• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 4: Balance |OT| A Feast of Crows

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Watched the first season live and then missed the last few seasons, so I'm just gonna binge the whole thing once the final season concludes. :D

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Aren't they necessary part of world building though?
Inner monologue in a television is a big no no, we avoid like the plague for a very good reason. Exposition is one thing, but the amount of exposition seen in anime is off the charts.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Well, this caught me by surprise.

After how good S3 was, I'm happy we are getting more so soon, but also sad that this is the final ATLA related thing (besides the upcoming LoK game) that we will get in a long time :(

Mononoke

Banned
Well, we know Unalaq's ultimate goal was to open the portals and let Vaatu free so he could become some Dark Avatar and rule or whatever. When that began is irrelevant because that was his motivation (as it is presented in the show) the entire time. Could have been after Red Lotus dudes were caught during Amon's rebellion. We know at least why Unalaq did what he did and it and it made sense even though it was still awful evil guy doing evil thangs.

Zaheer has no depth. He says the same thing over and over. He reminds me of Stevo from SLC punk without any depth or pay-off to the character. Zaheer had nothing going for him. He's Amon and Unalaq without a backstory. Zaheer story wise is less developed than Amon and Unalaq.

I think you are wrong, his motivation was NOT presented as him wanting to be the Dark avatar the entire time. Initially, he argues that the world is out of balance since Avatar Wan messed up by locking away darkness. He believed the world had fallen out of spirituality.

It's not until the back half that we see that Unalaq is a liar, wants to become the Dark Avatar and rule the world, and also kill Light itself. So either all the shit he said throughout the show was a lie (and he was just evil), or you believe he was once genuine in his beliefs, but eventually was seduced by Vaatu and lost his mind. The problem is, the show never really shows this play out. And they also give us glimpses of his past that insinuate that he was always a bad person, and was always a liar. So that kind of throws out the idea he was seduced. Which means he was always just bad.

So if his motivation all along was to just be the evil avatar....to rule the world, then that is just being evil to just be evil.

lol I don't see how you can claim Zaheer has no depth while defending Unalaq. If you argue that his goal was to open the portals..because of spiritual balance, so what. Doesn't tell us how he came to believe this. Doesn't tell us anything. We just get flashbacks of him being a liar and a douchebag even from an early age, with no explanation how he got to that point. And while you COULD argue he eventually got seduced to the dark side, we are still shown that long before he would have slipped into madness, he was doing terrible things.

I'm not going to argue Zaheer had tons of depth, because he didn't. I agree, I think all the villains on Korra lack substantial depth when it comes to character development. There isn't enough time in this format to properly flesh them out. But I don't see how you can argue Unalaq had depth and a compelling back story, when it's basically the same format as Zaheer (ie. he has a motivation thrown out there, without explanation how they came to that motivation). At least Zaheer's had follow through and wasn't a contradiction.

My issue with Unalaq is that, he just wasn't a compelling villain on any level. Whereas at least Zaheer was fun to watch, and his crew were menacing (their fight sequences were amazing). Unalaq was just bland all around. At best, you could argue that since Unalaq had Harmonic Convergence tied to his plot it feels more substantial. But his specific plot itself was awful.

Zaheer's philosophies made sense tbh. He laid out what he believes, and why he feels his actions are needed to move the world in a different direction (again, not that far off from the vague explanation given for Uanalqs supposed motivations). Difference is, Zaheer actually believed in what he preached, and was trying to accomplish something.

I still can't believe we are less than 2 weeks away from the final season of Korra. I hope Nick can give us a final trailer before it starts, if only to hear a new piece from Zuckerman.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a panel at NYCC? It would be late for a trailer - and non-sensical IMO - but I have always liked them, and they commonly release plenty of info about the current season in those events.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
what, this soon?
amazing, why can't all shows do this

They also dropped the whole humans and spirits live together thing after just 1 episode. Really harmonic convergence was waaaay to dramatic in its change and we had to deal with the red lotus, the airbending nation reprise and the spirits living in the physical world.

Eventually they (rightly imo) decided to go with the more bombtastic red lotus. Being tied to 13 episodes suck.

Harmonic Convergence arc was like Dragon Ball GT.

Sketchbag

Banned
I think you are wrong, his motivation was NOT presented as him wanting to be the Dark avatar the entire time. Initially, he argues that the world is out of balance since Avatar Wan messed up by locking away darkness. He believed the world had fallen out of spirituality.

It's not until the back half that we see that Unalaq is a liar, wants to become the Dark Avatar and rule the world, and also kill Light itself. So either all the shit he said throughout the show was a lie (and he was just evil), or you believe he was once genuine in his beliefs, but eventually was seduced by Vaatu and lost his mind. The problem is, the show never really shows this play out. And they also give us glimpses of his past that insinuate that he was always a bad person, and was always a liar. So that kind of throws out the idea he was seduced. Which means he was always just bad.

So if his motivation all along was to just be the evil avatar....to rule the world, then that is just being evil to just be evil.

It does say he wants to become the Dark Avatar and Vaatu his bff. It doesn't do it anywhere well but it does it.

lol I don't see how you can claim Zaheer has no depth while defending Unalaq. If you argue that his goal was to open the portals..because of spiritual balance, so what. Doesn't tell us how he came to believe this. Doesn't tell us anything. We just get flashbacks of him being a liar and a douchebag even from an early age, with no explanation how he got to that point. And while you COULD argue he eventually got seduced to the dark side, we are still shown that long before he would have slipped into madness, he was doing terrible things.
Unalaq still has more depth. We know why he's doing it. We know his plan. This makes him a better character than Zaheer.

I'm not going to argue Zaheer had tons of depth, because he didn't. I agree, I think all the villains on Korra lack substantial depth when it comes to character development. There isn't enough time in this format to properly flesh them out. But I don't see how you can argue Unalaq had depth and a compelling back story, when it's basically the same format as Zaheer (ie. he has a motivation thrown out there, without explanation how they came to that motivation). At least Zaheer's had follow through and wasn't a contradiction.
Some form of seduction and envy is still better than nothing at all. Unalaq was jealous of his brother in some regard and coupled with his bs I wuv Vaatu he had some depth. Still more than Zaheer.

My issue with Unalaq is that, he just wasn't a compelling villain on any level. Whereas at least Zaheer was fun to watch, and his crew were menacing (their fight sequences were amazing). Unalaq was just bland all around. At best, you could argue that since Unalaq had Harmonic Convergence tied to his plot it feels more substantial. But his specific plot itself was awful.
Fun to watch =/= more depth. Bland =/= more depth. This is what we're discussing.

Zaheer's philosophies made sense tbh. He laid out what he believes, and why he feels his actions are needed to move the world in a different direction (again, not that far off from the vague explanation given for Uanalqs supposed motivations). Difference is, Zaheer actually believed in what he preached, and was trying to accomplish something.

Zaheer's philosphy does not make sense. He is part of a secret "society" that wants disorder or essentially anarchy. He is a contradiction. This isn't even fleshed out. It's bullshit to the highest degree.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I hope this is the best of them all. Wanna cry at the end heh.

Man, seeing that gif after all the FFXV stuff makes me want some kind of Avatar/Korra RPG. Exploring an open world, battling with elemental powers in some kind of real time battle system. Now Im sad :(

I'm happy we're getting anything at all. But this would be awesome!

Odds Zaheer shows up again? I just feel like they would have killed him off like all the other villains in the show if he didn't have a role in the next season.

Biker

Neo Member
tumblr_nbe2yyIvPS1s42nmfo1_r1_500.png

I am ready for the Korrasami.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, the artist made Korra a giant there.

Rymuth

Hey guys, I was not around her for the previous OTs but now I think Book 4 is a good time as any to join the discussion. Here's hoping we leave Korra on a positive note when we say our final goodbye. The character's journey has been rather depressing.

Verelios

Hey guys, I was not around her for the previous OTs but now I think Book 4 is a good time as any to join the discussion. Here's hoping we leave Korra on a positive note when we say or final goodbye. The character's journey has been rather depressing.
After the end of book 3 I have to agree. Korra's a bad avatar but she isn't a bad person. Hope she keeps her head up and stays the hell away from Mako. The boy isn't right.

Electrocuting a person to death. Just isn't right. Asami's a much better friend.

Raxus

if this is a book then why cant i read it

Subtitles brah.

Season 3 went a LOOOOONG way for me for respecting Korra as an avatar and the series as a whole. Here's hoping they go out on a high note. I'll be shocked if Zaheer isn't brought back up again.

Mononoke

Banned
Subtitles brah.

Season 3 went a LOOOOONG way for me for respecting Korra as an avatar and the series as a whole. Here's hoping they go out on a high note. I'll be shocked if Zaheer isn't brought back up again.

Would be interesting if this Season was all low key, and didn't have a major conflict lmao. Obviously that won't happen. But I'm still curious to see how they go out on a major note. I can't imagine them coming up with anything of the scope of Harmonic Convergence. So I see it being a smaller scope/personal conflict like Zaheer was.

It's kind of strange, because Korra has already left her mark by re-creating the air nation.

Would be interesting if this Season was all low key, and didn't have a major conflict lmao. Obviously that won't happen. But I'm still curious to see how they go out on a major note. I can't imagine them coming up with anything of the scope of Harmonic Convergence. So I see it being a smaller scope/personal conflict like Zaheer was.

It's kind of strange, because Korra has already left her mark by re-creating the air nation.

I'd honestly would love a season with no major avatar-ending plot. Just a season of Korra recuperating and trying to find a proper way to keep the title of Avatar relevant in a modern 'peace' time world.

Mononoke

Banned
Any one think Toph Beifong will finally show up? She's mentioned in all seasons but no bite. I just want her to return. :(

I kind of fear for her return. I've found most of the cameos to be kind of lackluster. Although people seem to love Iroh. So *shrugs*.

I guess Zuko was fine, although I wish they would have done more with him. But his appearance was funny. I also liked how Zuko didn't realize Korra could still talk to Iroh (was kind of a touching moment). SO MAYBE they could do it well.

I actually think Toph would have the most reason to come back. Because so much of her family (and their problems) have been apart of this show. So with her cameo, it would actually bring something substantial to the table. It wouldn't feel forced. I would have originally said no, she isn't going to be in Book 4 if she wasn't in Book 3. But we already know they are going to GO BACK to Su's city, because of that captain. I kind of figured Book 4 would move away from the earth kingdom, and would take place in the Fire Kingdom and Republic City entirely.

But since they do seem to be holding on to Su and the Earth Kingdom, why not?

Mononoke

Banned
I'd honestly would love a season with no major avatar-ending plot. Just a season of Korra recuperating and trying to find a proper way to keep the title of Avatar relevant in a modern 'peace' time world.

Yeah, I kind of would be okay with Korra reacting to the changing world as a result of her actions. I don't really think we need another major conflict. They should keep this season grounded, and focus more on the shifting landscape of the world as a result of her actions as Avatar. THAT I would love. It would also give them more room to work on the characters (vs having it be all about the action/conflict).

This show has become like Dexter though, in that you know they will the villain of the season. :p

Biker

Neo Member
Wait.

People actually think Korrasami is going to happen? Like, for real in the show?

L O L

People are more enlightened now. There was a gay character in ParaNorman and a Disney show has a Lesbian couple and LoK is geared towards a more mature audience than either.

Why not?

Dispatch

I would not be surprised to see Korra find a way to connect to the past Avatars. In fact, that might be the journey we see this season. As her body heals physically, her connection to the spiritual increases until she finds a way to heal the broken connection.

Mononoke

Banned
There was a gay character in ParaNorman and a Disney show has a Lesbian couple and LoK is geared towards a more mature audience than either.

Why not?

Because it wasn't built up from the beginning. Regardless if other channels have been making steps in the right direction, Nick (like any kids network) still doesn't like to rock the boat. It's hypocritical, because Avatar has always pushed the boundaries (especially with its dark/adult themes). They can have mature themes, and even allude to heavy violence (genocide even)....but a gay main protagonist? Nope. That's too much.

Korrasami would have had a shot, if it was always digital starting with Book 1. But the fact is, this show was written in mind of being aired on TV. And as such, all the romance in this show has always been geared toward heterosexual relationships.

Honestly, as much as I like Korrasami in concept...I do feel relationships need to feel natural. Granted, Korra has always had terrible romances that felt unnatural (lmao how forced and terrible was Mako and Korra in Book 1?). I just feel like if they made Korrasami a thing, it wouldn't be what they had in mind from the beginning. Like they decided to just make the characters bi-sexual for the sake of it. I dunno.

Korra and Asami didn't even talk 99% of Book 2. Book 1 ended with her boyfriend cheating on her with Korra, and Korra taking her boyfriend from her. I dunno. I'm not seeing this deep relationship grown over time, that would make them realize they are in love. Not only do I think it's impossible because of BS politics, but I also kind of think it would be kind of terrible.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
tumblr_nbe2yyIvPS1s42nmfo1_r1_500.png

I am ready for the Korrasami.
Cartoon network didn't allow the AT team to make an episode about PB and Marceline's previous romantic relationship(due to it still not being accepted in other countries), I highly doubt Nickelodeon will allow it.

Popnbake

Odds Zaheer shows up again? I just feel like they would have killed him off like all the other villains in the show if he didn't have a role in the next season.

We may see him again but I think Zaheer is just going to spend the rest of his life in a more secure prison.

Since this is a few weeks away, has there been any hints to who the new villains (if any) are going to be?

Cartoon network didn't allow the AT team to make an episode about PB and Marceline's previous romantic relationship(due to it still not being accepted in other countries), I highly doubt Nickelodeon will allow it.

??? When did this happen?

Mononoke

Banned

In the past (Book 1 and 2)? NO CHANCE. The creators have always been adamant on sweeping past season conflicts under the rug. They've said in interviews that they do this on purpose, so each season can be it's own separate thing. However, I've noticed a shift in them trying to make seasons more bridged (with more continuity carrying over).

I think the writers in a post-Book 3 interview said Zaheer would NOT be a focus at all this season. That he was completely out of the picture. So I could see him making a cameo (maybe in Prison). But that's all we'll get, nothing substantial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom