• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#EGX London 2014 || The Event Formerly known as Eurogamer Expo

Spookie

Sunset Overdrive - After a 1:30 hour wait, this was a disappointment. Watching it, I was set that this was going to be a great game for Xbox One. Stunning particle fx and colour vibrancy makes it stand out, along with the interesting weapons. Nice library fit with Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. Once I actually played it, the dealbreaker was the movement speed. Before we started, the hosts even answered one of the most frequent questions they've had which is why there's a lack of sprint. The explanation is they want players to grind more than walk on the ground. They also said don't aim because that's boring. I followed their suggestions and even on grinding, it's still slow as molasses. You don't speed up as you get better or grind more. The platforming isn't as fluid as other games, there's not much of a flow. It doesn't help when there is a comparison analogue like Infamous. I seriously don't get the design decision of why you're so slow with a game trying to focus on platforming. Also, it confirmed my fears of having boring zombie enemy AI even in a horde mode.

You tended to really gun it after the 3rd or 4th leap, bit like Titanfall really. But it's fucking hard to get your head around, but almost everything can be swung from or bounced on.

hodgy100

So, as the show is ending tomorrow and next year Earl's Court won't be available, so a question for all you attendees: Would you go next year if it is outside London, as it has been hinted that it won't be in London?

I travel down from nottingham every year to go so if it were elsewhere I woulld still go.

Bumhead

Banned
You London people don't realise how easy you have it sometimes.

God forbid anyone cross the Watford gap. There's no civilisation beyond there.

As a Northerner I really like coming down to Earls Court and making a weekend of it in London, but Birmingham is definitely easier from a travel point of view. And it'd be a significantly cheaper affair all round.

Hope it's back at Earls Court after that though.

Spaghetti

the NEC would be a pretty good venue in terms of accessibility from the south, seeing how it's right next to birmingham international train station. people coming from london basically get a train straight to the venue.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thanks to anyone who swung by the Mario Kart 8 championships this weekend! My voice is totally gone.
You're not the same person who was throwing out the prizes at the Smash Bros tournament are you? Because they threw them all over my head like a big meanie. :(

Seanspeed

Banned
9fb81c513d_never-alone-by-agb-gifs-d7hqb5d.gif

Never Alone (trailer) - You guys, this could be the Brothers of this year. I thought it'd be a breezy narrative adventure but it's quite a challenging cinematic puzzle platformer. Based on Alaskan native culture, you play as either a young girl or an arctic fox (you can switch with Y). While you're playing, there is some narration from an Inupiat elder. There even is local co-op which works even better. Definitely will get this game, and play with my sister. If one of you dies, it's so sad ;_;
Definitely looking forward to this one.

the NEC would be a pretty good venue in terms of accessibility from the south, seeing how it's right next to birmingham international train station. people coming from london basically get a train straight to the venue.
Yeah, I had no issues for EGX Rezzed as it was very direct. Made a longer travel, so more music and reading :)

Mokubba

- DriveClub(PS4) - Wait time about 5 minutes. I mean, it looks good. Really good. But the surprise for me was how it felt. It has good weight to it, its responsive, and while extremely forgiving by my sim racing standards, will still provide a good challenge for most people, I think. The courses are really long as we've seen, and there's good variety as you drive through them, giving you a good sense of 'going somewhere'. Only complaint was absolutely laughable rubberband AI. I totally ripped through the AI and was miles faster than them, but once in the lead, the 2nd place guy suddenly stuck on my tail and then just zoomed by me before the finish in a straight line like it suddenly had an extra 300hp or something. Totally not exaggerating that, either. I honestly laughed out loud when it happened. Still, this game will be great.

Gotta say #Driveclub is pretty legit. Felt great.

Awww Yea.

I'm liking what I'm hearing.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So the friend I was supposed to go with today screwed me over and isn't going now. I didn't want to go on my own so now I'm sitting home being mad :(

I had a shot of Alien Isolation at the PS4 both, it being one of the only games I'm really interested in for next gen. I left impressed. It was brutally difficult, and really tense.

Also in that area was The Evil Within. I didn't care for this one much to be honest. The frame rate was all over the place, really bad at times. It played almost exactly like Resident Evil 4, which was a positive, but ammo was so scarce that I couldn't even get past the first two enemies without dying a lot.

The bit about Evil Within doesn't sound good man. I knew there would be problems since a Japanese developer was working with an American engine. What system did you play on?

Also how is Alien Isolation on PS4? 30 FPS or 60 FPS? The video I saw yesterday looked a bit jaggy (shader aliasing)

Jofamo

The bit about Evil Within doesn't sound good man. I knew there would be problems since a Japanese developer was working with an American engine. What system did you play on?

Also how is Alien Isolation on PS4? 30 FPS or 60 FPS? The video I saw yesterday looked a bit jaggy (shader aliasing)

I played The Evil Within at the PS4 booth, in a section that also had Alien Isolation and Shadows of Mordor. I didn't spend a huge amount of time with it, but I definitely noticed the erratic frame rate when moving into different rooms and with the fancy lighting going on. I'll blame the difficulty and lack of ammo on my own skills though. It's hard to get accustomed to new control schemes on the fly.

Alien ran really smoothly to me. I can't quite remember the framerate, but it was solid at whatever it was, didn't notice drops or spikes. The one thing I did immediately notice however was the pretty bad aliasing. It was very noticeable.

Stuart444

I've still not played everything I would like to but I am more or less done now. Feet are killing me, will probably leave after the tearaway dev session.

It's been a fun 4 days though. More details after I get home on Monday, hate typing with this phone.

King_Moc

Banned

I can back that evil within impression up. Framerate felt chugging and below 30. To the point that I felt it hard to play. XB1 version.

Alien on PS4 was 30fps. Looking around felt a little floaty too.

jimbor

Banned
You London people don't realise how easy you have it sometimes.
Nothing stopping you from moving to the best city in the world, bro.

I only wanted to try out the Oculus Rift, managed to do that and was pretty impressed, even though the demo I tried (Private Eye) wasn't all that.

MouldyK

So the friend I was supposed to go with today screwed me over and isn't going now. I didn't want to go on my own so now I'm sitting home being mad :(

My friend did that a year ago, so I went alone. Still had fun as I was free to look a what I wanted.

This year, I took my friend on Thursday to show her how it was, then went alone the next 3 days. Would have been better with someone, but I still got some freebies like an Xbox T-Shirt and 2 Xbox Goodie Bags.

Also, there were many 4-Star Dragonballs on display at many of the stalls, so I decided to take a picture of one in my hand with my phone with the flash on and then this happened:

10395810_10202056140799210_4858052073152887549_n.jpg

Also, smaller ones, but less effect:

10675769_10202056156639606_121704338613421067_n.jpg

Audioboxer

2 short videos I took, one of PS UK team saying thanks/bye with an invasion of a guy with an Xbox One T-shirt and the second is a guy winning a Driveclub competition where they gave away a PS4.

PS UK guys were great all weekend, lovely people.

Bloodborne was my favourite game. Amazing.

PlayStation UK team saying thanks at #EGX: http://youtu.be/gK4uUcdHVaA

Playstation UK Driveclub winners awards at #EGX: http://youtu.be/Qp_6GHcgw1k

SKINNER!

Banned
I felt kind of bad but I had to laugh at this particular kid's reaction during the tournament. He basically had a mental break down and quit with more than half the races to go. When he went up on stage at the conclusion of the tournament he had his arms crossed with the grumpiest look on his face lol.

The only real winner in that contest.

You should have given it a whirl dude - I went on my own a few years back, and actually felt a bit more enjoyable and mobile being on my own. Didn't have to worry about asking what others wanted to watch, or making other people wait while I queued.

Wasn't able to go this year as I didn't move quickly enough to get tickets, and I was pretty ill over the weekend anyway. But I'll keep tabs and try go along next year. I used to write for a website and got press tickets and entry an hour early which was great, but I don't get those privileges any more sadly.

Mikeside

Big Pharma was fantastic
Can't wait to play that at home.

Loved Gang Beasts, BigFest, Elite and Lumino City too

A fantastic year for indies

Skele7on

Banned
quite literally the busiest I have ever seen it.

Alien Isolation was great.
Evil Within was ruined for me with the camera angles and Assassins Creed blasting out.
Evolve was great
Sunset was okay.
Halo was awesome
The drinks prices were okay
The Sparrow photo op was the MVP of the event.

Also I would just like to say, the amount of people that had to sit down in queues were ridiculous.

Coral Griffon

Lionhead, Game Director
the beta is on Oct 16th. So you'll be able to play it yourself. if you have an xb1 of course

While I'd love to be able to invite the world to play Fable Legends, just to be clear, the beta that begins on Oct 16 is closed and highly limited. Just a couple thousand people at first.

This isn't a marketing exercise or demo. We have many months of work to do, and we're looking for player feedback on an unfinished game, where players will indeed see unfinished assets (characters, levels without finished art, etc.)

We will be adding players every few weeks, but we'll remain small in number in 2014.

Audioboxer

The guy who came up to me to say my #PS4NoDRM T-shirt was awesome doesn't happen to be on GAF? Didn't have time to speak for long. I was mentioning GAF a lot, but mostly to developers. Velocity2x guys are amazing.

Next year a GAF T-shirt will be printed. I had a PS T-shirt that said Sony <3 Devs and @hollieb thought it was a real one :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7StbTGf8Pgw

is this threadworthy?
Didn't find any recent Until Dawn threads, really like that video though.
Should be a lot of fun if everything turns out like the developer describes

Looks really nice. I'm sure we're going to hear plenty of people bitching about how linear it is and how the developers are frustrated filmmakers, but that's obviously what the developers are going for, in the same style as Heavy Rain.

quite literally the busiest I have ever seen it.

Alien Isolation was great.
Evil Within was ruined for me with the camera angles and Assassins Creed blasting out.
Evolve was great
Sunset was okay.
Halo was awesome
The drinks prices were okay
The Sparrow photo op was the MVP of the event.

Also I would just like to say, the amount of people that had to sit down in queues were ridiculous.

What happened to you coming to the meet then eh?

Ronnie

Banned
I went three days and had a great time, more so than last year. I actually think of the big three Nintendo probably stole the show, there was a LOT of buzz around their booth, helped by Splatoon and Smash U tournaments on the big screen. Some of my highlights...

gaming-elite-gangerous-screenshot-06.jpg

Elite Dangerous
Apart from maybe Zelda U this is probably the game I'm most looking forward to at the moment. I played the original on the NES and the sequel on the PC all those years ago, incredible memories. This game is looking pretty much perfect, I can't believe there don't seem to be anything that looks off with it. The EGX set-up was excellent, 12 stations all arranged in a War-Room like circle, half hour queue to play at most, very friendly staff. Must have queued to play it about 6 times in total, one time the dev very kindly let me take off and re-dock on the station which wasn't part of their usual demo. Incredible game, can't wait for release in a couple of months.

Splatoon-Screenshot.jpg

Splatoon
I also can't speak highly enough of this, so much fun. The tactical play is great and it's a lot of fun hiding in your own ink ready to ambush any opposing players. Looks great and I reckon we've only barely scratched the surface of the final game. The lady on the mic for this did an incredible job. No idea where she got all that energy from for four days.

lumino-city.jpeg

Lumino City
My god this game looks spectacular. The original on iPad was excellent but so short, this looks about ten levels up from that, the dev I spoke to mentioned it was a 10 hour game. Cannot wait.

Captain Toad
Loved it but it wasn't anything new, having seen the E3 demos I practically had the stages memorised. Nice visuals.

Sonic U and 3DS
Dear god the controls are diabolical. The 3DS is a tad more playable though.

Yoshi's Woolly World
It looks really nice but to be honest I get such a New Island vibe from it that it's a bit off-putting. Seems to play EXACTLY like it, though the levels seem bigger in scope.

Kirby
Decent enough fun. I prefer the Triple Deluxe style of gameplay though.

Drive Club
If you're into driving sims it's probably fantastic, but it just bored me tbh.

sunset-5-pc-games.jpg

Sunset Overdrive
Seemed a bit chaotic and all over the place to be honest. Changing weapons seemed very awkward and aiming wasn't the easiest. Looked stunning though and will probably be fun. Not sure horde mode at night was the best way of showing it off. Nice to see a shooter that has a bit of creative imagination.

4294663972.jpg

Also liked: Affordable Space Adventures (definitely picking that up) and Ori and the Blind Forest (the XBox staff were useless and just stood back and let you get on with it, unlike the extremely friendly Nintendo people),

m11-ss11.jpg

misstake1.png

never_alone_3.jpg

indiegamestowatch-1.jpg

Special mentions to the indie stuff upstairs: Velocity 2X, The Room 3, Never Alone, A Light in Chorus (wow), Mushroom 11 and The Marvellous Miss Take.

Alien Isolation and EVE Valkyrie were pretty cool with Oculus.

All in all a fantastic show. Very very busy but if you time things right it's not so bad. Can't believe how long people queue to play Call of Duty 27.

(as people can tell I like my games colourful!)

Flamesword

Neo Member
My first time attending Eurogamer this year and was quite impressed. I'll definitely attend next year.

We only went for the Friday but I think I'll do two days next time as it wasn't enough time to see everything (the queue for Evolve was 2 hours by about 10.30 AM).

Managed to fit in some play time with

Far Cry 4 - seems really fun but not sure how different it is going to be from Far Cry 3 aside from the location change.

Alien Isolation - Disappointment of the day for me, still wondering where the depth and replayability is and the controls seemed extremely sluggish.

DriveClub - A friend wanted to see this (Sold my PS4 a couple of months ago for my first gaming pc) but the delay seems to have done it good and it looks and plays pretty nicely.

EVE Valkyrie - Playing this on Occulus Rift was the highlight of the day for me, feels extremely immersive and stuff like this might persuade me to invest in the tech (despite the guy running the stand being a bit of a dick and trying to make us play a weird pick up a gun and shoot down a corridor game which I didn't get the name of after queuing for 2 and bit hours).

Dying Light - Had a lot of fun playing this and the blend between melee and parkour seems to be quite well done. Imagine it could be a lot of fun in 4 player co-op.

Also found some time to play Minecraft Hunger Games but getting killed by two 5 year old kids caused much hilarity for everyone but me.

The merchandise stands were pretty varied and I didn't think the prices were bad at all, got 3 really nice posters for £5, T-Shirts were reasonably priced and decent quality and they had other stuff like getting a bullet with an engraving on.

Would recommend the Dev sessions as well, you could sit and watch them on big tv's or go into the hall and watch it live. We turned up at 12.45 for the Division which started at 13.00 PM and got into the hall no problem at all. Aside from Occulus I thought that was the best looking thing of the day and something I'm really looking forward to.

4294663972.jpg

Also liked: Affordable Space Adventures (definitely picking that up) and Ori and the Blind Forest (the XBox staff were useless and just stood back and let you get on with it, unlike the extremely friendly Nintendo people),

Wait, Ori and the Blind Forest was playable?! How did I miss this?

Also, nice to hear A Light In Chorus wow'd other people too :)

Ronnie

Banned
The Xbox stand was pretty terribly laid out, not surprised you missed it. Playstation one likewise. Nintendo seemed to lay there's out so you can play and watch other games while you're queuing. Worked much better.

Denton

Wait....
Is that the same presentation that was live today around 4pm?

Because if that's the case it wasn't Damien talking, it was a rather lovely lady.... who had a male voice. So.. I'm not sure what gender he/she is, but she was pretty. I mean that in the most respectful way, of course.

I have no idea, but the presentation I have seen (or the last 15 minutes of it) was done by a definitive guy from CDP, Damien Monnier.

Top Bottom