• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory helping on Disney Infinity

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Disney Infinity isn't really known for having even mediocre combat, as far as I know. I'm sure Ninja Theory is perfectly adequate for handling the game.

I would probably say the same thing if they hired any other B tier developer, really.

Ploid 3.0

Disney just need to get it's own dev studio and go to town. Maybe borrow some Pixar potential people. Disney should be all up in the gaming industry and they can do some good stuff with Marvel games while they are at it. They could have some good synergy, though they do already work very closely with devs they have doing things as it is, giving them movie 3d assets for characters and such.

That is absolutely OK, as an independent tudio, they need to make money with sideprojects like this. If that helps them stay successfully independent and do everything they want - everybody wins.

Sounds cool, Ninja Theory isn't the best in the biz, but even Enslaved's combat is a step up from the three-hit combo that was the entire combat system in the first Infinity. And if they have different studios working on different figures, obvious to infer that the figures may play pretty differently from others, which is awesome.

jediyoshi

It's not a false analogy just because you can nitpick it to death.

It is since the entire crux of it is the idea that quality is inherent to either option or one is objectively preferably, unless your original premise was deliberately completely muddy.

Good for Ninja Theory, hopefully the other projects they are working on isn't just collaborations, I wonder if a new Star Wars by Ninja Theory could be in the work, The Force Unleashed 3, maybe?.
I figured they were assisting other projects when they said they had quite a few projects with publishers, but I didn't guess this one.
You think Ninja Theory are working on anything on their own -not collaboration/assisting-?
Avalanche is doing the Avengers & Ultimate Spider-Man play sets, while Studio Gobo is doing the Guardians of the Galaxy play set.
I always confuse them with Avalanche Studios (Just Cause -- Mad Max)

Hystzen

Wait the same NT that had to have Capcom telling then how to make good combat while making DmC because apparently NT sucked so bad at gameplay

Interesting

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Wait the same NT that had to have Capcom telling then how to make good combat while making DmC because apparently NT sucked so bad at gameplay

Interesting
No, the NT that developed DmC fully and only had 10 people from Capcom come in for a few hours once every month for review. People seem to be completely misinformed about how much actual dev time capcom put into the game compared to NT. But no no ignore all that and don't bother checking facts.

Curufinwe

No, the NT that developed DmC fully and only had 10 people from Capcom come in for a few hours once every month for review. People seem to be completely misinformed about how much actual dev time capcom put into the game compared to NT. But no no ignore all that and don't bother checking facts.

Read what Itsuno said about DmC development.

Goron2000

best junior ever
You people are genuine idiots if you actually think that Ninja Theory are bad at combat. There is an infinite list of games with combat not even half as good as NT's output but you keep spouting this deluded elitist nonsense and putting down a talented team that puts a lot of effort into their games.

Silky

Banned
You people are genuine idiots if you actually think that Ninja Theory are bad at combat. There is an infinite list of games with combat not even half as good as NT's output but you keep spouting this deluded elitist nonsense and putting down a talented team that puts a lot of effort into their games.

Ninja Theory has three games that have terrible combat before DmC released. While an improvement DmC still has a lot of issues. I cannot with good faith say that NT are good with combat just because one game washes away their reputation.

They do put in effort. Just not in combat.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Ninja Theory has three games that have terrible combat before DmC released. While an improvement DmC still has a lot of issues. I cannot with good faith say that NT are good with combat just because one game washes away their reputation.

Im just sick of people putting them down after the DMC debacle, they got contracted to do a job and they did it to the best of their abilities. It may not have turned out as well as previous games in the series but they made a good game and do not deserve the venom they get.

DmC has an 86 metacritic score and there isn't a developer outside of Japan that is better than them in that area. This Ninja Theory hate that takes over every thread needs to fucking stop.

DmC has an 86 metacritic score and there isn't a developer outside of Japan that is better than them in that area. This Ninja Theory hate that takes over every thread needs to fucking stop.

Vigil.

Sony Santa monica.

Arguably mercury steam without capcoms help.

Fuck a metacritic. Last time I checked, they didnt grade combat systems in reviews.

Son Of D

Im just sick of people putting them down after the DMC debacle, they got contracted to do a job and they did it to the best of their abilities. It may not have turned out as well as previous games in the series but they made a good game and do not deserve the venom they get.

As someone who prefers the original series (well, other than DMC2) over DmC I have to agree with this. DmC wasn't a terrible game. Sure the gameplay was weaker to me than DMC1, 3 and 4 but it was still a good game. Just not amazing like 1, 3 and 4.

I hope that Hellblade is a good game where they put what they learned from DmC to good use (just please no colour coded enemies. That was crap in DmC).

Ninja Theory hate brigade. Not surprised.

Actually just a DmC hate brigade. You guys should hate Capcom, not NT. Capcom told NT to make things different when NT showed a very conservative pitch.

NT is perfectly capable at combat. Not every game is measured by "every combat below DMC4 is shit". Let it go already.

jett

D-Member
Vigil.

Sony Santa monica.

Arguably mercury steam without capcoms help.

Fuck a metacritic. Last time I checked, they didnt grade combat systems in reviews.

DmC has better combat than either LoS game and any GoW game. Darksiders II is up for debate, but I put DmC above that too.

It's amazing to me that this game keeps getting all this unwarranted hate.

Glass Rebel

I really don't see the point of hiring someone specifically to design some characters because of their "combat experience" for Disney Infinity. NT isn't going to design some DmC style movesets for this game.

NT is perfectly capable at combat. Not every game is measured by "every combat below DMC4 is shit". Let it go already.

When they have Itsuno helping them, sure.

V_Arnold

DmC has better combat than either LoS game and any GoW game. Darksiders II is up for debate, but I put DmC above that too.

Yo! It is not perfect, so it has to be shit.
This is the reasoning. And I am not joking around.

It was fine guys to bash DmC in the principle of it being "held to a higher standard" (because it beared the name Devil May Cry with it), but yeah, two problems here:

a. Making of DmC just put Ninja Theory on top of the western fighting genre
b. Disney Infinity as a name lacks the title "DMC" on it. So....yeah. Your problems with DmC being a DMC game is pretty much irrelevant here.

Easily.

Silky

Banned

They got what they deserved. Shitting on the fanbase, removing key components of DMC's combat like auto lock, color codes bullshit--DmC is a good game, but it's a mediocre DMC entry.

Vigil.

Yeah that's true. DmC is the pinnacle of western character action games.

Crossing Eden

Read what Itsuno said about DmC development.
Why don't you? We have tons of articles from both parties stating that they enjoyed working with each other. And NT still developed the majority of the game with capcom visiting once each month. Working full time, five days a week for three years. You can't twist this into capcom making the bulk of the game or being the reason the combat is good. Sorry.

How surprising. Another Ninja Theory thread turned to shit because bitter dmc fans can't let go of the fact that Capcom came calling and a developer had the audacity to accept their offer. It doesn't matter what the thread is related to, if it has Ninja Theory in the title then the same people will use it as an excuse to vent.

"Without capcoms help"

Darksider 2 is has better combat, GOW3 is a better overall package.

My point still stands. Whether you personally think the game is great is not the point.

NT is not the premier western action dev. Not even close.

And the "hate" comes from them over exaggerating their acheivements. If they said they were brought in because the ship on time and on budget, nobody would of said a word.

If they said they were brought in because they have a better grasp on narrative than most action developers, nobody would say a word, even if the writing for DmC sucked.

But they tried to exaggerate their combat chops (why on earth it is even relevant for DI game is beyond me) which is why people are bring up DmC and their flaws making it.

They brought up juggles for fucks sake. Two of their games didnt even have a jump button.

Crossing Eden

How surprising. Another Ninja Theory thread turned to shit because bitter dmc fans can't let go of the fact that Capcom came calling and a developer had the audacity to accept their offer. It doesn't matter what the thread is related to, if it has Ninja Theory in the title then the same people will use it as an excuse to vent.
It's so ridiculous that this happens in nearly every NT thread. Ugh..there comes a point where we GET IT, there's no point in wasting your time to complain about games generally considered to be good at every single turn, especially when the topic has nothing to do with what you're complaining about.

Ninja Theory hate brigade. Not surprised.

Actually just a DmC hate brigade. You guys should hate Capcom, not NT. Capcom told NT to make things different when NT showed a very conservative pitch.

Every game they've made up to DmC had awful combat, and all DmC proved was how they were able not to shit themselves vy following the orders of someone who actually can make a combat system. I mean they still shit themselves, but not nearly as much than if they made it all by themselves.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I can see where the complaints are coming from. I mean I can definitely imagine that the deep, complex, rewarding combat of Disney Infinity is going to be ruined in exactly the same way that DMC was. If Disney was going to outsource this they should have given it to a developer who knows what they're doing and who could maintain the extremely high level of depth and complexity that the series is known for, such as Platinum Games.

I can see where the complaints are coming from. I mean I can definitely imagine that the deep, complex, rewarding combat of Disney Infinity is going to be ruined in exactly the same way that DMC was. If Disney was going to outsource this they should have given it to a developer who knows what they're doing and who could maintain the extremely high level of depth and complexity that the series is known for, such as Platinum Games.

No ones complaining. This is a good job for NT. Just dont insult our intelligence by firstly saying you have combat expertise worth mentioning and secondly that your expertise is going to be used in a meaningful way for princess jasmine. Come on.

Crossing Eden

No ones complaining. This is a good job for NT. Just dont insult our intelligence by firstly saying you have combat expertise worth mentioning and secondly that your expertise is going to be used in a meaningful way for princess jasmine. Come on.
So who're you to decide that their combat expertise aren't worth mentioning. Not sure that Disney said "hmmm, your trustyle tournaments aren't hardcore enough for us guys." Jesus christ. You guys are judging without even seeing the result.

Ivan 3414

Perfect.

Especially the last part.

So who're you to decide that their combat expertise aren't worth mentioning. Not sure that Disney said "hmmm, your trustyle tournaments aren't hardcore enough for us guys." Jesus christ. You guys are judging without even seeing the result.

Honestly, what are you expecting from this?

They are not even building the combat system for the full game. Just the movesets for 4 characters. Be rational.

If ninja theory want to prove the doubters wrong, hellblade is the avenue to do so.

I see no reason to make this out to be anything else than it is:- a side projects to help pay the bills. If you think some Disney exec was playing DmC and cried out "we need ninja theory!!" You are deluding yourself.

So yes. Pointing your so-called "combat expertise" when you are doing grunt work for a Disney Infinity game is not relevant.

Top Bottom