• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 PC Steam pre-load is live

AJLma

The game runs at 720p with severe framerate drops(iirc) on the Xbox One.

This is true.

If a 780Ti is about 3x as powerful as an Xbox One, then I guess those frame rates @ 1080p are about exactly what should be expected.

Now I'm worried about even attempting to play this at 1440p.

Lucian04

Neo Member
Is anyone else having issues with unlocking this via VPN? I used SoftEther and TunnelBear (both set to Japan) and after I confirmed that I had a Japanese IP, I started Steam. However it still shows the game as not unlocking until Sept 5th :/

Vitor711

Indeed. It happens way too often.
It has been pointed out countless times that some PC gamers expect way too much out of their hardware.

Folks playing on laptops should know what to expect.

And I expect near 60FPS at 1080....

... but then I have an 880m and am a mobile enthusiast so my expectations are somewhat more in line with reality than most.

UnrealEck

If a 780Ti is about 3x as powerful as an Xbox One, then I guess those frame rates @ 1080p are about exactly what should be expected.

Plus the settings on the PC version can be changed and who knows what the settings were on Xbox One. We also don't know how far it can push it past 30 FPS since it was capped on XB1.

Deadbeat

Banned
Indeed. It happens way too often.
It has been pointed out countless times that some PC gamers expect way too much out of their hardware.

Folks playing on laptops should know what to expect.
But then you have BF4 which is well optimized. Maybe the game is just badly coded and it has nothing to do with this "PC gamers expect too much" delusional crap.

AJLma

Plus the settings on the PC version can be changed and who knows what the settings were on Xbox One. We also don't know how far it can push it past 30 FPS since it was capped on XB1.

Yea. This is the one Digital Foundry comparison that I'm looking forward to.

Weird to see it say releases Sept 4th on Wikipedia but it says "1 day and 1 hour" on Steam.

Though not that it matters cos I VPN most games :p

Kezen

Banned
But then you have BF4 which is well optimized. Maybe the game is just badly coded and it has nothing to do with this "PC gamers expect too much" delusional crap.

It's not delusional.
I've witnessed such a thing on many forums. I don't intend to dismiss any legitimate claims regarding poorly optimized games (and there are make not mistakes) but I do have the impression that way too many people have no idea what settings they should be running at, crank everything up and complain that the game runs bad and is therefore "unoptimized".

It's funny you mention Battlefield 4 because this game was not immune to that.

I only got through the first 10 minutes last night after unlocking.

I unlocked framerate and have all sliders maxed at 1080p. 780ti with 4670k @ 4.5ghz 8gb RAM. Opening scenes with nothing going on I was getting 80+ fps, first time you see zombies, I dropped to just above 60 fps.

I fell asleep before I could play more. Hopefully I can maintain 60 when I get to some actual action.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's not delusional.
I've witnessed such a thing on many forums. I don't intend to dismiss any legitimate claims regarding poorly optimized games (and there are make not mistakes) but I do have the impression that way too many people have no idea what settings they should be running at, crank everything up and complain that the game runs bad and is therefore "unoptimized".

It's funny you mention Battlefield 4 because this game was not immune to that.

This game is just plain shit coding.

It literally takes 5-7 minutes to load a save game on a mid-range system!

This is true.

Now I'm worried about even attempting to play this at 1440p.

A 780Ti is quite a bit more than 3x more powerful than an xb1. More like 4x more powerful (Nvidia TF is better than AMD TF and the bandwidth difference is massive).

Kezen

Banned
I was not specifically defending DR3 here. It was a general statement about how some people completely overestimate their hardware and have high standards but lack the hardware to hit it.

This does not apply to people having capable systems and being disappointed by how the game runs, but that part was fairly obvious.

pahamrick

I've been messing with the game and performance is just all over the place. Sometimes I can get a steady 30fps on all medium settings but with some of the post processing stuff turned off, and thats on a street with a ton of zombies on screen.

Other times I'll hit low teens and sub 10s even with everything turned on the lowest setting, with seemingly less zombies than I'm able to do on medium.

Also, for folks with long load times -- if you have an SSD and have the room, install it there. I get maybe 30-45 second loads with it on my SSD.

dmix90

This game officially isn't even out yet. There is usually day one patches and new nvidia/ati drivers on release day. Maybe developers had access to beta graphics drivers and optimized game for them or these drivers will fix some issue with loading times(loading textures to video ram) or......."This game is just plain shit coding." of course :D. And i think people should be grateful if game runs at ~30 frames per second on configs with 7850/70 level graphics cards at 720p. If devs couldn't squeeze more from fixed console specs at possibly low-medium settings.

Guess I'll lock this to 30fps with some nice downsampling. Should look fine with motion blur. If a 780ti can't get this to locked 60, my overclocked 680 won't either. Pre-Load complete, get hype!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Guess I'll lock this to 30fps with some nice downsampling. Should look fine with motion blur. If a 780ti can't get this to locked 60, my overclocked 680 won't either. Pre-Load complete, get hype!
Downsampling from which resolution?

GavinUK86

What? It takes about 17 seconds to load my saves. I have a i7 2600k, 8gb ram and a GTX 660. The game is installed on a regular HDD.

Good luck with that!

sarcoa

This game crashes repeatedly. I have an i7-3730 , 8g ddr3, and a GTX 660. I can run most games at max settings with zero issues. I tried maxing Dead Rising 3 and it would run fine, but then crash out of nowhere. I busted it down to medium and it still crashed out of nowhere. I can play anywhere from five to twenty minutes before it crashes. Super annoying!

jrcbandit

Any way to transfer the game to my SSD without redownloading it? I haven't tried it unlocked yet but it ran great without any noticeable drops at 1440p on a 4770k and 290x. Not sure if I even want to run it unlocked if the FPS is going to be that variable. Locked, constant 30 fps rate doesn't bother me as much when using a controller vs mouse controls.

This game crashes repeatedly. I have an i7-3730 , 8g ddr3, and a GTX 660. I can run most games at max settings with zero issues. I tried maxing Dead Rising 3 and it would run fine, but then crash out of nowhere. I busted it down to medium and it still crashed out of nowhere. I can play anywhere from five to twenty minutes before it crashes. Super annoying!

Same issue here with the random crashes. Also, if anyone was interested. Even though the game supports the rumble triggers on the X1 they do not work on the PC. I wish more devs would use the rumble triggers for PC ports of X1 games or any game for that matter. They rock when used correctly. Good example is Forza 5.

Kezen

Banned
Even though the game supports the rumble triggers on the X1 they do not work on the PC. I wish more devs would use the rumble triggers for PC ports of X1 games or any game for that matter. They rock when used correctly. Good example is Forza 5.

I think there is a problem with the driver itself not enabling Xbox One-specific features. Basically the current driver just pass your XBO controller as a regular 360 one hence the flawless (or near flawless) compatibility.

Okay, so my patience got the better of me and I unlocked the game via VPN.

I'm currently playing it on my Laptop (Intel i5 M460 @2.53 GHz, nVidia GeForce GTX 460M (1.5 GB VRAM), 4GB DDR3 RAM) and I can actually play it.
I have all the settings on low, except for Motion Blur (On), Texture Quality (High), Texture Filterin (Anisotropic 16x), Subsurface Scatterin (On) and Sky Quality (High).

Runs at a smooth 30fps, with only small frame drops

I'm happy :)

Firebrand

Any way to transfer the game to my SSD without redownloading it? I haven't tried it unlocked yet but it ran great without any noticeable drops at 1440p on a 4770k and 290x. Not sure if I even want to run it unlocked if the FPS is going to be that variable. Locked, constant 30 fps rate doesn't bother me as much when using a controller vs mouse controls.
If you just want to move this game and not your entire Steam installation:
- Go into settings -> downloads -> Steam library folders and add a new folder on your SSD
- Exit Steam
- Move the game's folder from Steamapps\common\ to Steamapps\common\ on your SSD.
- Move the appmanifest_x.acf file from Steamapps to Steamapps on your SSD, where x is the appID of the game (I'm guessing it's 265550 for Dead Rising 3).
- Start Steam and it should hopefully find the game in the correct place.

This is how I move games, but I haven't tried it with DR3 specifically.

edit: If you're looking to move everything Steam, follow the instructions on the link Jeff Stephen posted above instead.

pahamrick

I'm currently playing it on my Laptop (Intel i5 M460 @2.53 GHz, nVidia GeForce GTX 460M (1.5 GB VRAM), 4GB DDR3 RAM) and I can actually play it.
I have all the settings on low, except for Motion Blur (On), Texture Quality (High), Texture Filterin (Anisotropic 16x), Subsurface Scatterin (On) and Sky Quality (High).

Are you still at the very beginning of the game or are you a good bit in? If you're still at the very beginning expect to see harsh drops soon.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What? It takes about 17 seconds to load my saves. I have a i7 2600k, 8gb ram and a GTX 660. The game is installed on a regular HDD.

I have a i5 3.4, 12 gig of RAM and a 660ti on a 7200rpm regular HDD.

17 seconds! How in the hell did you pull that off?

My game takes about 5 minutes to get from clicking start to getting to the main menu, then 5-8 minutes to get to the game after selecting "continue game".

synce

That's good to hear, my laptop has similar specs. What res are you playing at?

void666

Banned

Same. Crashed 4 times and gave up.

Is it safe to be online with steam after using VPN to unlock it as long as I keep it up?

No. Gabe will send his ninjas to kill your family if you do.

:D

I've been doing it since the dawn of time and so far so good. IMO as long as you don't mess with Gabe's wallet you're good to go.

zeox

only problem I have so far is the god awful FOV :/. seems like a fun game, but I can't play the game for long without getting dizzy from the narrow camera. anyone know how to widen it?

Are you still at the very beginning of the game or are you a good bit in? If you're still at the very beginning expect to see harsh drops soon.

I played for about two hours, just made it to the garage.
Even with all those zombies on screen my laptop still managed to squeeze out between 15-25 fps, which is amazing (and playable) in my book, so yeah. I'll manage. I guess the last few hours of the game will be way more demanding, though.

That's good to hear, my laptop has similar specs. What res are you playing at?

1366x768 with internal resolution set to 720p.

Most impressive thing for me is that this game runs perfectly fine with only 4GB of RAM, when the minimum requirements say 6.

Have to get used to the slightly changed control scheme though. And the new "duct tape to go" mechanic, so to speak.
Still having lots of fun. Will test the game tomorrow on my actual PC (AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @3GHz, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770 (2GB of VRAM)). Maybe I'll be lucky and I can squeeze even more fps out on there. But from my experience the game'll run worse than on my laptop. I'll wait and see. And will post my experiences tomorrow.

UnrealEck

only problem I have so far is the god awful FOV :/. seems like a fun game, but I can't play the game for long without getting dizzy from the narrow camera. anyone know how to widen it?

There is a way to change the FOV. I saw screenshots of it changed.

GavinUK86

I have a i5 3.4, 12 gig of RAM and a 660ti on a 7200rpm regular HDD.

17 seconds! How in the hell did you pull that off?

My game takes about 5 minutes to get from clicking start to getting to the main menu, then 5-8 minutes to get to the game after selecting "continue game".

Wow.

Yeah, I counted to 17. From the main menu to in-game, in control of the guy.

I will never understand why devs go with these awful ass super close narrow FOV cameras, reminds me of Kingdoms of Amalur :/ And to make it even worse, the camera gets CLOSER when you sprint...wtf. Even with a better FOV seems like the close camera will still be annoying.

Still really excited to play this, hoping to see some camera fixes soon.

UnrealEck

I will never understand why devs go with these awful ass super close narrow FOV cameras, reminds me of Kingdoms of Amalur :/ And to make it even worse, the camera gets CLOSER when you sprint...wtf. Even with a better FOV seems like the close camera will still be annoying.

Still really excited to play this, hoping to see some camera fixes soon.

My guess is that it improves performance. Console games tend to have very small FOV.
No FOV slider and no seperate option for mouse vs control pad camera inversion piss me off. This game comes with a lack of either.

How are you people getting so fucking awful load times?
Getting into the menu nets me 1 minute at the most. Getting from the menu into the game is just close to a minute.
I do not have the game installed on my SSD either.

I was really afraid I'd have to wait 5 minutes from launching the game to actually playing it, yet my fears were for naught.

Maybe it all depends on your rig?

Same. Crashed 4 times and gave up.

No. Gabe will send his ninjas to kill your family if you do.

:D

I've been doing it since the dawn of time and so far so good. IMO as long as you don't mess with Gabe's wallet you're good to go.

Cool. Thanks for the response : ).

And it sucks to hear so many people having trouble with the game. I made it into chapter 2 with no issues whatsoever before I had to head out for class. Game is a lot better than I was expecting!

So is everyone who is having trouble running the game pushing the game to its limits like unlocked FPS and 1440p? Would it be fine if I just ran the game normal like 30FPS 1080p?

yeah I just saw it going back a couple of pages in this thread. hopefully some instructions to do so are right around the corner

I did it with Cheat Engine. But the FOV will snap back to the default after you zoom in with a weapon. It's possible I can fix that... but I'll need to play around with the code.

Even then, that will require downloading and installing Cheat Engine. Then opening the table and pointing it to the Dead Rising 3 executable. It's not hard, but just letting you know what's required.

I did it when creating a free camera for the game for the intentions of taking screenshots... but that's pointless since you can't remove the HUD as of yet. So I probably won't be updating the CE table. Once the game is patched, the table would need to be updated (which I won't due unless there's a way to remove the HUD). I'm sure someone else will come up with a better way to change the FOV though.

Seyavesh

I did it with Cheat Engine. But the FOV will snap back to the default after you zoom in with a weapon. It's possible I can fix that... but I'll need to play around with the code.

Even then, that will require downloading and installing Cheat Engine. Then opening the table and pointing it to the Dead Rising 3 executable. It's not hard, but just letting you know what's required.

I did it when creating a free camera for the game for the intentions of taking screenshots... but that's pointless since you can't remove the HUD as of yet. So I probably won't be updating the CE table. Once the game is patched, the table would need to be updated (which I won't due unless there's a way to remove the HUD). I'm sure someone else will come up with a better way to change the FOV though.

if someone figures out how to open up .bin files then it should be as easy as changing a plaintext camera.txt file with different fovs for different stuff (vehicles, aiming, 3rd person)

fun fact though, DR2's default FOV was also in the low 40s

Top Bottom