• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else doing from XL/LL to normal new 3DS?

BowieZ

Banned
Slightly different tangent, but this may get me to move from my limited edition Super Mushroom 3DS to a New 3DS... with the Super Mushroom faceplate of course!

ah_hia

I need more exclusive games that will make use of the features before I commit. Will go for XL when that happens.

Jashobeam

I love the colored buttons on the new 3ds, but I doubt we will get those colors in North America because those colors are associated with the Super Famicom not the SNES.

jamsy

I think I'll be doing this.

I never owned an original 3DS, but I got an XL a few months ago, and man, this thing is huge, heavy and unattractive. The DS Lite was such a sleek, nice looking system, whereas the XL is just, ugh. And all the people advocating the larger screens most not notice the giant half inch pixels that appear in every game.

Not to mention, the shitty build quality on XLs. My screen hinge is loose as all hell, and my charger port completely broke - had to get it fixed at a shop, and it's still wonky as hell. Mind you, I'm super careful with my things, and barely even play the 3DS.

zakujanai

I've always enjoyed handheld consoles (GBA Advance SP is one of my favourite consoles ever) but my Vita and 3DS XL have been played on less than any other I've previously bought. The main reason is they're just too big to carry around comfortably and without a bag and when I'm home I usually just play on PS3/PS4.

I think I'll make the downgrade to see if I actually take it with me when I go out. If I still don't then at least it'll have pretty buttons and faceplates I guess.

Has anyone mentioned the prospect of a *new* 2DS? The Direct was Japan only and that region does not have the current 2DS. Perhaps when this is officially announced for the west we will see three models.
I've been eyeing the current 2DS just because it's weird and I like it, but I would only use it as a secondary system. The lack of an account system that allows me to share across multiple systems keeps me from this.
That said, I waited until the XL came out in black to dive into the 3DS family and I only bought an XL because it's design is inherently superior to the creaky, ugly OG model. If that beautiful model with the candy-coated buttons comes to NA, I'll be going with the standard size.

MLH

Tempted to, I really need a hands-on impression to make a final decision.

I own a DSi and DSi XL and I enjoy both but prefer the XL due to the bigger screens and general looks (matte rough-textured base, glossy top - all round good looking).

But with the n3DS and n3DS XL I have additional concerns - I want the n3DS XL for the bigger screens but...
Firstly weight - unlike the DSi XL the current 3DS XL is too heavy; my wrists feel fatigue much quicker.
Secondly - button positions, I've tried to hold my current 3DS XL in a position where I can "press" the ZL & ZR buttons and it's uncomfortable. So I'm thinking the smaller n3DS will be easier to hold?
Finally looks - The n3DS looks better over the XL version IMO. The XL has a weird sparkly plastic and offers no customization, whereas the n3DS looks great - reminding me of the SFC - it looks like a toy and I like that.

The only disadvantage I can see the n3DS has are the smaller screens - but it has better pixel density so arguably better image quality.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I'm considering it. The regular New 3DS looks so neat. DSi inspired design (matte!), custom faceplates and colored buttons.

RiggyRob

I'm considering it, cause the screen is bigger than the OG 3DS and the faceplates look extremely nice, but I think I'll wait to see what games the New 3DS gets.

If it gets a new Fire Emblem and Persona 5 Platinum, that'll push me over the edge to get it I think.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Yes, I'm going to New 3ds (regular).

DSi had I perfect with form factor, screens, and better life. That handheld was utterly amazing.

New 3DS seems to be returning to that, kind of. It's a bit thicker and the battery isn't as good but the bottom screen size reduction from DSi to OG 3DS was a bad move.

The XL is good, too, but the ppi isn't brilliant and it's too big for me to carry around without a bag.

Plus, the N3DS has Super Famicom buttons!

Ragus

Banned
In. What I like about XL over classic is better dpad, better battery and better ergonomics (for me). Screen size doesn't really bother me. I use devices with 4, 5 and 8 inches all the time and I quickly adjust to it.

All the things which I've mentioned above seem to be improved in new Classic. So it's a no brainer for me. Now, for the colour...

... I don't know.

zeromcd73

XL seems to be satin and regular seems to be matte, but we'll have to wait until hands-on impressions to be certain.

Has there even been a satin handheld before? I always thought they were either matte or glossy.

Personally not a big fan of matte, hoping the XL is satin :)

Koren

Seeing how many people (myself included) value the super famicom color buttons so much, I wonder why Nintendo don't try to use them more...

I would probably buy quicky a U pad with super famicom vibes (mostly color buttons, and if it's not glossy, it's an insta-buy)

Definitely the New XL, I love my bigger screen size. Especially with games that'll be needing it like Monster Hunter. Plus, it doesn't help that my vision isn't so great. Glasses here!

Frodo

Although the coloured buttons will be missed, I'm probably sticking with the bigger screen. However, I'm only making my mind when I try both in my hands and see how they feel.

oti

Banned
Seeing how many people (myself included) value the super famicom color buttons so much, I wonder why Nintendo don't try to use them more...

I would probably buy quicky a U pad with super famicom vibes (mostly color buttons, and if it's not glossy, it's an insta-buy)

And if the signal doesn't drop just a few meters away from the console. Damn you German walls damn you! *shakes fist*

synce

Before the new 3DS was announced I considered an XL but now I'm definitely getting the standard version. XL is redundant since now both models are identical except one has a worse pixel density and slightly better battery (as if you're ever going to take that behemoth outside)

NewGame

Banned
Okay I don't know if this is 100% confirmed but doesn't the N3DS OG have the faceplates where as the N3DS XL does not?

I really freaking love those faceplates. Nintendo why do you do this to me.

HUELEN10

Okay I don't know if this is 100% confirmed but doesn't the N3DS OG have the faceplates where as the N3DS XL does not?

I really freaking love those faceplates. Nintendo why do you do this to me.

It is definitely the case that only the non-XL unit has faceplates. If you are going Xl though, there will be LEs for it, so that's something at least.

Glass Rebel

I'm strongly leaning towards the regular n3DS.

I do like bigger screens on my handhelds but aside from that I think I prefer the n3DS over the XL because of the coloured buttons, matte finish, faceplates and weight. The screen is also a bit larger than the OG 3DS so that's a plus.

Of course, the real test is going to be actually holding both of them in my hand.

I doubt we get the Famicom colored buttons in the US, but if we do I am all in! I also noticed that even though the buttons are not colored, the letters on the new XL are.

oti

Banned
It is definitely the case that only the non-XL unit has faceplates. If you are going Xl though, there will be LEs for it, so that's something at least.

I'm so glad I don't collect stuff. I couldn't care less about LEs. I got the white XL and I thought I was done this gen. Now that normal new 3DS came along...

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I don't have an XL just a regular 3ds, but sadly I'm waiting to see what kind of faceplates they'll have at launch and how much they cost before I decide on the normal new 3ds or an XL. They both have themes right? I wonder if Nintendo will enable themes for the old 3ds.

Ryne

Comparison shots:

Screenshot+%2860%29.png

Screenshot+%2858%29.png

I think I will stick with the new XL, I like the size too much. Can't cramp my hands, I got big ones and it hurts :(

Galdelico

The New 3DS looks really nice, with all the fancy coloured buttons and its faceplate feature but I'm not entirely convinced just because of the screen size... In the end, it's not going to be 1:1 compared to the OG 3DS, so I assume image quality will be screwed as well as with the actual XL/new LL model.
The only difference is that, now, the improved 3D effect and the sweet satin finish may defintely help me to deal a bit better with the bigger screen.

Katsuragi

The 3DS XL is perhaps my favorite handheld system, but I might buy a regular N3DS later down the road. All thanks to the faceplates and colored buttons!

Bravocado

While a lot of my friends praise the pixel density on the regular 3DS/2DS, I'm going to go XL. I have large hands and mediocre short-range vision, so it'll probably be more comfortable for longer sessions, in my case.

I am :)

See my post in the "Should I Get The n3DS or the n3DS XL?" thread.

Chû Totoro;127807400 said:
I actually have an XL (and had a classic 3DS before that) but I'm going back to normal size.

XL is awesome but this time New classic 3DS :
- Snes colored buttons
- faceplates
- cheaper than XL
- and screen size is a little bigger than og 3DS

So only two arguments for XL I think are :
- battery duration
- size of the screen

I never had an issue with battery since I don't play out of my place more than 3 hours a day (even if I let my 3DS on all day for StreetPass) and like I said bigger screen is good but since resolution don't change and New 3DS screen is already a little bigger that's enough for me :)

Pick your pros / cons and do the math OP ;)

Zing

Banned
Not going to lie, the XL is just too big for me. It was really cool at first, but now I'm really looking forward to better pixel density and a more compact system.

The XL seems quite universally liked, but more me it was more that the original 3DS has design faults, and not the size.
I agree completely. I enjoy the XL, but not due to the screen size. It fixes a few other minor issues (reflectivity, stylus, etc).

I can't wait to switch back to the smaller form factor.

Definitely plan to go from XL to new 3DS. At the time there were too many perks to the XL compared to the OG model to even consider that one but faceplates and not being the heaviest handheld ever made makes the new model an obvious choice to me. A redesigned regular sized model was what I always wanted anyway, just never thought it would actually happen.

Business

I currenty have an XL and I'm tempted by the new one on regular size now that it's got this slight size bump, I'll have to hold it in my hands to decide.

Top Bottom