detailed environments than the puny '90s consoles could render in real-time. Now you can do pretty damn nice things with real-time graphics, so there's no reason to put up with the limitations of pre-rendered backgrounds anymore. They're static, they can't really be interactive, they have to be re-rendered if you want to move a camera so much as an inch, etc. With real-time graphics you can still achieve the same "locked camera" effect if you want to, but you can also have it pan, move through the scene, etc. The environments can also be fully interactive and have much more going on in them.

Sure, you could use pre-rendered backgrounds and put all your real-time resources toward rendering the most amazing character models ever, but I'm not sure it would be worth the drawbacks of using static images/FMVs for environments.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just found a picture of the upgraded Jill.... besides the updated rpd logo patches

Original
il99Ftm3DoXV9.jpg

Remaster
ivfqCi6cj7qzx.jpg

Looks horrible imo. Definitely not a fan of this filter.

That's not filtered, they just updated (some) textures.

I think it looks a lot better and more natural, in terms of skin color and the detail textures like the RPD patches.

FyreWulff

FPS/TPS happened

ironically the TPS genre got it's biggest boost from a Resident Evil game. Gears of War was based off RE4's control scheme/presentation

Top Bottom