• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teens React to Nintendo (NES)

ColEx

I find it kinda of sad that the history of consoles/games is lost with these generation of teens, then again most of the stuff from my dads generation doesn't really interest me at all so i guess its normal.

Still sad though :(

I find it kinda of sad that the history of consoles/games is lost with this generation teens, then again most of the stuff from my dads generation doesn't really interest me at all so i guess its normal.

It's not lost for the people who actually care, these kids just don't.

And you know, that's okay.

Teenagers today are born in 2000 and 2001...oh god.

I actually remember the NES getting advertised on TV and in the toy store in its late stages. I never bought it. But the memories are still there.

It's very weird to think that the memories I have of the NES are older than any of the kids in that video. :-(

It honestly is such a joke that it was so hard to get games started on the front loading NES. I had wartime flashbacks when I saw those kids trying to get that piece of shit working. At one point the only way I could get mine working was to stick something into the slot to push the cartridge down as far as it could and hold it there.

NolbertoS

Good vid. Funny seeing Arya not know anything about gaming. I honestly have no idea who this Tori girl is that GAF is obsessing. Don't even know what teen shows they belong too, but its really sad to see them not know classic games :'(. I weep for the next generation of gamers.

I never like these videos. They only seem to want to get people angry or to feel old.

The Punch-Out!! video, however, was very entertaining. A lot of them were able to figure the game out quickly, and learn as they went. Watching Mike Tyson thrash them was hilarious. They never saw it coming.

umm... you do realize he was born the same year NES was discontinued in america right? and when he reached 10, the xbox 360 would have already been released

im 17 and i honestly didnt even know Nintendo made video games before the 90s until last year

Did you know they used to make arcade games once upon a time?

And there used to be Nintendo games on non-Nintendo consoles?

The original Mario Bros. was on Famicom/NES, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, Apple II, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Atari 8-Bit, ZX Spectrum, and it was released in arcades.

Zolbrod

umm... you do realize he was born the same year NES was discontinued in america right? and when he reached 10, the xbox 360 would have already been released

im 17 and i honestly didnt even know Nintendo made video games before the 90s until last year

What's really going to blow your mind is that the company has been around for 115 years now.

Haunted

The original Mario Bros. was on Famicom/NES, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, Apple II, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Atari 8-Bit, ZX Spectrum, and it was released in arcades.
whats an arcade game

Shojx

I find it kinda of sad that the history of consoles/games is lost with these generation of teens, then again most of the stuff from my dads generation doesn't really interest me at all so i guess its normal.

I see what you mean but, as the person below you said

It's not lost for the people who actually care, these kids just don't.

And you know, that's okay.

This is true. For the most part, it's only lost on people who wouldn't care anyways.

Both of my younger siblings are teens and they're pretty well-informed about the consoles and games of the past. Maybe that's partially because of my influence, but still.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
These kids react guys really revel in making everyone feel super old, don't they? They should do one about payphones next.

Forsythia

I feel so old watching this. In fact, all these videos make me feel like a fossil. Super Mario Bros. is still a fucking great game, though, and besides the dated graphics and sound (which I do like), it still is great to play.

Kimosabae

Banned
Hooooly shit, Punch Out still looks so suuuuuper dope! The characterization, the sound design, the CHALLENGE! I need to play that again! It looks like it's aged more than well!

I must admit, I'm a little amazed at how rough Mario went. I figured those kids would be used to button-inputs enough to jump over simple things like that.

big_z

I must admit, I'm a little amazed at how rough Mario went. I figured those kids would be used to button-inputs enough to jump over simple things like that.

cell phones don't have buttons. theyre use to mashing their screen to win.
to them Mario is like sending grandma into a dota2 tournament.

He's publicly talked about his girlfriend digging into her asshole to clean herself for anal sex.

Doubt he's a teenager.

FPqoExG.gif

Punch-Out is timeless.

kudoboi

Seriously? Thats kinda mind blowing. I guess you were a kid when Gamecube was around, but i'd think anyone on GAF would be aware of system origins.

haha i honestly have never seen a gamecube or a dreamcast IRL before either. I had a PS1 (that was given to me from a cousin). By the time I even got into video games (I was 8 or 9), the Xbox 360 and PS3 were already released.

Sande

This doesn't make me feel old because I'm not quite old enough to be a part of the NES generation. I still owned an NES though, don't know how that happened.

ascii42

And the original Donkey Kong was a pack-in for the ColecoVision. And it was later ported to most of the systems above, except for 5200 I believe, since that was the Colecovision's main rival, and Coleco had the home console license.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I was born 91 so I grew up with the SNES more than the NES. I really miss the SNES gaming scene as the titles on that system were mind blowing and just focused on gameplay rather than today's graphical race.

I can't count the number of amazing games that were on the SNES including Bubsy, MegaMan, Mario, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Donkey Kong (best god damn soundtrack ever) and all those random arcade ports. So many memories.

Somebody got a game over on World 1-1? Hahaha that satire article sounds so true right now lol.

What article? The not being able to get past the first level of SMB? Don't think it was satire, it was from their stockholders meeting, unless the translation is bogus.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/majority-of-gamers-today-cant-finish-level-1-in-super-mario-bros/

Can't decide if pedo or tag fishing.

She's 16 not 6, potentially creepy but that's it.

TBH, months ago I broke out my SNES and played a little bit of the All Stars version SMB... It wasn't pretty. Having not really played it in a good 15 years didn't help nor did how much gaming has changed since the early 90s. I guess I could blame how they screwed with the jump mechanics but even if that weren't an issue it'd still be a disaster. I wish I kept my NES, I still have the SMB/Duck Hunt cartridge though. >_>

it has the world's shortest cords
And weren't they hardwired into the console? So you couldn't unplug them like in the NES?

I just want to know what they were thinking by having the cord stick out the side like that.

K-A-Deman

Wait, I'm only 23 and my first console was the SNES. How old were some people if they're first console was a Sixth Gen console?

Top Bottom