• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm amazed by how many people prefer the earlier "Family Guy".

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrisus

I liked the show before it got cancelled. But I was a sophomore in high school, I think, at the time. Then after it was brought back, my tastes started changing. I've seen a few episodes from the first season since then, and I didn't find them as funny as I remembered. The show can still make me chuckle occasionally though.

<checks>
Yeah, I was 16 when the show first debuted, 20 when it was cancelled, and 22 at the start of their 2nd run.

Just never found it appealing in the least.

I liked the show before it got cancelled. But I was a sophomore in high school, I think, at the time. Then after it was brought back, my tastes started changing. I've seen a few episodes from the first season since then, and I didn't find them as funny as I remembered. The show can still make me chuckle occasionally though.
This is how I feel now.
This show now has great bits here and there but as a whole American Dad is way better.

Early family guy and recent family guy are great. It was only a couple of seasons somewhere in the middle where Brian was being all preachy and it just wasn't funny while all the best writers were starting up american dad. Now they are both good

Pre-cancellation Family Guy definitely wasn't the most ground breaking gut busting show ever created but it was a lot more sincere, less mean spirited, and a bit more entertaining than post-cancellation FG.
I can see why some fans prefer the earlier seasons over the new stuff.

agrajag

Banned
This is how I feel now.

I remember being pissed when they cancelled Family Guy and brought on Futurama instead. I felt that it was unfair and that Futurama got preferential treatment, since it was made by the same people as The Simpsons. I thought Futurama was cheesy and not as "edgy" as Family Guy at the time. In retrospect, Futurama turned out to be a much funnier and clever show imo.

This show now has great bits here and there but as a whole American Dad is way better.

Well, you lost me there, lol. I cannot stand the Alien and Talking Fish characters.

braves01

Banned
Well, you lost me there, lol. I cannot stand the Alien and Talking Fish characters.

The talking fish sucks, even the writers know it, so he's become the Meg of American Dad. Roger is similar to Stewie but a lot more flexible, and has a much partner in Steve than Stewie has in Brian. Likewise, I think the Stan/Fran plots are generally a lot stronger than anything with Lois and Peter.

Source

While I like Roger, I can see why others don't. As for the fish, he doesn't get much screen time anyways.

What's not to like?

giphy.gif

Mikey Jr.

Pre cancelled family guy was God tier. Bought all 3 seasons.

PPost cancellation family guy is literally garbage. No idea what the fuck happened.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I remember being pissed when they cancelled Family Guy and brought on Futurama instead. I felt that it was unfair and that Futurama got preferential treatment, since it was made by the same people as The Simpsons. I thought Futurama was cheesy and not as "edgy" as Family Guy at the time. In retrospect, Futurama turned out to be a much funnier and clever show imo.

Incorrect. Futurama did not turn out to be a much funnier and clever show, it always was.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The talking fish sucks, even the writers know it, so he's become the Meg of American Dad. Roger is similar to Stewie but a lot more flexible, and has a much partner in Steve than Stewie has in Brian. Likewise, I think the Stan/Fran plots are generally a lot stronger than anything with Lois and Peter.

Easily. Stan and francine dont seem like they are merelt tolerating each other for the sake of the kids.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'm amazed anyone can like PC FG. The earlier seasons were fantastic. Peter actually loved his family. I don't know when they decided to make him an annoying asshole, but it ruined the show. Funny enough, it's much the same problem I had with Homer. They just made him dumber and meaner.

D-Pad

I read every post in here in a random Family Guy / American Dad character's voice. In my head, I mean, not out loud. Heh, I haven't done anything like that out loud since my part time stage gig as Beeper the Motormouth. *cue flashback scene*

Nerdkiller

Membeur
You know, I feel that people are a bit too harsh on Family Guy and by extension, The Cleveland Show. Especially considering that it took the cancellation of the show for it to actually evolve out of being a more lowbrow version of the Simpsons where they stopped being another parody of the nuclear family and into the more bizarre, snarky, at times deranged set of characters that...I'll say it, come off as more interesting in my eyes. I'm not gonna say that it's on the level of The Simpsons when it was at that peak, because (if you think I am for saying the post cancellation characters were more resonant to me) that's just insane, but I still think the product as a whole is still pretty good, both halves of the series and all. Besides, if you want a show that's more like the original Family Guy (well...too bad, because it just got cancelled), go watch The Cleveland Show, because I feel that there's some stuff in there that you might like. Hell, Cleveland Jr. is a more genuine nerd character than what is generally considered the norm for television.

But yeah, American Dad still beats both.

I feel like Stewie has somewhat of an arc. His motives, opinions, general philosophy, and relationships change over the course of the show.
It was the Stewie Kills Lois that really helped him evolve quite a bit by ending the whole "matricidal, world conquering" baby shtick that really should have stayed in the early seasons.

I'm amazed anyone can like PC FG. The earlier seasons were fantastic. Peter actually loved his family. I don't know when they decided to make him an annoying asshole, but it ruined the show. Funny enough, it's much the same problem I had with Homer. They just made him dumber and meaner.
Oh please, they weren't that great. Good...but not great.

Daft Bird

I really like Family Guy....and American Dad

I think that the first season was okay but then after that they all were of similar quality except for I think it was season five that had the New England Patriot football episode, still my favorite.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I didn't know people could like American Dad and not like Roger.

Like that show is the Roger & Steve show for me and my friends.

GorillaJu

I think the second or third season were charming at times and had some good episodes in there. Overall it's all terrible though, especially the post-cancellation episodes.

The first seasons actually had a structure/purpose. The Griffins were a typical sitcom family that were put into situations far outside sitcom conventions and confronted head-on with all of the established tropes on mainstream TV and movies. Basically it was a parody of sitcoms with a lot of other pop culture thrown in.

That's why the theme song starts with a parody of [edit]All in the Family, and features the characters referring to a simpler time before "Violence in movies and sex on TV." It's basically, "Here's a classic sitcom family," but the joke being that the show is a raunchy parody of that concept. The show's name itself comes across as a sitcom pitch with no effort put into it. "It's a show about a.... family... guy. Yeah! Family Guy!"
I also assume this is why there's a TV in the logo.

W71NzNC.png

Post-cancellation that structure was discarded for whatever the hell Macfarlane wanted, with no character consistency or over-arching parody. The opening theme song and logo are relics of what the original idea was supposed to be.

Varna

I didn't know people could like American Dad and not like Roger.

Like that show is the Roger & Steve show for me and my friends.

The later seasons have gone the way of Family Guy though... just keeps getting crazier and crazier. Not nearly as enjoyable.

American Dad managed to run 9 seasons without character assassinating any of the main cast, and it's funnier than Family Guy ever was.

sounds like somebody hasn't watched american dad

I've been told multiple times that American Dad is a much more character driven, less over the top, and overall better show, but I've been watching it (or trying to) recently since I ran out of TV on Netflix and I don't see it. I got to the episode where they went on vacation and ate someone and it just seems like more of the same kind of show.

The animation is indeed rather assy, but the difference in humor is night and day.

There's an occasional gem every now and then (Road to the Multiverse comes to mind), but it's mostly just gem.

By the way, did they seriously troll people with bringing Brian back to life?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Roger was likable in the beginning. Then, just like FG, they turned him into an asshole.

He's a catalyst though, he doesn't have to be likeable in the traditional sense. He sets events in motion, and he's an alien, so he has an excuse for being there to only exist for humor since he doesn't have the same courtesy that humans would expect.

J10

Banned
The first seasons actually had a structure/purpose. The Griffins were a typical sitcom family that were put into situations far outside sitcom conventions and confronted head-on with all of the established tropes on mainstream TV and movies. Basically it was a parody of sitcoms with a lot of other pop culture thrown in.

That's why the theme song starts with a parody of The Honeymooners, and features the characters referring to a simpler time before "Violence in movies and sex on TV." It's basically, "Here's a classic sitcom family," but the joke being that the show is a raunchy parody of that concept. The show's name itself comes across as a sitcom pitch with no effort put into it. "It's a show about a.... family... guy. Yeah! Family Guy!"

W71NzNC.png

Post-cancellation that structure was discarded for whatever the hell Macfarlane wanted, with no character consistency or over-arching parody. The opening theme song and logo are relics of what the original idea was supposed to be.

All In The Family

cDNA

That's why the theme song starts with a parody of The Honeymooners, and features the characters referring to a simpler time before "Violence in movies and sex on TV." It's basically, "Here's a classic sitcom family," but the joke being that the show is a raunchy parody of that concept. The show's name itself comes across as a sitcom pitch with no effort put into it. "It's a show about a.... family... guy. Yeah! Family Guy!"

W71NzNC.png

The song is a parody of All in the Family https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F9vRVyV914

Damn. Beaten

Raonak

Banned
First season or so was okay, then it got way better, then worse. But I watched an episode recently, and it was pretty good.

I donno, I quite like the randomness and loose structure.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Family Guy in the start but now I can take it or leave it. I hated American Dad in the start but now I love it.

Davey Cakes

There are definitely some differences with the characters in the first two seasons that make them more tolerable. I also preferred the "worse" animation because it actually had some charm to it. The newer eps look so mass-produced in comparison.

Madness

The seasons before cancellation were godtier. I still own the DVD's and could easily crack up laughing. The seasons after, the quality has just declined in the sense it wasn't the same show.

It's sort of like the Simpsons. Also, remember, it was fans like me, and others who bought the original seasons on DVD, wrote to fox or complained that got Family Guy back on the air. I just no longer watch it. American Dad is leagues better now than Family Guy.

I one time started crying with cramps because I couldn't stop laughing so hard when Peter hurts his knee and goes "ahh, ooooh, ahh" in that Pawtucket Patriot willy Wonka episode.

I don't like the Meg bashing, toilet humor and the humor based on violence of the new seasons. But I still find it pretty funny sometimes. I don't mind the constant flashbacks and insincerity and loose structure. I don't care if the show is borderline incoherent and is just crazy nonsense, as long as it's funny.

120v

early Family Guy I guess you had to have been there. before that there weren't many shows like it, now with the Adult Swim and whatnot it's sort of old hat now.

Post cancellation focuses way too much on shock humor and overdone gags to my liking. The earlier episodes had a more likable cast and the jokes felt more organic (and funny).

Sojgat

I've been told multiple times that American Dad is a much more character driven, less over the top, and overall better show, but I've been watching it (or trying to) recently since I ran out of TV on Netflix and I don't see it. I got to the episode where they went on vacation and ate someone and it just seems like more of the same kind of show.

It's a similar brand of humor (minus the terrible cutaway jokes), but It is more character driven. Stan always has motivations for acting like a moron/asshole, whereas Peter just appears to be possessed by a demon with a brain injury.

I liked the show before it got cancelled. But I was a sophomore in high school, I think, at the time.

Man, I was only 12. Now I'm 28. Man, this show is old. Never really did watch it though. My parents didn't want to watch it when it premiered, so I didn't. Then my dad complained about how Stewie was gay and Peter was bashing Christians, so we never really watched it...even though Dad became a fan of American Dad later...which premiered when I was 18.

Well to be fair, I was almost 13 and 19 respectively. They both premiered after Super Bowls and my birthday isn't even a month later.

Xevren

I liked the early seasons of Family Guy, it's really hit or miss anymore. I adore the hell out of American Dad, it's one of my favorite shows that I look forward to. Gonna be weird having to watch the new episodes on TBS, for whatever reason the channel rarely works on Time Warner for me. Bleh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom