• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 PC Steam pre-load is live

Goddammit it just crashed on me like two minutes into another playthrough. I have nothing else I really want to play until GTA V PC comes out, why do you do this to meeeee??!!!

I'd be really surprised if there wasn't a patch coming up soon to fix these issues. Capcom usually makes excellent PC ports.

day one patch possibly? Also everybody needs to make sure to report their issues on the Steam forums so they can hopefully be fixed in a future patch

edit: two things the local dev posted

Some additional "things to try" when posting feedback:

If you are experiencing issues, right-click Dead Rising 3 in your game library. Select “properties”, select the “LOCAL FILES” tab, and click “VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE” to ensure that there aren’t any missing or corrupt local version of your files.
If you are running the game with a user.ini that disables the 30fps cap, please delete your user.ini file and see if it changes the game's behavior.

NIN90

Goddammit it just crashed on me like two minutes into another playthrough. I have nothing else I really want to play until GTA V PC comes out, why do you do this to meeeee??!!!

I'd be really surprised if there wasn't a patch coming up soon to fix these issues. Capcom usually makes excellent PC ports.
Problem here is that the game isn't running on MT Framework but on Capcom Vancouver's own engine.

Vuze

So, I just had my first 20mins with DR3 and they've been quite good.

i5 4570 non-k
HD 7870 GHz without additional OC @ 14.4 driver
16GB DDR3-1333
running from my 7200 rpm WD Blue

I share the same settings as JBourne except that I turned motion blur off and AF to 16x. Haven't used the fps unlock just yet (as the VPN stuff is super annoying imo, so I just started it once). Never dipped below 30fps except for the cutscenes, where the framerate went down to 20... what the hell but whatever. No crashes, no super-long loadingtimes for me, only quitting took its time but again, whatever.

I hope the performance will remain like this, I'll take a look at the uncap tomorrow when the game is officially out for me. Looking forward to it, already had a fun time with the little I played :D

Bydobob

Was hoping to tear through this with something to spare for downsampling, how naive. These crashing issues on the other hand sound pretty scandalous. What is QA for again?

Kezen

Banned
It's safe to assume 60fps locked will not be achievable ?

I wonder what's the bottleneck, the D3D API ? Insufficient ressources ? Lack of time ?

Think I can pull off 4K at 30fps locked with 2 highly oc'd Titans??

I'm thinking of getting this right now, but I'm not liking what I'm hearing too much.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Log out of steam
Get fly vpn
Select a Japan or Singapore server and connect
Log back into steam.
Wait a long time for the game to unlock
Play!

And after playing once, you can quit the VPN and play it using the game's .exe. It'll have the Steam overlay still.

I had to ask RicochetGuro about that.

dcassell

Banned
Logging back in after shut down changed the play button back to "pre-load", but clicking still starts the game. Steam is uploading saves to the cloud, although achievements and game time are not updating. Played for anotger hour. Game is awesome. After intro sequence I haven't dropped below 30 once, although I still cannot change my resolution or uncap the frame rate. Will try again tonight after work when it is officialy unlocked. I don't mind the 30 fps, even if it drops a little. DR2 ran the same way on the 360, and the jank added charm, similar to Deadly Premonition, which I also loved. Hoping for more optimization in the future, but I'm just glad it's running.

And after playing once, you can quit the VPN and play it using the game's .exe. It'll have the Steam overlay still.

I had to ask RicochetGuro about that.

Think you might have misunderstood me, there is no overlay which is why I'm waiting. Most games will work offline and continue to use steamworks but this one doesn't for whatever reason. Perhaps I've been unlucky though.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Think you might have misunderstood me, there is no overlay which is why I'm waiting. Most games will work offline and continue to use steamworks but this one doesn't for whatever reason. Perhaps I've been unlucky though.

That's weird. I definitely have the overlay. I used it to take a screenshot.

That's weird. I definitely have the overlay. I used it to take a screenshot.

Very odd, going to give it another go in a minute then.

Edit: Works now, game just doesn't seem to like fraps. Will load the overlay sometimes, other times not. Switched to shadowplay.

Dr Dogg

I really don't want to be faffing around with VPNs tonight but what sort of CPU usage are we talking about here. Moreover what is it like comparing locked versus unlocked? Most of the folks on Steam's forums despite having decent GPUs are lacking a bit in the CPU side. You got to bear in mind that increasing frame rate isn't solely on the GPU and does require the CPU to finish it's jobs quicker unlike resolution which is highly GPU dependant.

If you want to check in-game MSI Afterburner version 3.x and up allows CPU monitoring now.

same for me

runs ok otherwise for my cheap gpu.

get about 28 to 30 fps, never really drops below that. Really enjoying it, but the crashes kinda ruin it.

If anyone knows a fix please do tell.

i7 4770K
GTX 750 TI 2GB
8GB Ram
Win 8.1

newest drivers, v sync on, 1080p smaa, textures high, most of the other stuff medium

That seems pretty good considering the Xbox 1 runs at 720p.

It seems like I'm alone in thinking the game as a whole looks nice but the cutscenes themselves look incredible. Wonder if there's some way to adjust the depth of field to match them? They are in-game
265550_2014-09-04_000xbs7l.png

265550_2014-09-04_000vrs1h.png

Megasoum

Banned
Dead Rising 3 running at 60fps sure sound tempting... I just wish I could transfer my save from my XB1... I don't really want to restart from scratch.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on an i5 2500k and gtx 670. Which settings are best to fiddle with to get me as close as possible to 60fps ? Not unlocked it yet but planning ahead :p Hell I'd turn the resolution down to 720p to get a better framerate as that's more important to me.

Stitch

Gold Member
most of the options don't actually help to get better frames. the only options that seem to help are shadows and setting the game quality to 720p. it's really smooth in 720p. but it also looks like poop.

could everyone talking about framerates also post what resolution they're running the game at (externally and if different, internally). that'd be super useful :)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
most of the options don't actually help to get better frames. the only options that seem to help are shadows and setting the game quality to 720p. it's really smooth in 720p. but it also looks like poop.

Yeah I've read that it doesn't look great in 720p but tbh I'd take the hit for smoother controls (i say that now, but let's see when I actually go to play it!). Still, maybe we'll get a few patches quicksmart :)

Alright, finally jumped the gun with a VPN because the game did not unlock at midnight.

3770K@4,4
GTX680 OC
16gigs ram

I tried 1440p maxed out, but the game dropped to the 20's in the first zombie area. Running 1080p now and despite the cutscenes there are no more frame drops. V-Ram use is also quite high, I was almost reaching 2GB at 1440p.

Still, cutscenes dropping frames below 30fps... Not really acceptable. Also the game looks weird, the art direction is all over the place. At least no crashes for me and load times from SSD are fine.

Not sure if I should wait for driver updates and/or day one patch.

For the people with performance problems, disabling V-Sync seemed to make a bigger difference than usual. (But of course tears like a mofo)

Anyone have audio issues in this game? Every time someone speaks it sounds terrible to me and the music sounds really soft. The only other problem I had was the game crashes every time I quit the game.

Ok... finally did a little more testing.

3570k@4.2
GTX 780
8gb ram

Vsync off in game. Vsync on in nvidia control panel.

Unlocked frame rate

Playing at 1080p/60 with maxed settings

I'm not really having severe frame drops. It's dropped down to 50ish every once in awhile during cutscenes. Nothing major. In game, I've pretty much been maintaining 60. I even made it outside where there are a lot more zombies on screen. However, that's where I encountered my first crash. I'm going to test with locked 30 and see if I still crash.

Anyone have audio issues in this game? Every time someone speaks it sounds terrible to me and the music sounds really soft. The only other problem I had was the game crashes every time I quit the game.

Yup, the audio mix is weird and it's very low.

Also the gamma levels appear to be fucked. Don't tell me they managed to port the black crush from the Xbone...

Scrappy

Neo Member
So I tired starting it up using a VPN, to play a bit early to see how it'd run before someone I know went and bought it, and it crashed at the loading screen. Does not bode well, but hopeful they'll patch it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Had my first crash at around probably an hour of play. I was in the first driving section. Nothing unusual going on, just a sudden crash.

eeeeeeeeeerm, i when i tried unlocking the game earlier today, i closed the vpn and restarted after testing... thing is, i still can launch the game. Is that normal/risky?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
If you have a survivor with you and they die, are they gone forever?

Also, if I do a yellow mission will it always progress a chapter? I'm trying to get into the graveyard and it looks like I need to do a yellow mission to get in there...

I have:

i7-4770k
8gb ram
GTX 780 3gb eva GC

with the default settings, it runs fine. there's screentearing during the cutscenes but it's not too bad. will try higher settings later.

I could have sworn Capcom said there wasn't going to be a time limit in this game. But it's there and it's pissing me off. I don't care how long it is, it is still shit.

If you have a survivor with you and they die, are they gone forever?

Also, if I do a yellow mission will it always progress a chapter? I'm trying to get into the graveyard and it looks like I need to do a yellow mission to get in there...

Yes, survivors are permadeath unless there's some little-known way to get them back or something.

Also, not every yellow marker is a chapter-ender, otherwise there'd only be seven missions. From what I can remember, that particular graveyard mission definitely isn't a chapter-ender either.

LilJoka

i7 3770 @ 4.2Ghz
GTX 780 901/3000mhz

720p pretty much locked 60fps, cutscenes dip to 35ish fps at times but no judder.

1080p or 720p with game Quality 900p, 60gps most of the time.

1080p with 1080p game quality, fps all over the place from 30-60.

30fps lock frequently dips to 28fps with judder compared to unlocked being judder free.

The game also pushes GPU temps more than normal, mine is hitting 82c at times.

2.2-2.3GB VRAM usage.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Whelp, can't even review the game because it just gets stuck at loading for a good five minutes or so. Good job Capcom, much appreciated.

Paskil

People playing with mouse/keyboard or controller? Just did the VPN unlock (thanks!) and wondering if I should play with my Dualshock 4. Anyone play on both XB1 and PC and have a preference?

ruddiger7

Banned
I will see how I go on my 4k monitor with

4770k @ 4.4
32gb 2400mhz ram
2x 7970ghz OC (6gb vram)

Not expecting it to run on high but maybe medium with good frames. Im sure I can max out my 1440p monitors.

if the time limit wasn't the point, then it wouldn't have been a staple of the series from the start

I wish Capcom would've kept Nightmare Mode as standard and just made Sandbox Mode available from the start like with Off the Record

HowZatOZ

Banned
I will see how I go on my 4k monitor with

4770k @ 4.4
32gb 2400mhz ram
2x 7970ghz OC (6gb vram)

Not expecting it to run on high but maybe medium with good frames. Im sure I can max out my 1440p monitors.

Is there a point when texture quality is limited to 1080p? Or does it actually go beyond?
I thought the point of the entire series was to kill zombies with a myriad of weapons? I will be happy the day someone mods unlimited time into the game

Nope, entire point of the Dead Rising series was to race against the clock. There are sandbox modes that have no time limit, but that's after finishing the game.

Top Bottom