• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 PC Steam pre-load is live

derExperte

I think I've found a temporary solution for anyone who is experiencing crashes: try rolling back your GPU driver. I did and have not been having any problems since.

To what version? I'm using the not 100% officially released 340.76 because it and its predecessor boosted W_D performance noticeably despite being meant for OpenGL stuff. Now that I'm done it wouldn't hurt to go back to an older one.

What CPU/RAM/Resolution?

(sorry if this has been asked before)

2500K non-oc, GTX660 non-Ti 2GB, 16GB, 1080p

Lanrutcon

Not hearing good things about this game's performance.

I'll wait until there's word about a future patch or something.

To what version? I'm using the not 100% officially released 340.76 because it and its predecessor boosted W_D performance noticeably despite being meant for OpenGL stuff. Now that I'm done it wouldn't hurt to go back to an older one.

I'm using 337.8 and am continuing to have no problems.

kudoboi

so after playing it for 2 hours......

the game runs at 30FPS (even with the FPS unlocked) and dips to 20 FPS when there are a lot of zombies.

the game graphics settings were changed to medium with blur and a bunch of other effects turned off. AFAIK only ambient occlusion was switched on. AF was set to 2x and AA was set to FXAA. texture settings was at 1080P. V Sync is switched on due to bad screen tearing i experienced

my PC specs was i7-2500K @ 3.4 or 3.5 GHZ
16GB RAM
HD7870 2GB

this is to give an idea on how the game will run for people with similar rig to mine

the game runs at 30FPS (even with the FPS unlocked) and dips to 20 FPS when there are a lot of zombies.

the game graphics settings were changed to medium with blur and a bunch of other effects turned off. AFAIK only ambient occlusion was switched on. AA was set to 2x and AF was set to FXAA. texture settings was at 1080P. V Sync is switched on due to bad screen tearing i experienced

my PC specs was i5-2500K @ 3.4 or 3.5 GHZ
16GB RAM
HD7870 2GB

this is to give an idea on how the game will run for people with similar rig to mine

Yeah I guess it will run almost equally on mine when I turn some additional settings off (AA is always a big performance sink for me).

Also how do you set AF to FXAA? :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's almost done pre-loading. How do i use a VPN to access it?

Exit Steam, connect to TunnelBear's JP server, restart Steam and initiate the unlock (it has servers in Japan and there are no session limits; just make sure nothing is downloading while connected as free accounts are limited to 500MB per day). You should be able to kill the VPN and continue with decryption, unless Valve's changed something recently. Once Steam has finished unpacking the pre-load data, exit Steam again, reconnect to the VPN, and then restart Steam (this is a little quicker than waiting for Steam to pick up on your IP change).

Denzar

Ouch, that's bad news...

Specs are almost the same as yours (10GB RAM) and your experience does not bode well for me.

Time to upgrade my graphics card, I presume.

I only tried it out for a short while. I did not unlock the frame rate but i thought it run pretty smooth for me.

i5 3570
HD 7950

pahamrick

My best friend who I family share with is letting me log onto his account so I can download then use the VPN to activate and play some today while he's at work.

Time to see how horribly this runs on my aged HD5870s, since apparently it doesn't support SLI/Crossfire.

Should be fun!

My system and my friend's system are nearly identical, only difference is his is OC'd is higher and he's got SLI GTX770s.

i7 920 (3.6 me vs 3.8/w HT him)
12 GB Ram

I'll drop some comments later on performance, I think there's a few other gaffers with systems similar to mine kicking about.

Currently unpacking mine atm....hoping I can at least run the game at low settings.

Will post results with my setup:

i5-2500k
8gb ram
7850 2gb

Vuze

the game graphics settings were changed to medium with blur and a bunch of other effects turned off. AFAIK only ambient occlusion was switched on. AF was set to 2x and AA was set to FXAA. texture settings was at 1080P. V Sync is switched on due to bad screen tearing i experienced

my PC specs was i5-2500K @ 3.4 or 3.5 GHZ
16GB RAM
HD7870 2GB

Well sheet... didn't expect it to dip into the 20s at medium. Thanks for the impression.

UnrealEck

Seems the general consensus is that DR3 isn't a particularly well built game. The graphics looks really strange. Like it's really washy and blurry with strange colour.

Exit Steam, connect to TunnelBear's JP server, restart Steam and initiate the unlock (it has servers in Japan and there are no session limits; just make sure nothing is downloading while connected as free accounts are limited to 500MB per day). You should be able to kill the VPN and continue with decryption, unless Valve's changed something recently. Once Steam has finished unpacking the pre-load data, exit Steam again, reconnect to the VPN, and then restart Steam (this is a little quicker than waiting for Steam to pick up on your IP change).

Do you need to stay connected to play? Thanks

Romir

This game works with g-sync on the rog swift and its glorious. It's the best demonstration yet since the fps is always under 60 with a 780 Ti at 1440p.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Did you guys install it on an SSD? The loading times are fine for me. Until it crashs that is.
Mines installed on a 7200RPM 64MB SATA3 so it shouldn't have huge problems. I haven't actually been able to play the game, just refuses to go out of loading.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do you need to stay connected to play? Thanks

As derExperte days, it's not required, but playing a game while Steam doesn't actually consider you in-game will break Steamworks functionality. You could also just switch to Offline Mode if you'd prefer to not stay connected to the VPN.

Mohasus

Played for a while (a little after reaching the diner)

3570k (4.3Ghz) - I think I've seen the usage up to 80%.
660 2GB (slightly OCed)
16GB 1866Mhz
Adaptive V-sync

45-60 fps during gameplay (720p), drops as low as 20 during cutscenes (horrible tearing during them)

No problems with Xbox One controller.

edit: crashed twice in a row.

Currently unpacking mine atm....hoping I can at least run the game at low settings.

Will post results with my setup:

i5-2500k
8gb ram
7850 2gb

Running at low settings (about to try and raise some), but ultimately having no issues running the game so far. At least none of the aforementioned crashes some seemed to be having.

pahamrick

i7 920 3.6ghz
HD Radeon 5870
12GB Ram

Its .. just not playable for me, sadly. Crossfire scaling is currently negative, and with only one 5870 I was getting constant hits into the low teens / sub 10fps once you can actually drive around the city even on the absolute lowest settings at 720p resolution.

Cutscenes were almost always 15fps or less.

Going to hope AMD gets crossfire support going soon, or I'll have to wait until I can upgrade late next year.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just died after playing an hour long session, and the game took at least 5 minutes to load my checkpoint. Might have been as high as 8 minutes.

This is one shoddy port. I can't remember a game taking this long to load since the disaster launch of SiN back in the 90s.

A real shame as the game is actually pretty damn fun if you can deal with the frame rate drops.

Afro

sounds like i'll be waiting for some optimization before playing. all i ask for is a steady 60fps @ 1080p on my i7 3770/gtx 770 rig. think there's still hope?

synce

So I guess you're fucked if you're on a laptop? I'm running i7 2760qm, gtx 560m, and 8gb ram... Can I at least get 30fps on 720p low?

KainXVIII

Played for a while (a little after reaching the diner)

3570k (4.3Ghz) - I think I've seen the usage up to 80%.
660 2GB (slightly OCed)
16GB 1866Mhz
Adaptive V-sync

1440p med (says 720p in the advanced options):
45-60 fps during gameplay, drops as low as 20 during cutscenes (horrible tearing during them)

720p high:
pretty much the same thing, less drops though

No problems with Xbox One controller.

edit: changing the internal resolution kills my FPS. :(
I'll have to play this on TV.

Did this game has xbox one button prompts (and even impulse triggers support)?

ys45

Ouch, my 560 TI is gonna bleed then

I got :

16gb ram
I7 2600 @ 3.5 ghz
Geforce 560 TI

Guess Il wait, maybe Capcom will optimize the game

AJLma

Strange to see this running so poorly on 780Ti's when the XB1 hardware doesn't even compare.

Eager to see how this runs on my machine.

Just realized the game does not support SLI. This shouldn't be happening.... at least not with AAA games like this. FFS....

No, it says 'unreleased' in the library but starts. Only problem are the achievements, they don't unlock directly but I got the old ones after I got a new one while using VPN.

As derExperte days, it's not required, but playing a game while Steam doesn't actually consider you in-game will break Steamworks functionality. You could also just switch to Offline Mode if you'd prefer to not stay connected to the VPN.

i7 920 4.2ghz
5970 3GB
6GB Ram

Getting 30 fps even when unlocking to 60 but 22fps during scenes :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have no idea why so many devs put this shit in their games. The only games where it looks nice are Crysis and the LEGO games...
Uhh, I think it looks nice in a lot of games and generally prefer it.

That's why it's an option.

Ouch, my 560 TI is gonna bleed then

I got :

16gb ram
I7 2600 @ 3.5 ghz
Geforce 560 TI

Guess Il wait, maybe Capcom will optimize the game

your card is just short of the minimum requirements. I had the same one until the specs were released, which prompted me to upgrade.

hopefully it makes a difference

so is the game more GPU dependent than CPU? I have a 4770k & gtx 770 and i'm wondering if 1080p 60 fps is doable given that others seem to be having performance issues.

Paskil

Super excited to play this. I ended up caving and buying it with the loyalty coupon on GMG last night. It's now pre-loaded and ready to play, when unlocked.

void666

Banned
Countless CTDs later i gave up trying to play. Am i the only one?

Game is fun. Definitely feels better than the previous games.

ys45

your card is just short of the minimum requirements. I had the same one until the specs were released, which prompted me to upgrade.

hopefully it makes a difference

Yeah I'm planning to upgrade too for a 770/780 but don't have cash right now .
Il wait for Black Friday deal .

Top Bottom