• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major developments and milestones since Final Fantasy Versus XIII was announced

duckroll

http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/05/08/e3-2006-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-revealed

Remember that fateful day over 8 years ago? On May 8 2006, Square Enix announced a trio of Final Fantasy XIII titles - among them Final Fantasy Versus XIII, now known as Final Fantasy XV. The game was slated for the Playstation 3, but now is will be released on the Playstation 4 and Xbox One instead, at some point in the future. It has changed names, changed platforms, changed staff members, and still has no release date. In fact people continue to debate if it will even show up at this year's Tokyo Game Show.

But this thread is not about that. It isn't to discuss why the game took so long, or how Square Enix is a terrible company, or any of that. Instead, using the announcement date of the game as marker, let's look at major changes and milestones for gaming and popular culture, both good and bad. I don't want to make any strict rules, but generally to make it more interesting, I would suggest pointing out major developments which take a substantial period of time and/or long term stuff which started and completed within the period from 2006 until now.

I'll start it off with an example:

In May 2006, Level-5 was still a work for hire developer making games for other publishers. They had just released Rogue Galaxy for Sony the year before, and were working on Jeanne d'Arc at the time, also for Sony. They were interested in going into self-publishing but had not started yet. They would go on to launch their first independent title in Feb 2007 - Professor Layton and the Curious Village.

Today as of Sept 2014, Level-5 is one of the most successful new game publishers in Japan in the last decade. They have released two trilogies of the Professor Layton series, two trilogies of Inazuma Eleven, and are enjoying great success with their new Yokai Watch series. They have launched three multi-million selling franchises, and have found success in a number of cross-media projects which have produced many animated series, comics, toys, etc. They have collaborated with Studio Ghibli on an original game project. They have collaborated with Sunrise to create an original Gundam series. They have even bought naming rights for a football stadium in their home city.

And Final Fantasy Versus XIII XV is still not out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
  • The iPhone was announced and released, kicking off the modern smartphone. The iPad followed several years later.
  • The PS3 was released, had the longest PlayStation generation ever, and replaced.
  • The first Unreal Engine 3 game released, and has since been replaced by Unreal Engine 4.
  • Every Assassin's Creed game was released.
  • The entire Mass Effect trilogy was released.
  • In 2006, indie games were a fringe industry with almost no widely known games.
  • In 2006, Naughty Dog was primarily known as the Jak & Daxter studio.
  • In 2008, THQ was the third largest publisher in the U.S. They have since went bankrupt.

hawk2025

Since FF Versus XIII was announced, Gears of War had not even been released yet.

Today, the AAA landscape has fundamentally changed and been influenced by Gears, and the game itself has had three sequels.

Final Fantasy XV has not been released yet.

MNC

• The iPhone was announced and released, kicking off the modern smartphone. The iPad followed several years later.
  • The PS3 was released, had the longest PlayStation generation ever, and replaced.
  • The first Unreal Engine 3 game released, and has since been replaced by Unreal Engine 4.
  • In 2006, indie games were a fringe industry with almost no widely known games.
  • In 2008, THQ was the third largest publisher in the U.S. They have since went bankrupt.
... Let's wrap it up folks. Holy fuck, 2006 was long ago.

Qwark

I think GameInformer did an article with this exact premise... I'll see if I can find it.

Found it: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/08/17/where-is-final-fantasy-versus-xiii.aspx

What Else Has Happened Since Versus XIII’s Announcement?
  • All three Mass Effect games released
  • The entire Assassin’s Creed franchise
  • The rise and fall of music games
  • Five other main Final Fantasy titles: XII, XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, and XIV
  • BioShock, BioShock 2, and BioShock Infinite released
  • Every Call of Duty game after Call of Duty 2, including World at War, Ghosts, Black Ops 1 and 2, and all three Modern Warfare titles released
  • The PlayStation 3’s entire life
  • The Wii craze
  • Sony and Microsoft introducing/releasing their own motion controllers
  • Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo each designed and released a new generation of hardware
  • Duke Nukem Forever released

...Holy shit. I knew it was bad but hoooooly shit.

Peff

Oblivion's horse armor, the first huge DLC scandal, was barely a month and a half old.

Nowadays, DLC is a standard even for Nintendo.

TheTux

Naught Dog the Jax & Dexter studio? Oh man what about Crash Bandicoot!!!

Anyway I wouldn't consider FFVsXIII a 2006 game. I don't think they've ever considered it seriously before 2010. In 2006 all they had was some concept and a mithology I think. But this thread is not to talk about FFXV I guess.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've had 3 long term relationships since then... Each of which has lasted for multiple years.

sn00zer

This many Final Fantasy games:

Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan
Final Fantasy III DS
Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition
FF Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Mobile Phone
FF Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess
Final Fantasy IV DS
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
FF Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King WiiWare
Dissidia Final Fantasy
FF Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
FF Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
FF Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Dimensions
Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adolun
Final Fantasy XIV (Realm Reborn)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Foshy

Final Fantasy III DS
Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Final Fantasy IV DS
Dissidia Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Final Fantasy Dimensions

...whoa.

3 years after the announcement of FF versus 13, my first child was conceived.

Last week she attended her first day of kindergarten.

...and Final Fantasy XV still has not been released.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities

the games you mention are western. it hasn't been that rosy on the Japanese front. Persona for example skipped a generation.

I wonder what will come out first, The Last Guardian or FFXV

FFXV will come out eventually because Square needs it as its next big franchise to milk. I don't know how much Sony needs TLG.

Far Cry was a series about Jack Carver using super powers to fight mutants on an island.

Bethesda's biggest hit was Oblivion, with a whopping 3 million copies sold in its first year.

Steam was practically just for Valve games and a handful of smaller titles, and its only non-Valve exclusive was SiN Episodes, released the same month as Versus' announcement.

BocoDragon

I have a 20 year old lab partner at my university this semester. We were talking about Final Fantasy games and of course, he was 12 when this was announced...

Kagari and I actually began to put together a list of this stuff in the vein of that "things that have happened since Duke Nukem Forever was announced" page from way back... we should upload it someplace, ahaha.

Trago

89754-SHEEIT-gif-Clay-Davis-The-Wire-R90q.gif

which game will actually be better though? Last Guardian or Final Fantasy XV?

I personally have more confidence in the last guardian

Verendus

Banned
I wonder what will come out first, The Last Guardian or FFXV
FFXV. The only way TLG comes out first is if SE screw up again.

I think GameInformer did an article with this exact premise... I'll see if I can find it.

Found it: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/08/17/where-is-final-fantasy-versus-xiii.aspx

What Else Has Happened Since Versus XIII’s Announcement?
  • All three Mass Effect games released
  • The entire Assassin’s Creed franchise
  • The rise and fall of music games
  • Five other main Final Fantasy titles: XII, XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, and XIV
  • BioShock, BioShock 2, and BioShock Infinite released
  • Every Call of Duty game after Call of Duty 2, including World at War, Ghosts, Black Ops 1 and 2, and all three Modern Warfare titles released
  • The PlayStation 3’s entire life
  • The Wii craze
  • Sony and Microsoft introducing/releasing their own motion controllers
  • Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo each designed and released a new generation of hardware
  • Duke Nukem Forever released

Final Fantasy III DS
Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Final Fantasy IV DS
Dissidia Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Final Fantasy Dimensions
This is really messed up.

Here's mine: a black man became President of the USA, twice.

Final Fantasy III DS
Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Final Fantasy IV DS
Dissidia Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Final Fantasy Dimensions

God fucking damnit Square

Mr.Walls

Neo Member
dhMeAzK.gif

BocoDragon

Final Fantasy fans shouldnt complain, there are lot more franchises that didnt have an entry since 2006.
FF had entries since 2006 (and how! See above). But being teased one particular game for 8 years..?

tokkun

In May of 2006, Hillary Clinton was the presumptive nominee for President of the United States.

Well, the more things change...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Naught Dog the Jax & Dexter studio? Oh man what about Crash Bandicoot!!!

Anyway I wouldn't consider FFVsXIII a 2006 game. I don't think they've ever considered it seriously before 2010. In 2006 all they had was some concept and a mithology I think. But this thread is not to talk about FFXV I guess.

There are quite a few Square Enix staffers from the Kingdom Hearts 2 team (which went on to do this) that have only had supervisory type roles on other projects since then, so presumably at least 20-30 people have been working on this for ages.

I wonder how much money has been sunk into Versus XIII so far.

On July 6, 2006 Monolithsoft Inc. released Xenosaga Episode III: also sprach zarathustra for the Playstation 2, published by Namco-Bandai Games. This would end up being their last non-Nintendo platform release and it also marks their last release as a third party developer because on May 1, 2007 they became a Nintendo first party development studio after Nintendo bought 80% of Namco Bandai Games' 96% stake in the company.

Today as of September 2014 they have become one of the most prominent Nintendo 1st party studios. They released what is widely considered the best JRPG game of last gen, and have managed to create a Smash Bros. roster worthy character. In addition they have provided development on many major Nintendo titles, such as animal crossing: new leaf, zelda: skyward sword, super smash bros. brawl, Pikmin 3, and zelda: a link between worlds. Currently they are working on one of the most anticipated JRPG title to be released next year: Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Persona 3 was released in Japan 2 months after Versus was announced.
FES was released in 2007
Persona 4 in 2008
Persona 3: Portable in 2009
Persona 1 PSP in 2009
Persona 2: IS PSP in 2011
P2: EP PSP in 2012
P4 Golden in 2012
P4 Arena in 2012
Ultimax Arcade in 2013
Ultimax Console in 2014
Persona Q in 2014
Persona 4: DAN in 2014
Persona 5 in 2015

+Two whole anime adapations of P4, a spinoff P3 anime, and two P3 animated films.

The Persona series was entirely revived and rebooted into Atlus' biggest property after Versus was first announced.

Top Bottom