• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 4: Balance |OT| A Feast of Crows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pluto

I'm ready, Korra is a pretty good series, seasons 2 was a misstep but even that had some good episodes and characters. It's no TLA but few shows are, I hope for a good final season.

Hamlet

Whoa, that's so much sooner than I was expecting.

I assume this will be stream only? So no long waits between episodes like Gravity Falls?

Yep online only so it'll be put up on Nicks site every Friday and if it follows the same path Book 3 did episodes will also probably be available on Hulu, Amazon and Google play.
So yeah unlike Gravity Falls there's a good chance Book 4 will be finished around December unless Nick decides to do something crazy again.

VeeP

I'm pretty excited. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, we can get to see Toph & Zuko do some badass bending one more time, and General Iroh as well.

Beyond that, here we go.

Yep online only so it'll be put up on Nicks site every Friday and if it follows the same path Book 3 did episodes will also probably be available on Hulu, Amazon and Google play.
So yeah unlike Gravity Falls there's a good chance Book 4 will be finished around December unless Nick decides to do something crazy again.

Excellent news, thanks.

Fingers crossed that Nick don't do anything crazy and keep it weekly. I really hate what DisneyXD have been doing with G.F.

Mononoke

Banned

Yeah...

As much as Nick has been awful with this show, I'm kind of surprised they don't try to make the finale an "event" like they did with ATLA. Because despite the ratings, they know the Avatar fan base is big. And this IS the end of the series of the show. And probably the last Avatar series we'll have in a long time.

Then again, it is Nick.

I'm only on episode 3 and whenever Korra has an angsty "I HATE MY PARENTS AND TENZIN" moment (which is pretty much all the time), I want to bash my head into the wall.
Character undevelopment.
tumblr_inline_nbi52fsuXN1rn5cii.gif
With Nick's attitude with the series, we might not get another Avatar related one in a long while.

Mononoke

Banned
Character undevelopment.

With Nick's attitude with the series, we might not get another Avatar related one in a long while.

Maybe ever. Nick doesn't put it beneath them to squat on their dead IPs. Even if Avatar does continue on, I do think this is THE END in terms of having the original creators/writers. It won't be the same again. And while Korra was not 100% as good as ATLA, and wasn't always on the same level of writing/style, it still felt like it belonged in the Avatar world. Felt like it was made within the same era of creativity from an artist. That ends with Book 4.

Maybe ever. Nick doesn't put it beneath them to squat on their dead IPs. Even if Avatar does continue on, I do think this is THE END in terms of having the original creators/writers. It won't be the same again. And while Korra was not 100% as good as ATLA, and wasn't always on the same level of writing/style, it still felt like it belonged in the Avatar world. Felt like it was made within the same era of creativity from an artist. That ends with Book 4.
;_; I hope Nick would sell the IP to someone capable.

Book 4 renamed from Balance into Canceled
Heh, if S4 is still in early development when Nick decided to dump the series, it might just be the case.

Mononoke

Banned
I was talking to my friend about this, but I really wonder what they can do for a final conflict in this season. It seems kind of bizarre in hindsight, that they would use something like Harmonic Convergence in Book 2. That is a very substantial plot within the world of Avatar. You could argue, it's even more important than Aang vs Ozai (it wasn't executed as well, but in terms of the scope, and the impact it would have on the entire world. Also how long running this battle is, and how it determines the entire world moving forward).

Point is, something like Harmonic Convergence is HUGE, and would have been a good way to end the series. What can they possibly do to top that? Normally I would say, they wouldn't need to. But since this is the end of the entire series, I feel like they have to do something to kind of solidify Korra's legacy. It can't just be another mini-side conflict like Zaheer right? Doesn't it have to be something big, that kind of is the final statement for this character? So what could possibly happen in the world (conflict wise), that ends up being her final challenge? Or at least, the final challenge the audience gets to see with her....

And even on a character level, I just wonder what they can do, to kind of get everyone into a final place with the series. I know it's already too late for all the side characters to have this done meaningfully. But still, they have to do something...right?

Hamlet

Yeah...

As much as Nick has been awful with this show, I'm kind of surprised they don't try to make the finale an "event" like they did with ATLA. Because despite the ratings, they know the Avatar fan base is big. And this IS the end of the series of the show. And probably the last Avatar series we'll have in a long time.

Then again, it is Nick.

Yeah i'm really surprised at just how quiet Nick has been for what is the final season of the show you'd think they do something big for it and yet only two weeks away and still no trailer or actual information about the schedule for the show.
But then again this is the same Nick that pushed out Book 3 with the minimum amount of advertising as possible.

;_; I hope Nick would sell the IP to someone capable.

Give it to Amazon I say they've been trying to develop more shows and also animated shows recently and i'm sure it'll get better treatment than Nick gave it.
Netflix would also be nice.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah i'm really surprised at just how quiet Nick has been for what is the final season of the show you'd think they do something big for it and yet only two weeks away and still no trailer or actual information about the schedule for the show.
But then again this is the same Nick that pushed out Book 3 with the minimum amount of advertising as possible.

Give it to Amazon I say they've been trying to develop more shows and also animated shows recently and i'm sure it'll get better treatment than Nick gave it.

At the very least, I would expect them to section off Episodes 12 and 13 and make it like a mini-movie event. Blast the commercials, this is THE END of the series. Drum up dat nostalgia and guilt w/ Aang and Sozin's Comet. Really not that hard to do.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. But I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: I hope they ramp up production for the finale. I thought Book 3's finale was amazing (in terms of the scope and the atmosphere). But I really thought some of the art looked rushed and sloppy (the animation itself was awesome).

dosh

That would be nice. I'm re-marathoning all of AtLA these days and realizing how much I'm going to miss this universe when Korra's final book is over (all the more so since I really liked how Korra expanded on the lore and ideas of Avatar).

Mononoke

Banned
When you guys think about it though, we've had it pretty good. Like, if you consider Korra and ATLA one big show, we pretty much got 113 episodes total. That is almost unheard of, even for live action drama shows that go on for too long.

So honestly, as sad as I will be to say goodbye, I feel petty good with what we got. Apart of me wonders if it's just better to leave it as is.

Man that is some good animation.

I honestly think Book 1 has much better animation/production than Book 2 and 3 (Book 2 goes without saying for the first half). I recently re-watched Book 1, and the expressions and overall animation fluidity is much better than Book 3. Either they got less production $, or the lack of time is a result of the difference in quality. But Book 1 is just stunning.

I'll take your word for it, but book 3 had some top of the line quality animation as well. The lightning in that gif is freaking good though. I need to rewatch it myself.

rexor0717

This thread isn't moving fast enough, so let me stir up some shit. Season 3 Korra > Season 1 A:tLA. Better villain (Zaheer>Zhao), better story, better finale, better animation. It was better. Now, book 2&3 of A:tLA >> Korra as a whole, but that should be obvious.

Mononoke

Banned
I'll take your word for it, but book 3 had some top of the line quality animation as well. The lightning in that gif is freaking good though. I need to rewatch it myself.

Oh I'm not saying it was bad. It was amazing. It's just, Book 1 looks more polished and some of the details are a lot more impressive. Book 1 is gorgeous! Also the facial expressions are a lot more detailed. But yeah Book 3 had such amazing animation. IMO it had the best action/choreography out of the series (maybe even ATLA minus Zuko vs Azula).

This thread isn't moving fast enough, so let me stir up some shit. Season 3 Korra > Season 1 A:tLA. Better villain (Zaheer>Zhao), better story, better finale, better animation. It was better. Now, book 2&3 of A:tLA >> Korra as a whole, but that should be obvious.

I agree with this. Book 3 was also more consistent.

So, I'm predicting once Season 4 wraps up there's going to be a large LARGE post by Azula, Satch, and Veelk, doing an overview of the series, faults, missteps, triumphs, and a final farewell to the Avatar series.

Followed by SnakeSaluting.jpg.

Mononoke

Banned
So, I'm predicting once Season 4 wraps up there's going to be a large LARGE post by Azula, Satch, and Veelk, doing an overview of the series, faults, missteps, triumphs, and a final farewell to the Avatar series.

Followed by SnakeSaluting.jpg.

Prob going to be crying like a baby.

Heck yeah season 3 of LoK was better than season one of TLA. I actually liked season one of LoK better than season one of TLA but I may be in the minority on that one.

Tuck

Season 3 still had some issues, but it was definitely the best season we've had so far. Hopefully they can make season 4 one to remember as well.

As it stands, I enjoyed most of season 1 and 3, and about half of season 2.

Oh I'm not saying it was bad. It was amazing. It's just, Book 1 looks more polished and some of the details are a lot more impressive. Book 1 is gorgeous! Also the facial expressions are a lot more detailed. But yeah Book 3 had such amazing animation. IMO it had the best action/choreography out of the series (maybe even ATLA minus Zuko vs Azula).

Yeah the fight choreography was definitely amazing in book 3. I don't remember enjoying watching the fights that much in TLA. Azula vs Zuko is super hard to beat though for obvious reasons.

Hopefully season 4 is at least as good as season 3. Please no more teenage angst romance crap, just like season 3. Since this is the final season i think there will be romance in this season.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah the fight choreography was definitely amazing in book 3. I don't remember enjoying watching the fights that much in TLA. Azula vs Zuko is super hard to beat though for obvious reasons.

Yeah, it's kind of unfair too, because you can tell they put a lot of production $ and time into the finale. It was more thought out, and was meant to be an epic grand scale thing. It really showed. The series finale for ATLA was pretty breathtaking in terms of the set pieces.

Considering that Book 3 didn't funnel production cost into the finale (like ATLA's Book 3 did), it's super impressive how awesome Korra Book 3's finale was.

Luna Sy

Neo Member
I bet someone important is going to die.

Looking forward to discussing each episode here in this thread.
*subscribes to thread*

Chariot

I still have my money of Opal being part of an evil organisation which may or may not be the Red Lotus. If I'm wrong I will wear an male, not-anime avatar for a month. I still stand by that.

I disagree, I think Season 3 of Korra is better than any season of ATLA.

Season 3 Korra > Season 1 Korra = Season 2 ATLA > Season 3 ATLA > Season 1 ATLA > Season 2 Korra

Mononoke

Banned
I still have my money of Opal being part of an evil organisation which may or may not be the Red Lotus. If I'm wrong I will wear an male, not-anime avatar for a month. I still stand by that.

I still think it will be a tough sell, to convince us that Opal was able to join an evil organization under Su's nose, especially when she raised her family in a tight knit city she built. Unlike herself, her kids didn't really venture out past their hometown. So I dunno. Well, I guess if she had Red Lotus members already in the city, they could have taken her to the dark side over the years. But eh. EH. I still think people are reading too much into an awkward animation transition. Who would have guessed a camera pan on her face would cause millions to suspect her as the ultimate evil.

Would be so low to do that to Bolin in the final season. Hah.

Hamlet

Hopefully season 4 is at least as good as season 3. Please no more teenage angst romance crap, just like season 3. Since this is the final season i think there will be romance in this season.
Now you've done it now there's going to be a love triangle fight bewteen Korra, Mako and general Iroh.
But yeah hopefully its kept in the back as the romance stuff has never really been that great in the show.
Except for Korrasami Believe
heh Kale Hydra.
I hope not as that would be another blow for poor Bolin and from what we've seen of her she doesn't really strike me as the sort to be secret evil villain.
It'll be Ryu if its anyone.

Mononoke

Banned
Alright, I'm here. I didn't like seasons 2 or 3 at all, but this is the end, so I might as well give it one last chance.

Interesting. Why didn't you like Book 3? And you liked Book 1? Not calling you out, just curious. I hate Book 2 personally. But loved Book 3. So am interested what you didn't like about it.

Same. I'll take another stab at the first few episodes, but I can't say I was impressed with what S2 and 3 delivered.

Same question to you! Curious what you guys hated about Book 3.

MartyStu

I am so ready for this. We really need a trailer though.

I both loved and hated both of the first 2 seasons.

Season 3 was pretty good though. Definitely up there with the original series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom