• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV now out on Steam and the Humble Store - 14.5€/$16

Seanspeed

Banned
There's some on the Steam page, at least.

ss_be188a02bc984123a3b6d2b0528dae43eb968f02.1920x1080.jpg

ss_9f83c3201c26bf0c11f1e513efdcf533a2826df8.1920x1080.jpg
Ok, that's not actually too bad. I was expecting worse.

This came out of nowhere and really made my day. Just started downloading. I have been meaning to replay FF IV DS for a while now, but haven't because the visuals on the DS one feel washed out. The 3D characters, monsters, cutscenes, and world are things I like visually, but feel that the DS hardware was holding it back. I was on the fence about the IOS version because of the controls. But with this I will get the polished visuals and the good controls.

One really cool thing about FF IV DS is that every story beat in the game has a unique "party chat" you can see if you bring up the menu. Each character has their own things to say so there is a lot of stuff to read if you cycle through the characters. It is more of a view into the character's private thoughts during their adventure. For me this and the voices helped bring the characters alive more than the original IV ever could.

I hope V and VI IOS versions appear as well. I have played the originals to death and would love to see a different visual take on those games. I know they are hated by some fans, but I liked some of the screenshots I have seen from people's playthroughs here.

I'm so glad it wasn't the PSP version. It was so devoid of challenge compared to the Super NES and DS versions. You could pretty much autobattle through a lot of it. I liked the fast pace and lovely 2D art, but it didn't feel as inspired as the DS remake.

I really hope all this Final Fantasy on steam stuff means that someday we'll see FF XII on there. Cause man I would buy the hell out of that and continue to never complete it.

Almighty

Better than nothing, I guess.
I have to imagine a lot of the fans just emulated that shit all ready, so at least now they can give Square money for the pleasure :V

That was one of the reasons I bought FF 7 and 8. The other was in the hopes Square would port more if they sold well. So far it seems to be working.

Anyway I am really tempted to get this version as it has been a long time since I played FF4 and I think it was the SNES version. Still if this was 10ish bucks I would grab it immediately, 16 bucks is a little more then I feel like spending so i might just have to wait for a sale.

Enthus

Does anyone have pictures of the profile backgrounds available from the trading cards? I've been using the Civ V wonder one since the system was implemented, it may be time for a change.

Overall it's better than I expected. But some things bug me...

-You can't walk. You can hold the controller a bit to waddle forward a few steps, but that always turns into a full run.
-The character portraits during the menu look cheap. And there are some tiny white spots on a few sections of the font.
-Camera is up kinda close, so the running around stuff can be annoying.

But other than that I am impressed. The colors and 3D characters feel so much more defined than the DS release. Monsters look great. And while the characters get kind pixely when the scene zooms in on them during the cinemas, seeing the spoken cutscenes on my HDTV is kinda epic. Audio seems fine as far as I can tell.

BasilZero

Knew this would of happened. Wish it was the psp ver ;(

Will get it in the future still after ff3.

Now we need ff5 and ff6 to be ported and oh ff13 ;)

Tizoc

Oh cool hey, let's check out how much this is!

UV1EZdu.jpg

D-damn! But at least it's on Humble too. I'm going to check there instead!

ii68Sz9.jpg

Thanks for nothing Square Enix!

Have you tried Greenmangaming? Otherwise consult SteamGAF for tips on trading with Russians.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I've never played an FF game. Is FF IV the best one on Steam?
I haven't played this on Steam, but if it's based on the DS version, then YES.

The beastiary, building maps, the increase on difficulty while not being cheap, the new ffvs, etc, make this version superior than Snes and GBA versions. Can't speak on the PSP version though, but this game is way better than FFVII or VIII, and this version doesn't seem dated. Graphics are the only arguable point against it IMO, although I personally find the DS 3D cute...

There's some on the Steam page, at least.

ss_be188a02bc984123a3b6d2b0528dae43eb968f02.1920x1080.jpg

ss_9f83c3201c26bf0c11f1e513efdcf533a2826df8.1920x1080.jpg

Those look terrible... I know the DS version lacked texture filtering, but why is it off for the PC version? Why didn't they spend a little time bumping the texture quality a bit?

(edit) To be clear, I'm GLAD Squeenix is bringing more FFs to PC and I'll likely get it... but just a few small tweaks could make the game look so much better. This seems very bare bones for the premium price they're asking.

I really hope all this Final Fantasy on steam stuff means that someday we'll see FF XII on there. Cause man I would buy the hell out of that and continue to never complete it.

It is more likely that we will see everything they've released on iOS on Steam. Porting from PS2 to PC is a little more difficult.

Aeana

Those look terrible... I know the DS version lacked texture filtering, but why is it off for the PC version? Why didn't they spend a little time bumping the texture quality a bit?

(edit) To be clear, I'm GLAD Squeenix is bringing more FFs to PC and I'll likely get it... but just a few small tweaks could make the game look so much better. This seems very bare bones for the premium price they're asking.
Because if you filter textures that are that low resolution they will lose all of their detail. It just becomes a blurred mess of colors. They could have upgraded the resolution of the textures, but it seems that this port was done by a company that is frequently hired to just convert mobile games to PC releases so that was probably beyond the scope.

On the bright side, it's probably not impossible for fans to take on that task.

Dylan

... Bahamut's megaflare can't be reflected, ....

Does not compute. I've never beaten him without wall.

Also, this thread reminded me that I'm actually about 10% through the DS version. Had totally forgot I had this game on the go. Sweet.

Ultimadrago

I despise FFIV, so I won't be getting this until the $5> range, but it is nice to see more of them officially released to PC.

Falk

that puzzling face
Because if you filter textures that are that low resolution they will lose all of their detail. It just becomes a blurred mess of colors. They could have upgraded the resolution of the textures, but it seems that this port was done by a company that is frequently hired to just convert mobile games to PC releases so that was probably beyond the scope.

On the bright side, it's probably not impossible for fans to take on that task.

We had this exact same discussion in the FFIII Steam thread.

Pick your poison.

Pick your poison.

The difference between FF8 and FF4 is that they could have reworked the textures during the porting process of 4 rather easily, where as FF8 is barely being held together by the digital equivalent of duct tape and twine. (something I alluded to in my post).

As Aeana said, at least on PC the odds are that we'll have some people who'll eventually work on a texture mode for it.

randomkid

Supposedly, the DS version is the hardest version of the game ever released, and that's a good thing IMO, I'm not especially good at jrpgs, but found the difficulty of this version spot on.

Yup, basically if you want some semblance of mechanical depth or difficulty, you get the version of FF4 on DS, smartphones and now PC. But if you don't need that in your FF4, then it's GBA all the way, preferably the bug-free European version.

People might tell you that the PSP version includes a bunch of extra content you should play, but it's all dumb fanfiction-y fluff that's not very good or fun, so it's not worth bothering with imo.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The difference between FF8 and FF4 is that they could have reworked the textures during the porting process of 4 rather easily, where as FF8 is barely being held together by the digital equivalent of duct tape and twine. (something I alluded to in my post).

As Aeana said, at least on PC the odds are that we'll have some people who'll eventually work on a texture mode for it.

It's literally the android game put under the emulator.
The thing had zero budget.

Unai

The game got a lot easier when I found out that magic was infinite if it was used as an item in the menu if you have a weapon that does that magic. (I only fonded that out in the last dungeon, though)

cafemomo

Supposedly, the DS version is the hardest version of the game ever released, and that's a good thing IMO, I'm not especially good at jrpgs, but found the difficulty of this version spot on.

It was a challenge.
I found the DS FFs (bar EoT and RoF) really challenging for a FF games.

Especially III and 4HoF

Almighty

Well I bought it via key trading(my first time doing that) so I think I know what I will be playing the next few days until Wasteland 2 hits.

I thought low-poly art was the new pixel art? Don't see why people are complaining so. Texture filtering would make everything look like a blurry mess in this case. This has a certain charm to it.

Almighty

Well I think I prefer the graphics to sprites if I am being honest. Anyway after playing the game a little bit it kind of reminds me of playing on a game on a PS1 emulator with all the setting turned up to try and make the game look really nice. I actually kind of find it charming.

CHC

A port of a port of a port (seriously). It shows. For 16 bucks they could at least address the super janky 2D sprites previously concealed by a tiny DS screen. Characters are endearingly low poly but all the 2D stuff trying to hide in plain view is really not cute on a >24" monitor.

For those on the fence about this game:

The soundtrack is one of the absolute best RPG soundtracks ever made. it's varied, emotional, memorable, catchy and absolutely triumphant. It stands tall with some of the absolute best tracks of the series, some fucking INSPIRING battle music and even though the story is simple with little chibi characters awkwardly emoting all over the place, the music WILL tug at your heart strings and get you involved in the story.

If you are a lover of good classic videogame soundtracks then you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Top Bottom