• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters announced for PS4

inm8num2

Oh nice, I thought Ragnar had confirmed this before, but either way good to see Dreamfall Chapters will get more exposure on a non-PC platform.

Such beautiful news. April Ryan 4eva. Zoe Castillo and the dreams!

Played The Longest Journey on the PC (where else?), Dreamfall on the Xbox, and now will be playing Chapters on the PS4. This series just can't stay put! So excited though, and the news I've been yearning to hear for almost a year now. Can't wait to carry on through the saga.

Slowdive

Banned
so compared to Beyond, Heavy Rain, the wolf among us and the Walking dead , where does this stand?

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are better than all of those, imo. The Longest Journey is point and click, Dreamfall is less so (plays more like the games you mentioned) and this seems to play like a cross between the two.

teiresias

I wonder if they'll release these episodically like the PC release is now planned to be or if they'll wait for all the chapters to be released and do one release for the consoles?

AdanVC

Damn, this actually looks pretty cool, what the hell.

cant blame them, wii u is dying , while ps4 is selling like hotcakes.

After this Sony Press Conference. Yeah... , I believe Sony did better here than at E3. :( Nintendo doesn't even bother to do anything for Gamescom other than doing a 7 minute trailer of games we already know and showing nothing, NOTHING new. But what they can do when they lost everyone and everything on the 3rd Party stuff and now looks like the indie games will be next. Wii U is my only home console and I'm right now I'm like :(... Yay for having Smash Bros I guess.

sörine

Banned
cant blame them, wii u is dying , while ps4 is selling like hotcakes.
To an extent but indies are the one area where 3rd parties seem to be doing well on Wii U. Nintendo courted them early on, sent them free kits and they actually announced the ports so PS4 exclusivity likely has more to do with incetives/moneyhats than anything.

PersonaX

I backed this back in the day, so how am i going to receive my "free" copy now that it's episodic? how does it work?

can you start with dreamfall chapters on ps4 or should i go to the originals?

You should probably start at the beginning, the Longest Journey. Dreamfall Chapters is a direct continuation of Dreamfall Longest Journey which is a sequel to TLJ. That's my. Opinion on the matter. They're fantastic games worth playing anyway.

Edit: Beaten

so compared to Beyond, Heavy Rain, the wolf among us and the Walking dead , where does this stand?

Most likely be better than all those in terms of being an adventure game with challenge, while still having choices and some branching. Can't judge so far on storytelling, but based on previous Dreamfall and TLJ, hope it has as interesting characters and emotion.

Doffen

Really not surprised. Norway is PlayStation nation and ID@Xbox apparently fucked up regarding RTG.

Some Ragnar tweets from April:

I second that. MT @tha_rami: The support I’ve seen from @shahidkamal @nsuttner @adamboyes & the Sony team has been proactive & accommodating
Unfortunately the same can’t be said for @ID_Xbox. We’ve been having a really difficult time getting any response from @Microsoft.
Consequently @RedThreadGames is not currently doing any development for #Xbone.

teiresias

Why is it exclusive? Why cant they still make the Wii U version, they still use Unity after all?

Well, Sony made it clear it was a "console launch exclusive", though given Ragnar's comments about MS's lack of support that platform seems questionable, and even though it uses Unity, Wii U is still PowerPC vs x86 for PC and PS4 so I'm not sure it's really as transparent as the engine in use would make it seem.

They've also already had to switch back to episodic releases rather than the full game at once for the PC release (it is a fairly small development team after all), and technically the Kickstarter was only funding the PC version anyway. The console ports were never a guarantee to begin with, so I'm sure Sony's aid (and Shahid and Boyes in particular) helped push the PS4 version along to fruition.

Damn, this actually looks pretty cool, what the hell.

After this Sony Press Conference. Yeah... , I believe Sony did better here than at E3. :( Nintendo doesn't even bother to do anything for Gamescom other than doing a 7 minute trailer of games we already know and showing nothing, NOTHING new. But what they can do when they lost everyone and everything on the 3rd Party stuff and now looks like the indie games will be next. Wii U is my only home console and I'm right now I'm like :(... Yay for having Smash Bros I guess.

Cheer up bro. Smash is a fun ass game. You can also buy a PS4 whenever and experience those games you want to play.

It stands above and beyond them. Towering over them.

IMO... And I like them all!

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are better than all of those, imo. The Longest Journey is point and click, Dreamfall is less so (plays more like the games you mentioned) and this seems to play like a cross between the two.

Most likely be better than all those in terms of being an adventure game with challenge, while still having choices and some branching. Can't judge so far on storytelling, but based on previous Dreamfall and TLJ, hope it has as interesting characters and emotion.

sounds awesome cant wait

Top Bottom