• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else doing from XL/LL to normal new 3DS?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'm like 6:4 in favor of the new LL but everything other than the screen looks better on the regular model. If they had just added another additional 20% increase I'd bite on the regular model for sure.

Kawika

I love those face buttons on the new 3DS. I'm not so sure that will be the same set up once NoA gets a hold of it. The pixel density on the XL/LL isn't as much of an issue compared to the eye strain that will be caused by the smaller screen.

Maybe I should wait for the XLi that will have a normal sized analog stick.

Mononoke

Banned
don't like matte?

I like it way better than the OG's glossy shit :/ gets really yucky when it's hot and all that sweat from my hands, gawd. might be my own problem.

Agreed. Damn I'm still torn on whether to drop down from my old XL to the regular NEW 3DS. I really like the sliding plates + the form factor of it. But the screen size is pretty substantial.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just realized the regular new3ds is roughly the same screen size as the PSPgo (3.8 in). Gonna play on that for a while and see how I feel.

Saro

So torn between them. I've had both 3DSes and I'm leaning towards the smaller n3ds. The larger form factor of the XL is nice but it still gives me hand cramps so I'll manage. On the plus side the smaller n3DS is slightly larger than the OG3DS and better battery life is good.

God, keeping up with the acronyms are killing me. Nintendo needs a new branch dedicated to naming their devices:p

540060F24057B9000B

Hnnnngnggggggggg

I really don't need to buy a fifth 3DS...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If Nintendo had announced the XL with SNES buttons and faceplates, I'd have double dipped. But because they didn't, I'm going to hold off and see what software they release to make the new one worthwhile

(plus any other benefits like smoother/faster miiverse, eshop, and better 3D sweetspot)

Even with the lower perceived resolution, the XL screen size is perfect for me - pretty much the same size as Vita. I mostly use mine at home so portability isn't a huge issue (and the XL isn't that much bigger or more expensive). The smaller one just feels like bad value.

Personally for the west I think they should just release the XL (with SNES buttons and faceplates). Can't see retail particularly wanting to stock three SKUs so close in price to each other.

GcRayden

I was really hoping that with the release of this 3DS, they would announce the system being region lock free so I could finally pick up some of the cool Japanese games. I'm currently learning Japanese in my free time and having a region lock free 3DS would be the coolest thing ever. I was half-considering getting a flash card for this feature alone, but I'm scared that my 3DS will get flagged or something.

I'm not sure why Nintendo made it this way, but It's really depresses me that I'm going to need two versions of a 3DS in order to play games from both countries. All I want is to be able to play both American and Japanese games on my 3DS. Why is that so hard to understand, Nintendo!?

Do you think making a petition for this feature would change anything?

I was really hoping that with the release of this 3DS, they would announce the system being region lock free so I could finally pick up some of the cool Japanese games. I'm currently learning Japanese in my free time and having a region lock free 3DS would be the coolest thing ever. I was half-considering getting a flash card for this feature alone, but I'm scared that my 3DS will get flagged or something.

I'm not sure why Nintendo made it this way, but It's really depresses me that I'm going to need two versions of a 3DS in order to play games from both countries. All I want is to be able to play both American and Japanese games on my 3DS. Why is that so hard to understand, Nintendo!?

Do you think making a petition for this feature would change anything?

A petition has long been running.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
OP, I'm probably doing the exact opposite.
I still have my OG 3DS acqua blue from day one, but the New 3DS XL is tempting.
The fact is that I changed my gaming behaviours, and now I usually play at home: I also bring the console with me at the summer vacation house, but also there I use it inside and not outside. So, the bigger screen and the longer battery could be interesting for me. About the "New", whell if I'll change my OG there is no reason to buy for the old model.

Personally I really dislike the pixel density on the XL. After being used to a Vita and iPhone, picking up a 3DS XL feels immediately worse.

Why would i go from my 3DS XL to a regular New 3DS?
I'm so damn pleased with the big screen and everything that if anything I'd go from 3DS XL to New 3DS XL. No other option for me.

xJavonta

Banned
Only if the white is available. That's literally what sold me on it. I've been aching for a white 3DS and this thing has enough improvements to make it worth it

Litri

I will be doing it. Got the Zelda XL but after a while I thought it was to much for my hands... It was a real impulsive buy. New 3DS is the way to go.

I swear they better keep the SFC buttons, but yeah Ill be going with the normal sized one. The slight increase in size is enough for me, and the XL is too big to fit in some things IMO.

Tizoc

Can someone post what New 3DS bundles were announced or planned?
Cuz I'd totall buy a Xenoblade N3DS bundle :p

eXistor

I'm still on the fence. The larger screen is nice, but there's a noticable decline in image quality. I'd have to see them for myself before I make a decision.

How did you come to own 4 3DSs??

Bought the Zelda special edition original 3DS, bought my girlfriend (now wife) a pink 3DS XL, got jealous and wanted my own XL so I got the Animal Crossing special edition XL, and then we bought a DQM2 special edition 3DS LL to play JPN only games.

Hopefully there aren't a lot of "New" exclusives.

Top Bottom