• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters announced for PS4

Mithos

I do not recall the Kickstarter for this game mentioning any console versions. This came after the fact.

Well that WAS the gamble we did, that we would be able to "pick/chose" a console version as a reward even if its wasn't there at that time. And this because all the Unity is scalable and we def. want to do console versions etc and so on.

Backfired good.

well that's some straight up fuckery

glad I didn't back this game because I'm sure it'd be a shit show trying to get my money back
Why would they give your money back? They didn't talk about it coming to WiiU until after it was funded. No one was promised it when they were crowdfunding, they were pretty coy about anything beyond a PC/Mac/Linux release.

Changing your plans pre-release as a small, financially constrained studio responding to changing development needs isn't fuckery.

phanphare

Banned
Why would they give your money back? They didn't talk about it coming to WiiU until after it was funded. No one was promised it when they were crowdfunding, they were pretty coy about anything beyond a PC/Mac/Linux release.

Changing your plans pre-release as a small, financially constrained studio responding to changing development needs isn't fuckery.

see my next response

Sorry, had that tab sitting for a bit because of a meeting. My bad.

it's cool, I should have (and just did) edited that post once everything got clarified

Worth noting that they're suffering a lot of abuse on Twitter for this from angry assholes. Truly disgusting behavior. I didn't know so many non-backer WiiU owners cared, though it's probably just opportunistic assholism.

Is it too much to hope but maybe they could bring TLJ and the original Dreamfall to current-gen consoles as well?

Porting the original TLJ won't be difficult outside the legal stuff. Dreamfall, I don't know.
TLJ would play decently with DS4 touch pad, Wii U controller, or possibly kinect.
They could charge $5 and still end up making profit since word of mouth will be strong with TLJ.

People will need to play the earlier games to fully enjoy the game. Also more people experiencing the original TLJ is a good thing.

Relativ9

Gotta admit I never played the first one, despite hearing real good things. I'll play this though, gotta show one of the few development studios in my home country (Norway) some love if I ever hope to develop games here myself some day.

Lime

Is it too much to hope but maybe they could bring TLJ and the original Dreamfall to current-gen consoles as well?

Porting the original TLJ won't be difficult outside the legal stuff. Dreamfall, I don't know.
TLJ would play decently with DS4 touch pad, Wii U controller, or possibly kinect.
They could charge $5 and still end up making profit since word of mouth will be strong with TLJ.

People will need to play the earlier games to fully enjoy the game. Also more people experiencing the original TLJ is a good thing.

If this is sufficiently successful, they will try to remake TLJ.

I'm so happy (for Read Thread) that this is coming to the PS4, although I'm pretty sure I have the PC version backed? Not quite sure how that worked, it's been a while.

Paganmoon

I'm so happy (for Read Thread) that this is coming to the PS4, although I'm pretty sure I have the PC version backed? Not quite sure how that worked, it's been a while.

All backers were backing the PC/Mac/Linux version, since there was no Console version announced during the kickstarter. Hoping for info soon if backers can switch to the new console version though.

sörine

Banned
Worth noting that they're suffering a lot of abuse on Twitter for this from angry assholes. Truly disgusting behavior. I didn't know so many non-backer WiiU owners cared, though it's probably just opportunistic assholism.
Opportunistic assholism and Twitter sort of go hand in hand. Although it's naive to think there wouldn't be any blowback from this too.

If this is sufficiently successful, they will try to remake TLJ.
Hmm, are you talking about The Longest Journey Home? AFAIK, that's a direct P&C sequel to TLJ that covers the aftermath and, well, journey back from the place at the end of TLJ.

sörine;125510099 said:
Opportunistic assholism and Twitter sort of go hand in hand. Although it's naive to think there wouldn't be any blowback from this too.
Oh, I expected it, just not to such a large, vocal, disgusting degree.

Corpekata

Banned

Dreamfall would be far easier to port, it was made with a controller in mind.

TLJ would be way harder than you're giving it credit for.

banagher

Trailer
PS Blog
Dreamfall Chapters is a game about choice and consequence, about how the actions you take and the decisions you make — no matter how small or seemingly insignificant — touch the people around us, and how our lives in turn are shaped by the choices made by others.
We’re storytellers, and we believe video games is the ultimate medium for telling engaging stories. We want the story to be a fundamental and integral part of the gameplay, rather than just the backdrop. Through exploration, discovery and dialogue, through choices and actions, we want our players to connect emotionally with our worlds and characters. And by giving them — you! — the opportunity to shape your own journey through the game, we hope to make our stories uniquely personal and deeply affecting.
14917095631_2f1e7956b4_z.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Every episode except the last episode is released. They are aiming to finish in the next few months. The console port will presumably come after the game has been completed.

Corpekata

Banned
When they realized their game was a huge performance clusterfuck they decided to delay the PS4 version until after the game was complete. Original plan was on Episode 2.

Even with the upgrade in engines I don't know if I think they'll get it running well on consoles.

When they realized their game was a huge performance clusterfuck they decided to delay the PS4 version until after the game was complete. Original plan was on Episode 2.

Even with the upgrade in engines I don't know if I think they'll get it running well on consoles.
I think they'll manage. It's very specific area which suffer from the most issues and many of the changes that came with Unity 5 transition actually panned out and made it so my old desktop can run the game above 30fps (most of the time!).

Of course, Unity on consoles is still a tricky situation, perhaps?

wouwie

According to the developers twitter, there will be more news "soon". It was in alpha a while ago (feature complete & testing).

Don't miss this fantastic adventure game when it's out PS4 owners!
Can't wait for book 5

Btw, why they are using old version of the game for PS4 trailer? Or they're gonna change it? I didn't understand.

Top Bottom