• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else doing from XL/LL to normal new 3DS?

sörine

Banned
I want to although it depends on what NOA offers me. No white, no SFC buttons, no buy.

I love the vertical cradles.

I'll be going from an XL to a regular new 3DS.

As much as I love the XL after going from the, OG 3DS, the fact that the new 3DS is a size in the middle is the sweet spot for me.

The swappable faceplates are a bonus really.

solomon

Selling my xl soon to buy the regular "new 3ds". They made the screen a little bigger so I have no reason to get a xl. (Honestly would much rather have a sharper image)

v1perz53

I will probably go to the regular new 3DS from my current XL, assuming that it feels good in my hands. They said the screen size of the new 3DS will be 1.2x current 3DS, meaning it will go to 4.24" diagonal, compared to the current XL size of 4.88", which isn't changing according to the dimensions. To me, that is close enough that the better buttons, faceplate changing and better portability of the 3DS win out over the XL, plus I get a better pixel density. And the battery life will be the same as my current 3DS XL, which I am perfectly fine with. Combine with the fact that the new 3DS will be cheaper than the XL, I am sold on the regular version. Overall very happy.

Exuro

I'm going to wait for reviews and see how the ergonomics are on both as well as if it's even worth upgrading. I have a 2ds which I got for cheap so it would be a good upgrade either way. Right now I'm preferring the smaller one mainly due to pixel density and the face plates seem pretty cool, but I'm interested in hearing how they both turn out.

sörine

Banned
I can't give up that XL screen size mang, pixel density be damned
My main concern is control. D-pad placement on the original 3DS was painful but I made do. XL's bigger screen is nice but I think I'd only miss it when playing VC/DS games in original resolution.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kinda tempted, but no, I think the big screen will win out over the smaller, cuter form factor.

is the new XL matte?
It's metallic plastic, which I personally think looks really tacky. I hate it on the newer iPhones, for example.

I am. The only reason I got an XL over the regular 3DS was because the build quality of the regular is horrible. That and I got the special Pikachu edition XL :p But I'm definitely getting a regular New 3DS day one.

sörine;127794374 said:
My main concern is control. D-pad placement on the original 3DS was painful but I made do. XL's bigger screen is nice but I think I'd only miss it when playing VC/DS games in original resolution.

I haven't used an OG in a long time, was there a difference in dpad placement or was it literally just a matter of chasis size?

I'm kinda tempted, but no, I think the big screen will win out over the smaller, cuter form factor.

It's metallic plastic, which I personally think looks really tacky. I hate it on the newer iPhones, for example.

Even on the inside?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure I'll be buying an XL when they come out in the US. But I'll buy a white regular from Japan.

Neo C.

The better battery life is a big plus for the bigger version. I need reviews to finally decide in favour of one, though.

They said the screen size of the new 3DS will be 1.2x current 3DS, meaning it will go to 4.24" diagonal, compared to the current XL size of 4.88", which isn't changing according to the dimensions.
Go check your math again, yo. It's notably shorter than 4.24". Remember, a 20% increase in area is a simple 10-ish % increase in the diagonal.

ZeroX03

Banned
BwNcTaRIgAE4-Id.jpg:large

If this model is available in the west with the interchangeable covers, absolutely.

Isotope

I'd go XL personally, but that white n3DS with the SFC colored buttons is amazing. Of course, I doubt the U.S. will get that (Or possibly a SNES version), so getting the XL version won't seem like a hard choice.

I will upgrade. My 3DS XL's panels are lose and starting to fall off for some reason.
The better battery life, faster CPU and "New" exclusive games are reason alone though.

I'm divided on the OG New and XL New though. I'd miss my XL's screen size I think, though I hate how everything looks blown up on it. I'd be happy with a 4.5" screen and better pixel density, but the small one is only 3.8". Better than my original 3DS and it would look nicer, but still maybe just a tad too small I think.

lewisgone

Face plates and the cool coloured buttons make it a no brainer for me. I never had an OG 3DS, so it will be nice to have my eventual two 3DS's be different sizes. Reason I got the XL originally was for better battery, nicer form factor and it was a special edition so it had a custom front. Now the New standard 3DS has all those features and better portability, it didn't take much consideration. Plus I'm hoping it will be cheaper.

Genio88

I've had the normal size 3ds from launch, then i replaced it with the XL version when it came out, i'd never come back to the normal one, those big screen are to confortable, even if they have a worse pixel density and its larger dimension are not a problem to me. Now i still don't know if i'm gonna buy a new 3ds, cause i want to see what its exclusives will be other than Xenoblade, which doesn't interest me, but if i'll buy it i'll definitely buy the XL one

v1perz53

sörine;127794374 said:

Ugh wrong thread sorry.

Eusis

People need to realize that the NEW 3DS screen isn't the same size as the OG 3DS screen. The system as a whole is larger too.

I doubt most people actual read this or know this though.
A good chunk of those that DO know probably also want to wait too. How will the 3D safe zone compare between models? If there's no difference N3DS XL may be preferable. Else, regular N3DS may be nice to use, especially in this day and age of high DPI phones and tablets.

Of course, if Nintendo would so something about authorizing and syncing multiple units maybe some of us would go "why not both?" and pick up both systems for messing around or depending on the situation.

Orayn

I'm considering this. The new standard 3DS seems like it would have a big enough screen without the whole unit being too bulky. Also, faceplates.

Phoenixus

I'm considering it. The XL screens are great and all but I'd prefer more focused screens and a more portable form factor. Changeable faceplate and a cheaper price are icing on the cake really. Might just preorder both models and cancel whichever one doesn't pass the hands-on test. :p

npa189

I might, I miss the PPI and form factor. The XL is just a beast of a handheld, I just wish nintendo could get the screen/bezel ratio right on the small size. It looks like a device from 15 years ago still.

Alex

I am, I said this in another topic but while I liked the XL for the DSi and it's 2D games and simple 3D visuals I really didn't care for it on the 3DS. The added detail and visual types look really poor blown up any extra. The XL was a better system overall, compared to the 3DS, but the screens were a downgrade, IMO.

oti

Banned
BwNcTaRIgAE4-Id.jpg:large

If this model is available in the west with the interchangeable covers, absolutely.

I want this model with this faceplate. It will also feel more new compared to my 3DS XL. I hope Nintendo will introduce a white, non metallic N3DSXL at some point. I don't mind switching machines. Went from black OG 3DS to silver XL on day one to white XL this year.

Glass Joe

The big plus for the XL is the comfort of it in my hands, though obviously portability and screen resolution are cons. I don't see the New 3DS adding much that I really feel a need to upgrade immediately though.

Oibignose

Whilst I love my xl i will be getting to smaller of the updated models if it feels ok in my hands as I find it more aesthetically pleasing. Also my kids are the main users and they sometimes struggle with the xl's size.

Top Bottom